General Video Game Thread

Comments

• Yeah, you get rid of a corrupt corporate executive's worst enemy, thus consolidating his power over the Reach. Really good.

And I hesitate to use "good" and "evil" to describe this scenario.
  • Acererak said:

Yeah, you get rid of a corrupt corporate executive's worst enemy, thus consolidating his power over the Reach. Really good.

1. You're still stopping an incredibly dangerous person who wants a genocide of the Nords.
    2. The Silver-Bloods were using the Forsworn. Killing Madanoch was both a bad and a good thing for the Silver-Bloods.
  • As if dragons and zombies weren't enough, now you face...

...a zombie dragon!
    This line feels very out of place in a game like Crimson Shroud but it's too hilarious for me to care.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    It looks really dumb but really fun.
  • Acererak said:

Yeah, you get rid of a corrupt corporate executive's worst enemy, thus consolidating his power over the Reach. Really good.

1. You're still stopping an incredibly dangerous person who wants a genocide of the Nords.

Incorrect. The Forsworn don't want to kill all the Nords. Some of the most prominent Forsworn are Nords. They just want control over the Reach. It's their ancestral homeland, after all.
  • They want control of the Reach and seek to do so through ethnic cleansing, and have no qualms with killing all the Nords.
  • Acererak said:

i read this "a genocide of the nerds"
  • Acererak said:

i read this "a genocide of the nerds"

Little known prequel to Revenge of the Nerds.
  • Oh, also, I'm pretty certain after a quick look at the UESP that almost every Forsworn is a Breton and that none of them are Nords.
  • Kexruct said:

Oh, also, I'm pretty certain after a quick look at the UESP that almost every Forsworn is a Breton and that none of them are Nords.

Aren't a couple of miners Nords? Also, Madanach's bodyguard is an Orc. 

The Forsworn are extremely violent for various reasons, not all of which are related to racial hatred. For one, their leader is imprisoned, so they're naturally in a very tight spot. For another, the Reach has always been a rather xenophobic place. The Forsworn share the Stormcloaks' "X for the Xes" mentality, and they are willing to go to extreme lengths to preserve that. Just like the Stormcloaks are, what with the murder of King Torygg.

As for the murders...well, they were being bullied into doing it by Thonar.
  • Pretty much the entirety of Nirn is a rather xenophobic place.
  • The sadness will last forever.
    Thinking getting a Wii U because of Wind Waker. I never played that game.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.

Thinking getting a Wii U because of Wind Waker. I never played that game.

A lot of fans don't like it a lot and it is pretty easy but I love it and think it is cute.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    A lot of fans don't like it a lot and it is pretty easy
    Now tell us, which Zelda game does this describe? :P
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Wand of Gamelon? :D
  • Dark Souls is on sale today.

Not my kind of thing, personally, but in case anyone's interested.
    I really wish I had $8 right now :/

Dark Souls has been on my "you should really get this" list for a long time.
    oooh maybe I should get it :o
  • You would probably like it if only because it's really hard.

There's always-on PvP though, I dunno how you feel about that.
    You can't be invaded if you're Hollowed. You spend most of the game Hollowed.
  • I have heard that being Hollowed for most of the game makes it harder than it already is.

Though, one supposes that is the point.
    Only by virtue of not letting you summon.
    wheeeeeee I bought it~
  • A lot of fans don't like it a lot and it is pretty easy
    None of them were particularly easy except for Wind Waker, really. The combat's always been somewhat on the easier side but I'd be hard pressed to call any of them easy.
  • Acererak said:

Kexruct said:

Oh, also, I'm pretty certain after a quick look at the UESP that almost every Forsworn is a Breton and that none of them are Nords.

The Forsworn are extremely violent for various reasons, not all of which are related to racial hatred. For one, their leader is imprisoned, so they're naturally in a very tight spot. For another, the Reach has always been a rather xenophobic place. The Forsworn share the Stormcloaks' "X for the Xes" mentality, and they are willing to go to extreme lengths to preserve that. Just like the Stormcloaks are, what with the murder of King Torygg.

I'm not saying they don't have reasons, just that all the admittedly very, very bad things that happened to them don't justify their genocidal tendencies. And I don't agree with the Stormcloaks either.
  • Sword of the Stars: The Pit is kicking my ass pretty hardcore.

