Anonus Watches Star Wars: The Original Trilogy

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    And now he's fighting Darth Vader
    As this happens, the other heroes try to get back to the Millennium Falcon...and Darth Vader has killed Obi-Wan

This enrages Luke and he attempts to shoot at Vader and the other Stormtroopers

As a spirit, Obi-Wan advises Luke to run

Now the heroes are escaping, and Luke is feeling depressed about the death of yet another loved one. Leia tells him there wasn't anything he could have done; Obi-Wan said the same thing about his aunt and uncle...
    Lots of shooting up enemy starships here!

John Williams's score is very dramatic, and there's this really dated-looking orange screen with yellow graphics, it's kinda cool

The heroes have blown up all the enemy ships, but there's some sort of tracking they've got on the Falcon so they can blow it up...

After an exchange between Leia and Han Solo, my opinion that Luke is kinda dweeby is reinforced

Han Solo's got a crush on Leia!

Now there's this jungle planet..the heroes must be there now

They're at a rebel base where they're getting information on the Death Star from R2
    So now the rebels are going to go blow up the Death Star, and Darth Vader believes that he will end the rebellion

Han Solo still doesn't want to be a hero, and thinks that this is a suicide mission

I admit, Han bidding him adieu with "May the Force be with you" is actually kind of sad, even if it is the most polite thing he can muster...

R2 is getting into Luke's fighter craft with him, and C3PO is very worried about R2's safety, after having spent most of the movie chastising him for everything...Luke hears Obi-Wan tell him that the Force will be with him, and now he is off!
    The fighter crafts are shooting the exterior of the Death Star, and Vader commands his subordinate to send their own ships to destroy the fighters

One of them has been shot

Obi-Wan advises Luke to trust his feeling

The Empire's got some clunky-looking ships compared to the Rebellion...

R2's got something sticking out...what it is, I can't tell

Now the Rebels are going into a crevasse in the exterior of the Death Star, and Darth Vader himself is going after the Rebel ships

Another one's been blown up...but eventually, they come close to their target

One pilot tries to hit it, but he misses

It's up to Luke now, and he and the two ships by him speed into a crevasse

R2's stick-out thing is to fix a stabilizer and increase the power

The Death Star is getting ever closer to the Rebel base...and Luke is ever closer to the target, and Obi-Wan advises him to use the Force and to let go

So he turns off his targeting computer

And he's avoiding the Empire ships like wow and even blowing some of them up

He's succeeded in blowing up the Death Star!
  • edited 2013-09-16 05:08:00
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Back at the Rebel base people are mobbing Luke with glee

But R2 is kinda beat up...

Luke, Han, and Chewie are at a ceremony, and Luke and Han are being presented with medals

C3PO is also there, and a repaired R2 has joined him

This is a huge fake-out scene, as we all know

So, this is pretty much the progenitor of the popcorn movie, and it still holds up
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Yay! Did it live up to the hype?
  • edited 2013-09-16 05:14:38
    I guess...

Also, the rights to the soundtrack are held by "Fox Fanfare Music, Inc.", and this movie is the only entry in the franchise that isn't owned by Lucasfilm; it's owned by Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation

I do admire Lucas for getting to own his creations (even if it was only because Fox had no faith in this one), even if he eventually sold them to Disney...
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    That is pretty cool!
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Cue the 20th Century Fox and Lucasfilm Limited logos with the CinemaScope fanfare! And here now is the opening crawl...even back then, the movie was called "EPISODE IV: A NEW HOPE"

Lucas must have had these prequels planned out for a while...
    Fun fact: The movie didn't have the EPISODE IV: A NEW HOPE subtitle when it was originally shown in 1977. That was added a few years later, when the movie was re-released to theaters around 1979(?). By which point, The Empire Strikes Back was already filming...

To my knowledge, the only home video release with the original 1977 version of the movie is the 2006 "Limited Edition" DVD (the 1977 version on one disc, and the 2004 edition on the other disc).
  • edited 2013-09-16 05:52:53
    I think the LaserDiscs are the originals...

Anyway, I know about midi-chlorians (even though they were introduced in The Phantom Menace), and I can see now why they anger so many fans

The Force is presented as something anyone can tap into if they work hard enough...midi-chlorians kind of took away the accessibility that had.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Leia actually told them that the rebel base was on Dantooine, which is presumably a different place from Tatooine

/nitpick
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Originally, C-3PO was going to be a fast-talking "used car salesman" kind of character.  Look at the dialogue where he convinces Luke's Uncle to buy him; trying to sell himself.

