General Video Game Thread

Comments

• Wonderputt is legitimately the most charming thing on the internet, and you should set aside an hour or so to play through it if you have the chance sometime.
  • edited 2017-02-02 18:11:33
    kill living beings
    fuck yeah got an albatross on the snowfield

and on the ice one. fite me
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-02-04 07:41:16
    Going back to finish up the Super Mystery Dungeon postgame, which is kind of unusual in PMD games in that it actually has a fairly certain endpoint.

Good God the Water Looplet is broken.  It effectively lets you double all of your stat boosts and supplies.  I was going through a 30 floor dungeon, spread my hunger between Totodile and Sneasel until they were both on the brink of starvation, then had Fennekin throw a Big Apple through them to top them both off (hilariously it also hit a Forretress somewhere on the other end of the dungeon).  Also it lets you throw Iron Spikes through entire monster houses, and they still get buffed by Swords Dance.

Also Zygarde cockteased me.  I got to the stairs right before him, popped two Awakening Emera and HP-max berries, and then the fucker didn't even want to fight me.  "Thanks for saving the planet LOL"  Yeah fuck off dude, guess who's getting benched forever.

I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to bring down Reshiram and Zekrom.  Those fuckers are just way too powerful -- they were each nuking the whole arena for over 200 damage.  Best thing I can think of is leading with Mud Sport + Water Sport + Light Screen, but even at a quarter damage each they can still one-round the whole party.  That or spam Memento, which is a pretty uniquely PMD strategy.
  • > Le Gyarados springs a Monster House on me.
    > All water types
    > Party leader is Electrode with 2x Power Boost Y, Additional Action, and Discharge
    > 4x nukes the entire room to death in a single turn

• Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I am admittedly not personally familiar with FFV, but the handheld titles have always been very interesting to me even if I haven't played them, so thanks. What I read from the Wikipedia page sounds neat, so I'll try it out (though I don't know when), and read up some more.
  • edited 2017-02-05 07:26:15
    the story seems neat.  i've played the beginning of it.  filena is a girl in the slave caste who was raised "as a boy" (or something like that, i forget the exact phrasing) and taught to fight in the hope that she might be able to fight her way out of it.  on the eve of her first arena match she gets assigned a prostitute who is surprised to discover that she's not male and then also agrees to be her "wife".

i dunno where it goes after this.  i'm curious to find out more.

i figured the two of you might be interested in it.  fossilmaiden's posts about the utena vn being really really gay reminded me of it.
  • I liked FFV.  It wasn't without its drama, but was generally a lot more lighthearted than the series usually runs.
  • edited 2017-02-05 07:31:06
    i still feel that exdeath is a very effective villain from the fact that he demonstrates his power in actual battle rather than only in cutscenes.  doesn't just mysteriously fuck shit up and leave.  doesn't just vaguely threaten you.  doesn't just hold someone hostage.  he does villain stuff, yes, but he also actually fights you directly and kicks your rear end in.  and does this multiple times, if you aren't prepared and count retries.

i wanna see more games that do this.

note: by "see more games" i don't mean "the industry isn't doing enough of this right now so they should change", i literally mean "i would like to see more games by playing and experiencing them".
  • I like those battles, sometimes. Numbers are scarier than cutscenes. When you see him deal 3,000 in a single hit while 200 is still a big number for you and your highest HP is 700, you go "holy mother fuckin crap I could'nt even survive that"

It's good.
    ^^ What are your thoughts on Golbez?
  • Crystal said:

^^ What are your thoughts on Golbez?

threatening theme song, meh as an actual villain though.  you do get to beat him up once and it's not even that hard (at least in ff2us) but then he just sorta escapes because diabolus ex machina.  lolwut

that's like, ff4 plot in a nutshell though.  novel and interesting but not particularly satisfying.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-02-05 07:38:01
    Yeah like the first time you fight Golbez he nukes the party down to 1 HP, then plot happens and you fight him normally a few seconds later and he's kind of a wuss.
  • edited 2017-02-05 07:40:09
    Viani said:

I like those battles, sometimes. Numbers are scarier than cutscenes. When you see him deal 3,000 in a single hit while 200 is still a big number for you and your highest HP is 700, you go "holy mother fuckin crap I could'nt even survive that"

It's good.
    ff5 actually combines both at that one climax point (i presume people who've played the game will know what i'm talking about).

exdeath uses cutscene power to defeat your party, and then you enter battle with him ANYWAY, and THEN he deals huge buttloads of damage in a display of "this is the gory details of that cutscene you just witnessed!".

also helps that his battle theme is really intense and dramatic.

and of course, even in the final battle against him, he is still quite difficult.  he's armed with some nasty, nasty shit.  like White Hole (instant death + petrify).

when you fight him, you feel like you are mortals facing a god in battle.

golbez has nothing on this guy.
    Hm, fair.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-02-05 07:41:54
    Yeah it helps that Exdeath is actually the final boss too.  Golbez is like "I'm so evil I kind of bowed out at the end.  Here, have this other asshole."

