Derived Energy

edited 2012-04-27 17:24:04 in General

Comments

• This is the best.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    What point is he trying to make? I honestly couldn't tell from the video itself.

I think the related videos section gave more clues than anything. Most of them have to do with antinatalism and creation vs. evolution.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4TtETmN_Z8&feature=plcp

It's like An Epistemologists Nightmare as written by a 12-year old
  • edited 2012-04-27 18:07:44
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    A bit off-topic, but has anyone ever noticed that in "niche" YouTube videos like these, most if not all of the comments seem to wholeheartedly agree with the author? I get the feeling that if more people watched these videos, this would not be the case.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    They do seem a little echo chamber.

I couldn't actually watch the video, I took one look at his stupid hat it seemed like he had taped to his head and thought, "lol, nope!" 
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    From the author comments:

No and feelings of friendship are just byproducts of chemical activity in the brain

This again? Really?
    ^ My thoughts exactly.
  • TUMUT CREW REPRESENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tumut
    Origin of Life = teabag
  • It's 4:20 somewhere.
    My Little Pony: Friendship is Chemicals.
  • edited 2012-04-28 14:38:44
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Ahhh, Antinatalism.

I've already violated its tenets by reproducing.

And I'm probably going to do it some more!

I'm baffled at how to parse that second sentence if I don't allow for typos.

I mean, I get what you're saying, though.

Look again! The typos are now fixed.  Anything is possible when your man smells like old spice and not a lady when one uses the edit function.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEM4kkd78_k&feature=plcp Beep boop Ronnie the Antinatalist Robot does not understand this primitive emotion you hu-mans call beauty beep boop.

What I never get about these dudes is that if they think everything is just random chemicals creating some sort of pointless existence, wouldn't that include their ramblings and doing stupid shit like taping things to your forehead and posting it on YouTube? 
    ^^^B...but... those were glorious typos... Anyway, you missed one, and I'm not saying what it was.

O'RLY?!
  • edited 2012-04-28 14:41:32
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    >What I never get about these dudes is that if they think everything is just random chemicals creating some sort of pointless existence, wouldn't that include their ramblings and doing stupid shit like taping things to your forehead and posting it on YouTube? 

Oh, I think he believes that, and really hates it.  He tends to hate most things.

Derived Energy would be slightly less exasperating if he stopped listening to the echo chamber that is the online antinatalist community and stopped assuming that everyone who disagreed with him was a mindless puppet.  This won't happen because Derived Energy is also incredibly dense and convinced of his own correctness, possibly due in part to projecting his own negative experiences onto the whole of humanity.

>Look again! The typos are now fixed.
    >
    I've already violated
     its tenants

Well no wonder they're so upset, then!
  • edited 2012-04-28 14:44:31

I ninja edited you. :P

But that is a great typo.

Actually, violating antinatalists so they have children is probably a decent premise for a hentai doujinshi, or something.

Though, they're mostly guys, so they'd have to be gender swapped, first.

...why did I just type that?

OH WAIT! BECAUSE I HAVE CHEMICALS AND COULDN'T HELP IT!

Anyway...

"Derived Energy would be slightly less exasperating if he stopped listening to the echo chamber that is the online antinatalist community and stopped assuming that everyone who disagreed with him was a mindless puppet.  This won't happen because Derived Energy is also incredibly dense and convinced of his own correctness, possibly due in part to projecting his own negative experiences onto the whole of humanity."

This is the crux of why I don't like this line of thinking.

The whole of humanity is just mindless automatons spouting nonsense
    A human wrote the above.
    Ergo, this syllogism is nonsense.

It's a line of thought that defeats itself, and yet these people hold onto the notion that human existence should end with both hands.
  • I know dead men who have more will to live than these guys do.
    I gave up on the antinatalist community when they decided to choose a theme song and chose some Polish Death Metal thing instead of David Bowie's We are Hungry Men or Tom Wait's Misery's the River of the World

...If you where a community of people who hated humanity and everything it represents, why would you pick ANY music?!

I swear, it's like watching some horrible train wreck that people keep sending trains into.

• Deciding to choose a theme song for your philosophical group is totally normal and not at all retarded.
    "I swear, it's like watching some horrible train wreck that people keep sending trains into.

Which ironically, is how antinatalists view the human condition!
  • edited 2012-04-28 16:38:57

Well, they're a byproduct of it.

If the grisly train-wreck metaphor works...then go get hit by a train...or something.
    But guys Derived Energy says "If not X (sentience) then not Y (deprivation) and not Z (suffering)." and you can't think of a counterargument to that can you? Of course you can't, because Derived Energy's imagination defines the absolute limits of reason.
  • I can think of a counterargument:

"go fuck yourself, you stupid moron."
  • The Antinatalist Theme

• I gave up on the antinatalist community when they decided to choose a theme song and chose some Polish Death Metal thing

These dudes?

That song makes me not want to have been born.
  • That's not Death Metal!
    I don't know a lot about metal.
  • The best possible Antinatalist Anthem.

• Nihilism, Emptiness, Nothingness And Nonsense

"But guys Derived Energy says "If not X (sentience) then not Y (deprivation) and not Z (suffering)." and you can't think of a counterargument to that can you? Of course you can't, because Derived Energy's imagination defines the absolute limits of reason."

