General Video Game Thread

Comments

• My go-to for gorgeous Wii games would be Super Mario Galaxies 1 and 2.

Also, Rosalina deserves her own standalone game.
  • edited 2016-05-16 22:43:31
    Better question is whether I should go posting that in some other gaming-related forum, because I DO genuinely hold that opinion (that the Wii's graphical capabilities are respectable) and I also know that it is one that will be seen as flamebait.

On one hand, pushback against graphics nuts, since I don't much like their position.

On the other hand, known flamebait.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Well, I'm the type who finds 16-bit era graphics quite fine, so by my standards Wii graphics are way overkill and I have no idea why anybody'd complain.
  • As long as I can see what I'm doing, everything else is gravy.  I seriously don't get all the rage that happens when a game doesn't hit 60 FPS, or when douchebags zoom in more than anyone would in normal play and try to texture-shame.
  • Bee said:

As long as I can see what I'm doing, everything else is gravy.  I seriously don't get all the rage that happens when a game doesn't hit 60 FPS, or when douchebags zoom in more than anyone would in normal play and try to texture-shame.

this was the entirety of Dark Souls 2.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I said 60 FPS looked weird once and someone immediately burst in with ACTUALLY IF YOU KNEW HOW SHIT WORKED YOU'D WONDER HOW YOU EVER LIVED WITHOUT IT!!!!
    "texture-shame," now that's a new one to me.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-05-17 02:08:16
    I mean I can see being anal about framerate in an FPS where the difference between 30 and 60 is a direct loss of accuracy.  But still.  It just looks creepy everywhere else.
  • edited 2016-05-17 04:03:01
    i think i have a slight preference for 60fps but i have no inherent objection to 30fps.

i also don't play FPS games much.

someone once criticized my position for basically being complicit in game companies being able to get away with publishing substandard work and not pushing the boundaries of gaming.
  • that person is fucking stupid because that's not how that works

if you want to protest a company's decisions you don't buy their product. You don't buy it and then kvetch about it expecting to be heard.
  • He meant "the fact that you're not objecting to 30 fps in games".
  • Nevermind the fact that the push for photorealistic perfection is probably the second most damaging force in the entire industry.  A couple studios can do it really well, but for the most part all it does is bloat work loads, teams, projects, and budgets -- which increases reliance on abusive publishers.
  • To be fair to that person, that person does play mostly FPS games (and TPS with close camera).
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-05-17 06:13:50
    I mean even then I only have so much sympathy.  I was raised on Goldeneye / Perfect Dark, which made you aim with digital C buttons and would occasionally tank the framerate to 5-6 or worse.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    And I'm used to the 320x200 glory of old-school Doom. It's like, if you want whst is essentially a modern version of Space Ace or Dragon's Lair (all canned FMV footage, quick time events and decision points), you know where to find them.
    Time Gal FTW
  • edited 2016-05-17 19:46:06
    I think I know why I'm okay with 30fps.

Sprite animations are usually less than 60fps. Even when they are animated as 60 fps moving around. The poses themselves may only change once every two frames, for example.

My brain is used to interpreting these as fluid motion. So that's why I'm okay with it.
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    Bee said:

Nevermind the fact that the push for photorealistic perfection is probably the second most damaging force in the entire industry.  A couple studios can do it really well, but for the most part all it does is bloat work loads, teams, projects, and budgets -- which increases reliance on abusive publishers.

I don't really like photorealistic games much. More abstract art tends to appeal to me over photorealism. 

It's cool and all that you can make a person look like a real life person, but you know what's cooler? Art that's not purely an imitation of real life. All of my favorite games tend to focus more on aesthetic than on photorealism, and this is not a coincidence. 