They tried to get Mel Blanc (the voice of every single looney toons character except Elmer Fudd, who was voiced by his good friend Arthur Q. Bryan) to do C-3PO; but Blanc liked Anthony Daniels's voice for 3PO so much he requested that Lucas keep Daniels's voice instead of dubbing it.
    I know who Mel Blanc is...(and the female Looney Tunes characters were almost always voiced by June Foray!)

I heard "Dantooine" but I didn't know if that was just an odd pronunciation or not...
  • Living tissue over endoskeleton.
    Dantooine is usually depicted as a planet of cliffs and grassy plains, generally much nicer than Tatooine.

Why the names are so similar, I dunno. I'm sure there's a reason. The Expanded Universe is like that.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    The expanded universe is all "Every name and passing reference from the movies must be explained in exhaustive detail! We hate leaving things to the audience's imagination!" Like...

Hey, Anonus, remember when Luke and Ben first meet Han at the cantina, and he's selling them on how fast the Millennium Falcon is? Did Han's line "It's the ship that made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs!" stand out to you at all?

The expanded universe felt the need to explain that line, and it's a really stupid explanation.
    Did they explain why that one stormtrooper hit his head on the doorframe
    MetaFour said:

The expanded universe is all "Every name and passing reference from the movies must be explained in exhaustive detail! We hate leaving things to the audience's imagination!" Like...

Hey, Anonus, remember when Luke and Ben first meet Han at the cantina, and he's selling them on how fast the Millennium Falcon is? Did Han's line "It's the ship that made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs!" stand out to you at all?

The expanded universe felt the need to explain that line, and it's a really stupid explanation.
    I thought about a "parsec", but did not look it up...
  • Living tissue over endoskeleton.

He's a clone of Jango Fett, who despite his reputation as a deadly bounty hunter was prone to hitting his head because his helmet limited his vision.

There's a deleted scene from Attack of the Clones that shows him doing that.
  • MetaFour said:

it's weird because like now that i am older i see how annoying/stupid this is

but when i was little it was SO COOL and the endless minutiae were what i really loved about Star Wars >_>

He's a clone of Jango Fett, who despite his reputation as a deadly bounty hunter was prone to hitting his head because his helmet limited his vision.

There's a deleted scene from Attack of the Clones that shows him doing that.
    discontinuity
    (04:22:08 AM) AliceTensei: I swear every single character who appeared in the Star Wars movies has their own novel by this point. 
    (04:22:23 AM) CentralAve: Even Ewok #17?
    (04:22:33 AM) AliceTensei: Especially Ewok #17.
    (04:22:38 AM) Nova: He has a whole series.
    (04:22:50 AM) Nova: Ewok #17: HERO OF THE IMPERIUM
  • edited 2013-09-17 01:28:23
    When was this and where was this?

Anyway, it's amazing to me how much milk has been obtained from this franchise...no wonder Disney wanted it
    It was in #yackfest in January

The conversation just reminded me of it was all
    I'm starting The Empire Strikes Back now.
    Spoiler: Vader is Luke's father
    Here's a trailer for the Star Wars Trilogy featuring the guy who went on to do voiceovers for Kids' WB!...he says this is our last chance to own the original versions of the movies.

Now here's the second part of a three-part interview Leonard Maltin had with George Lucas. He planned out this movie even as Fox doubted the viability of the first. Guy was ballsy.

Spoiler: Vader is Luke's father

Hey! >:O
    y'know I have a VHS copy of the Star Wars Trilogy that states "this is your last chance to own the original" blah blah...I wonder if it's the same one
    If it's the "Faces" set, then yes.

Here's the THX Deep Note, a little screen about picture formatting, the 20th Century Fox logo with the titled "0", and the Lucasfilm Limited logo!

The opening crawl starts, and the music sounds better this time...I dunno if the tape's in better condition or something. The opening crawl is harder to read with a 4:3 picture...
    My dad has that set of tapes too
    So a robot was shot out of a ship and is cruising the icy planet of Hoth.

Someone riding some stop motion dinosaur kangaroo gets a look at another robot. Turns out this someone is Luke, who has split up with Han Solo to look for signs of life.

