My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (Image-Heavy)

Comments

• I love how "Embarrass Rarity" is a legitimate plot hook.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Just noticed a change in this issue, Twilight is an Alicorn now.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.

MLP:FiM IDW Issue is 13. Rarity has an "umbrella drink" at the beach that's made with "super sweet pineapple juice" that is also like a "truth serum" that makes her hiccup.

They're not even trying anymore.
    Not trying to come up with plots, or not trying to hide the fact that it's alcohol?

The later.

There's pirates and stuff in this issue, the writing is fine.

Mr. Darcy said:... Fluttershy/Big Mac?

After spending much time on Derpibooru, this may very well be
    the most popular ship.

Funnily enough, the comic setup Big Mac with several mares, but none of them where Fluttershy.

I wonder if Chickun is now a bannable offense at 4chan, or something. 

It would explain the explosion in Chickun pictures on derpibooru.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2013-12-13 16:26:43
    So, someone finally addressed a rather large elephant in the room with the Daring Do episode...

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/151628/1/daring-didnt/daring-didnt

One would hope the rings have enough power to bypass Celistia's control or that the heat would maybe come from somewhere else...

Well, that's new...
  • BeeBee
    edited 2013-12-13 17:50:20
    dafuq

I dunno.  I kind of like the idea that the Rings of Whatever predate Celestia, and Ahuizotl busted his grabby ass to painstakingly assemble a totally obsolete doomsday device.

Honestly, the silliest part of that episode for me was Twilight things they're in over their heads and shouldn't interfere.

Not only does this not make sense as she herself learned that this wasn't a great idea in episode 2 how in the wide world of Equestria does this scenario count as being above the mane six when they've fought a dragon, Nightmare Moon, Discord, King Sombra, etc...
  • Maybe not above the Manes so much as not their area of expertise.  Remember, before this episode the changeling invasion was the only time they ever physically fought something.

Maybe for a prolonged period of time, but when they saw an angry manticore in episode 2, Rarity, of all ponies, instinct was to run up and kick it in the face, later all the ponies (minus Fluttershy) began to charge said manticore.

Dash also tried to beat up a dragon, though that didn't end well.

While I'll grant they usually try to solve things through talk, guile, or blasting them with magic Deus Ex Machina stones, I never got the impression that the mane 6 (except for Fluttershy, of course) had much issues with getting physically violent if the situation called for it.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2013-12-14 16:53:10
    Well yeah, they'll stand their ground if cornered.  They were ready to go Irish pub on a pack of dragon jocks until Spike was free and they could escape.

It's not that they have serious qualms against extended violence, so much as they're not the ones you should be asking with the exception of Dash or possible exception of Rarity on a really bad day (keep in mind they both appear to be trained martial artists).  While they're probably much less likely to panic in a heated situation than at the beginning of the series -- they're two-manning or soloing Everfree for relatively frivolous reasons these days -- they're also pretty aware that adventure heroes aren't necessarily action heroes and that they've stacked their party almost entirely with support classes and utility mages.
  • edited 2013-12-14 18:58:53
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Huh,I never considered that Rarity would be trained to fight, that's an interesting theory. 

Honestly, I'm not sure if there's a level here where I could accept that Twilight's reaction made a whole lot of sense besides from ponies routinely reacting to situations that don't make sense.

A villain going to to subject thousands to years and years of tortured existence is definitely in their wheelhouse even if it's a slightly different genre.

I could see Twilight suggesting they follow, but keep their distance, but it seems strange she'd advice a complete abort when there's so much on the line...

Unless, of course, she knew Celestia could just fix everything with her magic sun powers and secretly thought the whole thing was a little silly anyhow. :P 

Also, I saw episode 5.

It was probably a good episode by most metrics and had some parts I genuinely enjoyed, but mostly grated on me because of it's content. 
  • Also, I saw episode 5.

It was probably a good episode by most metrics and had some parts I genuinely enjoyed, but mostly grated on me because of it's content. 
    O? please elaborate.

I don't really like CMC, episodes or too much Rainbow Dash, and Ms. Harshwhinny really got on my nerves (though Friday liked her and it seems she's begun to develop a fan-base).

I really can't stand Silver Spoon and Diamond Tiara, but I'm sure this is by design, the song seemed kinda weak compared to others.

That being said, I do think most of my complains fall under personal preferences about the show, and I thought Rainbow Dash said some very nice things that at least left the episode on a high note. 

Memesplosion 

• The new song references horses, How does that even fit in.

I am looking forward to the next episode (superheros? How strange, and interesting).

• Huh,I never considered that Rarity would be trained to fight, that's an interesting theory.

This doesn't look like the sort of thing an untrained pony would manage.

^^ There were horses before.
    Yeah, those Saddle Arabian diplomats in "Magic Duel" seemed to be horses rather than ponies. They didn't even have cutie marks.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    MetaFour said:

Yeah, those Saddle Arabian diplomats in "Magic Duel" seemed to be horses rather than ponies. They didn't even have cutie marks.

I hope we get to see Gummy's mother and her rampage to get her son back; and the consequences of such (Pinkie Pie refuses to give up her friend).
  • There was also the horse Twilight conjured up to pull the gala carriage.  Which is all kinds of weird.
    Not so much "conjured", as "transformed a bunch of mice into". Which is even weirder.

