General Video Game Thread

Comments

• Are you insinuating that any game's story is worthless?
    Unless part of the game is interacting with the story in a meaningful way (which very, very few games have) then the story is just a decoration, no matter how much story content there is. A story can still be good or even add to the game, if it doesn't try to strangle it.

If a story adds to the game, especially if the focus of the game is narrative, then the game is fundamentally changed by removing it. Everything about a game is important. The aesthetic, the level design, the story, all of it weaves together to make a game. It's not as simple as "the gameplay is all that matters."
    "If you read a guide and that makes a puzzle easy, it's not a difficult puzzle."
    Yup. My idea of a puzzle is unpredictable, like a chess game, or a randomly-generated number puzzle, or something like Tetris where you have react to many different possibilities.

That's your idea, but most people would disagree.
  • edited 2013-10-19 12:12:43
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Tic-Tac-Toe is a puzzle from a certain perspective but then we're getting into game theory and euuugh.
    It is barely a game at all imo because the game has been solved. Much like a Zelda puzzle, you can read a guide to tic tac toe and know what to do without thinking.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

Chess is like, the anti-thesis of unpredictable.
    Chess has virtually endless possibilities, depending on each of the two sides.
    A major part of chess play is prediction.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    bluh this is getting boring. I said what I wanted. :)
  • edited 2013-10-19 12:14:40
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Yes, but that takes skill. You couldn't read it off a guide and follow it step-by-step.
  • Tic-Tac-Toe is a puzzle from a certain perspective but then we're getting into game theory and euuugh.
    It is barely a game at all imo because the game has been solved. Much like a Zelda puzzle, you can read a guide to tic tac toe and know what to do without thinking.
    That's not the point of either tic-tac-toe or Zelda's puzzles, though.

I mean theoretically, yes, but unless you're just trying to get to the end of the game without actually playing it (which is stupid) there is no reason to do that. It's entirely possible to zero-effort an action game too, it's just much harder for the average layman because it requires extensive coding knowledge. Tool-assisted runs of a game are lesser examples.
  • my issue with zelda puzzles is like you don't even have to read a freakin guide you either have to do a wee bit of trial and error or the answer is self-evident

also if u read guides to solve puzzles you're hella gay
  • Chess is like, the anti-thesis of unpredictable.

You brits and your dashes.
  • edited 2013-10-19 12:15:42
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

Yes, but that takes skill. You couldn't read it off a guide and follow it step-by-step.

Completely irrelevant to the original point that "chess is unpredictable".
  • A major part of chess play is prediction.
    you actually totally could assuming you were playing against a reasonably predictable opponent (protip every chess player is a reasonably predictable opponent to someone).
  • my issue with zelda puzzles is like you don't even have to read a freakin guide you either have to do a wee bit of trial and error or the answer is self-evident

Which ones have you played? The portable ones tend to be harder, although once you've played the series for long enough and begin to understand the series-wide puzzle logic it gets a lot easier.

He's right, you know. Every time I've used a guide I couldn't help but think how great anal penetration would feel.

• More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    My overall point is that I am bored by games that are effortless, or can be rendered effortless by reading a guide. I am entertained by games where it goes a little differently every time I play.
  • My overall point is that I am bored by games that are effortless, or can be rendered effortless by reading a guide. I am entertained by games where it goes a little differently every time I play.

so what are your thoughts on Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup
  • My overall point is that I am bored by games that are effortless, or can be rendered effortless by reading a guide. I am entertained by games where it goes a little differently every time I play.

And that's fine, but it's not an objective measure of a game's quality or difficulty, it's your preference. And if you prefer games whose challenge lies in execution rather than understanding, that's fine, but again, your preference.
    I usually don't need to but when I have to I never feel bad about it. A good danmaku pattern is a puzzle and even if you read a guide it can still be difficult.
  • I usually don't need to but when I have to I never feel bad about it. A good danmaku pattern is a puzzle and even if you read a guide it can still be difficult.

the only danmaku pattern that is a puzzle in any way is the Go attack from that one fangame.

