General Video Game Thread

Comments

• Kexruct said:

I remember when I first finished The Forsworn Conspiracy I just sort of had to

lie down for a bit.

I wish there was an option when you're negotiating a peace treaty to beg the Stormcloaks to take Markarth. I don't want that place. I want Markarth to burn.
    Markarth kind of reminds me of Westeros.
  • Well, with Rapture, it's kind of a reverse effect.

You find it when it's practically ripped apart, and then you get glimpses of when it wasn't a complete wreck.
  • [tw: insipid Rayman fanning below]

sooooooo I'm sure you've probably heard by now but I've decided to do a Thing

and that Thing is a Let's Play! 

the game in particular is going to be Rayman Origins, which I won a PC copy of on Tumblr

I'm still working out things behind the scenes but I'm planning a late September release window and 2 new episodes every 2 weeks.

So yeah!
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I don't care at all for anything Rayman, but I'd watch that, Tre.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    :)
  • Crystal said:

I don't care at all for anything Rayman, but I'd watch that, Tre.

Thanks!
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

You know, I can't get over the fact that they lightened Shantae's skin.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/09/08/shantae-now-has-her-old-skin-tone-back-in-shantae-half-genie-hero/
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    :)
  • edited 2013-09-10 12:43:08
    Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    guys guys guys

That game looks snazzy. :o
  • edited 2013-09-14 22:51:28
    Why do people still complain about the change of geography of Cyrodiil?

Like, do people not get that Arena was pretty much the worst TES game in just about every way and the world building in that game was inconsistent with the rest of the series anyway?
  • I don't know where the roguelike thread got to so I'm going to post this here.

First-person stealth/shooter that is also a roguelike and has very PS1-looking graphics. Interesting thing.
    Kexruct said:

Why do people still complain about the change of geography of Cyrodiil?

Like, do people not get that Arena was pretty much the worst TES game in just about every way and the world building in that game was inconsistent with the rest of the series anyway?
    b/c elder scrolls fandom.
  • the game in particular is going to be Rayman Origins, which I won a PC copy of on Tumblr

I loved that game so much.  If you can, do it multiplayer.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    http://www.cardhunter.com/ Card Hunter is a very fun turn based strategy game that has a lot of nods to old school tabletop gaming and has a fun battle system. It's free and in beta now, so I'd check it out.
  • TreTre
    edited 2013-09-15 19:37:15
    I just figured out today I can do co-op. My anonymous partner Rigby and I will probably do a bit together here and there.

Only problem I've run into is the method of recording. Anyone got any recommendations? Fraps seems to have worked the best video-wise but it makes everything else lag a bit too much.
  • Fraps and Camtasia are the only two I ever hear being used.

Lets Playing is an imprecise business.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    raocow uses Camtasia so it must be the best
    I use Fraps and I like it. Sometimes it slows down my games but such things will happen because video capture takes a lot of RAM.
  • Whatever you do, do NOT use Camstudio.  It's free for a very good reason >_>
  • LP UPDATE WOO HOO

I ended up choosing a semi-obscure one named Dxtory! It's similar to Fraps, but with the primary difference being that you can use whatever codec you want with it. It took a bit of digging to set up to work with Fourigins correctly but I found a way, and as we speak I'm rendering a test video just so I'm aware of the kinks and what's working vs. what isn't, etc. The LP as I planned for real should start pretty soon!

• edited 2013-09-16 22:22:49
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Saints Row 4 is really fun you guys.

Also I liked Markath. The architecture was really neat.

Also also, Little Inferno is one of my favorite games ever.
  • The architecture was neat.

The ridiculous corruption, the fact that the player is exposed to this probably without knowing anything about it beforehand (seriously, that questline hardly made a lick of sense until I'd finished it and read the wiki page) and the Darkness Induced Audience Apathy? Eh. Not so much.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Well I barely gave a shit about anything, I just liked going places and doing things. So that quest doesn't quite do anything for me. Although I did feel really bad when that lady was killed.
  • Yeah, the Madanach subplot seems a bit...insufficient, you know?

Like, if you pick Manadnach, the city gets hella slaughtered. And then, a day later, you can go in and smith metal and buy crops, and people are like 'ooooooh, you released the Forsworn', but there's no real consequences to it. And you can't try and fix any of the corruption besides letting the town get slaughtered (which is also an issue with Riften and Maven).
  • what are persons' opinions on Hearthstone? Blizzard's upcoming CCG/Streamlined Magic clone.

• definitely going to fix those mic issues ASAP, but other than that I'm liking it! :D

THE REAL PARTY SHALL BEGIN probably this weekend, provided I get the chance to acquire an impromptu mic stand between then and now. But yeah! I'll make a thread when the time comes.
  • Well I barely gave a shit about anything, I just liked going places and doing things. So that quest doesn't quite do anything for me. Although I did feel really bad when that lady was killed.

You can save her, actually. The quest acknowledges it if you do. It turns out she's an undercover agent of some sort, although I forget for whom.
  • Yeah, the Madanach subplot seems a bit...insufficient, you know?

