General Video Game Thread

Comments

• edited 2017-03-06 01:32:24

Games are taken seriously now?

TAKE NOTHING SERIOUSLY

ENTIRE WORLD IS WONDERPOSTING
  • Games are taken seriously now?

I genuinely considered not posting because I kneeeeew this would be your response. >:/
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    hey, don't shoot the messenger!
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    I think it's fair to say that games are becoming seen as more and more legitimate and taken more seriously than they ever have been in the past. They will only become moreso as future generations grow up with them. 

The biggest issue, I think, is that parents saw them as something that their kids do, and therefore put them all in the "kids stuff" category. However, as people now are growing up with games that often have much more adult storylines and themes, that is slowly changing. :)
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-03-06 04:33:29
    TitleName said:

Wasn't there a half-decent LotR game on a semi-recent console like GC, PS2, Wii, or PS3?  One where you don't play as the main characters of the legend, but as some other characters, and also apparently a JRPG or something odd like that.

The Third Age. Battle system kinda cribbed off Final Fantasy X.
    It was also slow plodding crap with overly long battle animations, awful balance, a nearly straight line that puts FF13 to shame, and completely uninteresting characters.  Which is a shame because they did some neat stuff, but you had to dig for it.

Evil Mode was actually kinda cool.
  • I am at the point in FFXIII where it can't decide if it wants to be effortlessly easy or obnoxiously hard.

The game's battle system is an impenetrable mess and it's not helped by the damage sponge enemies.
  • Chapter 11, for the record. Guess I'm gonna spend even more time fucking about with the Behemoth King and that one wolf dude who you can preemptive strike for easy CP.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

Witness the might of a true Hexer!
  • I replayed MGS2 and dude 

can you believe they let people other than kojima make games? fucking crazy man
  • audio
    video
    Hideo
  • Hideogames?
  • Kexruct said:

I am at the point in FFXIII where it can't decide if it wants to be effortlessly easy or obnoxiously hard.

The game's battle system is an impenetrable mess and it's not helped by the damage sponge enemies.

Update: Turns out the quest arrow was misleading me and having me skip vast swathes of the chapter. I fought Vanille's Eidolon, got my ass handed to me despite the preceding area being relatively manageable (bit of a difficulty bump but it felt par for the course for this badgame) and went back to grind sidequests/that one Behemoth fight you always get a preemptive strike on and ended up stumbling onto the story stuff you're supposed to see first
  • This game is stupid.
  • I play it like once a week with a friend and when I opened the paradigm screen we both groaned for a solid ten seconds because, fuck, man, we're doing this shit AGAIN

Witness the might of a true Hexer!

The kill video from this.
  • Tre said:

audio
    video
    Hideo

no place to hideo baby
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Aren't Hideo and Zeldio Sabrina's aunts?
  • My dreams exceed my real life

Aren't Hideo and Zeldio Sabrina's aunts?

They're Sabrino's uncles in the ill-advised gender flip universe
  • So close to the end of Super Mystery Dungeon's postgame.  Just a few treasures and bonus dungeons left, including the lv5 solo one I've been dreading.  778 connections, and it looks like Arceus is the last -- he just posted a quest for the 99F tower.
  • edited 2017-03-10 06:20:02
    UE streaming AM2R now http://original.livestream.com/unknownentity634

livestream ended at around 1 AM; next episode later
  • Damn it. I'm trying to get back into UMvC3 and I'm so rusty at it.
  • http://store.steampowered.com/app/295610

TL;DR with this game: it should have been tagged "Horror" so that people wouldn't come into this expecting Metroid-style action gameplay and then people wouldn't rag on it like they have
    People who have played Sunless Sea: What was your favorite port? I'm really partial to Varchas and all the weird stuff going on there, though I like all of the elder continent locations a whole lot
  • The one way up north that I forget the name of.
    Avid Horizon?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    You know

My siblings and I always treated DualShock and DualShock 2 controllers as interchangeable, using both on the PS1 and the PS2