Some sort of Yeti-like creature knocks Luke and his mount unconscious and drags them off. Han Solo goes to the new Rebel base, where Chewbacca looks to be repairing something. Han enters what appears to be some sort of research base, where Leia resides and someone else is looking for signs of life.

Han has to leave in order to pay off Jabba the Hutt. Even since the last movie, he hadn't gotten around to doing this. He bids Leia a quick goodbye, but not so fast! Leia attempts to persuade him to stay, but he does not (though he attempts to get Leia to kiss him first)
    She'd just as soon kiss a wookiee

and yeah, that's the set I have
    C3PO is upset that the heating has been turned on, because otherwise Leia's clothes can't dry out.

He informs Han that Leia attempted to contact him on his communicator, which he turned off, and that nobody knows where Luke is.

Han tells someone else to go to the south entrance to see if Luke came in that way.

The temperature outside is dropping too rapidly for his Ton-Ton (aforementioned mount) to survive, says someone else, but Han says he'll see him in Hell and goes off anyway.

Turns out Luke is hanging upside down in the monster's cave. He tries to get himself off the ceiling to no avail, then tries to reach his lightsaber...which he summons to his hand with the Force, amid the entrance of the monster! He frees himself, then strikes the monster unconscious and runs off into the snow, where he stumbles.

Han is still looking for him, and back and the base, C3PO tells R2-D2 not to worry about Luke. Luke is still stumbling throughout the snowy land, barely able to see through the storm. Han dismounts his Ton-Ton and scans for him with some long antenna-bearing thing.

Back at the base, they give up hope for Luke and Han's safe return, close the doors, and C3PO says that R2 says that the chances for their survival are 725 to 1, though R2 has been known to make mistakes.
    C3PO reassures R2 once more, though Chewbacca seems to be crying. He must be very close to Han...

Back in the snow, Obi-Wan appears as a spirit and beckons Luke to go to the Degoba system and learn from the Jedi master Yoda. After he disappears, Han shows up and checks to see if Luke is alive. However, his Ton-Ton dies soon afterward. I like stop-motion, but the Ton-Tons' stop motion hasn't aged very well.

As Luke babbles about the vision he saw earlier, Obi-Wan cuts open the Ton-Ton and shoves Luke inside, telling him it will keep him warm until he gets the shelter built. He takes some objects I can't make out off of the Ton-Ton's body.

We cut to some Rebel ships cruising Hoth. "Rogue 2" has found Luke and Han, and brings them back to the base. Luke recovers in a tank full of water, and in his healthy state he is jubilantly welcomed back by C3PO. Han hits on Leia some more...
  • edited 2013-09-17 03:16:49
    For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Well I can tell you so you don't have to look it up. A parsec is a unit of length (about 3.26 lightyears), not time. So Han Solo's claim that the Millennium Falcon made the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs makes no sense!

The expanded universe authors tackled this discrepancy by explaining that the Kessel Run is a race through The Maw, a region of space that's just lousy with black holes. The safest route through The Maw is also one of the most circuitous, while the shorter and faster routes are much more dangerous. The route Han navigated, less than 12 parsecs long, was insanely dangerous and would have been outright impossible if his ship were any slower.

Why did I say before that this explanation is stupid? Because the movie itself offers a much simpler explanation. Right after Han's "less than twelve parsecs" line, notice that Obi-Wan responds with a "How stupid do you think we are?" look on his face. This makes Han immediately backpedal from the Kessel Run line of bragging and talk up some more concrete accomplishments instead: "I've outrun Imperial starships. Not the local bulk cruisers mind you, I'm talking about the big Corellian ships now. She's fast enough for you, old man."

Basically, when Han mentioned "less than twelve parsecs" he was just BSing Luke and Obi-Wan to see how much money he could get out of them. It didn't mean anything more. (I haven't read the original screenplay, but allegedly it more or less confirms that this is what's happening.)

The Expanded Universe: complicated backstories founded on misunderstood character psychology. Yay.
    And Leia makes out with Luke, before everyone but him departs to hear a message. Something is coming for the Rebels, and it's not a lifeform...

It's one of the machines from earlier, which Han destroys with his blaster. Turns out the machine's an Imperial probe droid. The Rebels are going to evacuate, but not before the debut of the Imperial March. Lots of Imperial ships in space, one of which has none other than Darth Vader himself on it! His subordinates have found the Rebels on Hoth...
    tauntaun
    MetaFour said:

Well I can tell you so you don't have to look it up. A parsec is a unit of length (about 3.26 lightyears), not time. So Han Solo's claim that the Millennium Falcon made the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs makes no sense!