If you're going to bait and switch the lead villain, at least make it epic and memorable like Kefka.
  • Viani said:

FFXII, Gabranth had the most personal ties to the characters (he killed people closest to the mains, and actually framed one of them) but ultimately the Big Bad Emperor who did barely anything became the final boss. Kinda sucked.

aww, and i kinda wanted to play that game
  • The story's OK, just think of Basch as the MC, not Vaan (don't know why they made the switch, I guess to appeal to younger teens)

It's Star Wars except the dashing rogue is Balthier, and his Chewbacca is a sexy rabbit girl named Fran in a leather stiletto stocking-boot lingerie-BDSM outfit.

Get the International Version though. I got the normal reg version, and when you dived into getting legendary weapons it MAJORLY screws you badly. Look up the Zodiac Spear Guide, Excalibur and Tournesol Guide if you plan on getting this game and getting those weapons, because I lost 169 hours of my life doing it incorrectly. and had to start a new game.
  • i have a feeling i would like not give a fuck about ultimate weapons if i happened to play through the game and screw up ways of getting them

do they have anything to them other than simply being ultimate weapons?
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-02-05 07:58:52
    Oof, the stupid Zodiac Spear.  Who the hell even figured that out first?  It sure wasn't signaled to you what screws you out of it.

"Let's put in a weapon at the very end of this 100+ hour game, but it only appears if you haven't opened any of sixteen completely fucking arbitrary chests throughout."
  • i have a feeling i would like not give a fuck about ultimate weapons if i happened to play through the game and screw up ways of getting them

do they have anything to them other than simply being ultimate weapons?

Like all Final Fantasy ultimate weapons, their numbers are just better, that's about it. They have 150 instead of 100.
  • Bee said:

Oof, the stupid Zodiac Spear.  Who the hell even figured that out first?  It sure wasn't signaled to you what screws you out of it.

"Let's put in a weapon at the very end of this 100+ hour game, but it only appears if you haven't opened any of sixteen completely fucking arbitrary chests throughout."
    Another sufferer of the Zodiac Screwjob! My condolences to you.

Have you wandered for hours in the feeble attempt to open the Ascetic's Door?
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Bee said:

If you're going to bait and switch the lead villain, at least make it epic and memorable like Kefka.

Let's be honest here, did anyone really think Gestahl was the main villain?
  • edited 2017-02-05 19:11:11
    Transient.
    I did. Then again, I was like 11 at the time.

Edit: Then again I was like 20 when FFX came out and I still couldn't figure out the big obvious spoiler, so age probably wouldn't have made a difference. I'm terrible at these things.

Edit edit: Duh, I meant 'I did'.
  • Bee said:

Let's be honest here, did anyone really think Gestahl was the main villain?
    I was six, so yeah.
  • I was spoiled before I started but I might have if I weren't.
    I was like, 9, so.
  • edited 2017-02-06 02:49:49
    Crystal said:
    oh hey i wonder if the steam forums are lighting up with this; if so i should zing some people

edit: huh, what do you know, no such people on the main steam forums.  though i did happen to run across a crazy anti-censorship crusader on the Atelier Sophie forum.  he/she is getting mad at another user for stating that whether a game is censored doesn't affect their personal enjoyment...despite the fact that they actually reported a lot more useful information regarding content changes than other people did!
  • whats this about
  • kill living beings
    va-11 hall-a
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Hey so people might have missed it because it was marketed as "cutesy game with a DARK SECRET" which is a dime a dozen these days, but Pony Island is a good game. It's actually a horror comedy with a lot of fun meta-jokes about gaming in which the central conceit is the devil is a terrible programmer. I don't want to spoil it but it's like five bucks on Steam.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-02-11 07:12:52
    Reshiram and Zekrom down.  Dear GOD.  Had to pull out all the stops to do it, because they can each bombard most of the arena for ~200 fire, electric, or dragon damage.  For a sense of scale, most allies will top out at 100 HP after boosting themselves with berries.

Winning team:
    Gastrodon, 1.5x HP unique looplet
    Gastrodon, 1.5x Sp.Def unique looplet
    Gardevoir, 1.5x Def/Sp.Def unique looplet

Turn one was to lead off with Mud Sport, Rain Dance, and Misty Terrain to halve all three AOE types.  Between the Gastrodons being water/ground and Gardevoir's boosted defenses, all three of them could reliably survive a solid hit from either dragon, and the Gastrodons were completely immune to Zekrom's worst attacks.