Come to think of it, Braeburn referred to "horse-drawn carriages" in Appleloosa, when they were clearly pulled by ponies. But that one was setting up a joke; probably wouldn't have been as funny if he had said "pony-drawn carriages".
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens

"Hey you, Saddle Arabian! Get out: this is a horseless carriage!"

So the whole premise of this episode is that Ponyville is special because it's the town in Equestria where different races of ponies live together. Uh...

Yeah, I didn't really get that either.

It's not like it has a particularly even ratio or anything.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2013-12-15 03:50:45
    Like, I can see Canterlot being a skewed population because leftover unicorn nobility, or frontier towns being primarily earth ponies, and of course Cloudsdale gets a free pass on pragmatism for being a city of entirely Uberpferdchen pegasi.

But wasn't Ponyville itself a frontier orchard town?  And is so full of earth ponies that they refuse to wrap up winter with fancy unicorn magic?  Hell, most of its pegasi are from Cloudsdale.
  • edited 2013-12-15 16:37:32
    For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    We discussed that over on TVT right after the episode aired. The best interpretation, I thought, was that the CMC are children and not social scientists, so they're not exactly reliable sources about the tribal makeup of other cities. But, Harshwhinny and the other judges were touched by the CMC's ode to unity and harmony all the same.

Anyway, it's amusing how much the showrunners continue leaving open to interpretation. The episode acknowledged that Scootaloo should be able to fly by now, but deliberately didn't clarify whether she's permanently disabled or just a late bloomer. And we saw the interior of Scootaloo's house without seeing her parents—yet Scoots still hasn't reached the "Her parents must be dead; there's no other explanation" level that Applejack has.
  • edited 2013-12-15 17:05:54

I thought the mentioned that Scootaloo's wings where pretty small for her age.

Though, it sounds like it's likely they'd grow, still.
    Exactly. A future episode could make it clear that her wings will never grow to the proper size, or it could show Scoots suddenly getting a wing-growth spurt and being able to fly. Until then, it's Schrödinger's disability.

Still, better than Scoots' groundedness being the elephant in the room.

Agreed.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2013-12-16 18:26:07
    Didn't like the new episode on the whole, but it does hit a lot of very good notes like actually addressing Scootaloo's maybe-disability and Dash being a competent big sis.

I feel like the CMC carry episodes stronger when they don't act as a group.  Because friends drag you down and make you annoying.  And Harshwhinny looks like Two-Face when she talks.

^ This sums up my feelings quite well.
  • edited 2013-12-16 21:21:44

imageimage
  • edited 2013-12-16 21:32:53
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    MetaFour said:

Exactly. A future episode could make it clear that her wings will never grow to the proper size, or it could show Scoots suddenly getting a wing-growth spurt and being able to fly. Until then, it's Schrödinger's disability.

Still, better than Scoots' groundedness being the elephant in the room.

I still say that Scootaloo is Young For Her Age, which is an actual thing (When I was twelve, I had the skeleton of a seven-year-old, my bone age was not my chronological age).

I mostly say this because you never see people who are Young For Their Ages in fiction (this bothers me, especially as I have that condition); and the early closing of the growth plates would explain why Scootaloo would have small wings; but it would leave room for her to maybe grow bigger later and fly.

Do you hear that?

It's a sound you hear when everything is AWESOME!
    I just bought the first two TPBs of the comics. I also bought the one-volume edition of Maus. I hope I confused the cashier a little bit.
  • I have such mixed feelings about Maus.  On the one hand, it's an utterly brilliant and iconic account of Jews in Nazi Germany.

But on the other, every time I think of it my first mental image is when the mouse guy gets out of bed and you get this really weird and creepy shot of totally ripped mouse-pecs.

Jared has Celestia by Gashi-gashi

Jared from Subway (South Park style) hitting Celestia wit h a bat while he complains about MLP not airing in Japan.

What a time to be alive, eh?
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    but wait a sec there's totally a japanese dub

look here's the opening

The pick I posted is hella old.

I think the artist drew it during season 1, before every country ever had picked up the show.

• "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens

Well that was a laboriously-telegraphed superhero parody. Especially Spike and Fluttershy's roles. One amusing note was Rarity taking to the Green Lantern ring (Star Sapphire bracelet?).

On the whole, including escapist entertainment in their escapist entertainment (see also: Buttons, D&D in the comic) is ill-conceived fanservice. The characters already live in a magical land.

I thought it was fun in places, but I agree that it wasn't terribly well thought out.

The fact that Rarity figured out her powers so easily was amusing and I could maybe pick out a few other things I like, but it was rather underwhelming for an episode about the ponies having super powers.

All and all, season 4 so far has been pretty decent. Kinda weird that the each episode sort of dips and raises in quality, leaving an inconsistent but all and all okay addition to the series (or so I think).

Contrast with season 3 where most episodes often missed out on opportunities or, while maybe not terribly flawed, simply didn't deliver that well.

Just picked up a bunch of the cads from the collectible cardgame and Friday and I faced off with a couple of the starting sets.

It's surprisingly complex in places for a game where 10 is the recommended minimum age. Mechanics are similar to other games in places but also uniquely blended, and there's plenty of cards that let you dick your opponent. It also seems like a game played by two experienced players has the potential to go really fast, yet setup is pretty minimal. Luck can easily play a role where the right card at the right time can suddenly change the balance of whose ahead.

In short, it's got everything you'd want in a good card game. The complexity will probably make the first few games a little slower to sort out, but not so daunting that it makes one just want to throw the whole thing away.

Really looking forward to playing more and trying new characters, combinations.