Book book book

Comments

• kill living beings
    yea
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Do you favor any particular interpretation of it?
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    sunn wolf said:

im rereading Pale Fire by nabokov which is still like one of the best novels ever written, for srs owns so hard

I need to read that in full. Also Ada, Or Ardour. And that complete short stories collection I have.

I did a report on Nabakov for a history class in ninth grade and one rather perceptive student asked if he had written anything where the plot wasn't depressing, morbid and/or sexually perverse. I said Pnin. Short stories aside, I think that's it.
  • sunn wolf said:

nabokov is a boss

it was explained to him that in strangling a young adult one of two methods was commonly used: the amateurish, none too efficient, frontal attack, and the more professional approach made from behind. In the first method, the eight fingers stiffly encircle the victim's neck while the two thumbs compress his or her throat; one runs, however, the risk of her or his hands seizing one's wrists or otherwise fighting off the assault. The second, much safer way, from behind, consists in pressing both thumbs hard against the back of the boy's or, preferably, girl's neck and working upon the throat with one's fingers. The first hold is dubbed among us "Pouce," the second "Fingerman."

-Transparent Things. I still don't understand what it was about.
    ...did I mention that Nabakov is kinda dark? Nabakov is kinda dark, you guys.
  • I find it funny that "Fingerman" is the only thing I retained from that book. I even had to look up the title.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Vash, a few weeks ago you mentioned you read Peace by Gene Wolfe, and I've had blue balls ever since.
    Panurge said:

Vash, a few weeks ago you mentioned you read Peace by Gene Wolfe, and I've had blue balls ever since.

Peace is fantastic and my mom and I have been arguing over what the ending means ever since we both finished it.

Also, Julius Smart is a scary motherfucker.
    Aaaauggh it's been so long I don't remember who that was.
    Oh, and I also read "The Fifth Head of Cerberus" recently and I swear that Wolfe is the reigning grand master of the school of downplaying horrible, horrible things—the previous champ being Borges or perhaps Marquez.

Oh, and I also read "The Fifth Head of Cerberus" recently and I swear that Wolfe is the reigning grand master of the school of downplaying horrible, horrible things—the previous champ being Borges or perhaps Marquez.

That is also a great book.
    Panurge said:

Aaaauggh it's been so long I don't remember who that was.

The fourth, successful suitor of Aunt Olivia.

Also, going by the fairy tale: "Fire shall win her."
    Peace is a book that deserves a long annotated edition with multiple critical essays.
    It really is one of those stories that just gets better and more interesting the more that you think about it. Also more unsettling: It took my mom bringing up a few key details about Smart to be sure that my hunches were correct (and that there was worse to be read in), and that was well after I finished the book. And that's ignoring things like the Necronomicon sequence and St. Brendan's ship and the farmer at the end and so many other things.
  • kill living beings
    ada or ardor has this weird thing where a long section of th book is a bizarre theory about eternity or something. i skipped it
    why would you skip such a thing
  • kill living beings
    reminded me too much of borges quotations of dumb things
    mmmkay
  • Do you favor any particular interpretation of it?

no

kinbote is definitely insane and that's about as much as you can say for sure, that's the beauty of it though!! also it is hilarious, even funnier than i remember
    kinbote is a crazy d00d indeed
  • kill living beings
    the implication that kinbote is nabokov is funny as fuck imo
    I am reading Ramsey Campbell's The Darkest Part of the Woods and about to start William Gaddis' The Recognitions. I think Campbell's sense of atmosphere really works best in short form, but the novel is at least solid and sporadically quite spooky; and given what I know of Gaddis, and William H. Gass' excellent introduction, I am in for a treat with the latter. A thousand-page treat. Also checking out some Robert Aickman and Kelly Link, who are always delightful, and catching up on Gene Wolfe and the third Leviathan anthology—everybody loves a Vandermeer, no?

Will keep y'all posted when I can.
    I want to read The Recognitions but suspect it requires more dedication than I could give it right now.
  • the recognitions is supposed to be insanely good and i wanna read it too, but also not right now i dont think

read recentlly:

julian barnes flaubert's parrot which i would characterise as 'a bit like pale fire but not as good' but nevertheless it was a good read actually

fadia faqir my name is salma holy fuck this book is depressing as hell. it certainly was a hopeless soul crushing experience to read. sad/10

leila aboulela the translator a 'halal novel'. translation of that is the main character has a weird lack of agency and theres a quite literal deus ex machina at the end. beautifully written tho
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Read Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Professor Challenger stories a bit ago. It's weird how two of them, The Poison Belt and "When the Earth Screamed", play around with premises that would fit right in with the Lovecraftian weird fiction ... but then both stories pull back from the consequences in a rather unsatisfying way.

It takes a lot for me to say that the complete extinction of all vertebrate life on Earth would have been a more narratively satisfying conclusion.

