My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (Image-Heavy)

Comments

• "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    Bee said:

And my favorite fanon on that is that the jealousy wasn't entirely unwarranted either.  Like, maybe Celestia did let their crusades go to her head a bit, and between that and just being more approachable, the public would've naturally gravitated to her.  Lingering guilt over would be the root of her extreme propriety these days -- possibly to the extent of being a bit reckless with trying to clean up her Harmony-induced messes.

Everyone's screwed up!  YAY!

Yes, yay. I liked FiM better when it seemed like everyone was screwed up. It's funny to watch the protagonists make marginal improvements ("Don't be prejudiced against Africans") while living in a screwed-up society. The longer the show runs, the more Family Unfriendly Aesops it's accumulating, ("If you're a PETA, force friends who are farmers to build a wildlife refuge instead of doing it yourself", "If you adopt a boy of another race, don't let him go thrugh puberty").
  • Mr. Darcy said:

Bee said:

And my favorite fanon on that is that the jealousy wasn't entirely unwarranted either.  Like, maybe Celestia did let their crusades go to her head a bit, and between that and just being more approachable, the public would've naturally gravitated to her.  Lingering guilt over would be the root of her extreme propriety these days -- possibly to the extent of being a bit reckless with trying to clean up her Harmony-induced messes.

Everyone's screwed up!  YAY!

Yes, yay. I liked FiM better when it seemed like everyone was screwed up. It's funny to watch the protagonists make marginal improvements ("Don't be prejudiced against Africans") while living in a screwed-up society. The longer the show runs, the more Family Unfriendly Aesops it's accumulating, ("If you're a PETA, force friends who are farmers to build a wildlife refuge instead of doing it yourself", "If you adopt a boy of another race, don't let him go thrugh puberty").
    If you're friend has a big ego, lie and sneak around them to bump their ego down!
  • But anyways, Actually you know, I didn't get that whole "Don't convince your Peta friend, etc etc" Mind, I can understand how people would arrive to that conclusion, but considering the show even said it was difference long-term and short-term goals (Applejack wanted the bats gone Now and Fluttershy was proposing a deal that would eventually help calm them down, but it would take work and effort)
  • It was mostly only broken if you know that from an agricultural standpoint Fluttershy's plan was horribad in both the short and long term.  But then, it's not exactly aimed at adults who actually know how farming works.
  • Bee said:

It was mostly only broken if you know that from an agricultural standpoint Fluttershy's plan was horribad in both the short and long term.  But then, it's not exactly aimed at adults who actually know how farming works.

Plus you know, Animals seem to be more sentient in Ponyland, and when contrasted with the short-term plan of "Use magic to starve these animals"

It's not brought up that making the bats not eat food might actually starve them is it?
  • Completely unrelated.

This.

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis

This kinda just makes me want to watch the whole thing in Japanese.

The voices are very good:

Does this make me a weeaboo?

Anyhow, rewatched "Bats!" with Lain, it was somehow better on a re-watch, but there's a few tweaks that would have made this way better...

Which sadly was true of the last episode and most of season 3. :/

Flutters is me at the moment and I am Flutters.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)

Flutters is me at the moment and I am Flutters.
    Please Elaborate.

Very tired.
  • Also he has spontaneously turned into a small female horse.
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    Justice being taken away, then, what are 4243s but small horses?

• BeeBee
    edited 2014-01-08 21:01:07
    Image broken.

Also, the new episode was...weird.  It didn't actually have all that much comedy, but I guess Rarity would be the one most likely to carry a more serious story.  It probably would've worked better if they just picked one or two of the others to accompany her instead of bringing the entire mane cast along again for no discernible plot reason.  It looks like we got a key out of it at least.  That, or Rarity was on some major LSD every time she looked at the rainbow thing.

Though it was funny to see Rarity smack a model off the stage with a hoofball strongarm.  Her dad would be proud.

I'm kinda sad that we haven't had a memorable song since...S3, really.  All the S4 songs have been really bland.  I can't help but think the episode would've been more in the S1-2 swing of things if her song was more appropriate to the setting instead of Generic Pony Music -- like Sinatra or something.  This show's music has been strongest when it shoots for variety.

