Book book book

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Frosty said:

To Kill a Mockingbird
    racist
    ...?
    Ask Boney about it; she linked an article a while back about it and apparently agreed with it.
  • i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind
    Frosty said:

Was the prose too dense? Pynchon definitely, um, takes a little bit of getting used to. ^_^

that seems like a word that is good to describe it

which is a shame, i liked the way the plot was going (i think?)
  • So do I. I thought it was really good.
  • I frankly think you'd have to almost deliberately miss the point of To Kill a Mockingbird to call it racist.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Boney is a she?

To Kill A Mockingbird is about as racist as a certain friend of mine, which is to say, not any.
  • I guess? I dunno, it was kind of out of the blue for me too.
  • edited 2012-09-25 07:15:02
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Finished The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie the other day.

Reading If on a winter's night a traveller now.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Good book. Tell me what your favorite story beginning was when you finish.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I am reading The Croning by Laird Barron. From what I can tell, it's a series of loosely connected stories about a leech-god and it's cultists and their dealings with various people throughout history. The author is a one-eyed Alaskan man who has raced in the Iditarod which, for some reason, strikes me as a more appropriate background for a Cosmic Horror writer than the standard introverted personality.
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.

I frankly think you'd have to almost deliberately miss the point of To Kill a Mockingbird to call it racist.

Nowadays it seems that people are so desperate to point out racism that I'd suppose the inclusion of the word "nigger" in these two books (even though they are representative of the time they were first published in) is enough for them to get up in arms about it.  This goes somewhat along with what I mentioned earlier in this thread about how "Uncle Tom" is an epithet for a black person who kowtows to white authority even though in the novel, Uncle Tom was of no such character and him standing up to a white slave owner was what got him killed at the end. 
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Re-reading Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell .
    I started that a very long time ago, but have yet to finish it. I really liked it, though; it's very... Georgian.

Also, why is it that I'm always quoting your posts pages back...?
  • Because my posts are so response-worthy. :P
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Still Reading Three Kingdoms. Lots of dudes getting all kinda skewered with ancient China weaponry. 

Still reading the Qu'ran.

Reading the Catholic books of the Bible, currently.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    ^racist

So, I finished Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said which was satisfyingly mind-screwy.

Next up is Fahrenheit 451, I hope it doesn't make me cry
  • Fahrenheit 451 came off as a little too heavy-handed for me. Ray Bradbury is a good author, but I don't like the morals of his stories usually.
  • The sadness will last forever.
    Reading Trainspotting and A Clockwork Orange. They're pretty interesting.
  • Kexruct said:

Fahrenheit 451 came off as a little too heavy-handed for me. Ray Bradbury is a good author, but I don't like the morals of his stories usually.

He was really pushing the "television is eeeeeeeevil" thing.
  • edited 2012-10-02 07:49:11
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Actually Bradbury was pretty anti-TV because....well it was TV. I don't think he's ever been too clear on his reasons.

Of course most people just think it's about censorship anyway, so it's debatable whether or not that even matters.

If he's anti-TV...well, he'll just be preaching to the choir in my case.
  • Frosty said:

I have the impression that he dislikes television, but Farenheit 451, I think, illustrates why, a little bit: its general insipidness and how it makes people stupid and isolates them, distracting everyone from reality (for example, Montag's wife is more concerned with the goings-on of a fictional family than she is with the goings-on of her husband or neighbors). This book was written even before cell phones and the internet and video games and such, which similarly distract people (though TV is still the worst among them in my opinion, for being a one-sided barrage of advertisements and manufactured mass culture). It is a book that stresses the importance of not allowing literature and thinking to be drowned out by a flood of sensationalized media, as well as the dangers of book-burning. Perhaps it is a little heavy-handed, but I think its themes are relevant.

Never said it wasn't relevant, it was a good book, but the heavy handedness made it more difficult to enjoy. That, and from what I've heard, Bradbury wasn't the nicest person either.
  • edited 2012-10-02 17:03:16
  • From what I've heard. As for what I've seen, it seemed that way too, but I haven't seen much.
  • Frosty said:

I have the impression that he dislikes television, but Farenheit 451, I think, illustrates why, a little bit: its general insipidness and how it makes people stupid and isolates them, distracting everyone from reality (for example, Montag's wife is more concerned with the goings-on of a fictional family than she is with the goings-on of her husband or neighbors). This book was written even before cell phones and the internet and video games and such, which similarly distract people (though TV is still the worst among them in my opinion, for being a one-sided barrage of advertisements and manufactured mass culture). It is a book that stresses the importance of not allowing literature and thinking to be drowned out by a flood of sensationalized media, as well as the dangers of book-burning. Perhaps it is a little heavy-handed, but I think its themes are relevant.