"Holy crap, the Earth is actually a single, giant organism! And Professor Challenger mined through its crust in order to jab its flesh with a needle! For the first time, the Earth noticed us! ... Oh, that wacky Professor Challenger! What will he think of next?" <laugh track>

i wasnt sure where this should go so its going here
  • oh good they have the lyrics to the new Aesop Rock song.
  • 'Produced by Ezra Pound'
  • Vampire Lady of Corvidia

(The other Jane)
    naney said:

i wasnt sure where this should go so its going here

Good, good, you too are reading that page. I'm trying to make better lyrics, and so to Eliot I go.
  • im not reading the rapgenius page on The Waste Land, someone just posted it on tumblr
    Ezra Pound is da best record producer

(The other Jane)
    So I'm reading Sandman.

For the first time.

I really really like it.
  • Corvidium said:

So I'm reading Sandman.

For the first time.

I really really like it.

How far are you in?

(The other Jane)

Corvidium said:

So I'm reading Sandman.

For the first time.

I really really like it.

How far are you in?
    Volume 3. I'm borrowing from a friend in 3-volume shifts
  • Sredni update: he has picked up The Spectral Link
    naney said:

Sredni update: he has picked up The Spectral Link

IMHO one of the weirder Zelda games.
    Thomas Ligotti should give his opinion on The Happy Mask Salesman.
  • a lot of books by, and about, walter Benjamin
  • 'all he is... is brains and sex' - Walter benjamin wife, on Walter Benjamin
    that's silly, a brain can't have sex.
    Was reading Russell Hoban. Fine writer, but I was not in the mood at all.

Reading Steve Rasnic Tem and Melanie Tem's collaborations now; "The Man on the Ceiling" is pure beauty. Also, Leviathan 3 is bonkers and mostly very good, although the first Moorcock contribution was incomprehensible. The second was intriguing, at least, if only a chapter.
    Panurge said:

naney said:

Sredni update: he has picked up The Spectral Link

IMHO one of the weirder Zelda games.

"Metaphysica Morum" is pure Burroughsian black comedy and "The Small People" is the weirdest indictment of racism I have ever read. Probably not his best work but entertaining and likely to grow on me like evil fungus.
  • hello book thread

been reading things, highlights are wg sebald's the emigrants, which is a cool book about the holocaust and also how shit manchester was a few decades ago, and a lot of books about holidays and how people only really go on holiday to have sex or bcos they are wage slaves

atm i am reading marc auge's non-places, because supermodernity owns, and also just started a book called 'the lost steps' by alejo carpentier who was a half cuban half french dude and writes exactly the way u would expect a half cuban half french dude to write
  • I just finished flow my tears the Policeman Said and it was very, very good
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i finished Elizabeth Costello by J.M. Coetzee today.  This is a book that Sunn Wolf recommended me.  It's the first novel i've read in a little while.

i have to say i liked it a lot.  i don't think i've read anything quite like it before.  Actually, i felt as though the author was always leaps and bounds ahead of me and i got rather dizzy with it.  i couldn't say, at the end, whether it was a funny novel or a serious one.  It felt kind of both those things, usually at the same time.
  • i finally finished How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe (i had checked it out from the library a few times but had not read it)

it is a well-paced little novel about how the way time, memory and the way one lives one's life relate to one another, as told from the perspective of a time machine repairman in a half-completed sci-fi universe who wishes to find his lost father.

it is both humorous and poignant, with lots of moderately weird and highly engaging meta shenanigans.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i just finished The King's Shadow by Elizabeth Alder, a young adult historical fiction novel recommended by @Aliroz.  i liked it.

Historical fiction is not a genre i have read much.  The events described were of course familiar - i think every child in England learns about Harold Godwinson and Norman the Conqueror.  So i knew roughly how the story was going to end, and the pleasure was in Alder's telling of it.  The book follows the perspective of Evyn, a character of Alder's own invention, but Harold Godwinson is prominent, portrayed here as selfless and heroic.  This is a story of war, a struggle of good against evil, and of tragedy.

Perhaps as a consequence of coming at this immediately after the metafiction of Elizabeth Costello, the predicament of Evyn, a young storyteller who, at the end of the first chapter, is attacked and has his tongue cut out - this at a time when most people are illiterate, Evyn included, resonated strongly with me. Although The King's Shadow is a much more traditional novel, the themes of writing, speech and storytelling are prominent here, and i found that interesting.

Anyway, thank you, Aliroz, for recommending this.  i enjoyed it very much.
  • i am reading Ursula K Le Guin's The Left Hand of Darkness
  • kill living beings
    i know everyone's read foucault's pendulum but just fyi it is fucking hilarious
    It's pretty good yeah.

I should re-read it.

I also like that there's a direct stab at Da Vinci Code before Da Vinci Code was even written.