General Video Game Thread

Comments

• Oh, really? Well, either way, traveling in that game is excruciatingly slow when you're starting out.
  • Looking through these screenshots, I guess Morrowind's aesthetic isn't as bad as I'd originally thought, but I still don't like the overly brown palette. 
  • in news of the video games i have continued playing Bastion it is nice i'm getting the hang of it and the War Machete is overpowered
  • edited 2013-07-05 19:11:09
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    and that it doubles the amount of everything that Bethseda's other open-world games have.
    Except sheer size. :) Daggerfall's game world is 161,600 km2, which is four orders of magnitude larger than Skyrim's 41. Just, the world is procedurally generated instead of hand-crafted.
  • I'm level 18 in Borderlands ATM but I just barely stumbled out of a pair of side missions with the bro that were supposed to be easily done at level 15. We were collecting shock crystals in some dungeon named, rather creatively, the Lost Cave.

We both agreed that we never want to return.
  • So, concerning Super Street Fighter IV.

I am currently main-ing E. Honda and Dudley. I'm not particularly good with them. My attempts at winning online matches have gone remarkably poorly.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Shit, I've been playing through Psychonauts recently

It really is a super fantastic game
  • I'm buying it next, after I raise like 7 more dollars
  • i guess ive completed my first bastion playthrough, will be going through with shrine god whatevers next time

in other related news, eeeeeeeee turn based strategy
  • Bunny said:

How far are you? Have you gotten to the milkman yet?

Bunny said:

How far are you? Have you gotten to the milkman yet?
    Waterloo World.

Also, as far as areas go, I found Milkman to be rather overrated. Great, yes, but overrated. I found Gloria's Theater and Black Velvetopia to be just as interesting, if not moreso.
  • Gloria's Theater? Man, that level felt horrible. Not too bad thematically, but I couldn't fight off the enemies in the dark parts for some reason.

Let's be honest, I think we would all prefer playing the entire game in Black Velvetopia mode.
    Well, I just finished Psychonauts.

That was a fantastically odd game and I found it to be quite brilliant.

Methinks I'm going to try out a different Double Fine game now; I have both Stacking and Costume Quest, and both of them seem rather good.
  • I am playing a yu gi oh video game on my tablet via emulator. it promises to be stupidly entertaining
  • I am playing a yu gi oh video game on my tablet via emulator. it promises to be stupidly entertaining

which one?
  • The 2012 world tournament DS thing. CARD GAMES ON MOTORCYCLES
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    CARD GAMES ON MOTORCYCLES
  • The 2012 world tournament DS thing. CARD GAMES ON MOTORCYCLES

how do you have a working DS emulator.

mine is shit :|

• Oh it is crap, but sufficiently not crap that I can play, even if there is a fair amount of lag.
  • mine literally runs at a single frame per second.
  • What are you running it on?
  • you need a better emulator
  • also, have you tried turning the sound off?
  • I'm glad that my raging superiority complex in the area of game emulation prevents me from having problems with them.

• i have no idea what you even mean with that sentence
    my Kextruct translator says "I do not have any problems with emulation because I refuse to emulate in the first place beep boop meow"
  • edited 2013-07-07 18:35:23
    I've been playing Killing Floor again because the Summer event started and they added in an Objective mode, and that mode doesn't fuck around.

Seriously, I recommend having a Perk be at least Level 5, maybe Level 4 before you tackle KFO-Steamland.
  • Just finished an El Fuerte vs El Fuerte match in SSF4. Won too.

If any of you delve into the cruel world of SSF4 Live Matches (I mean, theoretically), I recommend that you take a look at El Fuerte. Sure, he's a goofy stereotype, but he's relatively easy to learn, and you get to use lucha moves. It's pretty cool.
  • Skyrim continues to be pretty great.
  • I'd like to grab Dragonborn when it comes on sale.

Sure, the whole dragon-riding thing has been decried by many, but Apocrypha looks pretty cool, and I'm willing to give Betheseda another chance after the pretty bore that was the Soul Cairn.
  •  think the greatest warrior who ever lived had to be Vilus Nommenus,” offered Xiomara. “Name one other warrior who conquered more territory.”
    “Tiber Septim obviously,” said Hallgerd.
    “He wasn't a warrior, he was an administrator, a politician,” said Garaz. “And besides, acreage conquered can't be final means of determining the best warrior. How about skill with a blade?”
    “There are other weapons than blades,” objected Xiomara. “Why not skill with an axe or a bow? Who was the greatest master of all weaponry?”
    “I can't think of one greatest master of all weaponry,” said Hallgerd. “Balaxes of Agia Nero in Black Marsh was the greatest wielder of a lance. Ernse Llervu of the Ashlands is the greatest master of the club I've ever seen. The greatest master of the katana is probably an Akaviri warlord we've never heard of. As far as archery goes --”
    “Pelinal Whitestrake supposedly conquered all of Tamriel by himself,” interrupted Xiomara.
    “That was before the First Era,” said Garaz. “It's probably mostly myth. But there are all sorts of great warriors of the modern eras. The Camoran Usurper? The unknown hero who brought together the Staff of Chaos and defeated Jagar Tharn?”
    “We can't declare an unknown champion as the greatest warrior. What about Nandor Beraid, the Empress Katariah's champion?” suggested Xiomara. “They said he could use any weapon ever invented.”
    “But what happened to him?” smiled Garaz. “He was drowned in the Sea of Ghosts because he couldn't get his armor off. Call me overly particular, but I think the greatest warrior in the world should know how to take armor off.”
    “It's kinda hard to judge ability to wear armor as a skill,” said Xiomara. “Either you have basic functionality in a suit of armor or you don't.”
    “That's not true,” said Hallgerd. “There are masters in that as well, people who can do things while wearing armor better than we can out of armor. Have you ever heard of Hlaalu Pasoroth, the King's great grandfather?”
    Xiomara and Garaz admitted that they had not.
    “This was hundreds and hundreds of years ago, and Pasoroth was the ruler of a great estate which he had won by right of being the greatest warrior in the land. It's been said, and truly, that much of the House's current power is based on Pasoroth's earnings as a warrior. Every week he held games at his castle, pitting his skill against the champions of the neighboring estates, and every week, he won something. His great skill wasn't in the use of weaponry, though he was decent enough with an axe and a long sword, but in his ability to move quickly and with great agility wearing a full suit of heavy mail. There were some who said that he moved faster while wearing armor than he did out of it.
    “Some months before this story begins, he had won the daughter of one of his neighbors, a beautiful creature named Mena who he had made his wife. He loved her very much, but he was intensely jealous, and with good reason. She wasn't very pleased with his husbandly skills, and the only reason Mena never strayed was because Pasoroth kept a close eye on her. She was, to put it kindly, naturally amorous and resentful of her position as a prize. Wherever he went, he always brought her with him. At the games, she was placed in a special box so that he could see her even while he competed.
    “But his real competition, though he didn't know it, was from a handsome young armorer he also had won at one of his competitions. Mena had noticed him, and the armorer, whose name was Taren, had certainly noticed her.”

