My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (Image-Heavy)

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    well we've never seen her parents or anything...not officially
  • edited 2016-04-10 07:53:37
    For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    We probably saw her dad in "Games Ponies Play". In the flashback to Cloudsdale failing the bid to host the Equestria Games, Rainbow was standing on the back of a stallion who had a slightly darker version of her color scheme. If he wasn't Rainbow Dad, he was a big brother or cousin or something.

Which kind of undermines my previous point, maybe. Because apparently Rainbow was really torn up when Cloudsdale didn't get to host the games, so that's a loss of sorts.
    I wish they'd defined Griffonstone better

"Slice of Life" was more enjoyable than I thought it would be
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    It was a dumb episode but it knew it was dumb and had fun with it.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I feel like at some point Kazumi Evans stopped bothering to give Rarity's singing voice the same accent Tabitha gives Rarity's speaking voice.
    the Cutie Mark Crusaders finally got their cutie marks

is it me or are all but Sweetie Belle's basically miniature versions of their sister figures'?
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    HUXSH UP YOUR BRAIN NONNY AND ENJOYTH THE EPLISODE!
    Apple Bloom is an Apple, so of course hers would have an apple in it...
    Sometimes I wonder if any member of the Apple family has entered into a relationship/reproduced with a unicorn or a pegasus

I wonder if the child would also be a farmer or baker or something
    The Apple family seems to reside exclusively in earth pony settlements, and indeed Ponyville itself started as one...
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    IIRC, in that big family photo in "Apple Family Reunion" there were a few unicorn and pegasus children.
    Thoughts on "The Gift of Maud Pie":

Rarity's impression of Pinkie Pie was priceless.

There is apparently only one legitimate business in all of Manehattan that sells rock pouches, I guess. Your only alternative is the shadiest-looking pony on the street.

Though, that said...he didn't really do anything wrong? It's not like he scammed Pinkie Pie; as far as he was concerned it was a fair trade, so it's a little weird that we're supposed to cheer when they intimidate him into taking it back.
  • Nah, it was definitely a scam; if he thought it was a fair trade he wouldn't have applied so much emotional manipulation.
    Yeah, that makes sense.
    "No Second Prances":

At first I wasn't sure I'd like Starlight Glimmer as a secondary protagonist, but now I'm kinda warming up to it. It lets them keep the "friendship lesson" aspect from the first two seasons while also giving Twilight a new challenge as she adapts to her role as a teacher.

I'm sure Trixie attempting the manticore trick on her own wasn't intended as an implied suicide attempt, but it's hard to read it any other way when it was made clear that she would die without Starlight's help.

Also: I love that Starlight recognizes that she should be ashamed of her past, but she's also so lacking in social skills that she's willing to casually chat about it to people she's just met.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    At first, I was baffled that the first few minutes of the episode didn't seem to connect with Starlight's fear that people hated her, but now I realize that it was likely deliberate to demonstrate her paranoia.

I'm sure Trixie attempting the manticore trick on her own wasn't intended as an implied suicide attempt, but it's hard to read it any other way when it was made clear that she would die without Starlight's help.
    I don't know. Considering how many other adult fans thought it was implied suicide, I wouldn't be surprised if the writers intended it.

Of course, since the manticore bowed after the act was over, I suspect he was a friendly manticore, and would have spat Trixie back out if she failed to teleport, rather than just digesting her.

But even if there wasn't a real threat of physical death, Trixie was still risking her career. Her whole tour was a desperate attempt to repair her reputation, to claw her way back to legitimacy. If she had screwed up what was supposed to be the biggest, most impressive routine of her show, that would have just driven away her audience and cemented her reputation as a failed performer. This was Trixie's passion in life—her cutie mark, if I'm reading it right—and she was setting herself up to lose it all if Starlight didn't come back for her.
    Anonus and I are almost caught up!

Rainbow Dash imitating her friends in "Newbie Dash" was amazing; especially her Applejack impression where Ashleigh had to do her Dash voice imitating her AJ voice.

MetaFour said:

I don't know. Considering how many other adult fans thought it was implied suicide, I wouldn't be surprised if the writers intended it.

Of course, since the manticore bowed after the act was over, I suspect he was a friendly manticore, and would have spat Trixie back out if she failed to teleport, rather than just digesting her.

