Book book book

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I'm not terribly inclined to take the word of someone who writes for a blog called "The Pish-Posh" seriously. So I won't.
    Lumine said:

That wouldn't even make sense because I think by "books" it means "novels" and the Bible is not a novel. ;]

He doesn't mean novels. The list includes The Crucible which is a play, and The Wasteland which is a long poem.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    That list reminded me of something I might've written ten years ago, and that is not good.
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    Lumine said:

That wouldn't even make sense because I think by "books" it means "novels" and the Bible is not a novel. ;]

By "book" (which is the word he used) I figured he meant "tome" or "papers bounded together in sequential format" of which the Bible most definitely is

;]
  • edited 2012-08-07 16:25:10
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Nope I'm pretty sure the URL says it all

yep, "top 10 worst books of all time" is pretty apparent in there. Doesn't say "novel" or "selected discredited variants of fascist-endorsed psuedoscience to use as an emergency strawman argument" either
  • Emergency Strawman would be a good name for a techno group.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    No mention of any Religious books at all.

Maybe the author has garnered a decent following of literary nerds who rather focus on their hobby then cause pointless religious debates.
    Justice42 said:

No mention of any Religious books at all.

Maybe the author has garnered a decent following of literary nerds who rather focus on their hobby then cause pointless religious debates.
    I wasn't going to pick on the author but on the comments section of lists like these, this is usually how it goes

honestly speaking I was surprised that wasn't the case this time
    Seems like half of the choices are just "THE SENTENCES ARE TOO LONG WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH"
  • Also he calls several of the authors pigs without bothering to explain why. Which is useless because I really don't recall anything terribly misogynist in The Crucible that we were supposed to agree with.
  • edited 2012-08-07 16:59:00
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

I wasn't going to pick on the author but on the comments section of lists like these, this is usually how it goes

honestly speaking I was surprised that wasn't the case this time

Yeah, especially if it's a site that sees a lot of "generic internet traffic", but I'm guessing the author mostly just has some dedicated blog readers...and Odradek.

Seems like half of the choices are just "THE SENTENCES ARE TOO LONG WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH"
    He's definitely put a few things on the list simply because he doesn't like the writing style. The list would also make sense if it was "the top 10 most overrated books", as there's got to be garbage MUCH worse than this, it's just that he has no cause to ever read said garbage.

I mean, technically speaking, this suggests he thinks Mien Kampf is a better book then these 10.
    I've read Mein Kampf, found a copy years ago. It's unreadable. And by "unreadable" I mean it's the most painfully written and boring piece of shit ever put to paper, Hitler could not write for fucking shit and this was after he had someone clean up his writing. 

Let me give you an example. "The United States is a country of a certain number of states that have limited powers to govern themselves and are overseen by a more powerful central government."  Hitler took this very simple concept and this concept alone and spread it out over three entire pages of words, words, words. I'm not kidding. I don't know how he did it. If Mein Kampf has any real use anymore, other than being a blueprint for his plans of death and conquest, it's to show college students how to pad wordcount like a motherfucker should the need ever arise. 
  • Living tissue over endoskeleton.
    That guy slammed It for being too scary...

Aside from the fact that It isn't all that scary, shouldn't it be a good book then? Cause it accomplished its task?

That guy slammed It for being too scary...

Aside from the fact that It isn't all that scary, shouldn't it be a good book then? Cause it accomplished its task?

• edited 2012-08-07 17:23:51
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I just looked at that pish-posh page thingamajig. 

Just....wow, right from the start, I think the attitude is going to be a turn-off. It's just so whiny! And also, any list that says all books by the same author are categorically rubbish is really not trying hard enough. 

I feel like I'm reading someone on tumblr griping about Homestuck having too many walls of text, not a fair, balanced criticism of literature. :(
  • edited 2012-08-07 17:27:38
    "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens

Let me give you an example. "The United States is a country of a certain number of states that have limited powers to govern themselves and are overseen by a more powerful central government."  Hitler took this very simple concept and this concept alone and spread it out over three entire pages of words, words, words.