The DualShock 2 is technically different in that all its buttons are analog, but pretty much no games actually took advantage of that, so there was very little difference in practice
  • I can do you one better: at one point we used a PS1 Dual Analog controller as our player 2 controller because it worked just fine with the system; the only difference that actually was clear in use was that there was no rumble

yntkt
    There's actually a few PS2 games that refuse to run unless you're using a DS2, but they're pretty uncommon.
    1.7 (13 March 2017)

SERIOUS
    -Ported the game to Game Maker 7.0. Unfortunately this may cause audio glitches on some computers whenever a background song begins to play.
    -Added a major story modifier. To trigger it, defeat the final boss with over 300 total kills. This presents you with a choice that leads either to the standard or a new ending.
    -Added a major story modifier. To trigger it, defeat the Sector 9 boss with 270 total kills or less and without recruiting Ansaksie. This presents you with a choice that leads either to the standard or a new ending.
    -Added Passive weapons. Press Enter to switch the basic weapons into non-lethal passive versions with various functionalities. The Attack stat improves their abilities in various ways.
    -Passive weapon: Stun gun: Fires a wide, short-range stunning blast. The Attack stat increases the stun time.
    -Passive weapon: Impact Machinegun: Fires a single staggering bullet that interrupts enemy attacks. The Attack stat increases the range of the projectile.
    -Passive weapon: Impulse launcher: Fires an impulse rocket that knocks enemies flying without damaging them. The Attack stat increases the projectile speed, making it more difficult to dodge or reflect.
    -Passive weapon: MPFB Neutralizer: Stuns all enemies in a 15 meter area around the user at the cost of 3 MPFB ammo. The Attack stat increases the stun time.
    -Passive weapon: Resonance disruptor: Nullifies rockets and other projectiles. The Attack stat increases the active time of the disruptor field.
    -Passive weapon: Pulse linker: Harmlessly drains Nano from enemies. While extremely ammunition hungry, it drains more Nano per second the more powerful the Nanofield it targets, but bosses are immune. The Attack stat increases the projectile speed and range.
    -Passive weapon: Shock barrier: Sets up a barrier that nullifies rockets and other projectiles, plus Machinegun and Pulse cannon fire. The Attack stat increases the active time of the barrier.
    -Passive weapon: Chain Fractal Injection Shell: Instantly and successfully cracks things from a distance, provided you have a high enough Crack stat to do the job manually, at the cost of 3 CFIS ammo. The Attack stat increases the range of the projectile.
    -Killing an enemy with a reflected projectile now counts as a kill again.
    -Iji walks 20% faster. Altered some areas to compensate.
    -Iji's cracking/interacting range has been extended and given a special effect to indicate it.
    -Assimilate now increases ammo capacity by 5 for each level, and Assimilate level 10 increases capacity to 99.
    -Increased Attack stat multiplier so that at level 10, Iji's weapons deal 3x damage instead of 2x. At level 1 they also deal 1x damage instead of 1.1x.
    -Combined the various Cyborg stations into a new one that lets you level all stats from the HUD.
    -Remade Weapon stations so the use the arrow keys and C to select the weapons to combine. The weapon keys can also be used like always.
    -Added expanded savefile. You can load save slots from previous versions of the game, but some story changes will not make sense if you do.
    -Failing to crack a Nanoweapon combination now has a chance (higher depending on the difficulty level) to reduce ammo for the weapons involved in the attempt by 5.
    -Enemies can no longer be killed by cracking them, not even when their HP is halved.
    -Cracking Tasen Scouts now disables their Machineguns instead of killing them.
    -Cracking a Beast now stuns it for 20 seconds instead of killing it.
    -Firing the Plasma Cannon in the Sector 5 boss room no longer breaks the collision.
    -Removed time penalty for Vateilika killing Krotera.
    -Fixed being able to activate lifts while dead and being resurrected by a checkpoint.
    -The Explosive Shotgun, Explosive Buster Gun, Banana Gun and Retribution now award kills correctly.
    -Krotera's boss room no longer starts you with 3 Jump and 3 Armor in the Single Sector Play and Sudden Death Sector modes.
    -Shocksplinter shards now check whether they belong to Iji correctly.
    -Activated Assassins are correctly removed when Iji dies.
    -The Sector 5 end lift now comes down correctly when resurrecting at the checkpoint.
    -Nanomirror is now a high-tier overload effect, so only non-pacifist players can get it.
    -Less enemies are now in Sector 4 when Iji is below the neutral kill count, and that kill requirement now matches the 5 kills per Sector rule.