Plus I might just really want to see Rarity singing mildly saucy jazz just for the sake of it.  But that can hardly be held against me.

• For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Bee said:

It probably would've worked better if they just picked one or two of the others to accompany her instead of bringing the entire mane cast along again for no discernible plot reason.

I thought throwing together an entire new fashion line in one night was the reason for bringing all the mane six along. It'd have been more of a stretch for just two or three ponies to do it.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2014-01-08 21:19:21
    Dash, Applejack, and Pinkie probably weren't contributing much for more than an hour or so.  I mean no offense to them, but this isn't really their area.  Twilight could at least get away with it on account of crazy magic.

This episode was uncomfortable to watch the first time around, but I liked it better on a rewatch.

I agree the song was weak, and that there hasn't been a good one in season 4 as of yet...actually I'm probably agreeing with Friday on the later...

Apparently the other thing I posted got nuked from Derpiboo.ru.

Marshmelodrama is best tag.

• For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    "Pinkie Apple Pie" is a very good episode.

MetaFour said:

"Pinkie Apple Pie" is a very good episode.

Yes.

I might have laughed harder at it than any other MLP episode.
  • I liked that episode. Nice to see Apple Bloom outside of the Crusaders, Granny Smith being intelligible, and of course I always liked Big Mac.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit

Apparently the new episode was done by a brand new writer.

Hope her or she does more!

This episode had the sort of jokes that kept me coming back in season 1 and 2.

And now for something completely different!

I think I ship Rainbow Dash with her rule 63 counterpart.

CURSE YOU DERPIBOORU! 

imageimageimageimageimage
    (2015 self)
    What the heck?

That's like, selfcest, or twincest.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    It looks like Rule 63 selfcest from here. 

^^ & ^ Someone on FimFiction said it was "multidimensional masturbation".

(2015 self)
    ^ I need to erase that phrase from my brain now. 

Wait, what did Justice post?  -reads-

Eww, I need to erase that phrase from my brain now.

Wait, what did Justice just post there?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Oh crap, Aliroz is stuck in an infinite loop

I'll get the duct tape
  • BeeBee
    edited 2014-01-14 19:03:31
    Just watched Pinkie Apple Pie.

Easily the best episode this season, one of my favorites of the series, and Pinkie is best pony.  Hope to see more out of this writer.

My opinion of Pinkie Apple Pie is the consensus one.

More specifically, Pinkie's enthusiastic attempts to fit in even when the family was arguing were funny and sweet. Big Mac's delivery was funny. And I was laughing at loud at the sight gags with ducks, eagles, and later Goldy Delicious's cats. I wouldn't mind seeing Goldy reappear.

• Honestly, I think the best part of the episode wasn't even any of the gags or anything.

It was right at the beginning before the intro, when Pinkie barges in on Applejack, calls her cousin with this mildly creepy grin, and hugs the shit out of her.

AJ just has this look.  Like "OH GOD HELP."
  • @ That rd pairing, I mind the entire concept of it less than I mind the male rd being the dominant in the relationship. ~takes out a stone and grinds it~

Also, Apple Pie was a funny one, also that pun is as well.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2014-01-15 00:29:58
    Looking back, this episode hits pretty much every note I was complaining about about missing in previous episodes.  Doesn't have a screwed-up moral.  Strong song heavily themed on the setting that actually has a decent melody.  The entire cast isn't tagging along for no reason.

Pretty much the only thing it's really missing is any mention of Pinkie's family.  Who, apparently, are slated to show up later this season.

Also, I was right to expect this face to be a meme:

Bee said:

Looking back, this episode hits pretty much every note I was complaining about about missing in previous episodes.  Doesn't have a screwed-up moral.  Strong song heavily themed on the setting that actually has a decent melody.  The entire cast isn't tagging along for no reason.

Pretty much the only thing it's really missing is any mention of Pinkie's family.  Who, apparently, are slated to show up later this season.

Also, I was right to expect this face to be a meme:

I did find it rather odd that Pinkie was so eager to be part of the Apple family when she has parents and sisters of her own...
  • We can do anything if we do it together.

