My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (Image-Heavy)

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Fifth season premiere now

Rarity's preferred aesthetic and mine seem to differ a lot

She loves ostentatious bullshit, whereas I only do so with irony
    Applejack can't even make country-isms no more
    To reference another show, this is some there is no war in Ba Sing Se shit
    hey, a season opener that wasn't centered on something meant to sell toys or some piece of worldbuilding that's supposed to be important but will fall by the wayside! been a while
  • Anonus said:

I really hate how the library got blown up in the fourth season finale and replaced with the weird castle

hahaha
    anyway Pinkie Pie coughs up a measuring spoon

finally some grossout humor
  • Seriously though Season 5 was really good once you got past the first few episodes.  The latter half of the season had some of the strongest episodes in the series IMO.
    but i like the first two episodes

and this one so far
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Season 5 was the season of Pinkie eating really gross food.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Did anyone else think "Equestria Games" was kinda fucked up?

Like, let's drop this massive responsibility on Spike at the very last moment and then act shocked that the child who's had no time to prepare chokes in front of a crowd of thousands. I can understand Twilight being that dense, but surely one of the other Princesses should have said "maybe this is a bad idea"?
    Then don't watch "Princess Spike", because it's even worse about that.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I have to confess that one of the morals in "Trade Ya!" essentially being "Being a hoarder rocks!" still weirds me out.
    Rereading the "Equestria Games" transcript, I just noticed something I completely forgot about. After they nominate Spike to light the giant ceremonial torch, Spike himself volunteers to do it with his dragon fire. Which implies that the original plan was for Spike to just use a normal torch. A normal torch that presumably wouldn't magically sputter out if Spike got stage fright. So in a sense, Spike was the author of his own misfortune, even though the choices leading up to that misfortune were neutral ones.

Much like the later, even more awkward scene where Spike insists on singing the city anthem... without first verifying which anthem was going to play.

At what point is Spike accountable for his own actions? He seems to resent it when the ponies treat him like a child, so I can't imagine he would take it well if the Princesses were like, "No, Spike, you can't help with the ceremony. You helped Twilight Sparkle find the Crystal Heart, but getting on stage in front of thousands of ponies is way too much responsibility for you."

"I can handle being on stage! I was the narrator for the Hearth's Warming Eve Play in Canterlot, that one time!"

"Shut up. You can't do it, and that's final."

And it suddenly occurs to me just how relevant "All of My Friends Were There" is:

I have to confess that one of the morals in "Trade Ya!" essentially being "Being a hoarder rocks!" still weirds me out.

And then all those books that Twilight kept because of their sentimental value got burned to ash along with the rest of the library.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    MetaFour said:

And then all those books that Twilight kept because of their sentimental value got burned to ash along with the rest of the library.
    I didn't even think of that!

That's kinda bleakly amusing, actually.
  • Anonus said:

but i like the first two episodes

and this one so far
    Yeah the premiere is good.  I was thinking more along the lines of
    MetaFour said:

Then don't watch "Princess Spike", because it's even worse about that.

Right.

Also, I really don't like Shining Armor or Cadance
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-04-01 23:58:10
    gtfo Cadence is awesome

Shiny is pretty flat I'll admit.  They do try to round him out a bit in S5, but it's still pretty sparse.  And I can never take him seriously with that surfer bro voice.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I watched the Season 5 opener.

Starlight Glimmer has serious mental health issues.
    she "got away" meaning she'll be back later
    hopefully with a psychiatrist
  • Just...keep an eye out for her.  She shows up a couple times.
    I wrote a shortfic about Starlight Glimmer and her issues. But it has spoilers for another season 5 episode, so don't read it if you haven't finished season 5.

