Book book book

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Tachyon said:

i finished Elizabeth Costello by J.M. Coetzee today.  This is a book that Sunn Wolf recommended me.  It's the first novel i've read in a little while.

i have to say i liked it a lot.  i don't think i've read anything quite like it before.  Actually, i felt as though the author was always leaps and bounds ahead of me and i got rather dizzy with it.  i couldn't say, at the end, whether it was a funny novel or a serious one.  It felt kind of both those things, usually at the same time.

Wow this is so misleading, haha

it's not a pacy novel.  it doesn't have a fast plot, it doesn't really have a plot at all, it's more like a series of vignettes

i think what i found dizzying about it was the way it always seemed to be operating on multiple levels and referring back to itself.  You need to be awake or you miss it.
  • Vampire Lady of Corvidia

(The other Jane)
    I finished The Secret History. Would recommend to all of you
  • My dreams exceed my real life

Well at least today isn't a total wash
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    interesting title.
    Odradek said:

Well at least today isn't a total wash
    Update: this is good.

Although Mieville's picked up the Gene Wolfe habit of leaving the point of the story kind of obscure, now.
  • Know your lines? Of course you know your lines! But I don't want to just hear your lines...I wanna hear what's in YOUR SOULS!!
    I'm reading Yukikaze and the Red Dwarf novelization. Former is good Japanese sci-fi, latter is what I feel the TV show would have been if the budget was way higher.
    Hey, who'd be on board for relaunching the short story club?
    sure
    i was never in it in the first place, but count me as interested.
    I think maybe we should find ways to pre-decide the order, so someone doesn't have to re-roll every week.

Also maybe differentiate a read time and a discussion time.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Same as Tach, but these sound like good ideas to me.

writing or reading short stories?

Reading
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Tachyon said:

• I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    Tachyon said:

Does anyone have a good way to decide an order all at once?
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Maybe just something simple like this?
    Alright.

I will include everyone who showed interest here, and give everyone another day, then make the OP Friday.
    Bumping this to make sure everyone sees the above.
  • so, for my intro to literature class I am reading The Hiawatha by David Treuer

it is quite something
  • it is quite strange to see a city that I know and love being subtly recast into something implacable and forboding
  • edited 2015-08-31 22:36:22

also the first chapter is comprised mostly of a haunting, magical realism tinged thing that ends up with a deer getting pretty brutally mulched by a car so there's that

(The other Jane)
    The Critique of Pure Reason isn't as daunting as I was told
    what's daunting, by your reckoning?

don't say The Phenomenology of Spirit
    The first bit is easiest
    I need to comment on Tach's thread tomorrow
    i will look forward to it
  • naney said:

also the first chapter is comprised mostly of a haunting, magical realism tinged thing that ends up with a deer getting pretty brutally mulched by a car so there's that

The deer approaches the end of the channel of men, its small hooves click on the frost-hardened asphalt and steam plumes from its nose. It pauses then, preparing to leave this human forest. As it steps clear, the last man reaches out and gently places his hand flat against its fur. In an instant it is running. It jumps once, and then again. In two leaps it is over the fence. The men drop their arms and rush to the chain-link, hook their fingers and watch the deer bound down the weedy and trash-strewn slope to the freeway and into the traffic.

The first car clips its legs from under it and it flies into the air, rolled up the ramp of the windshield. The yearling lands on the hood of the second and the men hear the bone mulch. Again, for what seems an eternity, it is sent toward the leaded sky. The legs mill on broken joints, a gout of blood erupts from between the pages of its ribs. The deer is lofted once more before it falls limp on the litter-strewn shoulder, its head among the brown winter weeds where black garbage bags have caught fast and flutter like crows. The deer is dead.

posting this here so y'all can appreciate
    RIP the deer.