Bee said:

I did find it rather odd that Pinkie was so eager to be part of the Apple family when she has parents and sisters of her own...

I'm pretty sure Pinkie thinks of the Cakes as her family more than she does her actual family.
  • edited 2014-01-15 22:20:24
    For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.

I'm pretty sure Pinkie thinks of the Cakes as her family more than she does her actual family.
    I was wondering about that myself. Seriously expected that, at some point, Pinkie would reveal that she's so excited about being in the Apple family because she had a falling-out with the rest of the Pies, or something like that.

AJ and Pinkie are friends, but from prior episodes, I never got the impression that they were "I wish we were related" close. (In contrast, if Pinkie had discovered she was a distant relative of Rainbow Dash and had reacted the same way, I wouldn't think it the slightest bit unusual, because they totally are that close.)

I think Pinkie's just a family junkie.

I had already heard Weird Al was going to be in MLP, and was pleased to hear so.

I also predicted he would be shipped with Pinkie.

Someone pointed out that because is name is "Cheese Sandwich" he will likely also be shipped with Big Macintosh simply so people can say "Mac&Cheese".
  • We all know the true ship is Cheese Sandwich x Luna.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Well uh

This is pretty damn cool
  • edited 2014-01-26 01:42:26
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Just watched the latest episode...

Half of it made almost no damn sense, and most the other half was just horribly executed.
  • What!
  • edited 2014-01-19 02:08:09
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Alright, I'll elaborate.

Bulk Biceps was in the Wounder-bolts academy episode, so I'm guessing he should be well above an  average flyer.  Yet suddenly he's one of the absolute worse.

I get that other ponies are on other teams, but Fluttershy? Really?

I also just didn't find Bulk Biceps entertaining, pretty much at all. Felt like the episode was trying really hard to make sure we thought he was funny.

Spitfire and Fleetfoot where just giant bags of phalluses here, ludicrously so. I get they want to qualify, but that's it... They just need to qualify! I guess maybe the idea was that they could get Rainbow Dash to join their team in the games, but this was never stated. 

Despite their desire to win, they were apparently willing to let a perfectly healthy Soarin stay in bed and get disqualified rather than get him back into the team.

The whole thing feels like a collection of far fetched events cobbled together so Rainbow Dash (who is now canonically confirmed as a better flyer than one of the best Wonderbolts) could learn a valuable lesson. 
  • edited 2014-01-19 03:10:42
    For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Copying something I posted elsewhere:

Perhaps there's a subtle, long-running lesson here about recognizing that one's idols are just as fallible and human as you are. So, at first the Wonderbolts seemed perfect because we just had Rainbow Dash's fangirlish descriptions of them. Then we start seeing their flaws: in "Sonic Rainboom" and "The Secret of My Excess", we see them reduced to a bunch of redshirts. In "Wonderbolts Academy", we see their Drill Sergeant ignorant enough of the cadets' goings-on that a near-fatal accident happens on her watch. And in this episode, we see Soarin injure himself through carelessness, and the others resort to underhoofed means so they can field a winning team.

Obviously they're not irredeemable, as the Wonderbolts have responded receptively to Rainbow Dash's criticism. It just seems like, once Dash is officially a Wonderbolt, they'll be learning as much from Dash as she learns from them.

Come to think of it, Rainbow Dash's story arc with the Wonderbolts parallels Rarity's arc with Fashion and High Society. Rarity always believed the scene to be full of artists and ponies who appreciated the arts. But as she's gotten closer, she's found a distressing number of self-important nobodies, mindless sycophants, and dishonest cutthroats. But there are nevertheless genuinely good ponies in the scene (Fancy Pants, Hoity Toity, Photo Finish, etc) and the incident with Coco Pommel shows that Rarity is inspiring change for the better in High Society. Just like Dash is inspiring the Wonderbolts to be better.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Poochie is one outrageous dude! He's totally in my face!

lee4hmz said:

Poochie is one outrageous dude! He's totally in my face!

YES! XD

So... is "Rainbow Dash's Replacement" Derpy's official name now? Will it be on her toys and everything?