Anonus Watches Star Wars: The Original Trilogy

124»

Comments

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Miko said:

I... hope the expanded universe doesn't attempt to explain sound traveling through space...? ^_^;

Not that I've ever heard...
  • edited 2013-09-21 03:19:20
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

OK, so there are some EU sources that seem to address this, but the most plausible (if one accepts that people in the ships actually hear these sounds) is probably that ship senors are converting the action flying around into sound effects for the benefits of the crew and pilots.

Which could sort of make sense as it's a way to give the crew and pilots some form sense of what's going on that works in all directions.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Aside from 2001, what space movie doesn't have sound in space?
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Oddly enough, I think the first new Star Trek movie did a few scenes that implied that sounds we where hearing where just because the audience was sort of at the perfect perspective to hear them.

In the opening scene, a woman gets sucked out into space and they cut all sound.

Alien, of course, has the tag line "In space, no one can hear you scream." 

But there's ship to ship combat in any of the Alien's series that takes place outside a planet's atmosphere, so it's probably a moot point.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    I think I remember the Battlestar Galactica reboot had muffled sound in space. So space isn't a vacuum; it's just full of insulation.