General Video Game Thread

Comments

• Why is it that of all the problems a game can have, hand holding is the one thing Zelda fans can never accept?
  • My dreams exceed my real life
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Kexruct said:

Why is it that of all the problems a game can have, hand holding is the one thing Zelda fans can never accept?

Because unless it's a water dungeon, Zelda games are pretty easy anyway?
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    The 3D Lgend of Zelda games kind of play themselves but I guess running around is still fun.
  • edited 2013-07-08 18:13:54
    Easy =/= Bad

There are plenty of good games that are easy.
  • Also, I don't understand why when talking about the Zelda series's difficulty, or lack thereof as it were, puzzles are rarely considered. Most of the games have pretty difficult puzzles.
  • I think

I might want

I might want to play Animal Crossing

with some other people
  • I'm a loser. Also, Creeper. And a woman.
    Wild World or New Leaf?
  • I'm a loser. Also, Creeper. And a woman.
    Ah. Do you have it yet, or are you still getting it?

It's the best one yet, but some stuff is annoying to unlock. I don't like that you had to unlock stores to get the Watering Can or Axe.
  • Yeah, I have it. I'm currently trying to upload a screenshot. Tumblr and the 3DS browser should never mix.
  • On an unrelated note, this is a very sobering read.
  • Mind if I recommend 1...2...3...KICK IT! Drop That Beat Like An Ugly Baby? You can get it in the Early Access part of Steam's store, and it's a pretty interesting music game, kinda like Audiosurf and AaaAAaAAAH!
  • Kexruct said:

Easy =/= Bad

There are plenty of good games that are easy.
    They're generally good for non-difficulty related reasons though. Something like Yume Nikki is effectively neither hard nor easy, because there is so little of a difficulty curve it's hard to qualify how hard it is.
  • Skyrim's main theme is very similar to Morrowind's. It's enough to bring a nostalgic tear to my eye or something.

It's weird, but even though I played Oblivion for a lot longer and liked it a lot more, I still feel more nostalgic for Morrowind.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Bleed is a fun game.
  • Is it a game where you compulsively and unreasonably challenge yourself?
    Considering the existence of arcade mode (win the game on one life!), potentially. :)
    Soooo the plot of Bleed is "sociopathic aspiring game hero goes to murder 6 other game heroes so she can be the best, but unexpectedly has to face a rival with the same mission." I like nihilistic plots. :) Touhou is fairly nihilistic too, but slightly less morbid.
    It has a some subtle nods to Mega Man 2, I notice.
  • Okay, The Cave is wonderful and all of you should purchase it, especially since it's only $3 for the next week.

Go. Go now. Gooooooo.
    Apparently it is a spiritual successor to Maniac Mansion. Interesting. :o
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    http://www.twitch.tv/moruid
    Someone is streaming Pikmin 3 if you are interested
  • Aaaaaaaaah

Okay, so I got Little Inferno and it just did the thing where the kiddy looking game that's actually made for the 13+ group does something decidedly non-kiddy.

Man, you can't even tell that game's non-kiddy until five minutes into the game. People have definitely bought this for children, and children shouldn't see or hear what I just saw.
  • So the newest quest on Runescape centers around the invention of bacon. Since there were domestic pigs in the game beforehand, this would be a plot hole. Apparently, though, in this game's world, up until this point pigs were raised exclusively for ceremonial greased pig wrestling.

I have no idea why I find this so funny.

• And also apparently in this world horses (or, as they're called in-game, hornless unicorns) went extinct because people thought they were delicious.
  • When asking the quest giver, Eli Bacon, if naming a food after himself would cause confusion, he replied with this
    I don't think so. No one gets Richard Cookedmeat confused with the food he came up with. Same with Gerald Beer and Simon Bread.
    I have a good feeling about this quest.
  • And apparently bacon was discovered because wrestling pigs are attached to a spit to keep them still while they are lathered in ceremonial grease and garlic for wrestling, with dry twigs and rags placed beneath to catch the fallen grease, which predictably ended with a spark igniting the kindling and lighting the pig on fire.

It just keeps getting better.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    the very premise of Little Inferno kinda bothers me
  • edited 2013-07-14 04:43:06
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.

Little Inferno's story is primarily told through letters received from various non-playable characters.[5] The game is set in a city where the weather is constantly snowy and freezing. The Tomorrow Corporation, a self-reference
    to the game's developer, is a company whose headquarters is located on
    the outskirts of the city and produces a product called the "Little
    Inferno Entertainment Fireplace," which is advertised as a means to keep
    warm in the freezing temperature.[3]

The unnamed player character is mostly sent letters from a little
    girl, Sugar Plumps, who turns out to be the character's neighbor and has
    a Little Inferno Entertainment Fireplace of her own. She is usually
    excitable and bubbly; however, as the player character burns through the
    items in his catalogs and requests more of them, she takes on a
    slightly more disturbing persona.

The Weather Man, "over the smoke stacks, over the city" in his
    balloon, continues to report on the dreary state of the weather as the
    game progresses, and calls out several major events as he sees them.

Sugar Plumps begins requesting certain items relatively early in her
    association with the player character; these can be sent using the
    simple drag-and-drop interface. Later on, she sends gifts of her own
    (fireproof drapes for decoration, miscellaneous items to be burned).