Like, if you pick Manadnach, the city gets hella slaughtered. And then, a day later, you can go in and smith metal and buy crops, and people are like 'ooooooh, you released the Forsworn', but there's no real consequences to it. And you can't try and fix any of the corruption besides letting the town get slaughtered (which is also an issue with Riften and Maven).
    Genocidal maniacs or corrupt politicians, the eternal question.
  • Speaking of insufficient endings, I'm on the verge of finishing Mass Effect 3 with my Engineer.

Having pre-examined the three choices I'm able to make, I now understand why there was such an uproar when this game got released about the endings. 
  • Kexruct said:

Well I barely gave a shit about anything, I just liked going places and doing things. So that quest doesn't quite do anything for me. Although I did feel really bad when that lady was killed.

You can save her, actually. The quest acknowledges it if you do. It turns out she's an undercover agent of some sort, although I forget for whom.
    She's an Imperial spy, taken out by a Forsworn working for Mannon the Slayer who's working for the Silver-Bloods. Simple.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    They're all bad choices. But that's the thing, isn't it? When were you ever allowed to make a good choice?
  • One thing that really bothers me about TES: everything goes to violence eventually.

Someone's been tipping our cows? Kill them!

Someone's a bit antisocial? Attacks you on sight.

Investigating a thief? Thief is also a murderer apparently, because he attacks you on sight.

Get into a bit of a scuffle at the bar? Trail of corpses.

And how you can never happen upon an area outside of the cities where:
    1. There aren't things that want you dead.
    2. The previous residents are both sympathetic and alive.
  • They're all bad choices. But that's the thing, isn't it? When were you ever allowed to make a good choice?

Okay, but corruption versus genocide isn't really a compelling moral choice.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    This is why you play Fallout New Vegas and only FNV why must you touch storytelling when you cannot approach the divine beauty of Obsidian's masterful perfection why why why

/SA
    Well maybe synthesis is like being a part of the post-Thorian experience. Maybe people can be closer to each other, able to directly draw on others for strength.

Maybe the galaxy could benefit from that.
  • The sadness will last forever.
    Some cool video games never get a sequel. :(
  • BeeBee
    edited 2013-09-16 23:10:25
    It's not even that they're all bad choices (they are, but that's not the problem).  It's that in the last five minutes of the game, it does this godmode asspull that springs the same three choices no matter what, all of which are far-reaching enough to pretty much invalidate the three entire games of choices that built up to it.  And the sum total impact that choice actually has on the story that you see is a different color filter in a cutscene.

• Synthesis is actually a pretty cool choice.

But I wanted to destroy the Reapers. I wanted to tear them out of the sky, rip them apart and drink their...battery acid, I guess. And now I can't do that. Because doing so would kill the Geth and EDI.. And my character, roleplay-wise, is very much focused on the survival of synthetic species

I mean, if they had introduced some of the concepts around the last choice (and suggested that destroying the Reapers might not be the best option) before the last choice, it might be easier to swallow. But the only choice that was really talked about was Destroy. Controlling the Reapers was only talked about as a stupid choice chosen by the Illusive Man because he's an idiot.
  • edited 2013-09-16 23:10:28
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Well I agree that having Control be shown as a more viable choice would make the game much better.

Also I first played the game with the extended content so I don't really understand the "colored filter" thing.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2013-09-16 23:12:46
    Before the extended content, pretty much all it did was change the color of the explosion.

Seriously, that was it.

Not that the extended content makes it that much better.
  • And Synthesis wasn't even on the table. You couldn't have some nutty Alliance scientist talking about it and introducing it, allowing players to become familiar with the idea? At the very least?
  • Odradek said:

This is why you play Fallout New Vegas and only FNV why must you touch storytelling when you cannot approach the divine beauty of Obsidian's masterful perfection why why why

/SA
    Are we not including Dead Money in this?

Because, Dead Money, it....it wasn't the best written DLC.

Interesting characters. Rotting former superstar, double-minded nightkin, and the ex-girlfriend of a companion, and the Courier, pulling a heist. It's just, so, so poorly crafted.
  • edited 2013-09-19 18:56:30
    We can do anything if we do it together.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I saw that earlier. How sad.
  • edited 2013-09-20 08:23:01

Yeah, the Madanach subplot seems a bit...insufficient, you know?

That's a problem with every single quest in the game. Even when you kill Alduin, dragons still show up and attack townspeople, for instance.

It's necessary to some extent. If Markarth were a wreck, then a significant part of the Civil War quest would have to change. And the devs just don't have time for that.

They're all bad choices. But that's the thing, isn't it? When were you ever allowed to make a good choice?

That's pretty much my favorite part about the Forsworn Conspiracy. Hell, I consider throwing the quest giver's note away/ignoring it completely a legitimate ending to the quest. 

Sometimes, the only "good" thing you can do is not play. 
    I was actually talking about Mass Effect, but sure. I guess it might apply to that too (can't remember).
  • Well, isn't just killing Madanoch pretty much an objectively good thing for everyone?

The problem isn't that each choice is flawed in some way, the problem is that in spite of both sides being flawed there is one choice that is objectively better.