Book book book

Comments

• Although some, like The Hobbit, were kinda retconned in.  And he did write a few things outside of that universe, or at least ones that have no obvious connection to it.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    True.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Finished The Night Land.

The second half of the book wasn't as good as the first, but it was still pretty good. And it had a happy ending, which was a nice surprise

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

Also Latro In The Mist is a good book.
  • Recently finished a book called The Biggest Elvis. About a trio of Elvis impersonators working near the American base in Olongapo, Phillipines.

Interesting exploration of the impact the West has on the East, and the spiritual impact of imitation and impersonation. Romantic sub-plot was acceptable, even novel at times. Narrative switches between viewpoints, giving a number of different views of the curious situation. Ending was acceptable, but not stellar. 8.5/10. Would recommend to the Heap.
  • walter benjamin "one way street" which owns hard, mostly.
  • Vampire Lady of Corvidia

(The other Jane)

ok, read pan. think it was a bit indirect and british-gentry for me but it was alright.

i likd how nobody took "mania" seriously

I like Machen's description of the Welsh countryside
  • before that i was reading oscar wilde 'the critic as artist' which was okay but it seemed like a good 60% of it was long tedious digressions into greek mythic and renaissance figures, and he could have saved some time by cutting those and also cutting the bit where he completely dismisses offhand the possibility of one person producing worthwhile critical and artistic practice
  • i also started roberto bolano's 'the third reich' which i got remaindered in the gower street waterstones over xmas

(The other Jane)
    I'm reading "Fear and Trembling" right now

(The other Jane)
    I have learned that I am woefully unprepared for Kierkegaard and must once again backtrack to Hegel. As I am also trying to understand Marx (as I have been for years now), I really ought to get on mastering Hegel. Anyone have any advice as to how to approach this and where to look?
  • i rather want to read Fear and Trembling

it is rather low on the list of things I need to read though

after Idoru I think I'll tackle the Collected Works of William Blake that I got for christmas
  • After that I've got Queer, an anthology of beat poetry and I'll finish up Borges' collected fictions

Then I should go re-tackle Godel Escher Bach and House of Leaves
  • Borges is really good, so is house of leaves

beat poetry is very variable, who's in it?
    Either/Or is easier as far as Kiekegaard goes.
  • sunn wolf said:

Borges is really good, so is house of leaves

beat poetry is very variable, who's in it?

Gregory Corso, Kerouac, Neal Cassady, Ginsberg, Peter Orlovsky, Diane Di Prima, John Wieners, Burroughs, Amiri Baraka, Lawrence Ferlinhetti, Joanne Kyger, Lew Welch, Lenore Kandel, Philip Whalen, Bob Kaufman, Michael McClure & Gary Snyder

It's curated by Anne Waldman
  • it's not all poetry, and features biographies of each of the writers written by Anne in addition to explorations of places that were important in the development of the Beat movement
    that basically looks like a Who's Who of Beatness
  • p much, i was never a fan of kerouac but ginsberg and amiri baraka and particularly Corso are real real good
  • i am reading fatima mernissi 'the harem within' which is also sometimes called 'dreams of trespass' it is a good book (this term im taking a unit on women writers from the islamic world because i wanted to study/read some stuff that is way off my middle class white boy radar)
  • reading andre breton "nadja" in which andre breton develops a weird obsession with a woman who has some kind of mental issue
  • i finished all the books i mentioned before. the bolano was my fav.
  • i have Bolano's Tres now
    I am reading Soldier of the Mist.

It is about an Italian mercenary in Ancient Greece who recieves a head injury that lets him see gods, but gives him no long-term memory.

It is P. Good.
  • i am reading sartre's "nausea". so far he highlight is roquentin talking about how much he loves picking used toilet paper up off the ground and tearing it up and how he wants to eat it aswell but his girlfriend wont let him
    "nausea" sounds like a good title for that.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Corvidium said:

ok, read pan. think it was a bit indirect and british-gentry for me but it was alright.

i likd how nobody took "mania" seriously

I like Machen's description of the Welsh countryside

The bit with the drawing in the abandoned house is still disturbing to me because I can at once easily imagine being in that position and yet really not want to at the same time. It is a perfect little slice of nightmare.
  • kill living beings
    in my professional opinion that sartre thing sounds super grody
    Well, yeah. Genet is like that too, but in a different way.

For the record I actually like Genet.
  • so far i do not like this book. the toilet paper part is the only good bit so far imo.
    maybe there will be more grossout stuff, you never know.
  • kill living beings
    i may never have wanted to read a book less than in this moment
  • i may never have wanted to read a book less than in this moment

• the only thing i liked by sartre was this essay Why Write? on the way that the reader of a text and an author interact through the medium, everything else has been a boring slog

tho to be fair that essay has strongly shaped how i view art and stuff so i guess i'll give him a pass
  • roquentin is now describing a dream he had where he was a soldier and spanked some guy until he started bleeding and then put a bunch of flowers in his ass. im intrigued again now.
    now that's more like it!
    naney said:

the only thing i liked by sartre was this essay Why Write? on the way that the reader of a text and an author interact through the medium, everything else has been a boring slog

tho to be fair that essay has strongly shaped how i view art and stuff so i guess i'll give him a pass

I liked No Exit.

(The other Jane)

naney said:

the only thing i liked by sartre was this essay Why Write? on the way that the reader of a text and an author interact through the medium, everything else has been a boring slog

I liked No Exit.
    That was a nice play. Generally I think Sartre is less interesting as a writer than as a philosopher
    I read The Unbearable Lightness of Being.

I liked it fine.
    some people don't like the "this is a story but also a bunch of philosophical essays" style of that book.

I am not one of those people.
  • reading 'the bastard of istanbul' by elif shafak, which i initially thought was a good book ruined by a poor translation, but it turns out was originally written in english, so now i am not sure what to think
  • you should rewrite it
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    The Bastards of Istanbul, Translated from English to English by Sunn Wolf.
  • Panurge said:
    im gonna make my own socrates with communism and hookers
  • naney said:

you should rewrite it

summer project
  • im rereading Pale Fire by nabokov which is still like one of the best novels ever written, for srs owns so hard
  • nabokov is a boss