The expanded universe authors tackled this discrepancy by explaining that the Kessel Run is a race through The Maw, a region of space that's just lousy with black holes. The safest route through The Maw is also one of the most circuitous, while the shorter and faster routes are much more dangerous. The route Han navigated, less than 12 parsecs long, was insanely dangerous and would have been outright impossible if his ship were any slower.

Why did I say before that this explanation is stupid? Because the movie itself offers a much simpler explanation. Right after Han's "less than twelve parsecs" line, notice that Obi-Wan responds with a "How stupid do you think we are?" look on his face. This makes Han immediately backpedal from the Kessel Run line of bragging and talk up some more concrete accomplishments instead: "I've outrun Imperial starships. Not the local bulk cruisers mind you, I'm talking about the big Corellian ships now. She's fast enough for you, old man."

Basically, when Han mentioned "less than twelve parsecs" he was just BSing Luke and Obi-Wan to see how much money he could get out of them. It didn't mean anything more. (I haven't read the original screenplay, but allegedly it more or less confirms that this is what's happening.)

The Expanded Universe: complicated backstories founded on misunderstood character psychology. Yay.
    The EU sounds like it's kinda stupid sometimes...

tauntaun

right, thanks!
  • edited 2013-09-17 03:37:52
    The Rebels are getting ready to evacuate. Some part of the Millennium Falcon is exploding...

Luke bids Chewie adieu with a hug, and Chewie gives him a bigger hug back, before turning his attention back to repairing the Millennium Falcon.

A general approaches Darth Vader in some sort of egg-like thing to inform him that there is an energy field protecting one of the planets in the Hoth system, strong enough to deflect any bombardment. He tells the general to prepare his troops for a surface attack. The admiral whose atttack was unsuccessful has failed him for the last time. We see him being Force-choked to death, and the man standing next to him is his successor.

Now Leia tells some evacuees that a clear flight path will be created for them, as shots are fired at Imperial ships. Luke enters a ship whose other passenger feels like he can take out the whole Empire himself!

Some other Rebels have spotted Imperial walkers approaching the base. They look like giant boxy camels...

The walkers are fired at by Rebel fighter pilots, whose blasters are too weak for the walkers. Harpoons and tow cables are perhaps strong enough to penetrate their armor! However, before one of the pilots can fire the tow cable, he is killed.

The walkers have gotten closer to the main power generator, and they seem close to taking down the shield...though some other Rebels have managed to trip up one of the walkers with some harpoons! It is then blown up with a shot to its neck.

Han and Chewie scramble to fix the Falcon and C3PO bids R2 farewell as the evacuation continues and the battle rages on.

Huh, this white Darth Vader-esque costume is interesting...

Luke's been hit...his ship crashes and a walker is approaching him! He barely evades the walker's foot as it crushes his downed ship, having grabbed a gun right before this happens.

As the base continues its evacuation, Luke shoots his gun - a harpoon-plunger thing - towards the underside of the walker, brings himself upward, slices part of it with his lightsaber, and attaches a bomb to it, then falls back down to the ground. The bomb explodes and the walker falls over.

One walker remains, and it easily shoots down a Rebel ship. Its pilot intends to shoot the Rebel base with maximum firepower, and the rest of our heroes rush towards the Falcon as some more white Darth Vader-looking guys and Vader himself enter the base. The Falcon looks encumbered by technical issues - nothing that can't be fixed the Fonzie way - and a blaster emerges from the ship's exterior, shoots one of the white Darth Vader troopers, and after some fire from the enemy, the Falcon blasts off.

Luke and R2 hop into another ship and leave Hoth. Luke is heading for the Degoba system to meet Yoda. Meanwhile the Empire continues its pursuit of the Millennium Falcon. Unfortunately the Falcon can't go into lightspeed...
    Han attempts to fix the damaged part of the ship, but the ship enters a field of asteroids. Despite being told by C3PO that the odds of successfully navigating the field are 3,720 to 1, he asks never to be told the odds. Several Star Destroyers are themselves destroyed by meteors, and C3PO and Chewie freak out about the chaos. Han pilots the Falcon through a particularly large asteroid in order to throw off the Star Destroyers, and enters a deep cave within it.
  • edited 2013-09-17 03:56:23
    Luke is approaching Degoba, and though R2 expresses reservation, Luke presses on.

