General Video Game Thread

Comments

• I mean if you're offerin' that sounds like something I'd play
  • Got someone else who responded first but I'm going to make sure they get that they'll need to use it within this week, i.e. buying the game at $8.49 most likely.  You're next if they decline.
  • oh, I don't have the money, I thought you were giving the game away and not just the coupon.
  • edited 2017-02-21 06:07:35
    Ah.  Well, it was claimed anyway.

----

For a surreal surprise (at least, until they fix this):

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=193125996

This is a game's Steam Greenlight page.  (For anyone not familiar with that, that's a thing where users can upvote a game that devs put there to try to get it into the Steam store.)

This game has been greenlit, and as such, it has a link to its store page.  Click that link.
  • Jane said:

what the heck

you have as much idea of a proper explanation as i do

i.e. none
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-02-24 22:27:24
    ROFL.  Sneasel just one-rounded a postgame legendary boss with almost 2000 HP.  She didn't even have a type advantage.

For reference, in this game allies in the postgame have about 100 HP, and your own attacks rarely break 300 if you're buffed out and have a type advantage.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Odradek said:

Hey so people might have missed it because it was marketed as "cutesy game with a DARK SECRET" which is a dime a dozen these days, but Pony Island is a good game. It's actually a horror comedy with a lot of fun meta-jokes about gaming in which the central conceit is the devil is a terrible programmer. I don't want to spoil it but it's like five bucks on Steam.

Tamlin said:
    So, yeah, things on my list.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Likewise.
  • more stuff for my backlog :v
  • edited 2017-02-28 20:57:12
    Better strategy for playing Poppo, especially in the case of a small map with lots of attackers:

1. Focus on accumulating your hyper.  Don't try to take a lead early in the game; choose draw panels over bonus panels.
    2. Don't fret too much over getting beaten up in early game.  You can't match anyone in wins anyway.  It can help to bring some defense cards, like Shield and R-bits, when others try to mug you.
    3. Even after getting beaten up several times, by mid-game you should have enough stars to get to level 3 (all you need is 30 stars).
    4. Your hyper steals more stars the higher the target's level is, so naturally you don't want to be ahead.
    5. Once you've accumulated a hand of hypers (and hypers are MORE important than defense and healing cards), hang onto them until the time is right.
    6. Use your hypers when an opponent is within a few spaces of your home panel and your stealing from them would let you win (or if you already have enough stars to win), OR when someone is threatening a win and you need to stop them ASAP (in which case you probably won't win anyway but at least you can prolong the game and give yourself a bit more chance).
    7. If you have hypers on hand, don't be afraid to go far, far away from your home panel, in order to avoid chasers, boss panels, etc..

Remember, you are a piñata full of stars, whose only saving graces are that you (1) can probably take one hit without not going down (and losing half your stars), (2) if you have enough stars, and you have your hyper, and other people are in the right place, you can basically level up AT WILL, by teleporting to them, stealing their stars, and going home.

Bad events for you:

Weaknesses:
    * Scrambled Eve (everyone deals their hand back into the deck, which is reshuffled) -- you lose your hypers
    * Mimic, used by someone else -- means they can teleport to YOU and steal YOUR stars at will
    * Gift Exchange -- lose your hypers and someone gets them
    * traps that make you lose cards
    * Confusion, but not really, actually, because either you have a hyper or you have a card you can probably afford to ignore.  But maybe sometimes you'll run into a situation where you have to use your hyper and need to pick it out from other cards...
  • Torment: Tides of Not-Planescape came out today

in case anyone was interested
  • edited 2017-02-28 21:01:51
    8. If you feel you have time, based on how far along your opponents are, you may want to wait on using your hyper until you have enough stars to chain hyper several turns in a row to level up multiple turns in a row.

To win you need 200 stars, so assuming that your opponents are at level 5, you need at least 150 stars before you hyper.
    To get to level 5, you need 120 stars, so assuming that your opponents are at level 5, you need at least 70 stars before you hyper.
    To get to level 4, you need 70 stars, so assuming that your opponents are at level 4, you need just 30 stars.

So if you're at level 3 and your opponents are at level 5, and you have three hypers, one workable idea is to have 50 stars.  Hyper once to get 50 stars, for a total of 100, and level up to 4 (need 70).  Hyper a second time to get 50 stars, for a total of 150, and level up to 5 (need 120).  Hyper a third time to get 50 stars, for a total of 200, to win the game.

Poppo's hyper is just that powerful.

Poppo without her hyper, meanwhile, is a little sack of stars that everyone can slap and most people can get away with slapping because all of Poppo's stats are -1.

Actually, even with her hyper, Poppo is still a little sack of stars that everyone can afford to slap, because her hyper gives her absolutely no advantages in battle.  So Poppo is ALWAYS a little easily-slappable sack of stars.
  • Tamlin said:

Torment: Tides of Not-Planescape came out today

in case anyone was interested

Oh yeah I saw a big ad for that on GOG!
  • OneShot made me sad all over again

like, why this little kid, out of all people, gotta be the one chosen for this dilemma

I do wonder what that door with the timer is gonna lead, and if the multiverse concept is gonna be expanded from that
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Momodora III, like Undertale, refuses to accept that my controller has an up button

I blame Reagan
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-03-04 21:04:06
    I saw Q.U.B.E. Director's Cut appear on my Steam list and decided to give it a spin because I haven't played the original in a few years.

