My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (Image-Heavy)

Comments

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Wish I had known about this sooner:

God bless Dante Basco. 

• Fanfic idea: Princess Cadence replaces twilight as the character to discover friendship.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Canonically Cadance was a pegasus who became an alicorn princess when she learned about love

At least, that's what I've heard; I haven't bothered to look at the book that explained that

Canonically Cadance was a pegasus who became an alicorn princess when she learned about love

At least, that's what I've heard; I haven't bothered to look at the book that explained that

It's true. I've seen it come up many times in FimFiction.

As you may be implying, this makes the show a bit more boring if she replaced Friendship. She's more qualified to teach the maane cast about friendship than the other way around.
  • So I just watched the last two episodes.

CMC episode was meh, but probably better than most of the other CMC episodes.

Fluttershy episode was amazing and definitely one of my favorites.  Also, Flutters has some jazz in her bones!  Damn, girl!
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    This is funnier than it has any right to be: http://m.imgur.com/a/Lgq9a
  • edited 2014-02-24 01:23:45
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

I saw the first one of those on Derpiboo.ru but not the rest. I laughed when she was leaning against the burger.

Clever what they did with the fries, as well.

This episode was a bit confusing and mostly "meh" for me, but as bee pointed out, it was a CMC episode so there wasn't a high chance of it being great. It did have it's moments:

Also I pretty much completely loath Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon. I know we're not suppose to like them, but they somehow get more and more horrible with every episode they're in. At this point, King Sombra has more depth then the both of them

Anyhow, Enjoy some random pictures: 

imageimageimage
  • edited 2014-02-24 01:27:54
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    It is a bit weird when Diamond Tiara's father, who only appeared for like five minutes in one episode, has more depth to his character than she does to hers.
  • edited 2014-02-24 01:33:09

Yeah, I mean, one gets the impression that Filthy Rich is at least treats others with a little common courtesy and attempts to instill some decency into his daughter.

Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon literially go out of their way to pick on the CMC. It'd be one thing if they were crimes of opportunity, but the pair once wandered all the way to Sweet Apple Acres just to see what the three where doing so they could make fun of it.

I mean... seriously?! At least we get that all the other villains in MLP are power hungry. At this point it's like D.T. and S.S. have some sort of kismesis obsession with the CMC.
  • edited 2014-02-24 01:37:28
    For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Considering how the rest of Ponyville is so relentlessly kind and cheerful, DT & SS's commitment to complete dickery could almost be admirable for its tenacity.

Heh.

Actully, that's kinda a weird point. This might be their way of attempting to stand out. Being raging douche-bags is certainly a bandwagon any one else is going to get in on, so their infamy at least nets them attention.  
    And speaking of one-dimensional characters, it's interesting how the whole Country vs City subplot has changed through the seasons. Back in season 1 and 2, the city characters were all very black-or-white, and broad stereotypes. The good city folk were paragons of class and kindness, like Fancypants. And the bad ones were mindless sycophants like Jet Set and Upper Crust, or boors with zero redeeming features, like Prince Blueblood.

Now, in season 4, the city characters suddenly have a bit more depth to them. Siri Polomare is a truly nasty backstabber—but she's from Ponyville, making her a clear warning about what Rarity could become if she lets the city change her. Trenderhoof is a hipster doofus, but one who genuinely means well. Coco Pommel is a good pony who nevertheless enables Polomare's worst actions through her own inaction, until Rarity shows her that there's a better way. Harshwhinny and Prim Hemline are both the "stern but fair" archetype.

The only one who doesn't fit this pattern is Photo Finish. She's just a force of nature who defies judgement by our morality. She is ze magicks.

The comics did something a little interesting with Fancy Pants. Apparently he's a bit of an art snob and had at least on unkind thing to say about something Fluttershy created.

This could either be him showing he's not quite as kind as the show portrayed him or even show that he's actually just as susceptible to becoming a simpering yes-pony if there's someone in the room with more sway then him. in this case, he was part of a group with an art critic who pretty much hated everything until Celestia showed up and said she liked Fluttershy's offering.