(The other Jane)
    Tachyon said:

what's daunting, by your reckoning?

don't say The Phenomenology of Spirit

The Phaenomenology of Spirit
  • you know what's daunting

• The clocks began to strike the dawn hour, but it did not dawn. In surprise we all went out to the street, to the patio. In the quarter where the sun should have appeared the sky was covered by a strange reddish cloud, like smoke, like hot ashes, like a dark pollen that had arisen swiftly, stretching from one horizon to the other. When the cloud moved overhead it began to rain butterflies on the roofs, the water-jars, our shoulders. They were little butterflies, deep amaranth in colour, striped in violet, which had come together by myriads in some unknown spot behind the immense jungle, frightened, perhaps, driven away, after multiplying frenziedly, by some cataclysm, some awful occurrence, without witnesses or record. The Adelantado told me that these swarms of butterflies were nothing new in the region, and that when they took place the sun was almost blotted out for the whole day. The burial of the father would have to be carried out by candlelight in a day that was night, reddened by wings. In this corner of the world, great migrations were still a fact, like those described by chroniclers of the Dark Ages when the Danube turned black with rats or packs of wolves invaded the market-place of the cities. The week before, he told me, a huge jaguar had been killed in the church portico.
  • edited 2015-09-01 15:51:07
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    15000 m³ water tank
    ok well, if your cut-off point for daunting is Hegel, i can see how not many things would be particularly daunting

(The other Jane)
    Tachyon said:

ok well, if your cut-off point for daunting is Hegel, i can see how not many things would be particularly daunting

I'm kidding. I haven't read Hegel yet.

Not sure what my cutoff point is
  • edited 2015-09-10 06:39:56

Abraham was already known as a writer who considered economics an integral part of his fantasy worlds (the cotton trade, of all things, launches generations of upheaval in The Long Price Quartet) when he launched The Dagger and the Coin quintet, in which he crafts a world with a deep history of civil strife (the titular Dragon’s Path); 13 specific races, each with its own socioeconomic place and culture; and plenty of warfare, battles, near-escapes, and thrills. It’s also a world where one of the five point-of-view characters runs a bank branch, and where banks are almost nations unto themselves, crossing borders and wielding incredible power. The story climaxes in an audit that is somehow as exciting as any sword fight. No one else makes realistic economics an essential part of an exciting story like Abraham.
  • kill living beings
    i loved the cambist and lord iron no joke
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I read the first book of the Long Price Quartet and it was really good.
  • now that my course is over i can read for the sake of reading again

so now i am reading news of a kidnapping by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    naney said:

Abraham was already known as a writer who considered economics an integral part of his fantasy worlds (the cotton trade, of all things, launches generations of upheaval in The Long Price Quartet) when he launched The Dagger and the Coin quintet, in which he crafts a world with a deep history of civil strife (the titular Dragon’s Path); 13 specific races, each with its own socioeconomic place and culture; and plenty of warfare, battles, near-escapes, and thrills. It’s also a world where one of the five point-of-view characters runs a bank branch, and where banks are almost nations unto themselves, crossing borders and wielding incredible power. The story climaxes in an audit that is somehow as exciting as any sword fight. No one else makes realistic economics an essential part of an exciting story like Abraham.

I read an early novella of his ("Flat Diane") and egads, was that depressing.
  • I was reading an interview with notable russian fashion designer Alexandre Plokhov where he lists his favorite pieces of media/inspirations, and on that list he put The Master and Margarita. What interested me was the comparison he made that "He (Bulgakov) is sort of the Russian equivalent of Michael Chabon."
  • which is just... such an unusual comparison to make?
  • kill living beings
    i'm kind of curious how that works. admittedly i mostly associate bulgakov with censorship and jesus
  • i don't know that much about chabon but i kiiiiiiinda see that in relation to the master and margarita at least

like a bulletproof talking cat having a shootout with the KGB is hardly the material for a dry literary novel

it is certainly a slightly off the wall comparison. not entirely invalid though. did he expand on it at all?
    Finished 3 Moments of An Explosion.

China Mieville rarely writes straight horror, but if Sacken and The Ball Room are any indication, he's really really good at creeping me, specifically, right the fuck out.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    sunn wolf said:

i don't know that much about chabon but i kiiiiiiinda see that in relation to the master and margarita at least

like a bulletproof talking cat having a shootout with the KGB is hardly the material for a dry literary novel

it is certainly a slightly off the wall comparison. not entirely invalid though. did he expand on it at all?

Gentlemen of the Road is pretty antic and droll.
  • i picked up a copy of The Aleph from a charity shop today, and, well, it is a borges book, and i am me, do i rly need to tell you that i think it's extremely great
  • kill living beings
    for a second i thought you meant "the aleph" as in the entity described