Pounce Wand to close in on Reshiram, and then Alliance spam to spread out and rotate people around him.  Alliance will always have your allies flank at 90 degree angles to the initiator, and against a large opponent it keeps more than one person from getting hit by a 3x3.  Zekrom was forced to waste several turns moving around Reshiram to flank anyone, and starting another Alliance from the right person would rotate everyone away from him again when he got close.  The HP looplet pushed one Gastrodon to 150 HP, so when he had to be close, I tried to rotate in that one.

Disarming the dragons during this setup is your first priority.  Blue Flare and Bolt Strike just hit way too hard and too widely, so Ban Seed them.  They'll fall back on Fusion Flare/Bolt, but they only get 5 shots, and Alliance keeps anyone from being adjacent to get hit simultaneously.  After that, they only have Dragon Breath, Crunch, and Extrasensory, which are only mildly terrifying.

Once you have Reshiram between you and Zekrom, start buffing.  Keeping the Gastrodons alive is the key, because they have to basically max out Sp. Atk buffs to do appreciable damage, and you can't afford to have to reapply six stages of it if either of them die.  Harden during the rotation setup helps the Gastrodons tough out the occasional Crunch from Zekrom a bit easier.  Gardevoir should be hitting Helping Hand when possible, and Healing Wish if necessary (dropping to 1 HP isn't really that big a deal when you expect her to get flattened every turn anyway).  Careful manipulation of the AI's use of berries is key.  If someone's in the red, you get prompts for all CPU allies to feed them a berry, but if they're injured but blue, they have to be healed manually.

Fun fact: Gardevoir will never cast Healing Wish as a CPU, even if you disable all her other moves and her allies are both in the red.  You have to do it manually, either directly or in an Alliance.  She will do Helping Hand by herself though, so on a turn where the Gastrodons are fine or one of them will be prompted to eat a berry, you can switch over to the other and use an All-Power Orb to speed up the buff spam.

From there, it's just about keeping them and their buffs alive while they Mud Bomb and Water Pulse Reshiram to death. By the time Reshiram goes down, Zekrom is out of Fusion Bolt.  It's entirely unnecessary but quite satisfying at this point if you have another Ban Seed -- you can ban Dragon Breath, then Harden and use the Gastrodons as a wall so you can freely use Healing Wish and throw Silver Thorns from a distance.

If Gardevoir had access to Light Screen in this game (I didn't see it on her remember/train lists or my TMs), it actually would've been quite easy once I remembered about the Gastrodons.  Halving all the damage a second time (third, counting the Gastrodons' resists) would've made it surprisingly survivable for as hideously overkill as it starts out.  I tried Wide Guard, but it didn't seem to work on most of their attacks.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-02-12 08:54:23
    Path of Fallen Leaves down.  It's a monster of a postgame dungeon -- 42 floors, and every one of them is about 3x as big as they usually come, with plenty of winding passages that go jack fucking nowhere.  It's not only possible but likely to spend a good third of your hunger on any given floor.  Also full of PP-Zero traps and Skuntank that instantly bottom out your entire party's offense with Memento.  Hope you like randomly losing moves or doing single-digit damage against triple-digit enemies at a moment's notice!

Water Looplet thankfully blunts this by extending all supplies to go twice as long.  Grass Looplet is non-optional or you'll get worn down hard by traps.  Gardevoir earned a solid place on my A-team -- her damage is shit (which surprised me after my RSE experience), but a dedicated healer and buffbot is surprisingly good in this game with the right moveset, and stuff hits hard enough that you need to top yourself off fast after a scuffle.
  • I find it amusingly fitting that your commander in the (freemium) Fire Emblem mobile game is Anna.
    I still want to know why they force Virion on you.

I still want to know why they force Virion on you.

• BeeBee
    edited 2017-02-16 03:09:17
    As far as I can tell you only have to put up with him for the introductory mission.  You get Jackass Mage for free and he's way better anyway.
  • but they could've given you someone cooler than virion for that

i.e. miriel
  • Why can I not reorganize my starting position

It keeps automatically putting my mage right up front
  • friggen

why does the first paralogue bring up Ephraim/Eirika

why are you humoring that nintendo
    It's a solid bundle.
  • edited 2017-02-21 01:37:21
    I just got a -15% Steam coupon for Rosenkreuzstilette.  It is good until February 27, so, for about a week.  The game is a relatively famous doujin platformer that's basically Mega Man but with anime girls and some Castlevania elements.  Anyone want it?