Anime

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
    That got way more vulgar than it should have because I somehow thought this was the NSFW thread
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Netorare is sort of its own subgenre, so I get why it's used, but "cuckolding" does describe the premise of that cliché fairly well. Kemonomimi, though, refers to the animal ear thing, which doesn't have a clean translation that I can think of. Like, kemono (literally, beasts) is basically just "animal-people," or "furry," in some contexts, but kemonomimi is at once immediately recognisable (catgirls, etc.) but very, very Japanese.
  • edited 2016-03-26 02:08:05
    kill living beings
    i'm fond of a few japanese words that could be easily translated. like kwaidan, because it sounds funny and "kw" is pretty weird

it's basically the whole premise of koyomimonogatari so i pick it out every time the subs say "ghost story" or "story about an oddity" or something

kwaidan kwaidan kwaidan

though it's actually kaidan
  • NTR is actually different than cuckolding in several small ways.

i'm fond of a few japanese words that could be easily translated. like kwaidan, because it sounds funny and "kw" is pretty weird

it's basically the whole premise of koyomimonogatari so i pick it out every time the subs say "ghost story" or "story about an oddity" or something

kwaidan kwaidan kwaidan

though it's actually kaidan

bSBt12LjqadxxIYaQSSZFatPVYb.jpg
    Interestingly, a number of accents/dialects in Hokkaido preserve the kw-/gw- from Chinese loanwords in day-to-day speech. Strictly speaking, the standard modern form is kaidan, but everyone knows the traditional pronunciation is kwaidan, so it shows up like that in more archaic or stylised contexts.

Other parts of the north preserve the distinction between normal long o and long o derived from au, which is closer to English aw in Classical Japanese. Also, Kansai-ben distinguishes the component vowels in ei.
  • kill living beings
    ayyyyy
    Strangely, people with a strong Tokyo accent pronounce words like sugoi as sugee; Osaka-ben is the precise opposite in tendency.
  • kill living beings
    ok galko has mostly just been gags, but this reveal that they've been using codenames the entire time... the drama. the pathos. my god.
  • kill living beings
    see you space weeb
  • kill living beings
    drrr

welp

welp

welllllp

weeeeelp

welp welp welp

#welp

how do i stop my mom from becoming anime
  • you cannot stop what has begun
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    my mom really liked Pocky for a while, does that count
    My mom has prints of cels from Ghibli movies, so she's already pretty anime.

On a different note, I'm conflicted about watching Grimgar. On the one hand, the comedy and fanservice bits sound deeply irritating, and the high fantasy schtick bland, but on the other, the art is pretty and the animation itself, from what I've seen, has moments of truly stunning beauty. And it's all in little things, like the way a character's fingers move. Those little movements were amazing. On top of that, the more dramatic side of the show sounds very much my speed. So I'm slightly annoyed.
  • kill living beings
    i watched a couple episodes but stopped, because there was like ten minutes of scenes of grieving for a character who had hardly been introduced, that didn't really add anything to the characters

which i'm going to call a pacing issue
    Could be worse.

Anyway, there are quite a few shows from last year and the beginning of this year that I haven't gotten to which seem interesting in one way or another, several confirmed as Pretty Darned Good but a few of which are more dubious.

Or are Konosuba, which is apparently in both categories.
    By the way, the director of Death Note and the head writer of Code Geass are making a steampunk anime involving iron trains crossing zombie-infested wastelands. Which I guess is the logical product of such a meeting of minds.

Thought y'all should know.
  • edited 2016-03-27 22:04:41
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Shows I will be checking out, or am at least curious about: JJBA Part 4 (naturally), Asterisk S2 (good filler), aforementioned Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress (for precisely the reasons Vash mentioned), Sakamoto desu ga? (filler but humorous), F/SN Heaven's Feel and Fate/Extra: Last Encore (obvious), Uchuu Patrol Luco (if I hear good word from Section), ReLIFE, FLCL Second Season (also unsurprising). Also Kantai Collection: KanColle Zoku-hen should I watch the first series in time. I see there's another Madoka thing too, apparently, so...
  • edited 2016-03-27 22:13:12
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Apparently Hiroshi Hamasaki of Shigurui/Texhnolyze/Steins;Gate notoriety is directing a romantic drama involving time travel entitled Orange, so I'm on that pre-emptively. As for other upcoming shows, aside from several you've already mentioned, I feel like Flying Witch and Mayoiga both have serious potential, although Deko Akao and Mari Okada are both... something. And while I feel like the plot of Flying Witch really plays to Akao's strong suits, at the very least, Mayoiga could be anywhere from amazing to a complete trainwreck.
  • edited 2016-03-27 22:17:23
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Never took you for a Kankle fan. So who's your favorite boatgirl, Vash?

