My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (Image-Heavy)

Comments

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis

I'm so going to make out with that horse.

Also, played more of the game.

Starter decks? Need to be thinned out a bit. The games seems to be set up so it's very hard to do less than two elements of harmony and you often find yourself flondering in the early turns with half your cards being useless.

Luckily, you can use actions to draw and can even get by for a bit with one element.

The game can turn fast last game we played, I was down by a good probably eight points. Friday scored on both problems (these are basically your face off points where both players score points) but lost the massive face off, given me a few points as well.

Then we flipped to new problems and I could meet all the requirements that turn and easily win the massive face off, so in a matter of two turns, I went from abysmal to having won the game.

Note that both Friday and I a number of cards that where de-powering each other, powering up our own sides.

It's a rather fast paced, somewhat cut-throat game for being about ponies. 

Original character, do not steal.

• "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    Applejack is old as hell, then.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)

Excuse my Swedish, but vad fan??!
  • edited 2013-12-27 21:26:31
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

You all remember Twilight X Dipper Pines, right, RIGHT?!

Well, a Challenger approaches!

• Aliroz said:

Excuse my Swedish, but vad fan??!
    Lol. Poor Young granny.

Oh, internet.

Just saw the latest episode.

Really forced at first. And does every season 4 episode require to have all of the mane six?!

I did feel things improved towards the end, at least....until the very end. Which seemed even more forced than the beginning.

I feel the show has spent the last couple episodes catering to bronies with not so great results.

The comic already caters to bronies, but it does a good job of it.
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens

So the moral was "If you're a PETA activist, don't let friends pressure you into being sane"?

The mama and papa bats were hilariously cute. Meh overall, though.

• For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    A real PETA activist would have found fault with Fluttershy's plan, too. They'd object to anything less than letting the bats run completely rampant over the entire farm. Hell, they'd object to the existence of the farm in the first place, since it destroyed some animal's natural habitat.

(2015 self)
    Mr. Darcy said:

So the moral was "If you're a PETA activist, don't let friends pressure you into being sane"?

The mama and papa bats were hilariously cute. Meh overall, though.

Hey, we can't let the normal people keep pushing us around.

Screw sane people, screw nice, intelligent people.

It's OUR turn to run the world.
  • I enjoyed them, though yeah it felt kinda forced.  I definitely agree that the season seems to be varying pretty wildly within episodes instead of just having a few that are dead weight and a few that are amazing, and instead you get a decent amount of genuinely good moments in most of them.

I'm curious what Fluttershy was thinking with the bats.  Orchards don't just have trees wherever -- they're placed where they are to optimize growth and nutrient distribution, and there are all kinds of reasons farmers graft trees instead of planting them from seed.  Letting the bats spit seeds everywhere would have caused a massive famine a few years down the line and may well have left the whole thing fallow in the long run.

But it led to a really good stakeout scene and ended with Fluttershy's vampirism sticking(!), so whatever.

It's been like 7 episodes and we haven't made any headway on the keys though.  I'm half expecting them to get like one or two before the finale and then just find all the rest on a keyring.  And in the box is a T-shirt.

Heh.

I seen it suggested in FimFiction well get a couple episodes mid season to show the keys have not been forgotten, then they'll maybe wrap it up with the finally.

Honestly, it would be nice if each key was address in it's own character specific episode.
  • Well yeah, that's what we expected when they were first introduced.  It just hasn't gone anywhere yet.
  • edited 2013-12-31 18:27:37
    For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    We've still got 19 episodes left in this season, right?

Even if we haven't directly made progress on finding the keys, the issue has triggered another subplot that's shown up in two episodes already. In "Castle Mania", Twilight went to the old castle in the Everfree specifically to research that key box. And, as we saw in "Power Ponies", that initial trip expanded into a castle renovation project.
  • Yeah that's true.  They've been showing stronger continuity this season than...ever, really.

