Heap of Tunes of the Heapers' Hangout Forum

Comments

• TreTre
    edited 2014-01-06 21:18:17
    (Link: Seven Lions and Ciscandra Nosthalgia -- Serpent of Old)

well this was an unexpected turn of events

Seven Lions has apparently gone metalstep, at least for this song. It's not bad, but I'm a little scared of it. I'm sure that was the intent though, so good on him and Ciscandra for that!

(also, warning: cover art on that video contains nudity)
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    link don't work
  • Fixed!

I'm gonna have to get used to doing that instead of just embedding, I guess, sorry about that ^_^'
  • edited 2014-01-10 10:18:42

2014 AOTY calling it now
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Great title, cool art. Judging the book by its cover, it looks solid.
  • edited 2014-01-11 17:56:56

you ambient 90s techno Orb whatever fan people should check this out:

<a href="http://elastic-dreams.bandcamp.com/album/dream-ritual">Dream Ritual by A Sagittariun</a>

i know i've posted stuff by this dude before but yeah
  • edited 2014-01-11 22:10:28

I think I like this better than that damn fox song.
  • im also supporting his love for noveller, jacob kirkegaard, mario diaz de leon, barn owl, chrome hoof + raime
  • I had no idea that there was a new chrome hoof album until i read that list

i'm gonna have to pick that up sometime
  • i had no idea either until BATS, charming fellows that they are, posted about it loads on fb
  • its a cool album, imo, but i wouldnt expect anything less from a band with the stage presence somewhere between galactic-disco Arcade Fire and Sunn O))) gone totally fabulous
  • also there is something very... mentally incongruous about knowing that jg thirlwell listens to major lazer
  • idk i can imagine that

who wouldnt listen to major lazer, i ask you, who would do that
  • edited 2014-01-12 15:43:25

http://www.allmusic.com/album/night-sessions-mw0002549059

this album is really good, i highly recommend chasing down a copy. (*most of the really standout songs from it aren't on youtube unfortunately*)
  • apparently Abigail Williams and Carnifex have decided to get back together at pretty much the exact same time, with Abby bringing in the bassist from Wolves In The Throne Room

this amuses me greatly

• edited 2014-01-16 23:53:55

also the new carnifex tune is A+, featuring some really fun leads, seismic breakdowns, cool cover art and some truly shining examples of just how awesomely terrible deathcore lyrics can be

THIS IS A WORLD WHERE I AM LOVED

ONLY

BY

DEEEAATHHHHHH
  • edited 2014-01-18 23:40:01
    For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    So, I have finally found a video of Swans performing on their 1995 tour that contains a version of "Animus". The sound could be better, but still, this is awesome.
  • edited 2014-01-23 14:03:55
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Peaking Lights have some great synthesiser timbres, their production is fine, and their melodies are interesting, but their song architecture really does leave something to be desired.

• Moderne formed in Tours, France in 1979. The band consisted of: Gérard Lévy, Thierry Teyssou, Bernard Guimond, Dominique Marchetti and their videographer Patrick Millerioux. After releasing two albums and two corresponding 7” singles between 1980 and 1981, nothing was heard from Moderne and aside from the release of “Switch on Bach” (on the compilation So Young But So Cold in 2004), very little has been heard from this band. Moderne remains notoriously hidden in the past, and their albums and singles have become collectors’ items. The albums were recorded in their Tours studio and mixed by Joschko Rudas and Henning Schmitz at Studio Rudas Düsseldorf, the same studio Kraftwerk used for Man Machine (1978). The production is exceptional. This is French new wave at its best.

• new Shackleton, comes out tomorrow, get hyped
    According to the dreaded Pitchfork, Swans' next album, To Be Kind, will not only be yet another triple-LP affair, but will feature the musical talents of St. Vincent, Cold Specks, Little Annie Anxiety and Bill Rieflin, among others. Ms. Clark, in particular, shall be contributing multi-layered vocal parts to various tracks.

I am so hyped that I cannot express it in words.
  • edited 2014-01-30 23:26:18
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    There's a new Cloud Nothings album coming out on April 1st. Here's a song from it: 

Baldi seem to be returning to a more lo-fi aesthetic, but retaining the full band of Attack on Memory. I'm pretty pumped for it.
  • edited 2014-01-31 11:34:02

Hi this is will, I just want to say thank you to anyone out there who liked my burial tunes & supported me over the years. its really appreciated. Massive thank you anyone who got my records & all producers, DJs, radio stations, labels, shops, writers & journalists.. anyone who played my tunes, gave them a listen, or helped me out with it, made me want to keep going with it. Also shout out anyone who sent me tunes, messages, anyone I met along the way & a big shout out to anyone who supports or does independent & underground music.
    I want to do some new tunes this year to send to my boss Steve and the label because they've been going 10 years now and have stuck by me. Hopefully by the end of most years I have done some tunes that are decent enough to release. but Dark Souls 2 is on the horizon soon so I'm not sure if I will have many new tunes for a while because I need to play that game a lot. But I'm going to try to get some new tunes together before it comes out.
    Also I want to go and find some old tunes I did that still sound alright and never came out.. It would be nice to finally put some of them out on vinyl one day.
    Also I want to tell my Mum my Dad my brothers and my sister that I love them to bits. Big shout out to the UK & everywhere else. Cheers & respect to everyone and anyone...be safe & take care

Will
  • Dark Souls 2 is on the horizon soon so I'm not sure if I will have many new tunes for a while because I need to play that game a lot.
    - Literally Burial
  • edited 2014-02-01 00:13:38

Over 50 minutes of new material just went off to mastering.

