Book book book

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    The Third Policeman is forever on my to-read list, me being a fan of Irish and weird and Joyce. Although smaller and smaller chests doesn't really appeal to me
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    sunn wolf said:

also reading The Third Policeman by flann o brien. its a lot about bicycles and a guy who keeps making smaller and smaller and smaller chests, and also bicycles. you should get it if youlike Joyce for being really Irish and weird, and also if you like bicycles

• dont worry its the other kind of chest

its really surreal and you would like it

all right then
    So I finally finished reading Fahrenheit 451 last night. I must say I was not expecting that ending.
  • i have finished High Rise by j.g. ballard which was, insular community of upper-middle-class professionals slowly retreat from the rest of society to form their own sex-and-violence fuelled psychogeographical state of barbarism... like every other Ballard book then (no for real it is good)

i also read 2 poetry anthologies, well read one and finished another

now i am reading Half Blood Blues by esi edugyan which is supposedly really good because itwas shortlisted for the booker and im not far into it so i cant tell you if the vernacular writing has annoyed me to distraction yet, but if it does not do that then they should have givenher the booker because thats a fucking miracle

planning on getting into umberto eco the name of the rose and rereading some chekhov!

• I borrowed Seamus Heaney's translation of Beowulf from my dad.
  • i have not read beowulf yet but seamus heaney is p much cool. he likes bogs. read some of his poetry if you like bogs, and you and seamus heaney can bond thru text over your mutual appreciation of bogs

a Medieval Translation thng i did read was simon armitages translation of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight which i found really cool

poetry completely off topic: everyone should read everything from Daljit Nagra bcause seriously just read this

Look We Have Coming to Dover!

‘So various, so beautiful, so new…’
    - Matthew Arnold, ‘Dover Beach’

Stowed in the sea to invade
    the alfresco lash of a diesel-breeze
    ratcheting speed into the tide, burnt with
    gobfuls of surf phlegmed by cushy come-and-go
    tourists prow’d on the cruisers, lording the ministered waves.

Seagull and shoal life
    vexing their blarnies upon our huddled
    camouflage past the vast crumble of scummed
    cliffs, scramming on mulch as thunder unbladders
    yobbish rain and wind on our escape, hutched in a Bedford van.

Seasons or years we reap
    inland, unclocked by the national eye
    or stabs in the back, teemed for breathing
    sweeps of grass through the whistling asthma of parks,
    burdened, ennobled – poling sparks across pylon and pylon.

Swarms of us, grafting in
    the black within shot of the moon’s
    spotlight, banking on the miracle of sun -
    span its rainbow, passport us to life. Only then
    can it be human to hoick ourselves, bare-faced for the clear.

Imagine my love and I,
    our sundry others, Blair’d in the cash
    of our beeswax’d cars, our crash clothes, free,
    we raise our charged glasses over unparasol’d tables
    East, babbling our lingoes, flecked by the chalk of Britannia!

This does not seem conductive to book reviewing.
    That's how she aced all her book reports in school, I'm sure
  • The second top comment made me laugh.
  • today i finished reading The Master and Margarita by mikhail bulgakov and i just wanted to let yall know that you should read it and bulgakov is the dude. i especially enjoyed the part when a group of stalinist secret police have a giant shootout with a talking cat.

next i am going to read some italo calvino either invisible cities or if on a winters night a traveller because i have both of those books from the library

• "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    sunn wolf said:

today i finished reading The Master and Margarita by mikhail bulgakov and i just wanted to let yall know that you should read it and bulgakov is the dude. i especially enjoyed the part when a group of stalinist secret police have a giant shootout with a talking cat.

YES YES! Begemot is the best. It's like freaking Rocket Raccoon showing up in serious literature.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    The Master and Margarita
    Book by Mikhail Bulgakov
    The Master and Margarita is a novel by Mikhail Bulgakov, written between 1928 and 1940 but not published until 1967, which is woven around a visit by the Devil to the fervently atheistic Soviet Union.

• that book sounds so rad.
    I remember the first part had me literally grinning.

Never finished it though...
    It's on the endless to-read list...

Meanwhile, I've been reading The Third Policeman which sunn wolf (I think) also recommended as being pretty waycool, and it is.
  • bulgakov chat: yea behemoth is basically the best and if you are thinking of reading master and margarita go and do it. it is hilarious and way cool

Meanwhile, I've been reading The Third Policeman which sunn wolf (I think) also recommended as being pretty waycool, and it is.

ya that was me. on this page in fact

i am glad that you are reading this book *thumbsup*

I felt like the main character was a parody of me when I read it.
    on this page in fact
    So it is. How short is my memory
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    The Master and Margarita is my Russian major friend's favourite book.

I should read it.
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens

my Russian major friend's favourite book.

(Ok, so that's a general...)

• it was a lovely day i so i went out to the park, and then sat down and read invisible cities all the way through since it is only a little over 100 pages, and its pretty much amazing. and i would especially recommend it if you are a fan of umberto eco because calvino is also italian and likes using historical figures to discuss semiotics.

though for real its a fucking great book

• Read The Fountainhead. My thoughts - the style is often clearly lacking, especially in the beginning (where it looks as if it was written by a high-schooler) and the end (where the characters suddenly start talking in long monologues), the male lead is a sociopath (which for the author is a good thing), the female lead needs therapy and/or getting punched (then again, she'll probably enjoy it), and the book goes to great lengths to describe just why the author's "ideal person" cannot exist in capitalist society (which is amusing considering that the author is an ardent supporter of capitalism).

