Heap of Tunes of the Heapers' Hangout Forum

1171819202123»

Comments

• Some stuff from the John Zorn/Thurston Moore album "a" that I previously mentioned is up on youtube. Definitely worth checking out.

• this has been running through my head a lot this week and this music vid is p cool
  • also an incredibly #RARE tune courtesy of northernlion

• kill living beings
    P.E.T.R.O.L.

• there are things i dont like about this - the lyrics are seriously eh and i feel it's just a little too disjointed for its own good at times - but theres something about the CIM brand of pop-prog that just has a kind of... exuberance to it that i find irresistible. i'll be listening to the new album when it comes out, i know that.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    The "new" Johnny Cash album has a bonus track remixed by Elvis Costello.

It's not on youtube otherwise I'd link it.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

sunn wolf said:

one of those songs where within about 10 seconds of clicking the youtube i had closed the tab so i could put the whole album on

it sounds like loscil did a collab with olan mill, so naturally it is so up my street it might as well be my house
    Okay, definitely gonna check these guys out. This is awesome.
    I think that Sunny is the only person who I have ever seen compare something to Loscil.

Which, incidentally, is a huge selling point, as Loscil's brand of ambient is the snazz.
  • loscil is perf

for the uninitiated:

It's tranquil, spooky, oddly pretty music; I have always aspired to be those things.
    ...and I did not know that the guy behind Loscil was the drummer from Destroyer. Or that he and Bejar and Tim Hecker did an EP together.

I might just have to try to listen to Destroyer again solely for these reasons.
  • i never listened to destroyer, but theres a weird tradition of drummers in ambient music

did you know, for instance, that Lull used to play drums for Machine Head? now you do
    I did, actually!
  • gold star 4 u

there's another fairly famous drummer/ambientperson and i cant for the life of me remember who it is
  • you know

i have never listened to machine head
  • edited 2014-05-01 21:44:30
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    If one counts some of Scorn's work as ambient, the drummer connection continues...

^ Me neither, actually.
    Actually, the noisier end of industrial and the dronier, chillier side of ambient have a weirdly close relationship: Final, Mirror, Coil circa Time Machines, early Throbbing Gristle and Cabaret Voltaire...
    I really wish that I could make music like early COH and other glitch/noise-ambient/isolationist/lowercase-ish people of the Raster-Noton school. It's just so beautiful and strange and sonically perfect. I want to know how to make music like that and bring it into my own style and make something new and wonderful like that.
  • if you want to know how to make raster noton noises it's mostly white noise and sine waves with weird, unnatural sounding envelope shenanigans and filtering, with minimal additional processing

i could teach you, though i'm not good at sequencing the noises themselves in the sort of way that they work in if that makes any sense
    You could tell me so that I could try my hand at it when I get Logic Pro set up I can actually do those things. Heck, you could teach me by showing me right there!

:3
    Crucial Blast is a cool label.

• probably nobody cares about tmv offcuts but me but i find it bizarre that this didnt make noctourniquet, given that it is better than every other song on that album, just about

actually maybe if they had put it in omar would have drowned it in 500 synths and it would have lost some of its magic
  • that is pretty cool
  • CRU by Gnarwolves
    i am listening to this catchy pop-punk album solely because of the cover. it is fun and I like the vocalist a lot.
  • speaking of fun vocalists did i ever post that King Krule song here

• my knowledge of modern composers is still rather woeful, but at least for today I managed to discover the coolness of Conlon Nancarrow and Brian Ferneyhough

• man everyone's been digging Nancarrow lately

like about two weeks back my dad sent me that exact video
    Because Nancarrow and Ferneyhough are the swag, yo.

Complex polyrhythms for the win.
  • CRU by Gnarwolves
    i am listening to this catchy pop-punk album solely because of the cover. it is fun and I like the vocalist a lot.

they seem to be doing real well here in britain + im glad because they are good fun. lot of my friends are into them
  • edited 2014-05-21 15:34:02

I need to find more good fun music, it seems like los of the stuff i've been listening to lately is kinda grim and violent or portentous
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS

O___________O
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    That's also really good.