I can't really do much when no food drops.
    Kexruct said:

None of them were particularly easy except for Wind Waker, really. The combat's always been somewhat on the easier side but I'd be hard pressed to call any of them easy.
    Zelda 1 is a little challenging and Zelda 2 a lot more, but all the rest are really easy because you get like a zillion hits and you basically get 5 health meters too, and then 10 when you get the defense upgrade. Also your shield blocks most things and there is not a lot of strategy to combat? But anyway going through the dungeons is lots of fun which is why I like it.
    In Wind Waker you have to *try* to die, it is so easy. :p
  • Miko said:

Kexruct said:

Zelda 1 is a little challenging and Zelda 2 a lot more, but all the rest are really easy because you get like a zillion hits and you basically get 5 health meters too, and then 10 when you get the defense upgrade. Also your shield blocks most things and there is not a lot of strategy to combat? But anyway going through the dungeons is lots of fun which is why I like it.
    In concept, yes. In practice not as much. Zelda games tend to get more difficult when they're starving you of health, which a most of them do. (In fact, WW was so easy because few of the enemies did much damage and there were tons of opportunities to heal, and the remake changed that with a new difficulty mode) Note that I almost never buy healing items, but even then, they aren't as astoundingly easy as you're making them out to be. There are much easier games. 

I know you're a challengist but this is coming off more as elitism than anything else.
  • i am not sure if like visual novel stuff should go in this thread but i just downloaded dmmd
  • BeeBee
    edited 2013-09-24 19:34:30
    I'm sorry, but none of the Zelda games have been difficult since Awakening / Link to the Past.  Pretty much since they gave you a swing arc that let you attack with complete impunity from diagonals and cranked up the drop rate on hearts and stuff.

Comfortable difficulty, sure.  But not difficult.
  • i'm complete and utter shit at video games and i have never had any sort of difficulty w/ any zelda game
  • I'm not saying that they're hard, just that they're not amazingly easy.

Also people have a weird tendency to leave out the puzzles when talking about the series's difficulty, which doesn't seem entirely fair to me.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2013-09-25 05:18:08
    Eh.  Oracle of Ages was pretty much the only time I was particularly stonewalled on the puzzles, and even then it was like...once.  I don't even remember where.  IIRC it wasn't even in one of the dungeons, but one of the parts where you have to schlep around time looking for one.  I want to say it was the bit leading up to the volcano dungeon where you dick around in the top-left corner of the map, but hell if I remember.

I guess Great Bay Temple took a bit longer than it should've, but not that much.  I never really got why people had so much trouble with Water Temple -- it was basically built like a search tree.
  • Kexruct said:

Acererak said:

Kexruct said:

Kexruct said:

Acererak said:

Kexruct said:

Acererak said:

Kexruct said:

Acererak said:

Kexruct said:

Acererak said:

Kexruct said:

Acererak said:

Kexruct said:

I'm not saying they don't have reasons, just that all the admittedly very, very bad things that happened to them don't justify their genocidal tendencies. And I don't agree with the Stormcloaks either.

But what I'm saying is that they aren't genocidal. Violent? Sure. Xenophobic? Yep (but who isn't?), but racist? They're a "Reach for the Reachmen" crowd, not a "Reach for the Bretons" one, and I think the distinction is important.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    I am playing the Guild Wars 2

It is quite fun to run around and be a little thiefy thief
    Bee said:

Eh.  Oracle of Ages was pretty much the only time I was particularly stonewalled on the puzzles, and even then it was like...once.  I don't even remember where.  IIRC it wasn't even in one of the dungeons, but one of the parts where you have to schlep around time looking for one.  I want to say it was the bit leading up to the volcano dungeon where you dick around in the top-left corner of the map, but hell if I remember.

I guess Great Bay Temple took a bit longer than it should've, but not that much.  I never really got why people had so much trouble with Water Temple -- it was basically built like a search tree.

This, basically. The only times I got stuck in these games were when I missed a really simple mechanic or something (i.e. you can cut curtains with your sword).
  • edited 2013-09-25 17:10:24
    Your attitude here is kind of insulting, honestly.
    I will start Dark Souls like tonight or tomorrow maybe. It seems fun.
    Your attitude here is kind of insulting, honestly.
    No I think that is you perceiving an attack on your skill at your favorite game series and taking offense where none is meant.
  • http://store.steampowered.com/app/248800/

i am so hype for this, gonna pick it up monday i guess

eeeeeeeeeeee

also that reminds me if anyone here has not played/read Juniper's Knot yet they should it is free and all so yeah
  • Miko said:

attack on your skill at your favorite game series 
    I'm searching for any other way to interpret this.
  • miko is just saying that the Zelda games, including both the combat and puzzles, are relatively easy. I honestly don't really see how that is related to your skill, or why skill is even that big of a deal?
  • I
    Bunny said:

He was a little self centered and when he got into arguments he always took a patronizing standpoint while offering arguments that weren't actually effective at all.

Not like he's a bad guy or anything, just his antics can be a little hard to bear sometimes.

have a huge pecker
  • sorry, i am putting words into Miko's mouth there, she can speak for herself u_u
    It's ok. :) I just think they are pretty easy games, given how many resources are available to the player. But I still think they are fun.
    Also I always do challenge runs when I play Zelda, unless it's Zelda 2, because I find this a *lot* more satisfying.
  • I was stuck for forever in Ocarina of Time on the part where you had to figure out you had to move Dampe's grave to reveal a cave. Figuring this out took restarting the game at least once.