That being said, I'm glad to have read it, and it does have some points I agree with. Especially about self-respect, and about how doing what other people expect of you to be "successful" does not bring happiness. If I understood that in high school, I probably wouldn't be where I am, professionally (a bad place). Extremely sarcastic descriptions of high society and intelligentsia are also amusing - and, I suspect, still true.
    So I finished The Third Policeman last night. I must say it had one of the most memorable and unsettling last chapters that I can remember.

Next up is probably Tropic of Cancer
    I finished the leatherbound Ficciones I snagged cheap from a used bookstore. It's the only Borges I've read besides Book of Imaginary Beasts. Any suggestions for where to go next with him?
    My first instinct is to say to just get the Collected Fictions and be done with it.

Failing that, The Aleph.
  • My first instinct is to say to just get the Collected Fictions and be done with it.

Yes.

Relatedly, that is the first book i have read in far too long a time.
  • borges is good/cool

i read recently Dart by alice oswald which... i dont know, it is... a poem? a play for voices? a thing? im not sure. its about a river in Devon. either way it owns so on the small chance you can pick it up in america (lol) do so

• also i read waiting for godot
  • right now i am reading the flame of a candle by Gaston Bachelard but thats not a novel, probably the next novel i will read is Pure by Andrew Miller

• sunn wolf said:

if on a winters night a traveller

btw i read this. it was good despite doing its best to frustrate you all the time. yall should read Calvino
  • hi every1, reading is good

If on a winter's night a traveler was good, yeah, I think I enjoyed Invisible Cities more, though. That was a badly-written sentence.

About 1/5 through Henry Miller's Tropic of Cancer. For someone who's already been through Naked Lunch and Gravity's Rainbow and Rule 34 this does not shock. But as a portrait of a struggling would-be writer, well I can identify with that.
    A friend of mine posted one of my favourite short stories by one of my favourite authors on Tumblr earlier.

Please, read this. It would make my life.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    So I'm reading The Book and the Sword, Jin Yong's first published wuxia novel. English translation, of course. It's a real page-turner and I got really sad when a kid got brained by his angry dad by accident.

What I find interesting is that the protagonist isn't revealed until about half-way through.

I let my to-read pile get huge. I'm supposed to be starting on Livy after reading Greek historians dow to Alexander (sorry, Polybius). Yet I have a pile with Orlando Innamorato, the Brontes, Droll Stories, Count of Monte Cristo, Sherlock Holmes, an Oscar Wilde omnibus, One Hudred Years of Solitude.

I need help.

Odradek said:
    It's finally out. Cool!
  • Just finished Orlando Innamorato. Now that was amusing. Also, why there is still no anime based on it?! Crazy people, cool and extremely exaggerated fights, almost invincible characters (who know it), weird creatures, and motivations worthy of shonen anime - namely "I want to prove I'm the superior fighter" "I'll never give up" "let's team up and defeat that guy who dares to interrupt our duel" "I want a cool sword and cool horse", every one is hot blooded, Determinator, madly in love, butt monkey or all of the above.

Also, fierce riding giraffes
  • Beholder said:

Also, fierce riding giraffes

I am reading World War Z.

After reading most of it and re-reading some of The Zombie Survival Guide I have concluded that Max Brooks is not a good author. 

I'm almost finished with WWZ and would rate it a 3 out of 5, but it was a 2 for a while there. Issues being he has attempted to make Zombies seem scientifically possible, but falls short on several counts and later handwaves it in WWZ buy suggesting Zombies technically don't make scientific sense; WWZ has rife with political and social commentary, often to the point where the books seems less about zombies and more a commentary on a number of subjects; WWZ is conducted as an interview, which would make sense in theory, but Brooks often has his interviewer ask simple one or two sentence (or even word) questions to have his interviewee go one for paragraph after paragraph.

The last example is typical of pretty much every single character, leading me to believe that despite doing lots of research prior to writing the book, Brooks forgot to research what an actual transcribed interview looks like.

There are a few stories that shine, hence why it was raised from 2 to 3. So, Brooks can write the occasional great short story, but falls short when it comes to the novel. Zombie Survival Guide, for instance, was full of great short stories.

I think my brother put it best when I discussed it with him, basically that Brooks picked a subject where the quality of his writing wasn't incredibly important.
    Does anyone know if there are any book-lengthy compilations of Gahan Wilson's short stories.

I've read two stories by him, and I really like his style of horror, but I haven't seen any collections.
    Henry Miller sure liked the word "cunt."

Just sayin'

Finished WWZ.

I had more great short stories, but I'd still give it a 3 because of the aforementioned political and social commentary delivered with the subtleness of a brick to the face.

Brooks also should have either attempted to make a fairly comprehensive scientific explanation for zombies or avoided the topic altogether. The attempt to explain Zombies while simultaneously admitting they're scientifically impossible multiple-times in his book undermines his own righting. 

Basically he needs to figure out if he wants to eat that cake or have it.

Latest reads:

Oscar Wilde (The Picture of Dorian Gray, the fairy tales, Salome, The Importance of Being Earnest)

More of Poe's tales

Appian's Civil Wars

Tacitus's Annals

Next up:

Tacitus's Histories

Latest Purchase:

Churchill's The Second World War (Time-Life illustrated edition of the authorized abridged version).