Of course, this assumes that the positive aspects of life could not outshine the downsides. If one rejects that notion, then we have less of a logical theorem and more of something that could be dismissed by a quote from The Dude.
    http://saynotolife.blogspot.com/2012/04/happy-atheists.html

WHY CAN'T YOU ASSHOLES BE AS MISERABLE AS I AM

God, I can't believe I used to take this shit seriously
  • So Justice, what you're saying is

the Dude does not abide?

Man, assuming that one needs to be a dour sourpuss to subscribe to certain ideas really hurts the marketability of those ideas.
  • edited 2012-04-28 19:25:27
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    ^^^ I am disappointed but not surprised in the least that not a single one of those comments raises a word of disagreement.

I mean, I like it when people agree with me, don't get me wrong. But this seems a little excessive. The fact that I do disagree with them doesn't help much, of course.
    There was a time when most antinatalists debates happened on blogs and comments sections and the antinatalist side tried very hard to be polite and gracious, because they were fully aware of how ridiculous they sounded. They contended themselves with quietly reading Ligotti and looking for allies among the religious, as the mostly optimistic atheist community had spurned them.

And thus passed the First Age of Internet Antinatalism

http://encyclopediadramatica.se/Inmendham Then came Inmendham and suddenly the opposition were "fucktarded DNA borg" No longer would Antinatalists have to practice the basic human decency. Now they could hole up in their little echo chambers and whine endlessly about how depraved and evil those life lovers were while watching the fourth three hour youtube video Inmendham has made this week. Antinatalism now had new names: "Efilism" and "Atheism 2.0". A new era is upon us.

Third age starts when Inmendham first falls to the Last Alliance of Elves and Men.
    God I hope so.
    Though Nihilistic may suffice, I think a better label would be Pessimistic. Let me explain the validity of this point of view: Life does not have any purpose or teleology. Though Camus' philosophy has aspects of truth, he ignores or bypasses the reality of our human condition. In a way, Camus characters in his novels, as well as "The Dude" from The Big Lebowski (which is a representation of the absurd man in Camus' universe, in my opinion) are rare and circumstantial cases. In reality, most modern humans must do the drudgery of working a job in an institution or bueracracy. We have to deal with life's trivialities and boring tasks (daily life) and repeat this over and over again to maintain our social and personal well-being. That being said, I believe its all well and good to imagine ourselves as these free people that have the "choice" to revolt against the absurd (ala Camus), but in reality we are condemned to be limited in very real ways due to our inherent need to survive and keep ourselves entertained and comfortable. In my opinion, that is where Camus and other Existentialists get it wrong. 

Our world is much more constructed, or structured than Camus would make you think. We have inherent needs and wants as well as culturally constructed needs and wants that we cannot so readily escape as The Dude or Camus' Absurd Man would make you believe. Not everyone can be the actor, not everyone can be Don Juan (absurd characters that Camus prescribes us to emulate). These are characters of fiction, and rarely apply to our reality. Do not get sucked into this idea that you can "construct your own reality of meaning" and "embrace the absurdity of existence". That is false; our common sense experiential knoweldge of daily life tells us this. This is not a fantasy land, I'm sorry; there are certain realities we MUST face that are not pleasant and not what we would CHOOSE to do. The whimisical "freedom" that Existentialists propose, in reality, is fiction, and not applicable to real life. In other words, it is not a prescription for the inherent "meaninglessness" and "mundaneness" of daily life. 

This all leads to one conclusion: We must not procreate. Procreation is what leads to this condition that we are in in the first place. A future generation can be spared this purposeless, mundane, daily life. Yes, SOME happiness abounds, and SOME coping techniques are available to deal with unpleasanteness of life. In general, however, we can avoid this whole purposeless, harmful, mundane life by not being born in the first place. For us, it is too late. However, you can contribute to easing future suffering by simply choosing to not have children. That is my solution to Nihilism. I guess this is Pessimism at its finest and most right. 
  • edited 2012-04-29 10:38:17
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Oh man, I remember when Myr linked to that one antinatalist who compared procreation to the Holocaust. :P This isn't quite as bad, but God damn do these people piss me off. Just because some people abuse the system by having 10 kids with no way to support them, doesn't mean that no one should ever have children. 

If you're relatively sure you can provide for a child and give them love and comfort, if you're okay with being a caretaker and a companion and a shoulder to cry on (and if you've been a good friend and romantic partner in general, all of those things should be pretty familiar), then having one or two children (or even adopting a few, if you're so inclined) is no big deal. Just one more good friend to look after, that's all. :) 

But to hear these people talk about it, they sound like the childfree people back on LJ in the 2000s. UGH I HATE BABIES KILL THEM ALL AND CASTRATE THEIR PIG MOMS RAR, that sort of awful shit. It's puerile nonsense from people who never got past the morbid phase of adolescence. 

If they want to do something helpful, they could support Zero Population Growth or Planned Parenthood or possibly even one of the many environmental and charitable organizations that help impoverished children. But no, complaining is more fun! :P
    I'm not gonna lie.

I quoted that just for the bit about The Dude.
  • Quoting Camus and The Coen Brothers and implying they're equally valid sources?

LOOKS LIKE TROPER.
This discussion has been closed.