I really loved that, in the season opener, a bunch of ponies we've never met before were the ones who saved the day.
  • Yeah that was probably the coolest thing.  It was just a bunch of dudes we never met before and will never see again.
    As soon as they said Double Diamond's name, I knew his special talent would be skiing.
    I had no idea that was a skiing thing
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-04-03 08:48:03
    It's a difficulty rating of different ski slopes, usually by approximating the steepest grade on the run.  From easiest to hardest,

Green Circle, < 25%
    Blue Square, 25-40%
    Black Diamond, > 40%

There are also double and triple diamond courses, which usually means stuff like significant terrain hazard or dropoffs.  For what it's worth, I've run a diamond course before, and they're typically steep but "safe" in that they're (usually) still groomed and you have plenty of room to maneuver or crash safely if you screw up -- though you do have to know how to crash safely instead of just faceplanting downhill ass over teakettle.  Double diamond is where you start getting into stuff that can potentially kill you if you don't know exactly what you're doing, and triple diamond usually means through forest, open cliffs, or worse (yes, there is worse than open cliffs).

There's also an Orange Rectangle, which is for manmade obstacles like halfpipes and stuff.
  • then there's Quadruple Diamond, which is when they make you ski a volcano
  • "Jane, how would you ski a volcano?"

pyroclastic flow motherfuckers
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Yeah, Twilight's library getting destroyed gave me the jibblies.

People should really, really have content warnings on stuff like that.

You heapers could have warned me.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Like, you guys would warn me of such happening in, say, Steven Universe, gravity falls, or other stuff, right?
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Nothing like that happens in either of those to my memory.
    https://derpibooru.org/1123540

This bit really weirded me out the first time I watched "The Gift of the Maud Pie", but now it's growing on me.
  • lol.  "morph ball" tag.
    Aliroz said:

Yeah, Twilight's library getting destroyed gave me the jibblies.

People should really, really have content warnings on stuff like that.

You heapers could have warned me.
    I didn't know you still watched FIM, sorry
    I really don't like how "The Cutie Map" and especially "Bloom & Gloom" conflate cutie marks with special talents to the point that a pony completely loses a certain ability without one

"The Cutie Map" demonstrated that much less haphazardly than "Bloom & Gloom", though Apple Bloom was dreaming at that time so maybe her subconscious was wrong? (I haven't watched anything past that one yet)
    I was thinking about it, and maybe we're seeing the cause and effect backwards.

Like, the way it's presented, it seemed like Starlight was removing their cuties marks and that caused them to lose their special talents.

But if your special talent is what gives you your cutie mark in the first place, perhaps Starlight was taking away their special talents and they lost their cutie marks as a result of that.

As for "Bloom & Gloom", I think we can chalk that up to Apple Bloom's dreams amplifying her insecurities, the way dreams so often do.
    that makes sense
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-04-08 04:15:20
    If Starlight is able to rip a physical and innately magical manifestation of destiny off of someone's ass, it's probably safe to say all bets are off as to the side effects.
    You know, upon further thought, I like "Bloom & Gloom" more than I did on an initial watch.

Because it all seems kinda dumb, but, well, that's the point: it so perfectly encapsulates the way your dreams can take whatever issue you're troubling over at the moment and exaggerate it into some nightmare scenario. It feels very real and relatable in that sense.
    I just like it because it proves pest control is actually a thing in Equestria. Or at least in AB's dreams. That cranky old pest control pony is me.
    I liked "Tanks for the Memories" but feel weird about how we're supposed to buy Rainbow Dash's strong attachment to Tank despite him showing up in like half a dozen episodes before this
    It's funny, because like, it seemed like they were building up to a moral of "sometimes you have to let your friends take care of themselves even when it's inconvenient for you", but, like

Rainbow Dash never had to face any consequences for intentionally destroying all that weather equipment

So it almost felt like they were presenting it as if her actions were reasonable
  • plus

you know

terrorism

Bee said:

Seriously though Season 5 was really good once you got past the first few episodes.

haven't the mane six in general done a lot of destructive things with no consequence
    of course in "The Best Night Ever" Celestia seemed to be banking on that happening but still
    "Appleoosa's Most Wanted" is probably one of the worst episodes of the entire series
    Anonus said:

I liked "Tanks for the Memories" but feel weird about how we're supposed to buy Rainbow Dash's strong attachment to Tank despite him showing up in like half a dozen episodes before this

I almost wonder if Dash is some kind of spoiled rich girl who's never had a personal tragedy of any sort in her life. So she overreacts to losing a pet—for just a few months, at that—because she has absolutely zero prior experience with this.

It would also explain why she has such a nice cloud house.