Anime

Comments

• image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    First episode of Kiznaiver (Trigger's new full length anime) was good. Also the main character is a dork.
  • I dunno why the same guys that already own and profit off of Attack on Titan are making an Attack on Titan knockoff.

It looks really cool, though.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    So there's apparently this popular anime commentator known as Digibro/DigiDoesAnime, as I've found out over the past... three days? Just at a glance, I don't like him. His making an episode for each episode of Asterisk strikes me as needlessly grabby for attention (although a glance at his first episode for that mentions hate-watching and the like so shrug), but that's the more minor part. I struggle to understand why you need 14 minutes to explain in detail why Asterisk is bad, or nearly an hour total to go over both of the final episodes for Chivalry of a Failed Knight and Asterisk. And if I'm being honest this is pretty colored by how much of a, well, waste of time a lot of video commentators have been in my experience, with their 30+ minute long videos or definitely not getting to the point or not being as singularly focused as I'd expect, or whatever.

Maybe I'll change my thoughts when I listen to his Asterisk videos or similar (being fair, like six minutes of the first episode were a response to various answers and anything but the show), that'd be cool.

Or rather, I hope it's worth the time that could have been spend watching or listening to other stuff.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    The Chivalry of a Failed Knight one actually just covers the whole series and why he feels like it works where The Asterisk War fails to live up to the same (admittedly boilerplate/cliché) premise—in other words, the difference between an above-average show with some great moments and a really, really bad one with the same control conditions. I haven't seen the other episodes on the latter, though, as I haven't been bored enough lately to resort to watching several hours of riffing, but I get the sense that it's less an episode-by-episode breakdown than a series of discussions of particular issues springing from events in each episode.

I like the guy's more positive work. His enthusiasm and earnestness is charming. But he has *really* strong opinions and tends to title his videos in very blunt ways as a warning to people who might be taken aback. (And most of the more extensive negative stuff, if I'm not mistaken, was in response to some folks going, "You talk a lot about stuff you like... but what *don't* you like?" The response being, "Wellllll..." *video essays ensue*)
  • edited 2016-04-10 22:03:37
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...

The Chivalry of a Failed Knight one actually just covers the whole series and why he feels like it works where The Asterisk War fails to live up to the same (admittedly boilerplate/cliché) premise—in other words, the difference between an above-average show with some great moments and a really, really bad one with the same control conditions. I haven't seen the other episodes on the latter, though, as I haven't been bored enough lately to resort to watching several hours of riffing, but I get the sense that it's less an episode-by-episode breakdown than a series of discussions of particular issues springing from events in each episode.

I like the guy's more positive work. His enthusiasm and earnestness is charming. But he has *really* strong opinions and tends to title his videos in very blunt ways as a warning to people who might be taken aback. (And most of the more extensive negative stuff, if I'm not mistaken, was in response to some folks going, "You talk a lot about stuff you like... but what *don't* you like?" The response being, "Wellllll..." *video essays ensue*)
    Well that's something I'm more inclined to get behind, then. I'll definitely check them out in due time since Chivalry and Asterisk both interest me, but they're not high on the list yet.

I like the guy's more positive work. His enthusiasm and earnestness is charming. But he has *really* strong opinions and tends to title his videos in very blunt ways as a warning to people who might be taken aback.
    I suppose the thing to me, here, is how I've rarely seen any meaningful differences between those that title their videos in ways like that for that reason and those that are just trying to be the loudest in the room. Not that I'm not taking you at your word, but they blend together, and for some new rando I'm already not inclined to give BOFD for precisely that reason.