• “This has all the makings of a dirty joke, Hallgerd,” said Xiomara, with a smile.
    “I swear that it's entirely true,” said Hallgerd. “The problem facing the lovers was, of course, that they could never be alone. Perhaps because of this, it became a burning obsession to both of them. Taren decided that the best time for them to consummate their love was during the games. Mena feigned illness, so she didn't have to stay in the box, but Pasoroth visited the sickroom every few minutes between fights, so Taren and Mena could never get together. The sound of Pasoroth's armor clunking up the stairs to visit his sick wife gave Taren the idea.
    “He crafted his lord a new suit of armor, strong, and bright, and beautifully decorated. For his purposes, Taren rubbed the leg joints with luca dust so the more he sweated and the more he moved them, the more they'd stick together. After a little while, Taren figured, Pasoroth wouldn't be able to walk very quickly, and wouldn't have enough time in between fights to visit his wife. But just in case, Taren also added bells to the legs which rung loudly when they moved, so the couple would be able to hear him coming in plenty of time.
    “When the games commenced the following week, Mena feigned illness again and Taren presented his lord with the new armor. Pasoroth was delighted with it, as Taren hoped he would be, and donned it for his first fight. Taren then stole upstairs to Mena's bedchamber.
    “All was silent outside as the two began to make love. Suddenly, Mena noticed a peculiar expression on Taren's face and before she had a chance to ask him about it, his head fell off at the neck. Pasoroth was standing behind him with his axe in hand.”
    “How did he get upstairs so quickly, with his leg joints gummed up? And didn't they hear the bells ringing?” asked Garaz.
    “Well, you see, when Pasoroth realized he couldn't walk on his legs very quickly, he walked on his hands.”
    “I don't believe it,” laughed Xiomara.
    “What happened next?” asked Garaz. “Did Pasoroth kill Mena also?”
    “No one knows exactly what happened next,” said Hallgerd. “Pasoroth didn't return for the next game, nor for the next. Finally, at the fourth game, he returned to fight, and Mena appeared in the box to watch. She didn't appear to be sick anymore. In fact, she was smiling and had a light flush to her face.”
    “They did it?” cried Xiomara.
    “I don't have all the salacious details, except that after the battle, it took ten squires thirteen hours to get Pasoroth's armor off because of all the luca dust mixed with sweat.”
    “I don't understand, you mean, he didn't take his armor off when they -- but how?”
    “Like I said,” replied Hallgerd. “This is a story about someone who was more agile and accomplished in his armor than out of it.”
    “Now, that's skill,” said Garaz.
    Case in point.
  • I find it hilarious that like a third of the books in the series are just extended sex jokes.
  • I have no idea what that is, but that comment reminds me of the Real Barenziah Chronicles.

Barenziah: Answering questions about Khajiit genitalia that really didn't need to be answered since 2010
  • It's an in-game book called Hallgerd's Tale. 

I'm really starting to love the in-game books.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I really suck at Dynamite Headdy

/old games nobody cares about
  • That game is on the Xbox Sega Collection thingamajigger. I've played it.
    Then tell me how to beat that snake boss thing
  • That collection had so many games that I don't think I was ever able to focus on one for more than twenty minutes. Dynamite Headdy, I think I totaled about ten minutes on that.
    It's colorful and unique and I like it but I just am not good at it

Sorta like life
  • My stance on books differs depending on my character.

The Khajiit rogue/knight mostly skims through books, though he will read books that seem interesting and collects copies of the Lusty Argonian. The Dunmer battlemage will fully read any skill book (at least, he did until he succumbed to the powerlust). The Argonian assassin ignores books whenever possible (she's not quite literate...or civilized, for that matter), and the Orcish smith reads when it's suitable for her.
  • It's colorful and unique and I like it but I just am not good at it

Sorta like life

#TreWithEveryVideoGameEver
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    I would play it.

• image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Huh. That's weird. Teeth shouldn't spawn that often. Luck overflow glitch?
    According to the reddit post that goes with it he got 12 luck pills
    so apparently there's a PS2 game called Dog's Life where the plot is that a crazy cat lady starts kidnapping dogs to make them into cat food

hahahahawhat