In a decidedly dark turn, Sugar Plumps' house eventually explodes,
    apparently with Sugar Plumps feeding herself to the flames willingly.
    After this, the player character continues to receive letters from an
    unnamed entity which looks like Sugar Plumps' ghost.

The apparition eventually tells the player character it's time to
    move on, and advises him to burn together the same four items that he
    sent Sugar Plumps. When he does, the previously unmoving gear-like
    device at the back of the fireplace comes alive, and with a great deal
    of tremor, the player character's house explodes.

Gameplay now takes the form of a side-scrolling graphical adventure,
    and the player character (now seen for the first time) can walk around
    in his city, conversing with certain people including the postman who
    was responsible for delivering the items the player character ordered.
    He gives the player character a letter which indicates that Sugar Plumps
    did escape her house after it exploded, and is now on a beach
    somewhere.

The player character eventually reaches the gates of Tomorrow
    Corporation, who manufactured the Little Inferno Entertainment
    Fireplaces, and gets to meet the CEO, Miss Nancy, who had also been
    sending letters. Nancy reveals that it was her plan all along to escape
    from the doomed city, and world, with a rocket ship, and does so,
    optionally giving the player character a hug if he had kept a specific
    item from earlier on.

Exiting Tomorrow Corporation, the player character encounters the
    Weather Man in his balloon, who offers to take the player character for a
    ride. The game then ends as the two soar endlessly over the frozen
    wastes.

• TreTre
    edited 2013-07-12 23:56:51
    So I helped my dad buy The Walking Dead by trading in my PS3 copy of Portal 2 today for it.

Initially I thought I wasn't going to be interested because I'm usually not an adventure game kind of guy and I'd never really been exposed to TWD before but I tried it out and played about a third of episode one, and it wasn't bad at all. My sister kind of hampered my enjoyment of it by screaming at me when I inadvertently made an assholish choice or two to Clementine (dear sweet precious Clementine, bless her heart) but I still liked it, and the story is definitely engaging enough for me to want more.

Pick it up during the Steam Sale if you haven't already!
  • edited 2013-07-13 23:56:24
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    I restarted playing Minecraft with Feed the Beast! This time I'm gonna try to use the bees more, explore plenty of mystcraft worlds and get those REALLY expensive machine from FUCKING GregTech

And those bees...

That's a breeding chart btw
  • Well, that's that for Little Inferno. Wow, it knows how to give a kick in the feels. It's like the Zynga Edition of  Spec Ops: The Line.

Miko, you should probably put that under a spoiler bar. Now that I'm actually looking at it, that post is hella full of spoilers.
  • You know, when I replayed Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, it occurred to me that that game is... kind of a mess actually.
  • So, yeah, this is my official recommendation: get Little Inferno.

It works on the same principles as Spec Ops: The Line, but focusing on the faults of vapid casual gaming rather than the wish-fulfillment of first-person shooters. It's also moderately less harsh on the psyche. And it doesn't have the gameplay issues that SOTL has. It tells a damn good story using polished sandbox mechanics. And Kyle Gabler, the guy behind the music, is really good at writing music for specific characters and moments. And music in general.

And if none of that is a reason to buy it, then buy it because you get to burn a lot of stuff and though the super sale for it is finished, it's still only $5.
  • And if none of those reasons are enough, you're allowed to upload your own pictures from your hard drive and burn them.

Webcomic character bumming you out? Burn 'em. Politicians being stupid? Burn 'em.

It's the perfect stress reliever.
    Miko, you should probably put that under a spoiler bar. Now that I'm
    actually looking at it, that post is hella full of spoilers.
    oh sorry >_<
  • So, The Walking Dead.

There are no words.

I knew that there was a black protagonist, but I didn't know that he'd be the main protagonist. I just spent an hour walking around, as a black guy, who's his own character and not someone I built out of a creator kit, with proper black hair, just keeping this little mixed girl safe from the zombie apocalypse.

The gameplay itself is limited to dialogue choices and the occasional quicktime event, but $7 for a 5-episode visual novel isn't a bad choice. And the writing and acting is excellent.

And this is the first time that I've heard someone in media actually discuss how hard black hair is to mess with.
  • And in news that will only interest Bunny, I am now the Mer-Kin High Priest in KoL, and the owner of a shiny new pair of pants.

You lot have no idea how difficult that was.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit

And in news that will only interest Bunny, I am now the Mer-Kin High Priest in KoL, and the owner of a shiny new pair of pants.

You lot have no idea how difficult that was.

Heh. I haven't played KoL in a while.

But I can imagine the difficulty. I once went basement diving down to floor 500, that was quite the ordeal.
  • AAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHH

MY DATA ON NEW LEAF GOT CORRUPTED

*EXPLODES*
    I just got the Gundemonium Collection and the eXceed Collection, cheaply because of the Steam summer sale. I also got Satazius a few days ago, so this is seven new shmups. :D I cannot resist the temptation of shmups on sale. u_u
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Beat Bioshock Infinite. It's a great game, but it kinda goes downhill near the end. Especially since for some reason, the last two areas suddenly remove ammo vending machines.
    The last area could be a rhythm game that uses the Guitar Hero controller: Bio-rock!