(And most of the more extensive negative stuff, if I'm not mistaken, was in response to some folks going, "You talk a lot about stuff you like... but what *don't* you like?" The response being, "Wellllll..." *video essays ensue*)
    Also fair, I guess. I mostly predisposed against videos that run on the longer end of things, though not due to finding them inherently valueless.
    I have Chivalry downloaded, alongside multiple other shows, hurrah. Not sure when I'll get to it though.
  • Digibro is great when he's tearing into the terribleness of SAO.
  • On another note: I've heard it said that if .hack//SIGN were released today, it'd be seen as a super deep, genre-defining deconstruction of trapped-in-MMO anime. Like how NGE was seen as a deep deconstruction of mecha.
  • kill living beings
    i remember reading something at some point saying that early examples of a genre tended to be like that because they necessarily handle questions that are not yet conventionally not dealt with. (then i stopped taking the concept seriously)
  • I was gonna ask how many of those shows there really were and then I realized I could name two offhand, so there's probably at least 40.
  • You mean how like Astro Boy was actually really dark and cynical compared to its imitators?
  • edited 2016-04-12 05:45:44
    kill living beings
    maybe. i think tezuka was just that kinda dude, tho. practically everything he did had some crazy dark backstory at least
  • Yeah, what Tezuka made was not kids' stuff.
  • kill living beings
    now i didn't say that
  • I was agreeing!
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    didn't he used to be a doctor and then made a series about how the japanese medical system is shit
  • kill living beings
    he got an MD but i don't know if he actually practised. i don't think he made a manga like that, but the ubiquity of Black Jack means there is such a manga by someone else with "Black Jack" in the title
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    no, i heard black jack was at least in part about japan's hospitals sucking
  • edited 2016-04-12 06:55:45
    Main girl for Flying Witch is a dork.
  • kill living beings
    maybe a bit, but it also has moe psychic tumors, so
  • maybe a bit, but it also has moe psychic tumors, so

i need to know more
  • So watched Part 4 of Jojo.

It's sooo Duwang~
    Jane said:

I was gonna ask how many of those shows there really were and then I realized I could name two offhand, so there's probably at least 40.

The thing about genre conventions is that they develop with time, with refinements of an unstable formula turning slowly into base assumptions.

For example: Look at early shounen action series and you realise that something like Hunter x Hunter is really just a return to older standards, if a knowing one; and then consider in turn how long *that* series has been around and you realise that many of the tropes it seems to be dissecting or subverting were tropes that it pioneered which got watered down over time or, more interestingly, began from that place but became commentary on contemporary uses of superficially similar ideas.
  • My dreams exceed my real life

i remember reading something at some point saying that early examples of a genre tended to be like that because they necessarily handle questions that are not yet conventionally not dealt with. (then i stopped taking the concept seriously)

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UnbuiltTrope
    Odradek said:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UnbuiltTrope
    I was gonna mention that but decided against it because of people's obvious mixed feelings about TVT. That said, it is definitely an extant metanarrative... thing. It's A Thing.
  • Extant Metanarrative is my new prog-rock band. Our lyrics are exclusively excerpts from Finnegan's Wake.
    So The Mars Volta, but more so.
  • I also dislike how Digibro takes influence from fucking Red Letter Media of all people when it comes to humor. At least GoatJesus makes it explicit that he's making fun of them and thinks they're gross.
  • kill living beings

maybe a bit, but it also has moe psychic tumors, so

i need to know more
    Wikipedia said:

Pinoko is Black Jack's loyal assistant/surrogate daughter, who was actually a Teratogenous Cystoma (a growth more commonly known as a teratoma). As seen in Volume 1 Chapter 3: "Teratogenous Cystoma", she was a rare type of parasitic twin, living in one of Black Jack's patients' bodies for eighteen years until Black Jack extracted her and gave her a real body. He constructed her from the mass of organs included in the growth and provided her a plastic exoskeleton that gives her the appearance of a human child (around 7 or 8 years).

Before Black Jack extracted her from her twin, she telepathically talked to him. That is why, in Volume 13 Chapter 4: "Teratoid Cystoma, Part 2", she was able to talk to a teratoid cystoma in a patient in her sleep.

Are you thinking of Say Hello To Black Jack

i need to know more
    Wikipedia said:

Pinoko is Black Jack's loyal assistant/surrogate daughter, who was actually a Teratogenous Cystoma (a growth more commonly known as a teratoma). As seen in Volume 1 Chapter 3: "Teratogenous Cystoma", she was a rare type of parasitic twin, living in one of Black Jack's patients' bodies for eighteen years until Black Jack extracted her and gave her a real body. He constructed her from the mass of organs included in the growth and provided her a plastic exoskeleton that gives her the appearance of a human child (around 7 or 8 years).

