Book book book

edited 2013-01-03 22:31:24 in General Media
Talk about books ITT
Tagged:

Comments

• i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind

I'm reading Ulysses.

It's zany.

• I tried to read Ulysses

I failed.

I failed harder than anyone has ever failed at anything.

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    I am allegedly reading Derrida's An Introduction to "The Origin of Geometry", although I keep getting distracted and losing my place.

For uni, William Wycherley's The Country Wife.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I finished Ulysses with the aid of helps. Parts of it are excellent and awesome.

I am currently reading Donald Barthelme's 60 Stories. Donald Barthelme was one of the chief postmodernists and as such is a god in my canon.

I was also reading John Hawkes' The Cannibal but to be honest I think I may put it aside for a while. Not really getting it.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    I will have more interesting things to post in this thread when exams are over (hopefully).
  • The last thing I read was....an essay on klein bottles.

I really have no life.

• Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Currently going through Invisible Cities in my free time and Death Masks of the Dresden Files whilst I work.
  • TreTre
    edited 2012-05-01 22:41:44
    STUCK
    In other news,  I want to reread The Gunger Hames sometime.
  • I'm currently reading The Metamorphosis, as aside from Kakfa's parable "Before the Law" (which is wonderful, for anyone who hasn't read it)  I haven't read any of Kafka's work.

As for my to read list, I'm going to re-read "The Ethics of Ambiguity" and read "The Second Sex" by Simone De Beauvior. And also "What is Metaphysics" by Heidegger.

Also gonna try again on making it through "Being and Nothingness" and "Being and Time", but I don't expect to
  • Book book book like a highly literate chicken.
  • It's 4:20 somewhere.
    I don't actually read that many books.
  • Finished reading Anno Dracula today. Threw a few curveballs at the end, to my pleasant surprise. I was still a bit disappointed we didn't see more of "the Limehouse Court", though; I was hoping for another scene with them.

Currently going through Invisible Cities in my free time

Good choice.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I'm reading The Thousandfold Thought, Negative Dialectics, and a horror anthology I forget the name of currently. After those are done, I'll switch to the Swamplandia.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    fap fap fap
  • I want to live in a book igloo now.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    "Book book book like a highly literate chicken."

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Lumine will be happy to know I've decided to re-read The Reptile Room, i.e. the second book in Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events. I want to see if it's as fun as I remember it being.

I'm reading this book right now as well, because OBSESSIVE INTERESTS, but I'm not far in enough to really say anything about it yet.
    I am reading The Mezzanine by Nicholson Baker now.

I swear it was written by an anorak.
  • Currently reading The Odyssey and Book of Job.

I need to read The Odyssey, but it's a door stopper. And I'm already on one of those at the moment (The Romance of the Three Kingdoms) .

Book of Job is a pretty good read, and not too long.
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    Door stopper, really? It's about 12,000 hexameter lines (which became the standard length for epics). My preferred translation (Pope) runs to ~122,000 words, which isn't much more than The Hobbit.

Meanwhile, I'm starting on the Third Book of Gargantua and Pantagruel. Rabelais was a silly, silly writer.
    Now reading Even Cowgirls Get the Blues by Tom Robbins. He kinda reminds me of a simpler, more accessible Thomas Pynchon. Who, incidentally, is quoted on the front cover. Wheeeeee

Gryphon said:

Door stopper, really? It's about 12,000 hexameter lines (which became the standard length for epics). My preferred translation (Pope) runs to ~122,000 words, which isn't much more than The Hobbit.

Meanwhile, I'm starting on the Third Book of Gargantua and Pantagruel. Rabelais was a silly, silly writer.

Maybe it's just the giant copy Friday owns. I should open it up and see if the text size is on the large size.

Also It just clicked I was thinking "The Iliad" when I wrote that. Which has about 3,000 more lines. Though, I'll grant that might still be a bit shy of "Door stopper".
    So Mr. Robbins claims.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Found an awesome poem in this early '60s book called An Anthology Of Modern Japanese Poetry. It's called "Raskolnikov", and it was written by this anarchist-Dadaist activist-poet yclept Hagiwara Kyojiro (or Kyoujirou Hagiwara to people that, you know, speak English and stuff). It's frigging awesome. Sadly his poery is otherwise nigh-impossible to find.
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    Justice42 said:

Gryphon said:

Maybe it's just the giant copy Friday owns. I should open it up and see if the text size is on the large size.

Also It just clicked I was thinking "The Iliad" when I wrote that. Which has about 3,000 more lines. Though, I'll grant that might still be a bit shy of "Door stopper".

Totally epics:

The Iliad is 15,700 hexameters.
    The Odyssey, Aeneid, and Metamorphoses are 12,000 each.
    The Divine Comedy is ~15,000 eleven-syllable lines.
    Paradise Lost is 12,000 pentameters.

Meanwhile, the Ramayana is 24,000 sloka (16-beat rhymed couplets) and the Mahabharata has no fixed length, but 74,000 couplets common to every recension. Now that's a door stopper.
  • Re-reading Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell .
  • edited 2012-07-17 19:21:41
    Finished The Waste Lands (third Dark Tower book). Not quite as good as the second book because it felt disjointed halfway through and dragged a little bit. But, I still liked it.

Started up Gravity's Rainbow a few days ago; dunno what to say about it so far. Also, reading The Hollow alongside it because I can
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I've finished two volumes of the Kingkiller Chronicles, and eagerly await the third.

I've also tried to read Leviathan, but it seems a little dry.
    Naked Came the Stranger

"[Newsday columnist Mike McGrady] decided to design an
    experiment to test the depths of the American cultural morass. He would
    commission the writing of a novel lacking in any redeeming features"

Smut? Low standards? N-no, I thought it was by naked Albert Camus!
    hornymanatee.com
  • hornymanatee.com

/conan
    yes
    who names their kid Gore
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    Metal parents do
  • edited 2012-07-19 23:00:08
    "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    Vid Al Gore?
  • who names their kid Gore

the Verbinski and Vidal families, apparently
    Al and Tipper should have named a kid Gore Gore.

Gore Gore of Gor.
  • ^Didn't they divorce?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    ^ Since when does being divorced mean you can't have a kid?
  • edited 2012-08-03 21:55:58
    Touch the cow. Do it now.
    So I just finished Even Cowgirls Get the Blues.

I rather enjoyed it. Had many of the usual elements I like: a cheerfully implausible plot, lots of odd digressions, eccentric characters, and occasional tits

There was a lot of, er, philosophical conversation in it, mostly from one character in particular. I could imagine some people finding it tiresome, but I tend to like that stuff. It also had a sort of humanistic theme focusing on individualism, anti-consumerism, and gender equality, which I can dig.

So yeah, 9/10, would read again
  • edited 2012-08-07 15:55:16
    Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    Odradek said:
    before I even click on this link, I am calling it

one of the first comments on this list will be AHEM WHERE IS THE BIBLE ON THIS LIST

edit: holy shit I was wrong. WRONG