Anime

Comments

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Well, being a literal incarnation of your namesake emotion kind of limits your capacity for pleasantry.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Oh, by the way, just for the record:

Tiger and Bunny is a phenomenal show.

It does absolutely everything right. It's really just the perfect superhero story. Go watch it now.
  • Bunny said:

Tiger and Bunny is a phenomenal show.

It does absolutely everything right. It's really just the perfect superhero story. Go watch it now.
    ...do i detect a weeeeeee bit of bias?
  • edited 2014-01-27 18:52:42
    Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Nope. I like it entirely for the show and not for any bias whatsoever.

certainly not for any shipping potential either. Nope. Not at all.

Nope. No sexuality here. Never even crossed my mind.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Thinking back to what I said about slow paced shonen stuff, I've noticed that pretty much all of my favourite series are actually really slow paced themselves. Haibane Renmei, Lain, Steins;Gate (well, the first half of it), Utena, Eve no Jikan, Kara no Kyoukai, Chihayafuru, Hourou Musuko. I dunno, it just amused me.
  • edited 2014-01-29 01:17:02
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    More half of those are things that I want to see and two are things that I saw and really liked.

Slow is generally good, if it is purposeful.
  • you know what anime is good

sherlock hound

you see, it has sherlock holmes as a corgi and the first six episodes were directed by hayao miyazaki
  • Honestly, the attempts in the first anime to humanise Tucker and Envy felt like they were trying to avoid overshadowing the loathsomeness of Pride, Kimblee and [SPOILER]. (Can't do spoilers on the mobile site, so.)

Although maybe I'm misinterpreting it and they were just trying to show how horribly petty Envy really is.

I didn't like how they made Kimblee a generic dumb muscle/Joker clone in the first anime. Part of why Kimblee was scary was that he could pretend to be a normal guy, which is how he was able to convince a lot of people to cooperate with him. 

I liked how Tucker turned himself into a bear monster accidentally. Felt like karma for what he did.

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    until i saw Brotherhood i didn't get why anyone cared about Kimblee

i don't really see that as a weakness of the first anime, though; Kimblee in the first anime is simply a minor character and not very interesting

every show has minor characters who aren't interesting
    ^^ Spoilers, dude...

I do wonder whether or not Kimblee was really a fully formed character at the time that the first show started to diverge, given his portrayal. It's more than a little wonky, really: He is shown in flashbacks as a raving lunatic, then appears suave and sinister for a bit, then deranged again.

I still love the series to bits, but that was a bit of an odd direction to go. Given their treatments of other characters, they could have taken a more nuanced approach.
    Ling makes a cameo as a random soldier in the first anime

thought that was kind of weird
    Unlikely. I mean, the first anime also had Basque Grand, genocide lover. Ishbal in general probably wasn't well elaborated on.
    Wasn't the first series' version of Basque Grand essentially a conflation of two extremely different characters? Both of whom were basically dead before anything happened? I mean, who he's the sum of is really ironic, but there aren't that many other ways that they could have played things out.
    not being familiar with the manga... what's the irony?  First anime Basque Grand is really the only one i know, since he did so little in Brotherhood
    From what I have been told about the events in the manga, Basque Grand's defining character moment involves him offing a superior for being ordered to massacre civilians. His anime counterpart is basically that superior.
    O_O

that's... i don't like that.
  • From what I have been told about the events in the manga, Basque Grand's defining character moment involves him offing a superior for being ordered to massacre civilians. His anime counterpart is basically that superior.

Yeah, that's pretty much spot on.
    Also, since I mentioned it: Everybody should watch Chihayafuru. It's wonderful.
    ^^^ Well, he's only there in, like, one scene or something, I think after the divergence point, but still, yeah.

^ I have heard as much.
  • Tachyon said:

until i saw Brotherhood i didn't get why anyone cared about Kimblee

i don't really see that as a weakness of the first anime, though; Kimblee in the first anime is simply a minor character and not very interesting

every show has minor characters who aren't interesting

Kimblee was one of the coolest villains in Brotherhood, excepting Pride and Wrath. He wasn't minor, either.

minor note: I feel conflicted on how they made Envy a hyper-competent badass who could toss heavy-hitters like Bradley and Edward around like rag dolls. Envy's whole thing in Brotherhood was that he uses his powers in tandem with easy-to-spot emotional weaknesses to make up for his lack of true skill, because he is an idiot and not very competent.

Also the Tucker thing is, like, in the first 12 episodes. Does it really count as a spoiler?
  • edited 2014-01-30 06:20:00
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Acererak said:

Kimblee was one of the coolest villains in Brotherhood, excepting Pride and Wrath. He wasn't minor, either.

i know that. But in the first anime, he was.
    Acererak said:

Also the Tucker thing is, like, in the first 12 episodes. Does it really count as a spoiler?

