Heap of Tunes of the Heapers' Hangout Forum

Comments

• For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Oh my freaking goodness. Bo Diddley's guitar sound is the greatest thing ever.
  • Bobo Boshimbo by not half
    A tribute track for a beloved former room mate and friend. Bobo was the
    much loved cat of Aaron Funk (Venetian Snares). He was 15 when he passed
    on earlier this year and proud of the award I gave him for World's
    Smallest Badger.
    8<
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    awwww
  • effort post time because im procrastinating this essay by douglas coupland: zelienople

zelienople is a chicago-based band who are described on last.fm as 'drone-based jazz', or, if you listen to tags, 'ambient', 'drone', and 'experimental', whatever the fuck those things are supposed to mean.

i think zelienople are a remarkable band because their back catalogue consists of eleven full length albums and one ep and all of it is damn close to flawless. these guys have been doing what they do for more than a decade now and i can't think of a single band who have been as consistently brilliant

you can start anywhere with them tho i would recommend 'sleeper coach', or 'stone academy'. you'll find a mix of broke-down barely-there folk, gorgeous dronescapes, haunting vocals and people hitting wires taken off suspension bridges on all of their albums, and each one still manages to retain a coherent sense of itself in opposition to the others

what i love the most is the sense of beautiful abandonment i get from all of their music. i find it impossible not to imagine somewhere derelict, llost, forgotten, uncared for, yet still beautiful when i listen to zelienople. cracked windows, empty chairs, weeds growing up between gaps in the concrete. i've never been to pripyat. i've never been to detroit.

• My dreams exceed my real life
    sunn wolf said:

effort post time because im procrastinating this essay by douglas coupland: zelienople

zelienople is a chicago-based band who are described on last.fm as 'drone-based jazz', or, if you listen to tags, 'ambient', 'drone', and 'experimental', whatever the fuck those things are supposed to mean.

i think zelienople are a remarkable band because their back catalogue consists of eleven full length albums and one ep and all of it is damn close to flawless. these guys have been doing what they do for more than a decade now and i can't think of a single band who have been as consistently brilliant

you can start anywhere with them tho i would recommend 'sleeper coach', or 'stone academy'. you'll find a mix of broke-down barely-there folk, gorgeous dronescapes, haunting vocals and people hitting wires taken off suspension bridges on all of their albums, and each one still manages to retain a coherent sense of itself in opposition to the others

what i love the most is the sense of beautiful abandonment i get from all of their music. i find it impossible not to imagine somewhere derelict, llost, forgotten, uncared for, yet still beautiful when i listen to zelienople. cracked windows, empty chairs, weeds growing up between gaps in the concrete. i've never been to pripyat. i've never been to detroit.

But why
  • The destination was Boston but they only got as far as Zelienople, Pennsylvania. Brian and Matt didn’t make it to the coast during that ill-fated trip in the Summer of ‘95 but a band was conceived during the journey.
    that rather cryptic little story is the beginning of the band's biography. i dont know why they were trying to get to boston or why they failed but there you have it
  • edited 2013-12-10 19:53:00

i guess Gesaffelstein has started making it big w/ the pitchfork crowd

which is weird because industrial-tinged french tech house isn't what i'd associate w/ that type of listener

and upon googling it would seem that Kanye tapped him for production on Yeezus, which would explain that sudden surge in popularity and also why Yeezus seemed so familiar-sounding.
    Hey, Mo, I finally got all those mariachi songs I was talking about on my dropbox. Here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sme7v8nwv28ywr5/Mari.zip

Sorry that took so long.
  • Re-posting this away from my half-baked joke cause seriously, the album this is in just crushes me to putty in the bestest way

• MetaFour said:

Hey, Mo, I finally got all those mariachi songs I was talking about on my dropbox. Here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sme7v8nwv28ywr5/Mari.zip

Sorry that took so long.

it's cool!

also, new Burial EP is up for streaming on Pitch4k if anyone's interested
    By the way, I got into Chalino Sanchez as a direct result of the Dingees name-dropping him in "Who Stole the Soul in Rock-n-Roll?"
  • edited 2013-12-13 04:32:11
    For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Chemical Chords is surprising. It's still unmistakably Stereolab, with all the "space age bachelor pad music" trappings one would expect, but it sounds different in some way that I really can't put my finger on. (And no, it's not the absence of Mary Hansen.) Regardless of what the difference is, it's nice to confirm that they weren't just treading water since Dots and Loops.

Now I need to listen to their other post-Mary Hansen albums, to hear how they got to this point.
    Huh, the Jungle Revolution song files came pre-tagged as "Rap & Hip-hop".
    Hey all. I made a silly mixtape for my birthday. Only my birthday was last week and I didn't get it all finished until tonight. Oh man, so wacky. You can stream it on 8tracks here, or just download it from my dropbox here.
  • TreTre
    edited 2013-12-18 18:28:23
    i can't understand a word of this song but I don't care because it's fun

well, rather

i can't understand most of the words

except GLORIA, G L O R I A, GUH-LORIA
  • So

It looks like Gaza Minus the Rapist is going places

nice places
  • kill living beings
    burial's new ep is col i don't know why it has all the talking though

right now i am listening to ilkae, i think i will buy a bandcamp for once. it has some kind of chiptune whatever i don't know. i can't play guitar
  • im pretty sure i have Bovine Rearrangement lying around on my hard drive somewhere
    Pangur Bán, Mojave, have you listened to Jungle Revolution by Congo Natty? I freaking love it, and it seems like it would be relevant to your interests as well.