Maritime Incident or whatever the heck it was called.

Don't get me wrong, danmaku patterns are very intricate and figuring out how to dodge them is much of the point of any shmup, but that's mostly a skill thing, not a knowledge thing. As puzzles are.
    so what are your thoughts on Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup
    I like it but I am no good at it. ^_^ I am also somewhat intimidated by the immense randomness factor.
    the only danmaku pattern that is a puzzle in any way is the Go attack from that one fangame.
    I challenge you to fight an extra boss in Touhou. ^_^
  • that is an acceptable answer to that question

I challenge you to fight an extra boss in Touhou. ^_^
    after you get the Orb of Zot, sure.
    after you get the Orb of Zot, sure.
    :D
  • I will actually take you up on that if you screenshot it.

I'm sure there's some fanthing or another I can download that will let me fight Flandre or something just as a standalone thing.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I ONLY PLAY minesweeper and Tetris, the perfect games.
  • Cutxerk said:

He's right, you know. Every time I've used a guide I couldn't help but think how great anal penetration would feel.

someone please compliment me for this joke
  • i p much literally only play the binding of isaac that is the only game i play

also pokemon yeeeeee

and i read visual novels but those don't really count by most metrics
  • edited 2013-10-19 12:28:17

^ ^ anal penetration is a sexuality neutral thing tho, lots of straight guys like it
  • edited 2013-10-19 12:28:43
    hmm, I would start playing DCSS again maybe. Pyridrym plays it. :)

re: Flan-chan: the stage is part of the challenge too. :3 It's also the easy part.
  • hmm, I would start playing DCSS again maybe. Pyridrym plays it. :)

re: Flan-chan: the stage is part of the challenge too. :3 It's also the easy part.

obviously such an .exe would have the preceding stage as well.
  • ^ ^ anal penetration is a sexuality neutral thing tho, lots of straight guys like it

Oh, really? Didn't know, sorry.
    obviously such an .exe would have the preceding stage as well.
    oh. ^_^ Extra stages are standalone already; you usually unlock them by 1-credit-clearing on Normal. If you can't do that then I recommend doing that first. :)
  • A thought occurred to me recently: Nintendo will usually take a lot longer than Microsoft and Sony to do a thing, but when they do it they do it right. The first example that comes to mind: Compare the number of multi-disc Playstation games to the number of multi-disc Gamecube games.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i often find Zelda puzzles difficult

just saying

also chess can be used to generate puzzles, but fundamentally it's a competitive game, not a puzzle

a puzzle is a single problem with a specific solution and the challenge is in figuring what that solution is, so reading a guide completely defeats the point
    Cutxerk said:

A thought occurred to me recently: Nintendo will usually take a lot longer than Microsoft and Sony to do a thing, but when they do it they do it right. The first example that comes to mind: Compare the number of multi-disc Playstation games to the number of multi-disc Gamecube games.

i've generally felt this to be Nintendo's strongest suit
  • I don't really like most of Nintendo's first-party games, but that is just me.

I find that their third party content tends to make or break their consoles for me. I didn't care for the Wii because there was veeeeeeeeeeeery little on there that appealed to me (Conduit was alright before the second game became a huge parody of the first one).
  • a puzzle is a single problem with a specific solution and the challenge is in figuring what that solution is, so reading a guide completely defeats the point