MINOR/COSMETIC
    -Overhauled all text.
    -Overhauled a lot of graphics.
    -Halved the volume of all sound and music, so it no longer clips whenever a sound plays.
    -Added more passive and berserk modifiers to Iji's dialogues.
    -There is now red blood for Iji and some other human characters. This can be turned off in the options menu.
    -Iji now leaves a body behind when dying, and bloodstains on the wall if she was killed by a bladed weapon.
    -The game keeps track of every individual Iji kills and how she did it, displaying it in a certain pair of logbooks. Individuals who have written logbooks are usually found near their logs.
    -Some enemies are no longer slower on Normal difficulty.
    -Added pop-in descriptions for difficulty levels in the main menu.
    -Iji no longer breaks the truce when brushing against Tasen in Sector 3, but she will break it if she attempts to crack them.
    -Iji no longer takes contact damage from enemies during the truce in sector 3.
    -Kicking enemies with insufficient Strength now harmlessly staggers them, if they can be staggered.
    -Reload times of Resonance detonator and Resonance reflector reduced from 5 to 4 seconds.
    -Increased Soldiers' speed to 3.
    -Increased Commanders' speed to 3.
    -Increased Elites' speed to 4.
    -Increased Soldiers' and Commanders' range for safely firing rockets.
    -Slightly reduced Commanders' Rocket launcher charge times.
    -Tasen Shredders now take correct damage from MPFB Devastator and Velocithor V2-10.
    -Skysmashers now briefly charge their Shocksplinter before firing.
    -Tasen Scouts now enter a "scared" pose instead of firing when facing a berserk Iji, facing a Berserker, or when their weapon is malfunctioning.
    -Tightened the Shotgun and Buster gun pellet spread.
    -Reduced Assassins' HP by 1 across all difficulties.
    -Sped up some of Asha's and the regular Assassins' attacks (but not Asha2).
    -Asha now drops one elecbomb per hit point lost.
    -Proxima never uses the "chase" order unless coming back from electrocution.