• For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Franz Ferdinand's "Tell Her Tonight" sounds shockingly like a cover of a rare Wire track from the Chairs Missing or 154 era.
    I shall listen to it, then!

*listens*

Hmm. Kind of. It bounces between sounding a lot like Gang of Four's "Not Great Men" and something like "In the Nursery", which is at once unsurprising and peculiar. Specifically, that rising progression in the chorus is extremely Wire-ish, but the verses are very much in the Leeds punk-funk tradition.

Still a pretty fun little song.
    somebody got me back into thrash metal mode a few days ago

somebody's gonna have to answer for this
  • edited 2014-02-02 02:00:14

hey guess who uploaded a bunch of their back catalogue to bandcamp without me noticing last month<a href="http://current931.bandcamp.com/album/black-ships-ate-the-sky">Black Ships Ate the Sky by Current 93</a>
    ^ This reminds me: I should re-listen to basically every Current 93 album, because.

• For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Not completely without precedent. Glen "Galaxalag" Galloway was a member of Trumans Waters before he started Soul-Junk. Both Sufjan and Galaxalag are pals with Daniel "Danielson Famile" Smith and put out albums on his record label, Sounds Familyre (which is a sister label to Asthmatic Kitty, to boot).
  • edited 2014-02-03 20:21:59
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I actually knew that Soul-Junk and Danielson were connected; and even if I hadn't, I don't think that I would be too surprised. I simply found it interesting that Trumans Water themselves were signed to Asthmatic Kitty. It makes sense if you know enough about their respective backgrounds, but on the face of it the combination is peculiar.
  • i have three new CDs

Xiu Xiu - The Air Force

a Deutsche Grammophon CD of Messiaen pieces performed by the cleveland orchestra and conducted by Boulez

As Cities Burn - Come Now Sleep
  • http://www.residentadvisor.net/news.aspx?id=22537

Current Value and Dean Rodell will team up again as Machine Code for a new album, Velocity, due out on March 3rd. 

The Berlin duo have made their name on hard-hitting drum & bass, taking Current Value's already heavy sound and adding extra muscle, usually releasing on Rodell's Subsistenz imprint. The new one sees them stretching out a bit, touching on halftime beats, more minimal-styled material including "dark ambient treatments" and some live instrumentation as well. A press release describes it as "the type of music that Metalheadz would have put out if technological advances at the beginning of the '90s were the same as they are today," and the two apparently took particular inspiration from that pivotal label's early, more experimental releases. 

• gatekeeper (the non-dubstep gatekeeper) has the genre of '90s Mad Max film soundtrack music' absolutely down
    Mad Max is an '80s movie

this is pretty cool, though
  • heeeeeyyyy it's EBM
  • Mad Max is an '80s movie

this is pretty cool, though

i was using Mad Max as an adjective there but i can understand your confusion because actually that is a noun and i am silly

heeeeeyyyy it's EBM

i had not thought of it in that way but in a way i think i agree with you. that track has rather an EBM sensibility in particular. if youre going to define it as EBM then it is absolutely the best EBM i have heard from the last, like, 15-20 years
  • yeah. the kind of synths they're using and how they're using them, and the aesthetic in general, you could call it EBM, but seriously show me a modern EBM act that is using anything like as interesting a sound palette you get in this, anything close to the kind of structuring. it's head and shoulders over... like... fucking combichrist or whatever

also the related videos on gatekeeper tracks are weird as hell. in that one you've got Salem, Tool, Radiohead, Sodom, Tyler the Creator and greek ;politics rubbing shoulders. what on earth
    As obnoxiously trendy as they might be, I find it hard for me to dislike CVLTS. I just really like that surreal, vaguely creepy but somewhat soothing, '80s cassette culture though the looking-glass aesthetic. It's the same thing that appeals to me about Oneohtrix Point Never.

• something very cool for all you music theory nerds
  • edited 2014-02-07 19:06:42

<a href="http://pyrrhonband.bandcamp.com/album/the-mother-of-virtues">The Mother of Virtues by Pyrrhon</a>
    coming out april 1st.

It's not personal.
  • <a href="http://rawmccartney.bandcamp.com/album/its-raw">IT&#39;S RAW by Raw McCartney</a>
    psychedelic noise rock literally recorded w/ a cell phone.

audiophiles beware