Depends how you define these things i guess, but it's a major plot twist in the context of the episode in which it occurs, so it certainly is possible to spoil it for someone who hasn't seen the show.

In general i think the internet is too casual about spoilers; it's very difficult to watch something truly blind unless you literally never heard of it before you sat down to see it.

Besides, 12 episodes is longer than many whole series where i come from.
    The initial bits with Tucker are in the first eight episodes, actually, although what results of them is not resolved until very near the end of the series. Even the fact that Tucker is even still alive isn't revealed until about halfway through.

imageimage

Credit where it's due to Toriko, These three pages made me laugh harder than I have in a while.

• this hasn't been posted on this page yet
    If that weren't a troll I would feel kind of sorry for that person.
  • Sooooo I watched the first episode of Beyond the Boundary. The dialogue is quite snappy and fun, and one of the main characters is a cute girl wearing a pink cardigan who fights with a sword made out of her own blood, which is hella dope. But the whole thing gave me this weird "this is someone's fetish" vibe that I could not quite place a reason for?
  • edited 2014-02-15 14:54:45
    (flower path)

Sooooo I watched the first episode of Beyond the Boundary. The dialogue is quite snappy and fun, and one of the main characters is a cute girl wearing a pink cardigan who fights with a sword made out of her own blood, which is hella dope. But the whole thing gave me this weird "this is someone's fetish" vibe that I could not quite place a reason for?

it's because the main dude was obsessed with her glasses

(i've only watched the one episode)
    So.

The Eccentric Family is not so perfectly amazing as The Tatami Galaxy, and certainly not as visually stunning, but you should see it anyway because it is a breath of fresh air and occasionally adorable without being in the least cutesy. Also, basically all of the characters are great fun even when they are kind of horrible; and even the horrible ones are believably horrible, in a way that is at least a tiny bit sympathetic.
    New Mushishi season this spring, as well as the new Yuasa show! I am pretty darn psyched.
  • kill living beings
    mushishi really? fuck yeah
  • edited 2014-02-23 03:46:14
    Yup. There was an OVA recently released that hinted that they were giving the show a second season, and they confirmed it soon after. Apparently the teaser episode in question was pretty well received, and the same studio and staff are working on it.

Never before do I think I have been more OK with saying, "This will be more of the same."
  • kill living beings
    i don't evne remember if the last episode was plotty. i mean i know there was the whole thing with the teacher and eyes and shit but... wait now i remember, the last episode was with kid gin (is that his name? whatever) on that mountain. yeah. not really sequel hinting

i guess the manga probably has more stuf
    Cool! Always room for more Urasawa stateside.
  • So that's what Kyoukai no Kanata means.  Thanks for the much more easily-remembered title.

Also, what's with there being lots of series starring ordinary guy and notably special girl (e.g. mysterious girl, or super awesome girl, or secret cyborg/alien/etc. girl, or secret deity/eldritch god/spirit deity girl, etc.)?
  • So that's what Kyoukai no Kanata means.  Thanks for the much more easily-remembered title.

Also, what's with there being lots of series starring ordinary guy and notably special girl (e.g. mysterious girl, or super awesome girl, or secret cyborg/alien/etc. girl, or secret deity/eldritch god/spirit deity girl, etc.)?

it lets dudes imagine that they'll get to meet a super awesome/mysterious/secret cyborg/alien/deity/eldritch/etc girl and go on adventures
  • and this is not even counting the stuff based on visual novels where you have a wide range of notably special girls
  • well, the male protag in knk isn't exactly normal, what with his being immortal and half spirit creature and whatnot.

but yeah generally the reason why the protagonist in fantastic stories tends to be more normal than other characters is because it makes him/her more relatable to the audience and gives them a reference point in a world of fantastic things.
  • in other news i have no clue what this anime is about but i will probably have to watch some of it and be grievously disappointed

• well, the male protag in knk isn't exactly normal, what with his being immortal and half spirit creature and whatnot.

the thing that bothers me the most about beyond the boundary is that knk refers to kara no kyoukai to me
  • edited 2014-03-30 18:12:14
    Also, there are two series abbreviated as KNK and one as KLK.  Also one as SNK, which clashes with a company called SNK.

shingeki no kill la kara no kyoukai no kanata playmore
  • edited 2014-03-30 18:14:08
    ^^^ From what I've heard about it, it is indeed as bonkers as it looks, but a lot less enjoyable than that should make it.
  • shingeki no kill la kara no kyoukai no kanata playmore

• Ehh, I've gotten sick of things trying to be interesting by being bonkers.  Western animation AND Japanese animation.

Give me some sort of serious story, please, thank you.  Even if it isn't the most epic tale ever, I'll probably appreciate it more than "hey look at me, i'm so wacky! banana goop bongos!".
    On that note, I still need to see Haibane Renmei.
  • My dreams exceed my real life