• i will keep posting this until erryone listens to it

'cause it good
  • The Bad Plus has returned to Sony and signed a multi-album deal with Sony Music Masterworks. In April 2014, the label will release the band's interpretation of Igor Stravinsky's masterpiece The Rite of Spring. Their second album will come out on Sony Music Masterworks' jazz imprint Okeh Records later in the year.
  • my drum teacher who i had for like 8-9 years introduced me to the bad plus when i was like 15 and i was just like 'jesus' when i heard this

• i went to the record store picked up Huge Chrome Cylinder Box Unfolding and Thorns
  • Ballads
    Derek Bailey 
    - April 23, 2002

yes a most apt categorization
  • so anyways i got 10 bucks in google play credit so i picked up Sonny Sharrock's Ask The Ages

so now at long last i legally own the best album of all time

it's 6 bucks 10 cents including tax so like pick it up
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    why is it the best album of all time
  • edited 2013-12-21 00:17:18

because it is perfect

at least as far as i'm concerned

the guitar playing is beautiful, lyrical, varied and original, the songs are highly memorable and musically interesting, the soloing is off the wall, everyone involved is amazing (*Pharoah Sanders on sax, Elvin Jones on drums, and the less well known but still hella rad Charnett Moffett on bass, production by Bill Laswell*)

plus it just rubs me the right way. y'know?
    fair enough
    Update in my ongoing quest to listen to ALL the Duke Ellington: The Queen's Suite is ace. In particular, "Single Petal of a Rose" may be in the same damn-near-perfect ranking as "Mount Harissa".

I'd link to the song on youtube, but all the uploads seem to be rips from vinyl with a lot of surface noise. This live version is pretty good, though I still prefer the studio version.

• also

MetaFour said:

Single Petal of a Rose

That's nice, but I think I would have liked it better without the vocal.
  • that's the general consensus on that track

Metalheadz has had a good year, there was new stuff from Jubei and Om Unit and Goldie is doing stuff again, plus there was that Unofficial Jah remix from Dom and Roland.
  • chill as hell 70s soviet bloc-rock with some serious vocal harmonies, and a completely shredding fuzzed-up guitar solo

Late night session underway: http://plug.dj/hitler-the-aids-live/
  • Tre said:

i can't understand a word of this song but I don't care because it's fun

well, rather

i can't understand most of the words

except GLORIA, G L O R I A, GUH-LORIA
    I love this song of theirs for the ridiculously weepy chorus:

• here's some nice and enjoyable kayo dot-esque avant-garde weirdprog. and i promise i'm not only saying kayo dot-esque because toby driver posted this album on fb, it definitely has that same sort of atonal/otherworldly vibe with some similar kickass vocal harmonies

• "Blending Renaissance polyphony, symphonic lieder, jazz, classic and progressive rock, and even ‘60s Motown vocal music"

if you werent already convinced by my frankly inadequate description.
  • edited 2013-12-26 02:12:01

welllllllp
  • So I had no idea that Jackson & His Computer Band Computerband had a new record out

but it's awesome

only took him 8 frakkin' years
  • edited 2013-12-28 03:18:53

Way Of The Warrior 2 might actually be the most upsetting album of all time

FRICTION NO PLEASE STAHP WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO YOUR LABEL NOOOOOOO ;_;
    The Modern Jazz Quartet is the classiest anything, ever.

In the annals of "Why the hell would this band reunite and record new material? Your prior ending was pretty much a perfect farewell," Five Iron Frenzy ranked pretty highly. Well, the new album turns out to be a worthy addition to their legacy. It didn't immediately blow me away, but I think that's just because I'm a different person than I was a decade and a half ago, when I heard "My Evil Plan to Save the World". Still, the new tunes like "Against a Sea of Troubles", "So Far", and "Into Your Veins" are songs whose greatness isn't immediately apparent on the first listen. I'm very interested to see where this new chapter of the FIF story is going.

• Naney get on this yo it is... underground club music sounding stuff? and im liking this a lot and i am really struggling for a genre so help me out here
  • thaaaat's techno

if you want to find other stuff that sounds like that, it kinda has some ostgut ton or maybe lighter perc trax kinda vibes going on so dig around in those labels, you might find something that piques your interests
    so somebody I met today said that he had discovered the ultimate melody of all time by converting pi to base 12 and playing it as notes in a 12-tone scale.

and this is his video. I guess it does sound pretty nice
  • TreTre
    edited 2014-01-06 12:46:31
    I know I mentioned it already but holy hell I love this track so much. It's like, the best of classic 80's style electro crossed ver with some Zedd-style modern stuff, with some kickass vox from Madame Buttons as well. I can't stop listening to it.