Though, it was never clear if Fancy Pants changed his mind suddenly when Celestia showed up. They did establish that Fleur Dis Lee didn't change her mind and still decided she didn't like the piece. So it's possible Fancy Pants and her simply have strong opinions on art and aren't afraid to hurt a pony's feelings if they think it's rubbish.

• edited 2014-02-24 11:09:42
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Yeah, I don't really think we can call Fancypants a jerk for having negative opinions on Fluttershy's art.

Also,
    I never interpreted DT and SS as being truly cruel or abusive to the
    CMC.  I always interpreted it as being more of a rivalry  Here's my
    hypothetical CMC vs DT and SS episode:

CMC makes awesome go-Kart

DT and SS walk by, they say "Heh.  Nice rickety wagon, blank-flanks.  teeheeeheeehee".

The CMC will then say "Oh yeah!  Well, we can totally beat you in a race.  Where's your Go-Kart?"

And then DT and SS will say, "It is on!  See you at the finish line!".

And then yeah.

Sure, it's antagonistic, but not truly cruel or abusive.

Note that I haven't seen season Four, so I might be barking up the wrong tree here.
  • edited 2014-02-24 16:45:17

Aliroz said:

Yeah, I don't really think we can call Fancypants a jerk for having negative opinions on Fluttershy's art.

Also,
    I never interpreted DT and SS as being truly cruel or abusive to the
    CMC.  I always interpreted it as being more of a rivalry  Here's my
    hypothetical CMC vs DT and SS episode:

CMC makes awesome go-Kart

DT and SS walk by, they say "Heh.  Nice rickety wagon, blank-flanks.  teeheeeheeehee".

The CMC will then say "Oh yeah!  Well, we can totally beat you in a race.  Where's your Go-Kart?"

And then DT and SS will say, "It is on!  See you at the finish line!".

And then yeah.

Sure, it's antagonistic, but not truly cruel or abusive.

Note that I haven't seen season Four, so I might be barking up the wrong tree here.

They're pushing the boundaries of casual bullying into basic evil at this point.

They essentially point out something of a disability in Scootaloo (she can't fly) in an attempt to get the CMC to ruin their chances at winning a competition to represent Ponyville at the Equestria games.

Also, a slight problem with this theory is DT and SS don't really try to one up the CMC. Take One Bad Apple where they saw the CMC making a float. 

There's no, "We'll we're going to make our own awesome float!" It's just, "What's that? It sucks! You suck! Whose the new kid? Oh she thinks you two suck? Awesome. Have we mentioned how much you suck?"

DT and SS are rich and apparently popular if the last episode is anything to go by. There doesn't seem to be any reason to pick on the CMC except for an unnecessary ego boost.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Daaaang.

I like my interpretation better than the actual canon.

And dang, they confirmed that Scootaloo can't fly?  And dang, seriously, DT and SS, mocking her for it?  That's just cruel.  >:(
  • BeeBee
    edited 2014-02-25 02:10:27
    I think Fleur's epic MEH was my favorite part of that comic.  Not just for the silly presentation, but also that she's the one pony in the room -- Rarity included! -- that seems to actually be expressing an honest opinion instead of bandwagoning to get the approval of the art critic or Celestia.  Good for her.

Rarity seemed to by somehow attracted to Fluttershy's piece before she figured out it was Flutters who made it, though. Though she doesn't outright disagree with the other ponies.

However, it's possible she is going with the crowd on the other piece, it's not quite clear.

It is nice that Fleur simply doesn't give a flip that Celestia likes it or not, however.
  • edited 2014-02-26 12:38:58
    (2015 self)
    Another explanation for the Earth Pony attunement being nebulous would be that the parts of Continent Equestria that we see are are at a Craton.

At places of Orogeny, Earth Ponies would be stronger.  Same with, say, subduction zones.