Apparently they got Rob Yescombe to write a story on top of it where none previously existed, so now you get Portal-style voiceover during the moodier tunnels and elevator rides.  It's cheesy as hell and doesn't entirely make sense (it goes a bit out of its way to poke holes in itself that are never resolved), but ends with a note the genre doesn't usually go with.  It spends the whole game playing up that your mission control is a lying GLADOS style SCIENCE conspiracy. Spoiler:  But then at the end it turns out they're not, the guy telling you they were is a paranoid astronaut who went crazy after being stranded in deep space on automatic life support for 10 years and was desperate to preserve his only human contact since, and once you're out, the government vows to mount a proper rescue mission for the other guy now that they know he's alive and where he is.  The moral is that not everything is out to kill you, trusting people is actually kinda normal, people are generally good if easily frightened, and long-term isolation is a Very Bad Thing.
  • I mean I can see being really meh about it, but I'm not sure what would inspire outright hate.  Other than the DLC achievements I mean, those are 100% hateable.
  • I rarely come away from a game feeling like I've wasted my time but that was exactly the feeling QUBE put in me.

The puzzles were just so mind-bogglingly tedious.

The fucking thing where you have to line up cubes in a box using nothing but the magnet buttons on the walls I think is where I gave up.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-03-05 06:25:05
    That was literally the second to last puzzle in the game.  You get an achievement for it specifically because the devs considered it the hardest one :P

I think they cut out at least one of the magnet-in-a-box puzzles.  I remember one with four glass cubes, several red extruders along the walls, and you had to line up the glass with floor extruders to raise them up into the beams.  But in Director's Cut it never happened.
  • I was literally stuck on it for like two hours and I eventually got so frustrated that I turned off my PlayStation and took a walk around the trailer park.

Maybe I'll finish it someday, but, not any time soon.

And I dispute that it was hard. Hard would imply that figuring out the solution was difficult. It wasn't hard, just terrible and tedious.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-03-05 06:20:03
    The smaller cubes magnetize twice as fast as the big ones.  You're supposed to push the big ones up against the wall with the two red extruders, push the little ones against their front ends toward the middle of the room, line them all up sideways against the extruders (one big and one small each), then just magnetize them all forward in one stroke.  I don't think it took anywhere near two hours.
  • I mean that includes the occasional stopping and wandering around in game / getting up to get water / blah blah but it still took longer than it should have.

Anyway I really have no desire to finish the game now. 
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-03-05 07:05:58
    Eh.  I pretty much live on puzzle games, so yeah I just have a lot of patience for beating my head against stuff like that.
  • I like puzzle games too, I just don't like em that much.
  • I learned to avoid puzzle games because I suck at them...
  • Thought: It's odd that there hasn't been a single truly great Lord of the Rings game.

The original books- obviously- *made* the modern fantasy genre, and the movies massively influenced the fantasy aesthetic in all visual mediums (especially in games)

Yet no Lord of the Rings game has come anywhere near that level of influence.
  • edited 2017-03-05 15:59:54
    Another thought: A faithful adaptation of any of Tolkien's work would resemble The Oregon Trail. Most games went for some combination of action-adventure-RPG, and that doesn't actually fit his work at *all.* Vast swathes of his stories are occupied by the mundane concerns of getting food and shelter on the road, and I'd much prefer to see that represented. Not that combat wouldn't be present, but it should be downplayed.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    There was one PC-ass 90s LOTR game where getting into combat was always at best a necessary evil and at worst a horrible danger and waste of resources
  • Eh. I liked the Twin Towers on Gamecube. Necessary evil or not, it was fun.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Lego Lord of the Rings was Good, Actually.
  • You're not going to get a modern game that defines genres for years to come.  There's just too much of an experience pool to be concentrated that much in any direction anymore.

Even just good LOTR games like Lego and Shadow of Mordor are painfully difficult to come by though.  Two Towers was okay.  Most of the rest of them are hilaribad.
  • I mean, the films were only less than twenty years ago and they had an immediate impact
  • edited 2017-03-05 23:48:14
    Wasn't there a half-decent LotR game on a semi-recent console like GC, PS2, Wii, or PS3?  One where you don't play as the main characters of the legend, but as some other characters, and also apparently a JRPG or something odd like that.
  • Honestly if a game I like doesn't have an impact, so what?
  • Wasn't there a half-decent LotR game on a semi-recent console like GC, PS2, Wii, or PS3?  One where you don't play as the main characters of the legend, but as some other characters, and also apparently a JRPG or something odd like that.

The Third Age. Battle system kinda cribbed off Final Fantasy X.
  • TitleName said:

Honestly if a game I like doesn't have an impact, so what?

In that case it had an impact for you, and that's all that really matters, from a consumer's perspective.
  • Let me rephrase that: a big impact on culture or such.
  • I mean, it's not a huge bad thing or anything. It was just something I noticed
  • TitleName said:

Let me rephrase that: a big impact on culture or such.

Yeah, I got that meaning.
    Just because something had a big impact in one medium, or even two, doesn't mean it's gonna revolutionize every medium.

By that logic, the Super Mario Bros. movie should've been huge
  • Well that is visibly the case, as I said.

But LotR has had a profound influence on vast swathes of gaming despite never having a particularly great or important game.

Actually, Alien is the same way come to think of it.
  • Mario is a really lame comparison actually
    how's that
    actually, I feel like part of the problem is that, by the time anybody seriously tried to make LotR games, the concept of "fantasy adventure" in gaming was already fairly advanced - Zelda, etc.
  • Zelda, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Wizardry, Ultima, Ys, Dragon Slayer, ...
  • how's that

Games weren't really taken seriously at the time. A Mario movie might as well have been an adaptation of a toy line.

Games are taken seriously now?