Anime

Comments

• Crystal said:

I'm pretty sure teenage boys don't actually exist, bruh.

Yeah that's also true, can never underestimate the hormone powers of teenage boys.
    So basically if you're hot enough people will forgive a lot of the things you do?
  • that would be self-evident, in both real life and fictional contexts
  • Wow, that's why I get away a lot of things, then

flips hair
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    And then Alduin was literally a SHAFT anti-hero.
  • edited 2016-03-22 18:25:48
    OK, so I've been thinking about Now and Then, Here and There.

WARNING: Not only are there SPOILERS under the tag, but there's also hugely sensitive material as befits the show we're talking about. If you are Not In The Mood then do not click it.

Spoiler:
    I really don't like how it handled Sara's decision to have an abortion. Like...Shu didn't want her to have an abortion, but I don't expect a kid to have a nuanced understanding of these things. What strikes me is that Sis was actually the one that convinced Sara not to have her baby aborted. Sis, who is portrayed as the wise, moral voice of reason, gives the audience a one-dimensional view of this very complex ethical issue. This disappoints me especially since NTHT showed great care in dealing with other sensitive issues.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    yuri on ice
  • oh that's real and not just a joke that was going around twitter
    It's probably not about lesbians, FWIW.
    Sayo Yamamoto's work is still worth looking into, IMO.

She also does work gayness around the edges of her shows, too, so I wouldn't necessarily rule anything out here.
  • kill living beings
    i'm hoping it's a completely serious adaptation of the cordwainer smith novel, Atomsk
  • they actually have released some plot details

and despite looking like a fanfic summary because Jason DeMarco wrote it, it's promising in some ways.

Kinda troubling in others, but, y'know.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I'm looking forward to FLCL2: Electric Boogaloo, so I'm not reading anything and just staying pumped.
  • edited 2016-03-25 01:02:16
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    I'm also fairly hyped despite my reservations, and will read your rant in a little bit.
  • it's a really barebones plot summary and I imagine these things will be addressed in like, Episode 1, Part 1.
    I've read your rant, and I admit I should probably back up and calm down.

All I'll say at the moment is that I'm pretty nervouscited for this.
  • flcl just never struck me as something that needed a sequel

like I could easily imagine it being good but, why does it exist

idk I liked flcl but it didn't really change my life or anything so I suppose I'm not the target audience
  • It doesn't need one, but, most things don't.

If the summary is any indication it's not really a sequel in the usual sense of following the original series immediately after, it's set many years later and seems to mostly star a new cast.

Anyway, I just wish people would stop acting like it's going to burn their DVDs of the original or some shit. People are being waaaaaaaaaaay hyperbolic.
  • edited 2016-03-25 01:19:02

Jane said:

If the summary is any indication it's not really a sequel in the usual sense of following the original series immediately after, it's set many years later and seems to mostly star a new cast.

these are the best kind of sequel imo
  • kill living beings
    gainax did that with diebuster too. and it was good.
  • I mean like I'm not saying it will be good, it might be the worst thing ever made, but it's two years off!
  • Yeah I mean you're right and I don't really see any reason to get upset about it. I might watch it if people say it's good, otherwise I'll just ignore it.
  • also half the reason people are so mad is that it's a collaboration between IG and Toonami.

So they perceive this as IG cynically trying to snag a western audience.

Which I dunno

there are better IPs than FLCL for that.
    Frankly, I can't fault Jason DeMarco for doing this.

If I were in his shoes and could be allowed to write a sequel to one of my all-time favourite things, hell yes I'd do it. I'm pretty sure that most of you would, too.
  • I mean it's not solely DeMarco's doing and [as] actually tried to get a second season made like a long time ago. It's just only happening now, for reasons.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    In lieu of a ramble I typed up, my thoughts are pretty simple: I was cautiously optimistic beforehand, and getting word of The Pillows, Tsurumaki, Sadamoto, and others from the original give me hope. Likewise for the type of sequel it is (which I actually prefer).

So I'm going to just shrug it off and focus on what's coming up soon.
    Yeah, if nothing else, the fact that this is an actual sequel and not a remake like was previously indicated makes me very happy.
  • I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with it, m'self. Going to be going in with some doubt, but still, if the new stuff weren't worthy of being considered a good followup to the original by the creators themselves, I don't think it would have been bothered with in the first place.

Besides, the world needs more TV-headed robot antics.
    So Tsurumaki, Sadamoto and The Pillows are involved? What about Enokido? Because if they really are bringing the band back together than I am seriously psyched.
    As far as I can tell, Enokido is not involved in this. Tsurumaki is just a supervisor and not the actual director. Of course, it's still a good omen that he's involved in this.

I was mistaken on DeMarco writing this, it seems, although he's still pretty heavily involved in production. Interestingly enough, however, the actual writer of this continuation is still completely new to anime. The director seems fairly new to anime, too. I'm tempted to say that's actually a good thing because that means this continuation can remain avoidant of contemporary anime trends like the original was.
    But Enokido is the best at anime!
    Perhaps he'll be involved in some capacity.

We don't really know that much about it yet.
    Who's running series composition and who's directing?
    I've said already that they're both pretty new to anime.

Hideto Iwai and Katsuyuki Motohiro.
    Motohiro directed Psycho-Pass, but apparently he's mainly known as a live-action film and television director; Iwai comes from a similar background, working both as an actor and a screenwriter. So they're both film veterans, just not in anime. Interesting.
  • It's impossible for me to feel positively about this anymore because I woke up with like 30 angry replies in my reddit inbox and two PMs telling me to kill myself because I suggested that it might not be a soulless cash grab that retroactively ruins the franchise.
    It's like two years off.

Everyone will shut up if it's good. Of course, some people will whine anyway, but you shouldn't care about them.
  • I know

that's why the reaction being this strongly negative is so surprising to me.

Maybe it shouldn't be, rarely do good things happen when I post on /r/anime and it's not in the Free-Talk Fridays thread.
    I'll admit that my thoughts on this were fairly negative when I thought it was going to be a reboot, but this has the potential to actually be something worthwhile, so I'm just nervouscited at the moment.
    Jane said:

It's impossible for me to feel positively about this anymore because I woke up with like 30 angry replies in my reddit inbox and two PMs telling me to kill myself because I suggested that it might not be a soulless cash grab that retroactively ruins the franchise.

I'm trying to think of a suitably sarcastic reply to make their heads explode before you block them.
  • No, I just don't care.

I edited the original post to say that people need to chill out about cartoons and just turned off responses.

Really when dealing with these sorts of people calling anime "cartoons" is enough.
    Pfffft. True.
  • anyway we were talking about it in Skype so I just want to remind everyone that Kaede from YuruYuri is great
    Kemonomimi: The way that annoying weebs get around being called furries and yet inevitably manage to baffle more people than they ever would were they to stop kidding themselves.

I am only partly joking.
    That sounded bitter when it was meant to be tongue-in-cheek and now I think I know how Odradek feels sometimes. u~u
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Now you know how I feel when nerds say "paizuri" or "neotare" when they really mean titfucking and cuckolding
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    It's not like the Japanese invented those things, nerds.