I've never bought the idea that television (or any other kind of media) cheapens one's life. Certain kinds of television, maybe, but that has more to do with the content than the medium.

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Viani said:

Is there a good book that parodies both atheism and christianity?

I don't think anyone has wrote "SouthPark: The Novel" yet.
  • Good TV (and good media in general) makes you think. That's why say, Lost was critically acclaimed (though, as a disclaimer everything I know about taht show is second hand. Never seen it).

Of course there is value in popcorn escapist entertainment too, but that's not what I mean.

• edited 2012-10-02 19:35:12
  • Well that would depend on what you're watching, wouldn't it?

And I really don't see how it's any worse than any other kind of media. People used to have similar objections to writing.

• edited 2012-10-02 21:31:18
  • Frosty said:

Watching something is a passive experience. It is basically plugging yourself into a stream of information. It does not ask of its viewers to do much other than vegetate, most of the time (as mentioned above, there are exceptions). Even bad literature asks of its readers the effort it takes to read text from a page and understand it. That is not to say that reading lots of junk is a good thing to do, but it keeps one's mind busier than would watching lots of junk on a TV. Good writing, or even decent writing, does engage its readers and make them think. There is also this: one may digest literature at one's own pace, uninterrupted by commercials, and whenever one pleases. This is not true of watching a TV show.

Frosty said:

Watching something is a passive experience. It is basically plugging yourself into a stream of information. It does not ask of its viewers to do much other than vegetate, most of the time (as mentioned above, there are exceptions). Even bad literature asks of its readers the effort it takes to read text from a page and understand it. That is not to say that reading lots of junk is a good thing to do, but it keeps one's mind busier than would watching lots of junk on a TV. Good writing, or even decent writing, does engage its readers and make them think. There is also this: one may digest literature at one's own pace, uninterrupted by commercials, and whenever one pleases. This is not true of watching a TV show.

• You seem to be equating "requires more effort to ingest" with "is better for you"/"makes you think more". That's really not the case. If it were, even literature wouldn't be the best way of having a story imparted to you, that would be coming up with one on your own and memorizing it. Since that takes the most effort (as far as I can imagine) of any possible form of media.

You cannot honestly sit there and tell me that Twilight is better for you than Time of EVE solely because the latter is a cartoon and the former is a book series.

Honestly this entire argument seems to rely on interactivity as a metric, which I can't agree with.

• edited 2012-10-02 22:06:32

You seem to be equating "requires more effort to ingest" with "is better for you"/"makes you think more". That's really not the case.

I would say it generally is. 

If it were, even literature wouldn't be the best way of having a story imparted to you, that would be coming up with one on your own and memorizing it. 

...I don't get it.

You cannot honestly sit there and tell me that Twilight is better for you than Time of EVE solely because the latter is a cartoon and the former is a book series.

I am not. (*Never seen Time of EVE, but it has to be better than Twilight*)
  • I would say it generally is. 

Why would you say that?

I can see the reasoning. Thinking that if you take more time on something, you're more likely to actually take it in thoroughly. But in my experience, at least, that's never been the case.

...I don't get it.

If more effort = better for you, then the most difficult means of getting a story (making one up on your own) would be the best for you. That's obviously not true, but it's an extreme that can be reasonably extrapolated from what you're all suggesting.

I am not. (*Never seen Time of EVE, but it has to be better than Twilight*)

Okay, so we can then at least agree that books are not inherently better than television?

• Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    Frosty said:

this deserves another emptyquote
  • edited 2012-10-02 22:19:31

If more effort = better for you, then the most difficult means of getting a story (making one up on your own) would be the best for you. That's obviously not true, but it's an extreme that can be reasonably extrapolated from what you're all suggesting.
    ...I think I lost your train of thought somewhere.
  • Well that's how it is, then.

I'm clearly outnumbered here anyway, so I'm not sure there's even a point to me trying to defend my position.

• I mean, maybe I misunderstood you somewhere, I wasn't really talking about "getting a story"?..
  • Well when I first said this.

If it were, even literature wouldn't be the best way of having a story imparted to you, that would be coming up with one on your own and memorizing it.

I was actually responding to Frosty, you just seemed to be agreeing with him.

See I thought he was saying that literature requiring more effort to "get" meant it was better for you. I countered that if that was the sole reason literature was better, you could just as easily say that making up your own story is better for you than literature, since that's significantly harder than just reading something that already exists.

So I think, anyway.