-Improved Proxima's "chase" AI.
    -Proxima moves twice as fast.
    -Proxima now announces its orders in ternary, and no longer announces light damage being sustained.
    -Proxima can now use Angular shift to escape being juggled left and right by heavy weapons, indicated by a unique special effect.
    -Proxima's electropads now start disabled, but the terminals to activate them can be used right away.
    -Proxima now drops Red Nanofields when knocked into the electropads.
    -Iosa now fires Crawlers at certain HP intervals.
    -Iosa2 now jumps back a shorter distance if Iji is on the left side of the room.
    -Iosa2 is now stunned less on Normal and Hard when kicked.
    -Iosa2 will now use a standard swipe attack if she hasn't used one in her last four attacks, rather than it being entirely random.
    -Iosa2's standard slash is no longer a "fatality" attack that pierces Suppression.
    -Iosa2 now calculates her spinjump arc better.
    -Iosa2 now moves slightly faster on Normal and slightly slower on Extreme.
    -Fixed gamma issue when Iosa explodes.
    -Tor's Ultra Shotgun can now hit at ground level, but fires less shells.
    -Tweaked various timings in the Tor fight, making him faster overall.
    -Tor no longer fires a stray Chargeball when defeated while supercharging.
    -Tor now drops health pickups when hit by a reflected Chargeball rather than when he jumps away.
    -Tor's boss hint now reminds player how to switch to the Resonance reflector.
    -Can no longer walk repeatedly into Tor with Cybernetic Endurance and only take damage once.
    -Turrets now have lights showing what weapon they carry.
    -Charge times on Turrets are now the same when they detect an enemy as when they continously fire.
    -Turrets are no longer destroyed by explosions whose active frames have expired.
    -Tasen Scouts and Soldiers hit by the MPFB Devastator or Velocithor V2-10 are disintegrated.
    -Fixed Komato Troopers walking to the left more often when randomizing between left and right.
    -Shortened unskippable time of boss hint chats.
    -The lift in the ambush room in Sector 8 now activates much faster after the Berserkers teleport in.
    -Fixed Megamissiles being possible to reflect no matter where Iji was standing.
    -The Resonance reflector, Resonance disruptor, and Shock barrier visibly and audibly explode when failing to reflect/nullify an attack. They explode one frame after being hit, so it's still possible to reflect/nullify projectiles overlapping ones that cannot be reflected/nullified.
    -Turrets, Skysmashers, Proxima and Iosa no longer generate their armor past 100 on Sudden Death Sector.
    -Elites no longer fire MPFB into walls at such close range that they damage themselves.
    -Vateilika no longer trades in Pulse ammo to prevent abuse of the Pulse linker.
    -Removed "waste of time" chat from Sector 7 since it's now trivial to reach.
    -When both power core doors are opened in Sector X, Iji will remark on it when entering the rooftop area from either side, rather than just the left side.
    -Made the Cracker's hideout easier to find.
    -Iji drops Nano and correct ammo on death.
    -Fixed some explosion offsets.
    -When poking Vateilika in Sector 9, she acknowledges whether Yukabacera lived or died.
    -Reading logbooks now stops Nano Overload and Time to live timers.
    -Added a message for skipping the last terminal in Sector 6. If you know how to do it, the Berserker will attempt to assist you by always turning to you and firing its Resonance reflector in that exact spot.
    -Added a red gamma effect to Eruption.
    -The dummied out blood behind Iosa2 when she is killed is now visible.
    -Removed the "Reload graphics" option from the pause menu, since it does nothing now.
    -Changed text on Gamma option and renamed it "Screen color FX"
    -When facing left, ejected shotgun, buster gun and machinegun shells are now drawn behind Iji.
    -Can no longer jump halfway past Vateilika's trigger in Sector 7.
    -You can now pause in the final area of Sector Z.
    -スfabrikat now stops correctly when pressing Escape in the sound test.
    -Iji now comments differently on the Proxima fight in Sudden Death Sector, or if her Health level is 5 or lower.
    -Rewrote Velocithor V2-10 related texts to note that it deals less damage per ammo than the CFIS, not more.
    -Made the Phantom Hammer more visually impressive, and made the game briefly slow down even if it misses Iji.
    -Replaced the main menu hidden message.
    -Wall blocking the Null driver now disappears correctly if entering Sector Z was the final unlockable you needed.
    -Doubled the power of Ansaksie's Massacre, as it's an actual Generation 2 Nanogun.
    -The Null driver now cut's Tor's current HP by one third on top of dealing 2 damage.
    -Traveling to Sector Y now works in Sudden Death Sector mode.
    -The Statistics screen now shows "N/A" for the poster in Sector Y.
    -Glass shards, shell casings etc. are now destrouyed outside the view.
    -Changed many small things in most Sectors, such as geometry and item placement.
    -Fixed many minor things.
    -Updated the Remar Games speedrun times. Due to all the changes, speedruns from version 1.6 and earlier cannot be compared with ones done in 1.7 and above.

NOT CHANGED
    -I still don't consider the Annihilators destroying themselves with their own weapons an error, since it suits their nature.
    -Troopers sometimes running the opposite way is not a bug, but their way to put more distance between themselves and their opponents, since Shocksplinter deals more damage but can't be fired in close quarters.
  • edited 2017-03-14 00:53:08
    Wow.

This is a really neat game and these updates are quite neat but I just can't get myself to play it again because I feel a little overwhelmed with the number of options of how to play the game e.g. what skills to advance and what weapons to choose from

sigh

In any case though great to see that it has been updated.  Remar is p darn cool
    Jane said:

The one way up north that I forget the name of.

Frostfound?
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-03-15 05:41:46
    Beating my head against La-Mulana.  I tried this before on my poor Lappy 486 but the slowdown was just too much.  With a decent desktop I'm doing...okay, if painstakingly.  I had a lot of trouble with Sakit, but blew away Ellmac in one go, which I gather is unusual watching videos of them after the fact.  It took me WAAAAY too long to find the pendant for the fairies, and presumably there's an axe that's been available since forever ago.  Also I took out Zu and got an achievement for doing it without using the Lamp of Time, which...I guess that means there's a Lamp of Time or something lol.