exactly
  • also CoD of Duty is great best fps i've ever played
  • edited 2013-10-19 12:49:17
    The first example that comes to mind: Compare the number of multi-disc
    Playstation games to the number of multi-disc Gamecube games.
    When Playstation games were on multiple discs, it was because the CD-ROM media didn't have enough memory to hold the giant movie and voice files, which actually would use up the bulk of the memory. "Full motion video," as they used to call it, was in vogue back then, because cut-scenes rendered in real time usually couldn't look flashy enough to dazzle with the older, less capable graphics engines. Systems like the Gamecube and PS2 (which use MP3 and DVD media, respectively) have not only vastly more space on their media, but also more capable processors that allow for flashy real-time cut-scenes (which take up vastly less space than a pre-rendered movie of equal length). Thus, Gamecube games were always(?) on one disc because there was no need to use more.
  • actually no it's too hard for me help
  • The first example that comes to mind: Compare the number of multi-disc
    Playstation games to the number of multi-disc Gamecube games.
    When Playstation games were on multiple discs, it was because the CD-ROM media didn't have enough memory to hold the giant movie and voice files, which actually would use up the bulk of the memory. "Full motion video," as they used to call it, was in vogue back then, because cut-scenes rendered in real time usually couldn't look flashy enough to dazzle with the older, less capable graphics engines. Systems like the Gamecube and PS2 (which use MP3 and DVD media, respectively) have not only vastly more space on their media, but also more capable processors that allow for flashy real-time cut-scenes (which take up vastly less space than a pre-rendered movie of equal length). Thus, Gamecube games were always(?) on one disc because there was no need to use more.
    I can't tell if this is supposed to be you disagreeing. Also, I'm pretty sure there were a few multi-disc games on the PS2 whereas I only know of a few Resident Evil games for the Gamecube that required more than one disc.
    I dunno what multiple discs has to do with Nintendo making good games...? Also I'm pretty sure that Sony and Microsoft don't develop games in-house, but Nintendo is dedicated strongly to that.
  • I dunno what multiple discs has to do with Nintendo making good games...? 

What I'm saying is they got good with the technology before they implemented it.

Also I'm pretty sure that Sony and Microsoft don't develop games in-house, but Nintendo is dedicated strongly to that.

Another reason why I like them.
    i don't really care about the number of discs thing but on the whole i've felt Nintendo takes the time to make a quality product
  • nothing is as infuriating as failing at something you know is designed to be easy
  • i don't really care about the number of discs thing but on the whole i've felt Nintendo takes the time to make a quality product

Compare Microsoft and Sony who spent longer on their motion control but still did worse.
  • I dunno what multiple discs has to do with Nintendo making good games...? Also I'm pretty sure that Sony and Microsoft don't develop games in-house, but Nintendo is dedicated strongly to that.

you could (and I am not going to) make the argument that specialization in the console realm makes Sony the best, but speaking as someone who has not owned a PlayStation since the PS1, that'd be a silly argument for me to make.

the PS4 does look like it's going to be the favored console amongst the "hardcore gamer" crowd this gen, though. The Xbox One has just built up too much bad karma, and I doubt the Steambox is really going to impress anyone.

the Wii U will sell the best of course, both because family friendly and because head start.
    Cutxerk said:

i don't really care about the number of discs thing but on the whole i've felt Nintendo takes the time to make a quality product

Compare Microsoft and Sony who spent longer on their motion control but still did worse.
    the Kinect is actually an excellent motion control system for literally everything but gaming.
  • seriously things are shooting at me and im dying help i thought this would just be shooting fish in barrels ;_;
  • seriously things are shooting at me and im dying help i thought this would just be shooting fish in barrels ;_;

thus is the genius of Cod of Duty.
    What I'm saying is they got good with the technology before they implemented it.
    lol the N64 probably would have used discs if Nintendo and Sony didn't have a disagreement over the SNES-CD licensing. Also the N64DD was a thing, and it failed. Also, I imagine storage media has a very small impact on how games are programmed for a system.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Cutxerk said:

I dunno what multiple discs has to do with Nintendo making good games...? 

Also I'm pretty sure that Sony and Microsoft don't develop games in-house, but Nintendo is dedicated strongly to that.

Another reason why I like them.
    Except the PS1 and Gamecube run on two different disc based formats. This is like comparing DVD against Blu-Ray.
  • Okay, okay, whatever it was a bad example, sorry.