Before Black Jack extracted her from her twin, she telepathically talked to him. That is why, in Volume 13 Chapter 4: "Teratoid Cystoma, Part 2", she was able to talk to a teratoid cystoma in a patient in her sleep.

/)OwO(\

Crystal said:

I recommend Flying Witch. It's a sweet, cozy show with pleasant characters. Makoto is a witch who is moving in with her cousin until she finishes high school on her parent's request, a bit on the slow side but also not an airhead, which is pretty pleasant far as the sliding scale of MC intelligence and dumbness goes (looking at you Fry and Arararararagi). Plus everything is happening in the countryside, which for me is a nice change of place from all of the magic taking place in the city. Both Makoto and her cousin Kei are new to voice acting it looks like, but do a decent job so far. It can also get a little slow at times, though I think the moments where nothing happens are a fine enough translation from the comic (which I would also recommend). Of course, it's not all new folks, since Yuka Iguchi is a familiar name for me, but eh.

Anyway, it's cute, do recommend.
  • LWLW
    edited 2016-04-13 00:48:22

So...why is one of HeartCatch Precure's ending themes anime gospel music? Would most Japanese kids have even heard gospel music before?
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    God, I still need to get into Tezuka

I'm such a casual >_<

i need to know more
    Wikipedia said:

/)OwO(\
    I have seen this character before!

she is cited as one of the design influences for Mako from Kill La Kill.
    Naney likes small anime children named after Pinocchio
    Also Jane's recommendation of Teekyu is good if you like ultra-fast-paced tomfoolery with likable if weird girls.
  • Crystal said:

Also Jane's recommendation of Teekyu is good if you like ultra-fast-paced tomfoolery with likable if weird girls.

Teekyu is all.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    how many of you have watched Osomatsu-san
    Odradek said:

Naney likes small anime children named after Pinocchio

Naney's heart melts over wee cute characters in general. Depending on the context it is either identification or maternal instinct.
    Just watching the OP for Sakamoto desu ga? has confirmed to me that it isn't my show, at least now for this season, and that's nice. Maybe the manga will be more fun, when I get to it.
    Hey, that's the one with the portly bishounen dude!

Not particularly interested in the show, but that's an interesting detail.
  • edited 2016-04-13 06:51:13
    Looks nice too.

Space Patrol Luluco, on the other hand, I'm definitely keeping up to date with after this charming first episode.
    Soooo getting on that when the beau gets here.
    Also, brief topic change, but I recently watched a really old shounen-ai OVA, Kaze to Ki no Uta. I mean really old. The film was made in '87 but the comic it's based on—which actually is really well-regarded in shoujo manga circles—ran from 1976 to 1984 and the author first sketched out the story in the mid-'60s but tabled it for nine years because she thought it couldn't be published.

It was...

So, the direction was really, really good despite the clearly skimpy budget. The guy behind it had done this Greco-Roman fantasy film called Arion the year before, and apparently it's one of those hidden gems where the three people who've seen it consider it GOAT material. So it's all edited and structured with remarkable taste and some fairly striking cinematography, here and there verging into the experimental. The art style is veeeeerrrry '70s shoujo, so the two leads look like takurazuka actors playing dudes more than actual dudes—the lead, Serge, looks a bit like Hitomi from Escaflowne, while Gilbert, the fucked-up masochistic male femme fatale, reminds me quite uncannily of another female character, but who is escaping me, but at least it's easy on the eyes and amusingly camp. And the backgrounds are very pretty, if occasionally anachronistic in very weird ways.

The plot is another matter. Which is to say, it's non-stop melodrama, with a few really effective character moments but mostly hilarious when not uncomfortable or, uhhh, uncomfortably hilarious. But it does get progressively better as it goes on, until... it just ends. Right at the hour mark. "Go read the manga, bitches." Oh, up yours, show.
  • edited 2016-04-16 17:12:39
    kill living beings
    No one has ever volunteered to join the Space Patrol before.

I can only infer that this means that OVER JUSTICE was, against all understanding, forced into this