Luke lands in a swamp area with pterodactyl-like creatures. R2 falls into the swamp, and some sort of periscope-ish thing points Luke in the direction he should go. He is then taken back under by a serpent-like creature, which tosses R2 out of the water.

R2 is covered in algae - he gets beat up a lot - and after Luke wonders aloud if coming to Degoba was a bad idea, R2 spits out some more goopy water.

Cut to the Imperial ship, where we see Darth Vader's helmet being lowered over his scarred head. He informs the general that he wants the Millennium Falcon, asteroids be damned.

The Falcon is pretty much shut down, except for the emergency power. C3PO has to be plugged into the hyperdrive...
    Dagobah
  • edited 2013-09-17 04:01:36
    Han Solo's getting kinda creepy with this hitting on Leia.

Back on Dagobah, Luke plugs a lantern into R2, and wonders aloud if Yoda even exists. Turns out Yoda is right behind him!

Popular as he is, Frank Oz doesn't have much of a vocal range; Yoda sounds like Grover. And Yoda's eating Luke's food and rummaging through his stuff. Now he's got a flashlight thing and is fighting with R2 over it!

Luke does not know that Yoda is Yoda, and Yoda is imploring Luke to come with him so that they may find Yoda. R2 must stay behind to watch over the camp.

Meanwhile, C3PO tells Han that part of the power equipment must be replaced...
    Grover, eh? I always thought he sounded like Fozzie Bear
    I always thought Grover
    I don't know if I find this Han/Leia stuff heartwarming...C3PO interrupts their kiss to inform Han that he has isolated the reverse power flux coupling. Han thanks him, concealing his frustration.

Darth Vader is informed by Emperor Palpatine that Luke Skywalker could destroy the Empire. Vader says that Luke will join the Empire or die.

Yoda has prepared food for Luke, which he must eat before they meet Yoda. I have a feeling that Rafiki from The Lion King was based somewhat on Yoda...

Yoda can talk to Obi-Wan too, and he is told that Luke must learn patience. Yoda tells Luke that he's too old to begin the training, but Luke tells him he won't fail you and he is not afraid. But Yoda says he will be afraid...

Meanwhile at the asteroid, the Empire is looking for the Falcon. Some sort of creature attaches some suckling mouth to a window, and Leia informs Han of this. Leia, Han, and Chewie get out of the ship to investigate. The ground in their part of the asteroid is pretty moist. Leia has a bad feeling about this. The creature that was attached to the ship has fallen to the ground and is identified as a Mynok(?), and more of them infest the ship.

Han, Chewie, and Leia get back on the ship, and fly off. Turns out they were inside some space whale, and leave its mouth just before it closes.
    Back on Dagobah, Luke is running around and Yoda tells him not to turn to the Dark Side. He also tells him that Jedi use the Force for knowledge of events, and never for attack.

Yoda tells Luke to go into an area where weapons are not needed. R2 has a bad feeling about it, but Yoda silently assumes the worst will not happen.

Luke is now in a cave, where some snake-like creature watches him. Darth Vader (or at least an image of him) comes for Luke, and Luke pulls out his lightsaber and prepares to fight him. All this is in slow motion for some reason, and Luke cuts off "Darth Vader"'s head, which explodes. Inside the helmet is a face that strongly resembles Luke, which takes him aback. Outside, R2's beeping is met by Yoda with silence.
    Boba Fett is introduced! Darth Vader promises him a reward for finding the Falcon and its passengers, and that he wants them alive.

The Falcon still can't go into lightspeed, and its shield has gone down. The ship is now in serious danger, but it is flying very close to the Imperial battleship. The Falcon seems to have a cloaking device...

Back on Daghobah, Yoda is making Luke do handstands and move stones around with his mind. R2 distracts him and causes him to lose his balance, which also causes Yoda, standing on Luke's leg, to fall down.

Something is stuck in the water. I think it's Luke's ship? Luke doesn't think it can be retrieved, but it's only different from moving stones around in Luke's mind. "Do, or do not. There is no try."

With this iconic line, Luke's attempt to get the thing out of the water does not succeed. After Yoda attempts to encourage Luke some more, he brushes him off and tells him he is impossible.

Midi-chlorians really were a shitty idea...