Anime

Comments

• edited 2013-11-13 16:20:13
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Been watching Soul Eater recently on a bizarre whim. Up to episode 8. Mainly I just feel sorry for Maka, since she's surrounded by idiots and crazy people. Also Tsubaki. But mostly idiots. Also feel sorry for Crona, even if their sole appearance has been trying to kill people.

On that note, the subs I'm using use "he" to refer to Crona, and it's throwing me off. I mean, I know their gender is intentionally ambiguous, but they've always looked female to me, and I guess it kinda stuck.

...And now I'm wondering if someone's own gender affects how they perceive gender-ambiguous characters.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    I liked Soul Eater for the most part.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

...And now I'm wondering if someone's own gender affects how they perceive gender-ambiguous characters.

No doubt, although background and conditioning beyond personal gender identity plays just as big a part.
  • so i guess i'll be watching Ouran High School Host Club with my sister here

how is it? good? bad?
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i've seen some of it

i enjoyed it, for the most part

I enjoyed it when I saw it many years ago.
  • so i guess i'll be watching Ouran High School Host Club with my sister here

how is it? good? bad?
    it's a harem comedy with the gender roles reversed.

I have heard that it's better than that would imply but I've never actually watched it.
  • well i have watched the first episode

it seems a bit manic for my tastes, but it has some stylistic flourishes that make up for it.
  • Tachyon said:

i've seen some of it

i enjoyed it, for the most part

same
  • the ongoing rose motif thing is reminding me of utena, which is actually making this much more amusing
  • also some of like the symbolic cutaway things like the thing with a lightbulb turning on every time someone figures out he protag is a girl, and the castle/school setting.
  • ok im gonna like say it again

Gingitsune is amazing
    i have been enjoying it

is there a new episode out?
  • im catching up right now, since my sister is out with my mom at Herberger's and while i was looking through various animes i had queued up i remembered that i had not been watching it recently due to school stuff not leaving me much time...
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    For those of you who wish to watch an older show

Space Battleship Yamato is a thoroughly fantastic anime that is well worth your time.
  • Been watching Soul Eater recently on a bizarre whim. Up to episode 8. Mainly I just feel sorry for Maka, since she's surrounded by idiots and crazy people. Also Tsubaki. But mostly idiots. Also feel sorry for Crona, even if their sole appearance has been trying to kill people.

On that note, the subs I'm using use "he" to refer to Crona, and it's throwing me off. I mean, I know their gender is intentionally ambiguous, but they've always looked female to me, and I guess it kinda stuck.

I'm a guy and I always thought of Crona as a girl...
    Bunny said:

For those of you who wish to watch an older show

Space Battleship Yamato is a thoroughly fantastic anime that is well worth your time.
    It is indeed. I haven't seen it in years and years, though...
  • For those of you who haven't yet, watch Baccano!. It's Quentin Tarantino the anime. It's basically just the best thing ever.

I can second that it is very good.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I third this motion.
    it's the best
  • i have heard some of the soundtrack
    Baccano is the next thing on my list of animu to watch
  • edited 2013-12-03 21:54:52
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

If you don't think St. Young Men is awesome, you are wrong.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    You guys know what's really good?

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.
    Acererak said:

For those of you who haven't yet, watch Baccano!. It's Quentin Tarantino the anime. It's basically just the best thing ever.

It is quite zany and gruesome. In a positive way.

Also, the dub is hilarious. In a positive way.
  • edited 2013-12-18 06:51:30
    So, watching Soul Eater and Shingeki no Kyojin has reminded me of what bugs me about shonen: The habit of dragging things out.

Let's start with Soul Eater: From episodes 7-24 is the "Kishin Revival" arc. Discounting a couple of filler episodes, this arc is about 15 episodes long. Out of these, 6 of them are dedicated to the finale, an event that, in-universe, lasts a little over an hour. Now, it's not a bad finale by any means, but 6 episodes for it is a little over the top to say the least.

SnK has the middle of the "Female Titan" arc. This lasts from episodes 17-22, and mostly involves a lot of riding around in fields and forests, and dying. Along with giving development to a few bit characters. Who then proceed to die. Nothing of note is accomplished.
    That is one of the many reasons that I generally avoid watching shounen action series.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    It is weirdly, one of the things I like about shonen. Slow pacing can make things seem more epic.