And clearly, Dunite rocks would, since they're from the Mantle, really boost the Earth Pony power a la Alicorn Amulet.  (Dunite in real life is pretty magical, seeing as it could be used to trap atmospheric CO2 and slow down or stop global warming (main problem with that is that Dunite is very, very rare )).

(2015 self)
    I love Derpy and Dinky! Best parent-child relationship!

There's apparently some canon evidence that Dinky might be the daughter  of Golden Harvest and Written Script:

Though, I fine pictures of Derpy and Dinky together as mother and child far to cute toe let the above sway me.

Yeah, Dinky being Carrot Top and Written Script's daughter was the approach I took in my fanfic. I still got some good interaction between Dinky and Derpy by having Derpy basically be an honorary aunt, because she's that close with Carrot Top.
  • edited 2014-03-01 19:05:34

You wrote a fan-fic?!

Why wasn't I informed?!

Anyhow...

I watched the latest episode. I don't know why it never occurred to me it would be Fluttershy's rainbow episode.  There was something of a twist here that caught me off guard in a good way. Rather than learn that her element was something that she should never loose sight of regardless of what the consequences are, Fluttershy learned there are times when unbridled kindness isn't the best approach to all situations.

All in all, a pretty good episode. Not many laugh out loud moments, but it was a Fluttershy episode and that's pretty appropriate and season 4 continues its winning streak. 
    (2015 self)

Just watched the latest episode...

Juuuuust kidding!

That might be the most delightful, smartest, well written, episode yet!

And I laughed like crazy on multiple occasions.
    Which episode was this?

Three's a Crowd.

It's not related to the arc storyline they have going, so if you wanted to check it out specifically, it should work.

Not sure if you've seen season 3 though, there's a plot element that gets explained there.
    (2015 self)
    I saw season Three.

Three.

Three.

My ternary compulsion!

Of course I saw Season Three!

Yeah, I remembered as much when I walked away from the computer a bit and thought about it.
  • edited 2014-03-02 01:24:59
    For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.

You wrote a fan-fic?!

Why wasn't I informed?!

Anyhow...

I watched the latest episode. I don't know why it never occurred to me it would be Fluttershy's rainbow episode.  There was something of a twist here that caught me off guard in a good way. Rather than learn that her element was something that she should never loose sight of regardless of what the consequences are, Fluttershy learned there are times when unbridled kindness isn't the best approach to all situations.

All in all, a pretty good episode. Not many laugh out loud moments, but it was a Fluttershy episode and that's pretty appropriate and season 4 continues its winning streak. 
    The fanfic is in an unfortunate limbo. I'm writing more and revising the old chapters, but it's been slow going, so I haven't been able to update the Fimfic version in about a year. I could link you the version on Google docs, if you want to see what I have so far.

Anyway, "It's Not Easy Being Breezies" was full of nice surprises. Like the way it initially looked like Fluttershy was keeping the Breezies against their will, but then it turned out they really were lazy freeloaders. Or the fact that these creatures straight outta G3(?) weren't sickeningly cute.

Heck, it's funny how this is the most blatantly toyetic episode in recent memory, but the Breezies themselves seem designed to convince the target audience not to get their toys. "Make them all lazy cowards. Except for the sensible one; make him a bit of a jerk. Little girls love that kind of thing!"

I also liked how the scene with Fluttershy and the bees served as a miniaturized version of her character arc for the whole episode.

I'd love to take a look. 

I think this was the best way a handle the rainbow thing yet. Not necessarily the best episode to do it, just that it was far less straightforward, but a good message non-the-less. I'm wondering if they'll try something similar with Applejack.

Episodes like this make me not all that concerned about blatant toy selling. Lots of bronies seem to have a knee jerk reaction to the idea of sea ponies becoming a thing, but it's not like an episode designed to sell new toys means it's going to be bad. 

On a completely different note, I noticed FlashLight seems to be getting less kneejerk hate. It looks like his cameo and an arts or two pumping out the cute FlashLight pics have turned the tide here.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2014-03-08 23:46:39
    Saw the last two episodes.  Breezies were fun and excessively Swedish, though I'm rather shocked the show got away with some of those lines.