But even if there wasn't a real threat of physical death, Trixie was still risking her career. Her whole tour was a desperate attempt to repair her reputation, to claw her way back to legitimacy. If she had screwed up what was supposed to be the biggest, most impressive routine of her show, that would have just driven away her audience and cemented her reputation as a failed performer. This was Trixie's passion in life—her cutie mark, if I'm reading it right—and she was setting herself up to lose it all if Starlight didn't come back for her.
    That makes sense, yeah. Suicide or not, it was definitely an act of desperation...
    "A Hearth's Warming Tale":

[04:32:12] _Haven_: "maybe you haven't heard about my favorite story, it's the one where you're evil"
    [04:32:34] CentralAvenue: Haven: tbf how ELSE are you gonna get through to Starlight?
    [04:32:40] _Haven_: that's true
    [04:32:52] _Haven_: being evil is like her favorite thing about herself

i hate those sfm ponies so much
  • that gif is art
    hi naney

been a while since you swung by
  • I on the other hand constantly click on this thread by accident.
  • the last time i swung by was the last time this thread was bumped

because as you know, i read every thread

the forever-watching feline
    Why would you name a Changeling "Thorax"

What an obvious name
  • It's like naming a human "butt"
  • hello, meet my child, Jefferson Assmunch
    The only prior named changeling was Chrysalis, which is almost comparable to naming a human "Bed".
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Yeah, but Chrysalis sounds like chris-alece or Chris-alice, depending on your accent. Either way, it's two names. Fitting for a shapeshifters.
    oh hey an episode where Rainbow Dash and Applejack make Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy choke

Jeez, Rainbow Dash, you don't remember "Sonic Rainboom" do you

pictured: an artifact that loves hanging around our heroes whenever it sees fit
    Starlight Glimmer failed to blow up the ugly ass-castle
  • edited 2017-07-06 08:20:24
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Holy shit they can just mind-control other ponies?
    >cucumber sandwiches

Is Rarity the new Spaulding Gray of crap?
    Holy fuck it feels like we haven't been to Sugarcube Corner in like three whole seasons

Not actually that long but still
  • I remember that :3
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-08-30 07:58:46
    So I figured I should finally get around to watching season 6.

Very mixed so far, a lot like S5 was.  High highs and low lows.  Spike finally starring in an episode where he's not a dumbass is nice.  I had to skip over some of the cringier parts of Rookie Dash (for the culmination of her character arc over the whole series, that was fucking terrible).  Saddle Row Review was amazing though -- reminded me of some of the more batshit disaster fanfics.

I guess the lesson is if you're going to do cringe comedy, you can't just go "haha x is being dumb look at how dumb she is", especially if previous episodes have already established that they know better.  Good cringe comedy has to go beyond notions of fault.  Most of the insanity must begin from without, and then resonate with the insanity within.  THEN things can go amazingly to hell!

EDIT: holy crap Fluttershy has the most ridiculously punchable brother what a douchebag
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-09-03 01:03:29
    So it looks like S6 is turning out like S5, where the first half of the season is mixed bag, and the second half is generally strong.

Fluttershy is totally stealing the show.  Girl's grown up a lot, and she's starting to show some teeth as a manipulator.  Also weirdly enough Spike has had a few strong episodes, none of which have relied on him being a complete dumbass like they usually do.
  • even after all this time, I haven't seen an episode that really led me to feel anything outside the range of 'well that was OK' to 'hey, that was some good fun!' on either extreme
  • edited 2017-09-03 05:55:19

though admittedly, looking at how the fandom reacts towards the show and anything related for so long probably made me consciously not feel too strongly on things in general

I did like the latest and the last few eps though
    I just got back from My Little Pony: The Movie. I quite enjoyed it.

The art style of the 2D animation seemed a little cutesier than the show, but I liked it. After all, I'm Central Avenue, I never consider cutesier a bad thing. 😛 Admittedly, though, the sporadic use of 3D animation felt a little distracting...it just didn't mesh very well.

Spoilers:
    Spoiler:
    Tempest Shadow was pretty obviously going to get a redemption plot, but I was so worried they'd mess it up by giving her her horn back to force a "happy ending". That would have totally ruined it...the whole point was that she needed friends who accept her for who she is! So I'm glad they didn't go that route.[/spoiler.]
  • Who is the third pony and when did they start letting fetish fanfic people write the actual episodes
    That's Starlight Glimmer, the pony who ran a communist cult in a remote mountain town in Season 5.
    And then was redeemed and became a recurring protagonist in season 6 and onward.
  • But still hasn't entirely kicked the habit of brainwashing people every once in a while when she panics.
    It's over and I'm sad