That said it can get pretty bad(see the One Piece anime).

That's why I like that they adapted Jojo's Bizarre Adventure to anime form, because given that said anime has a backlog going back to the eighties and the anime came out last year, they can go at a pace that feels more natural.
    I have nothing against slow pacing. serial experiments: lain is a very slowly paced show and I love it to bits. I do not dislike asides, either, or stories that have too many threads or characters; to the contrary, I relish them much of the time. Rather, I dislike that which is both gratuitous and dull, particularly when its sole purpose is to spread out plot points.

JoJo's is an entirely different matter.
  • SeL also does not have an episode count in the triple digits, tho.
    That is true.

But then there are shows like Monster which fly past the fifty episode mark and move along at a very brisk (if deliberate) pace.
  • edited 2013-12-17 20:35:11
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I feel like a lot of those shonen adapt by chapter-to-episode so they don't outpace the comic. And it kills the pace. What works in monthly or weekly formats doesn't usually work in TV. There's just so much wasted space, wasted time.

Which is why you shouldn't do an adaption until a story or an arc's done.
    That is precisely their problem. This is also part of the reason why I have such admiration for the first Fullmetal Alchemist adaptation: They managed to back-write an entirely different sequence of events foreshadowed from the beginning to make up for the fact that they were going to run out of material and they pulled it off.
  • edited 2013-12-17 22:47:29
    (flower path)
    I've heard that for Fullmetal Alchemist, once BONES realized they were going to catch up with the manga, they pulled in the mangaka Hiromu Arakawa, who proceeded to spoil to them the rest of the series...and then told them to do something completely different.
    That's exactly more or less how it happened.
  • Bones sucks at making endings for adaptations up though

Like, FMA's ending was kind of dumb. "Edward's...in the REAL WORLD NOW"
    i liked the ending

it was sad but i liked it
  • edited 2013-12-18 06:36:31

...I'm so fucking glad you weren't any more specific about what the ending actually is.

Seriously, FMA is one of the few things on my to-watch list that I really don't want any major spoilers for.
  • edited 2013-12-18 13:47:01
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    may count as an FMA spoiler

Spoiler:
  • edited 2013-12-26 16:38:41

PV for Stardust Crusaders. Not much to it, but more Dio voice is always nice.
    Just watched the first 7 episodes of Durarara

Good lord this is an excellent show

Better see where this goes

It is very good pretty much all the way through, and there are some nice, unexpected surprises with how things turn out.
  • edited 2013-12-31 03:52:52
    kill living beings
    Attention citizens. As you are all probably aware, there has been some concern in the working consciousness lately about a certain matter. After several requests and discussion in the democratic Party apparatuses, the matter was actually made to the very highest levels. After much criticism and self-criticism they, and all the Party has come to a decision. The nineteenth episode of Nichijou is the funniest episode. This decision should allay all concern; if you would like more detail, please consult the proceedings of the XXIII Congress of the CPSU. Thank you for your time. This concludes the announcement.

I watched more SNK.

Kinda slow at first, but holy crap, does shit get real on episode 4.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Watched the first episode of Space Dandy. ...Well, I think I did. I mean, things definitely happened, but I'm not quite sure what those things were. What I'm saying is that was the weirdest thing I've seen since The Woman Called Fujiko Mine.

(Also finished up Yozakura Quartet and saw the first episode of Noragami, but nobody cares about those.)
  • Spent a couple of hours researching JoJo's Bizarre Adventures.

Let me just say that I cannot get over Polnareff.

His outfit's so terrible, yet his hair and Stand are so perfect.
    spinor said:

I've heard that for Fullmetal Alchemist, once BONES realized they were going to catch up with the manga, they pulled in the mangaka Hiromu Arakawa, who proceeded to spoil to them the rest of the series...and then told them to do something completely different.

I'd heard as much, although I would have expected it anyway given how both progress.

Tachyon said:

i liked the ending

it was sad but i liked it

I feel the same way.

Tachyon said:

may count as an FMA spoiler

Spoiler:
    That episode was...