It's great that some games push the envelope where graphics are concerned, so to speak, and I think it's good that we have a few to drive innovation in terms of game engines and graphics programs and such. I don't like that it's a trend across the industry, however. I'd rather just have one or two a year that focus on that. 
    why should games be photorealistic? We already have real life for that!
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-05-18 00:55:18
    It's a good goal to have depending on what you're going for.  I wouldn't have Uncharted any other way, for instance.  But it has a really nasty way of devouring development resources if you're not really careful.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Guys! I beat Mega Satan as the Keeper!
    maybe, but Mega Satan is still a great name!
  • So I just realized the problem with barrel rolling to deflect lasers in Star Fox...the lasers all bounced off, but I rolled into a wall and died.
  • Does the new Star Fox let you barrel roll in place like the others?
  • Barrel-rolling is done with the second stick now, so it probably does let you roll in place but I'm not coordinated enough to not move the first stick in the same direction
    Jane said:

dang

Even though it doesn't take away from my victories much, it's worth noting this Mega Satan victory was basically a great run, and my Cathedral victory was OP.

I actually find the Keeper to be something resembling fun with the Wooden Nickel.
    Crystal said:

Guys! I beat Mega Satan as the Keeper!

And now Greed Mode!
    That leaves Boss Rush, Hush, and a few remaining challenges, like frigging Guardian and SPEED!.
  • edited 2016-05-18 18:33:14
    I like video games.

But I don't demand more out of them in terms of narrative and expressions and such.

I think it's out of personal taste and complicity here.
  • edited 2016-05-20 18:47:57
    http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/0/364042262873563699/

Sure, the OP dun goofed.

But the fact that you need to be in a specific Steam group just to get some of the content?

Well, fuck Payday 2.  I wasn't exactly interested in it in the first place but this just tells me to stay the hell away from it and warn others about it.
  • Yeah that's pretty crap.  Especially since I've seen people get banned for far lesser things than what's essentially a cosmetic client-side mod that nobody would have even noticed or given a damn about if he didn't tell them.
    I wish more of the curses in BoI were actually a boost to challenge or interesting (Blind, Labyrinth), instead of tedious (especially looking at you, Maze).
    Likewise, I hope some of the challenges are actually fun or challenging or interesting. Or at least, less dumb ones. I can stand harsh but good challenges.

Speaking of, I finally beat Onan's Streak, after three tries (first times I died on Womb 1, and then on Womb 2)! I like it.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-05-20 21:28:24
    I hate playing as Cia.  Just about everything she does, including basic attack animations, dodging, and all of her dialogue voice snippets, trigger the same three annoying laughs, and they're played so close together that they cut each other off.  Remind you of anyone?

Earthworm Jim 2 has the best end-of-level screen ever.
  • I recently discovered that OpenEmu takes the Wii U Pro as a controller, so I've been rediscovering some Genesis classics. 

I still love both the idea and the gameplay of Rocket Knight Adventures.
    RKA is a good one, although I find myself losing interest maybe halfway through, not sure why.
  • Earthworm Jim 2 has the best end-of-level screen ever.

is that the one with the strange fatherly surfer cow
    there are two cows standing there, one says "well done" and the other smiles.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-05-20 22:12:20
    Okay yeah.

Earthworm Jim is the sort of thing that makes me hope that if we ever meet sapient aliens, they aren't cows.  Because we'd have a lot of awkward explaining to do.  "Yeah, so a couple religions think you're sacred, most of the rest of us think you're tasty, and then there's this thing..."
    sez you.

I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of our new bovine overlords
    And I've unlocked Mega Blast!

Spooky's Jump Scare Mansion!
    And I've finally beaten the SPEED! challenge, thank goodness, now the (arguably) hardest challenge is out of the way!
  • Apparently this is a thing.

• oh shit replaying DOOM again

fuck I need to learn how 2 barrels
    don't shoot 'em when you're standing right next to them. <-- pro strategy
    Never again.
    (What you don't see is a based 1 Up! that I found early on.)
  • Sometimes I actually kinda want to try out some more FPS games.

But my body disagrees with that, literally making me feel sick when I play them.