Also while I'm into what I've seen of Hamasaki, Orange, from the little I've heard... sounds uninteresting.
    I'm not, although the fan art can be cute. I was mainly talking about JJBA, Luluco, the second FLCL, maybe the next Fate series should I ever get around to the first two...
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I mostly co-sign Vash on this, and I also have to add Yuri on Ice because Sayo Yamamoto.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Ah, right. Also Yuri on Ice, again depending on what Section says.

And yeah it can get super cute. Squee
  • By the way, the director of Death Note and the head writer of Code Geass are making a steampunk anime involving iron trains crossing zombie-infested wastelands. Which I guess is the logical product of such a meeting of minds.

0% chance I will not be watching this
  • edited 2016-03-27 23:08:21
    fight. dream. horse. love.
    Jane said:

By the way, the director of Death Note and the head writer of Code Geass are making a steampunk anime involving iron trains crossing zombie-infested wastelands. Which I guess is the logical product of such a meeting of minds.

• kill living beings
    i can't believe gundam is fucking dead.
    So, the last three episodes of Neon Genesis Evangelion are remarkably frustrating and really should have been, like, nine episodes, about half of which should have provided the build up to the end of "Knockin' On Heaven's Door", because Kaworu was great but everything that happened with him went way, way too fast and clearly happened over a time-scale that the rest of the show would have spent at least five episodes on.

That said, episodes 18-23 were pretty much perfect, particularly the flashback episode and that notorious thing with Asuka which... I knew it was going to happen, but holy fucking shit. But that only makes how rushed the end was more frustrating. Hell, 24 was non-stop great moments, but there was just so little breathing room.

Welp, End of Evangelion is gonna be something.
  • kill living beings
    i still love komm susser tod despite not being nearly as suicidal as when i first heard it

that whole sequence is so... adjective
  • imma watch Ergo Proxy some tomorrow i guess
  • Jane said:

It looks like an Attack on Titan ripoff...
  • otoh it's made by much more interesting people

so you could think of it as an Attack on Titan facelift
  • meow meow meowtherfuckers

I mostly co-sign Vash on this, and I also have to add Yuri on Ice because Sayo Yamamoto.

not only did they make a sports anime with a sport typically associated with women and feature an all-male cast 

they made a sports anime with a sport typically associated with women featuring an all-male cast and called it yuri on ice

the disappointment 
    That said, Sayo Yamamoto is actually a woman, and a brilliant director to whit. So who knows.
    Alduin said:

Jane said:

It looks like an Attack on Titan ripoff...
    It's being directed by the same guy and it honestly sound at least a few degrees more intriguing, if only because Okouchi is the show runner and he's way out there.

imma watch Ergo Proxy some tomorrow i guess

Why?
  • https://heapershangout.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/774406/#Comment_774406

starting here and continuing onto the next page PLUS

this adorable robot child with no arms
  • Speaking of things anime people are doing, that guy and Hideaki Anno are teaming up to make the new Godzilla movie.

FUCK YEAH
  • meow meow meowtherfuckers
    ^^^ no yeah, michiko to hatchin is great

i was still saddened
  • kill living beings
    shouldn't that be "Free on ice"
    ^^^^ OK, yeah, shit, I should watch this, too. I've heard it can be ham-fisted, but a lot of people I really respect loved it, so maybe I should stop being a scrub and see if it's worth it.

^^^ Yup.

Incidental NGE note: Kaworu/Shinji, für Immer.
  • does it even count as a ship if it's canon
  • kill living beings
    there's this whole thing where Actually kaworu only acts like that because shinji is a proxy fo rhumanity in general

but like whate verrrrrrrrrr
  • It's pretty canon. It's very obvious that Shinji is attracted to Kaworu.
    Yeah, Kaworu may see Shinji as The Human, but Shinji so blatantly wants Kaworu to jump his bones that it's just ridiculous. (And just you know with the way he interacts with Asuka that he is by no means the one doing the jumping.)
  • i started watching Ergo Proxy again, dubbed this time

the dub fixes literally everything I disliked about the subbed version, everything feels so much more nuanced and vibrant, I'm on episode 3 and I'm loving it!!!

thia partially due to the strong voice acting, but mainly due to the significantly better translation I think
    I watched the dubbed version too
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    AS's text bumps continue to be the best thing about them.
  • [adult swim] has and has had in the past some good shows.

Most of the good stuff is on Toonami tho.