The Apple Bloom episode was weirdly enough not one where the CMC were the weakest part.  Applejack was...kinda...

:|

I just watched it.

I noticed CMC episodes tend to work a lot better if they focus on one character. They get a bit much if all three on on the screen constantly.

There where some good references, but nothing too great. Though, nothing that really grated me, either.

I kinda felt the Chimera was a bit of a wasted opportunity for humor... the bickering could have been more entertaining.   

Anyhow, here's a cute picture full of the heebie-jeebies.

Not-So-Creepy-Crawlies by Omny87
    I also recommend you watch that gif while listening to this:

Cool!

I'm still sort of digesting the latest episode. 

Maud is kinda crazy popular at the moment but somehow she didn't click with me. I don't dislike her, or anything, and it was interesting to see them make a pony that was almost impossible to get on with simply because of her incredibly introvert personality. On the other hand, I kinda wondered if they could have expanded the attempts to befriend Maud scenes.

Twilight's in particular. Like, if they had some some sort of thing to signify lots of time had passed as and Twilight's sitting there still listening to poetry about rocks with the sort of strained fake smile, like... we know she's trying, oh Celestia is she trying but she jsut can't wrap her head around Maud.
    I thought the scene as it was already implied that the poetry reading went on for quite a while. Seeing as Maud says she has thousands of poems, then the camera slowly pulls out as she reads her second one...

I think it's interesting how open to interpretation Maud's interactions with the mane six were. Was she having fun, just in a different way than the others intended? Was she bored out of her mind? Was she just lost in her own world? It's impossible to tell. In fact, I like to think that the game of Camouflage ("He was hiding in my pocket") was Maud's idea of a prank. She had heard how well Pinkie's pranks went over, but her own attempt was so badly delivered that nopony else got the joke.
    (2015 self)
    Bee said:

Saw the last two episodes.  Breezies were fun and excessively Swedish, though I'm rather shocked the show got away with some of those lines.

The Apple Bloom episode was weirdly enough not one where the CMC were the weakest part.  Applejack was...kinda...

:|

Swedish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love swedish things!

Swedish!

MetaFour said:

I thought the scene as it was already implied that the poetry reading went on for quite a while. Seeing as Maud says she has thousands of poems, then the camera slowly pulls out as she reads her second one...

I think it's interesting how open to interpretation Maud's interactions with the mane six were. Was she having fun, just in a different way than the others intended? Was she bored out of her mind? Was she just lost in her own world? It's impossible to tell. In fact, I like to think that the game of Camouflage ("He was hiding in my pocket") was Maud's idea of a prank. She had heard how well Pinkie's pranks went over, but her own attempt was so badly delivered that nopony else got the joke.

That was something that occurred to me. For all we know Maud is trying really, really hard in her own way to make friends and is possibly lamenting that her attempts aren't going over very well.
  • edited 2014-03-20 22:22:58
    (2015 self)
    I love how the breezies have swedish accents!  Amazing!  So great!

Okay, C-Breeze was the only one to really talk, and C-Breezehad a scottish accent (and was basically a Nac Mac Feegle) but still.

And Fluttershy can knit with her hooves!  Hooves!  She can knit such tiny clothes!

And man, I felt soooooooo many feels for C-breeze when he said, "nobreezie ever listens to me".  Wow.  Such identify.  So close to home.  Much effective.  Very gutpunch.
    (2015 self)
    I'd like it if Silver Spoon got some character development, like was suggested in Family Appreciation Day (she was the first to applaud for Granny Smith's talk).  That subtly suggested that maybe without the influence of Diamond Tiara, Silver Spoon might not be all that bad.  While I can't say that that totally frees Silver Spoon from all guilt for everything, I would like it if she became more than a satellite character to Diamond Tiara.
    (2015 self)
    So yeah.

Both S.S. and D.T. need like... an episode or something to establish there's something to the characters aside from the resident bully squad. 

This made me feel better: