• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I'm still in the thrash pit

this song is dedicated to Anonus

• i told you.

A.

O.

T.

Y.

• I know I'm probably the only one here who will care for them but still: The 1975 have a pretty nice 80's feel and their singer is so wonderfully British it's not even funny. The combination makes for some killer power pop.

• as i mentioned elsewhere somewhere there's gonna be new Mayhem this year
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Is it normal to like the songs on De La Soul's first three albums but really dislike the skits?
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I think it's a reasonable position to take.

Some xenharmonic music.

I love harmonic sevenths.
  • That is really pretty
    Keith Jarrett! Cool!
  • Out of all the regulars on ECM's roster he's the one I'm the most indifferent to. Plus he's kind of a douche.
  • edited 2014-02-22 23:16:49
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    He's dead, isn't he? And has been for a while... Huh, he's still around! I was not aware.

I have heard that he is/was a bit of a jerk, although his playing is frequently lovely.
    So I've escaped from thrash mode and now I'm in "vintage psychedelia" mode again

not that you care but whatever
  • He's like 68 years old, you speak as though he is Methuselah. He generally strikes me as a bit tepid.
  • edited 2014-02-22 23:22:13
    He played with Miles Davis around 1970 and I was sure that he died young. My confusion.

^^ Great track.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I've been listening to Rossz Csillag Alatt Született tonight. Most of you probably don't need to be reminded of this, but it's a pretty cool album.
    I think Naney dislikes it because of the sample problem. I like it, though.
  • even disregarding that i think a lot of his stuff is just plain better

like the funky, jazz flecked and utterly evil techstep and gabber of Doll Doll Doll and Find Candace (*bonus points for Trevor Brown cover art*)

or the utter, complete alienness of Songs About My Cats (*which is one of the few albums i can think of that does not sound like anything else. anything*)

and there is the unabashed silliness of Higgins Ultra Low Track Glue Funk Hits

I guess Rossz does have quite a few moments of melancholy grandeur, but it doesn't even stray too far from that mood and it never really slams on the breaks and smashes your head into the dashboard musically speaking.

Plus if you want melancholy grandeur in your breakcore you're better off w/ Enduser
    Early VSnares is terrifying and delightful.
  • edited 2014-02-23 00:46:44

his most recent stuff is p good too

...this is 2 years old

damn i feel old now
  • i think Szamar Madar is p good, but only because Elgar could write a sick riff, also whichever one is the pigeon monologue one, that's good. rossz is a good introduction to vsnares i think, a nice place to start, it doesnt smash your head into the dashboard but it can be too much to ask for something to do that straightaway. sometimes you need an album which doesnt throw the kitchen sink at you. but yeah you will be rewarded if you dig around more in his work. everything naney mentioned is good. detrimentalist is great fun too
  • edited 2014-02-23 20:05:16
    For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Apparently Snowmine just released a new album, but I can't access it because crappy internet. But I'm relistening to Laminate Pet Animal and it holds up quite well.

And Cross Mountain by The Smallest Bones (another alias of Entertainment For The Braindead) is even better than I remembered it.
  • edited 2014-02-24 06:39:31
    the new snowmine came out about a month ago man. its got some very good moments, rome, silver sieve, columbus, dollar divided, whatever that instrumental one is called, theyre all very solid tracks. id put it probably on about the same level as laminate pet animal, though im not entirely sure. needs more time to sink in. might be not quite as consistently good as their first album was

also, for content, SYNTHS:

New St Vincent today! 0w0
  • i saw when i went to the record store
  • edited 2014-02-27 14:45:50

new archspire

weird mix, drumming sweet as always
  • edited 2014-02-28 04:54:59
  • also 'dubbhism' is a great name for a label

• On the very fringes of the Makedonska Streljba movement there were several very interesting developments most of whom remained unfamiliar even in the Macedonian public, let alone in Yugoslavia or world. Certainly the most important of these is Aporea or Apokrifna Realnost [or Apocryphal Reality, Macedonian Cyrillic: Апореа/Апокрифна Реалност] from Skopje, a multimedia project whose musical output could easily fit the best tradition of any ritual industrial bands that rose in mid and late 80es era on labels like Nekrophile Rekords, ADN, Touch, etc. What was an important influence for all of the bands from Makedonska Streljba, for Aporea it was a starting ground: the active exploration of the complex relationships with their own cultural and spiritual heritage through a specific postmodern, westernized frame of work - art exhibitions, music distributing, subcultural activity, as means of reconciling their people with the new reality they were heading to, but in the same time - finding an adequate modus viviendi for an individual's own spiritual continuance within the sociological context of postmodern Europe. In Aporea's mythology, the context in which that transition would be made possible is referred to as "New Europe" and it is best described in words of Goran Lišnjić's 1989 article "Lanterna Magica" about Aporea: "Spiritual nation becomes and remains in the spiritual homeland without borders".

Macedonia is a very intriguing place. I should learn more about it.
    Sounds most intriguing!
  • Over the years FOSSILS have established themselves as a reputable and effective live act and have over the last two years played with Danish names like Iceage, De Høje Hæle, Thulebasen, Moonless and Cola Freaks, and with international names such as the aforementioned Health (U.S.), Millions (U.S.), Liturgy (U.S.), Deathcrush (NO) and Zu (Ita)
  • edited 2014-03-01 22:11:37

so the other day i bought AJJ's Candy Cigarettes, Capguns, Issue Problems! and Such

not a happy album lemme tell ya
    Not at all.

AJJ and Xiu Xiu are probably the unhappiest bands that I know, setting aside genres that are explicitly meant to be unsettling or extremely depressive. When Swans and Current 93 start to out-cheer you, your music is probably not the sunniest.
  • well yeah they ain't usually a bucket of roses and kittens

but it made Knife Man look like Ocean Eyes or somethin
    They have gotten less unrelentingly bleak lately. Actually, up until their last album, the same went for Xiu Xiu: As bleak as Always is, it is infinitely more positive than Fabulous Muscles or A Promise. Those I find deeply disturbing to listen to; it's the sound of someone trying too hard and *succeeding.*
    this band is named after a Russ Meyer movie, and they named their debut EP after a fuzz pedal.

there's no way I can't like them
    Relistening to Module's soundtrack for Shatter for the umpteenth time. Pretty much exactly what I want from a techno(ish) album.
    My favorite thing about Stop Making Sense, aside from the music, is how everyone on stage looks like they're having the time of their lives.
  • TreTre
    edited 2014-03-03 21:09:17

god bless Porter Robinson

【=◈︿◈=】

St. Vincent's "Huey Newton" may be one of the best songs of her career.

It's an electronic ballad that turns into a stoner metal track with gospel vocals about Clark communing with the late Black Panther leader during an Ambien blackout. It is just as bizarre and trippy and yet way more accessible than it sounds.

Like, holy fucking shit this is great.
    Crossposting because HELL YES.
    ...and she played at the Union Transfer on the 28th and I missed it, and it will probably be another year at least until she comes back.

*sigh*
    *patpat*
  • i guess this is the thread for this

it is a record player that plays tree rings. i want one
    That is strangely brilliant.
  • So here's an aural mystery for heapers who are into the sort of thing. On WFMU's Beware of the Blog I found a posted recording of an audio letter, a bunch of (very old now, but current at the time) pop songs in different languages interspersed with a woman (?) talking in what is possibly the strangest speaking voice I have ever heard, in a language that neither myself nor the blogger recognize.

Here it is, for your perusal. And here is the post itself, containing three other letters from the same person.