That's actually really unusual for cartoons.  They tend to have executive gag orders on more than a few offhand remarks.
    Plot points from last season that seemed like they were leading to something larger, but much to my frustration have yet to be touched on again:

1. King Sombra. At one point, the tip of his horn was cut off, but he simply regrew it and used the cut-off piece to spread his crystally corruption beyond where he could physically reach. After establishing this regenerative ability, Sombra's death scene featured a prominent shot of his horn, intact, flying away from the city. It seemed like the writers were laying the groundwork to bring Sombra back (and develop his character a bit more) by giving a way for him to regenerate from being exploded. But, nope. Nothing.

2. In "Too Many Pinkie Pies", Spike just happens to stumble on a secret compartment in the library, containing a secret book that just happens to have information about the Mirror Pool. The book makes a strange reappearance in "Magic Duel", where it just happens to have helpful information about the Alicorn Amulet. How does that secret book have so much information about otherwise-undocumented magic artifacts? That's way too mysterious to just leave as an unexplained plot device.
  • So, I can't be the only one that hopes they keep subtly showing her with fangs from now on.
    (2015 self)
    Bee said:

So, I can't be the only one that hopes they keep subtly showing her with fangs from now on.

I can't be the only one who hopes for a cure.
    (2015 self)
    Triple
    (2015 self)
    If they cannot find a cure, then
    Spoiler:
    Fluttershy has to die. We can't have vampires, they're irredemably evil; and, furthermore, if we continue to hate and murder tapeworms for being parasites, we must do the same to vampires. It will be a tragic, feelings-filled episode where they remember all the good times they had with fluttershy, but in the end have to kill her.
    You're getting cause and effect confused. Vampires have to be killed if they can only feed by killing humans/ponies, or if they can subsist on some other food but kill humans/ponies anyway. If vampires are able and willing to coexist peacefully with humans/ponies, then there's no reason to kill them.
  • edited 2013-12-31 22:38:45
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Bee said:

So, I can't be the only one that hopes they keep subtly showing her with fangs from now on.

Lots of Fans do, it's possibly a throw-away gag, but it would be cool if it surfaced again.

FimFiction is currently being drowned in Flutterbat stories, I thankfully got in early on the fad.

MetaFour said:

You're getting cause and effect confused. Vampires have to be killed if they can only feed by killing humans/ponies, or if they can subsist on some other food but kill humans/ponies anyway. If vampires are able and willing to coexist peacefully with humans/ponies, then there's no reason to kill them.

This. 

Flutterbat isn't an undead, murdering menace. For starters, she's not technically undead, and also, she just sucks the juice out of apples.
    (2015 self)
    MetaFour said:

They're Vampires.  They must die.  Fluttershy is no more.  Only an imitation.

Now is the time for the show to go up to the next level of DRAAAAAAAAAAAAAMA and FEEEEEEEEEEELS.

-note:  I realize that this show has gone the route of "Vampires Aren't Irredeemably Evil; And Aren't Tapeworm-Like Parasites That Can Only Subsist On People/Ponies".  I still hate that portrayal.
    Heck, there's no evidence that the vampire fruit bats, or Flutterbat, are undead at all. So there isn't even the "abomination in the eyes of God" argument against their continued existence.
  • edited 2013-12-31 23:14:04
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    MetaFour said:

Heck, there's no evidence that the vampire fruit bats, or Flutterbat, are undead at all. So there isn't even the "abomination in the eyes of God" argument against their continued existence.

No, there's only the argument that I don't like Vampires in any form.

So there.

Why not have her just become part fruit bat, instead of part VAMPIRE fruit bat?

I realize that you have the right to like it and be fine with it, and that my complaining is baseless other than my own dislikes.

Sigh... I guess I can't like this character anymore.

Wow, Fluttershy.

You managed to make Applejack my second most disliked of the mane cast
  • BeeBee
    edited 2013-12-31 23:09:11
    Aliroz said:

No, there's only the argument that I don't like Vampires in any form.

So there.

Oh come on.  How can you hate a face like this

Also, do you similarly hate vampire fruit?  Like this watermelon?

• edited 2013-12-31 23:20:58
    (2015 self)
    Yes, I hate the former, and the latter is a myth of the Balkans.

Okay, you got me, I can't hate anything Balkan-related.
    (2015 self)
    Anyways, Trixie didn't deserve to get in trouble just because Snips and Snails were being dumb.
  • edited 2014-01-01 22:26:36
    (2015 self)
    I mean, seriously, shouldn't they know better than to wake up an ursa minor?