• This list is shit, there's no A Separate Peace on it :P

Yeah, the It entry was just funny. If it's too scary, that doesn't make it a bad book if it's meant to be a horror novel. It's doing it's work. I don't get how all o these authors are misogynistic, there wasn't a lot of detail on that. It sounded like because the protagonist of The Scarlet Letter didn't get a happy ending, that meant the man was a pig? The Crucible is supposed to be an allegory for McCarthyism so it might not be the best representation of the time period. But, again, I don't get how that hated women? I don't know, I liked the play.

I do agree that Ayn Rand is not very good at writing novels, though.
  • edited 2012-08-07 19:14:21

1984 is shit because it had a sad ending and is therefore in favor of totalitarianism!

Similarly, Animal Farm is also shit because it's supporting communism! 
  • The Scarlett Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne.
     My Immortal was better.

Funnier, perhaps.
    Best book I've ever read, and I mean this seriously: Uncle Tom's Cabin.  It's a powerful tale about a man (Uncle Tom) who stands by his convictions no matter what. 

Which makes me wonder why in the world "Uncle Tom" is an epithet for a black person blindly obeys the majority because that's not how Uncle Tom was at all. Complete opposite in fact. 
  • Maybe it's sort of a slang version of the False Friends phenomenon?
  • The main criticism I've seen of Uncle Tom's Cabin is that it is full of stereotypes. James Baldwin has an rather interesting criticism of it in the essay "Everybody's Protest Novel."
  • Best book I've ever read, and I mean this seriously: Uncle Tom's Cabin.  It's a powerful tale about a man (Uncle Tom) who stands by his convictions no matter what. 

Which makes me wonder why in the world "Uncle Tom" is an epithet for a black person blindly obeys the majority because that's not how Uncle Tom was at all. Complete opposite in fact. 
    In the past, copyright law wasn't what it was, so Uncle Tom became a recurring character in minstrel shows, where he was depicted in a manner.... distinctly different from how he was depicted in the book.
  • edited 2012-08-07 23:04:18
    Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.

The main criticism I've seen of Uncle Tom's Cabin is that it is full of stereotypes. James Baldwin has an rather interesting criticism of it in the essay "Everybody's Protest Novel."

Yeah, but so are Twain's novels. It wasn't exceptional in this regard at all. Also, the stereotype that everyone in this modern day seems to think is from the novel doesn't exist there at all. 
  • I hate Mark Twain's books.

I hate Mark Twain's books.

• edited 2012-08-08 02:36:03

Best book I've ever read, and I mean this seriously: Uncle Tom's Cabin.  It's a powerful tale about a man (Uncle Tom) who stands by his convictions no matter what. 

In the book, yes.

There where plays made of the book.

Produced by white people...

Produced by white people who where pro-slavery...

We should be so lucky we probably won't have to watch a man in black-face be overly apologetic to whitey and a slavery apologist.
  • ^ I just said that.

Ah, sorry, missed it when when I read the last few posts.
  • My dreams exceed my real life

I hate Mark Twain's books.

I've only read The Mysterious Stranger.

Go read The Mysterious Stranger.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    The Mysterious Stranger is good.

Midway through Slaughterhouse-Five at the moment.
    Slaughterhouse-Five is good.

3/4 of the way through Philip K. Dick's Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said at the moment.
  • The sadness will last forever.
    I'm currently reading The wind in the willows.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I want to read more Dr. Seuss books.
    I Had Trouble In Getting To Solla Sollew is his greatest work.

The Butter Battle Book and On Beyond Zebra come close, and The Grinch and the Cat in the Hat are his most accessible works, but Solla Sollew is his masterpiece.
    I don't think I ever read that one.

I am deprived.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I'm reading Aristotle's Children by Rubenstien.

It's a really great book, and it makes so much historical information fit as if it was a real story.
  • It's weird, every time I see someone on the Internet who *doesn't* think Huckleberry Finn and To Kill a Mockingbird are more racist than the rules and regulations pamphlet for the KKK it's like a breath of fresh air.
  • i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind
    So I tried reading Vinland.

I don't think I should try reading anything by Pynchon for a while.