Is the Image Scanner only used in extremely obvious places?  I tried using it on the giant fucking mural in Chamber of Extinction but it said no dice, so if it didn't work on that then I'm not sure wtf it's for unless I'm supposed to take a selfie and scan my face for ancient writing some asshole skeleton priest doodled on it after a curry nap.  I don't want to consult a guide, but I'm willing to take an answer of "yes/no you will/won't know when to use this".

Oh and the music kicks all the ass.  ALL the ass.
  • edited 2017-03-15 05:48:22
    Bee said:

Beating my head against La-Mulana.  I tried this before on my poor Lappy 486 but the slowdown was just too much.  With a decent desktop I'm doing...okay, if painstakingly.  I had a lot of trouble with Sakit, but blew away Ellmac in one go, which I gather is unusual watching videos of them after the fact.  It took me WAAAAY too long to find the pendant for the fairies, and presumably there's an axe that's been available since forever ago.  Also I took out Zu and got an achievement for doing it without using the Lamp of Time, which...I guess that means there's a Lamp of Time or something lol.

Is the Image Scanner only used in extremely obvious places?  I tried using it on the giant fucking mural in Chamber of Extinction but it said no dice, so if it didn't work on that then I'm not sure wtf it's for unless I'm supposed to take a selfie and scan my face for ancient writing some asshole skeleton priest doodled on it after a curry nap.  I don't want to consult a guide, but I'm willing to take an answer of "yes/no you will/won't know when to use this".

Oh and the music kicks all the ass.  ALL the ass.
    I wonder what the La-Mulana Checker would return if you ran it on your Lappy 486.

Also which version are you playing?
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    i should figure out streaming and stream my return to iji
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Yes.
  • Steam version.
    Darkest Dungeon is fun

I realize this is old news
  • You know what game I've been playing a lot of recently?

Tales of Zestiria.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Tales of Zestpoole.
    Toolsie said:

You know what game I've been playing a lot of recently?

Tales of Zestiria.

I watched the first cour of the anime for that. Was decently fun, ended up taking ToZtX S2 off of my priority list though.
  • edited 2017-03-15 18:34:33
    I started watching Chain Chronicle which is a currently running show so I guess my unwritten but largely pointless "rule" of not watching currently-running shows is off the table now so I could pick up Zestiria second season to watch since I've watched Zestiria first season and I liked it.

But I'm not in the mood to watch anything at the moment.  Maybe later.

Incidentally Chain Chronicle is also based on a game lol
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-03-16 03:22:53
    So I finally sat down and read the La-Mulana manual.  Other than being in hilarious Engrish, it explicitly lets you in on probably the dirtiest secret of the game, which kind of blew my mind.

Every zone inside the ruins can be described as a looping 4x5 grid.  Not just for the sake of the usual memory efficiency, but because that's actually how all the secret passages connect to each other, and if you see gaps in that looping grid it's a secret room.

The moment I read that and checked the maps I had, I immediately found the axe and the third secret room in the Moonlight Temple, realized the quick and easy way of finding the Isis pendant that took me so long to get, and why the side path in Chamber of Extinction is so weird on the map and that it presumably has an entire hidden floor.  RTFM indeed.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    So I'm watching the Talking Simulator LP of Oxenfree, and wow, this game is so very me. It's funny, and deeply creepy, and heartbreaking, and I seriously need to play it.
  • ^^ moar liek LA-MANUAL amirite??? :-DDDD

So I'm watching the Talking Simulator LP of Oxenfree, and wow, this game is so very me. It's funny, and deeply creepy, and heartbreaking, and I seriously need to play it.

I watched I think 20% of that before stopping because I wanted to play it myself, but I extremely appreciated how it crafted the environments and atmosphere into this quietly quirky mystery of some grand weirdness, or such. I'd like to see another game like it, and in retrospect I feel like I should have talked about it more in the past? Except I was probably busy just mulling over it when I did briefly watch and talk about it.
  • my best friend likes it a lot, in no small part because the protagonist is pretty close to them in terms of appearance and they love spoopy stuff with feels