I don't know if she got into trouble, but everyone knew at that point that she was making stuff up.
    (2015 self)
    Why didn't Snips and Snails get into more trouble (other than mustaches?)

They had to clean up after the Ursa Minor.

I kinda got the impression that ponies in general tend to do stupid stuff like they did and, as scary as this thought is, maybe having entire buildings destroyed just sort of happens everyday in Equestria because of someone's dumb decision. 

So, serious punishment is reserved for when someone intentionally breaks the law or does something really serious.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2014-01-01 23:51:44
    Off the top of my head, Ponyville has been all but razed to the ground on at least three occasions, been under military-grade bombardment by fillies with explosives and a trebuchet, and riots are a regular occurrence.  I imagine rebuilding the town is more of a Tuesday thing.

Exactly.

So, serious punishment is reserved for when someone intentionally breaks the law or does something really serious.

Like, kidnapping princess Celestia and attempting to plunge the planet into eternal night (which, in a best-case scenario, would have killed millions).

"I'm sorry."

"It's okay. Here's your crown back."
  • BeeBee
    edited 2014-01-02 05:05:14
    The comics basically come right out and say Luna's jealousy enabled her to be possessed by some kind of evil force.  It's ambiguous exactly how much of Nightmare Moon was her fault, but it's not all and it's not none.
    The comics also imply that Twilight's mom wrote the Daring Do books.

MetaFour said:

Like, kidnapping princess Celestia and attempting to plunge the planet into eternal night (which, in a best-case scenario, would have killed millions).

"I'm sorry."

"It's okay. Here's your crown back."
    She was banished for 1,000 years. Even if we're turning a blind eye to comic continuity, it's not like some form of punishment didn't take place.
  • edited 2014-01-02 12:26:15
    For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Yes, she got punished for trying to create eternal night the first time, and for trying to kill Celestia. But when the terms of her punishment ended, she tried exactly the same thing again. And that time, she didn't get punished. Because she apologized.

I actually really like the over-the-top idealism inherent in that turn of events. The idea that, no matter how serious your crime, if you sincerely repent and work to fix the damage you've caused, further punishment isn't necessary.

I'm okay with that idea.

Though, it still seems to me that Nightmare Moon isn't exactly the same pony as Luna, not sure if it would be considered possession, or split personality disorder, or what, but it does seem like there'd certainly be room for leniency given the nature of Nightmare Moon.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2014-01-02 16:39:03
    My favorite interpretation is the banishment wasn't even punishment -- at least, not from Celestia.  There's a whole lot of implication that the Elements are kinda doing their own thing and not even the princesses know what they're up to.  I mean, nopony really knows what's up with the box.

Celestia was getting chased by doom lazors, grabbed the biggest cannon around out of desperation, and fired.  Bang, zoom, straight to the moon and completely out of her sphere of influence to retract.  Commence a good century or so of debilitating angst.

As for what Nightmare Moon is, I'd say all of the above.  Actual harbored ill thoughts, followed by possession, followed by dramatic psychotic whispers in the ear, which drove her to a split personality that the possession could take advantage of.

And my favorite fanon on that is that the jealousy wasn't entirely unwarranted either.  Like, maybe Celestia did let their crusades go to her head a bit, and between that and just being more approachable, the public would've naturally gravitated to her.  Lingering guilt over would be the root of her extreme propriety these days -- possibly to the extent of being a bit reckless with trying to clean up her Harmony-induced messes.

Everyone's screwed up!  YAY!
    I don't know if it's still possible to reconcile with canon, but I like the interpretation that the thousand-year banishment was deliberate on Celly's part, because she was stuck between a rock and a hard place. On the one hand, she didn't want to kill her sister. On the other hand, her sister posed a clear threat to the entire kingdom—and Celly couldn't non-lethally subdue her without unacceptable collateral damage. Forced to choose between saving the kingdom and saving her sister, Celly saw banishment as the best way to save both. Trapping NMM on the moon for a thousand years gave Celly enough time to find someone else who could wield the Elements of Harmony to save her sister.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I like that interpretation, I think.