Anime

Comments

• So I recently stumbled upon two manga tht I think people here would enjoy, both written by Tezuka Osamu during the late 60s. Kuuki no Soko is a Sci-Fi anthology while The Crater is a horror anthology. Both of these collections are mostly comprised of one-shot stories and most of these stories are pretty surreal. It's a good starting place if you've never read any of Tezuka Osam's stuff and they're very short reads, so you can easily read both in an afternoon if you have some free time. I highly recommend checking them out.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Sounds like something right up my alley. Thank you.
  • Sounds like something right up my alley. Thank you.

It is very much up your alley. I think you'll really enjoy them. Especially The Crater, where Tezuka is a little more tongue in cheek despite being a horror anthology (He shows up as a character in his own manga twice and he gets killed off both times).
  • Does Soul Eater significantly improve after a few episodes?
  • Does Soul Eater significantly improve after a few episodes?

Yeah, it does. It takes about 8-10 episodes to hit it's stride and start getting better, but it's good until episode 37, where it splits off from the manga but stays semi-decent, at least until the last arc where it starts getting worse, which is a pattern that continues to the ending, which I did not like at all.
  • eh, I think I'll pass then.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Some of these series have so many episodes.

If a show doesn't get good within the space of the first four episodes, it doesn't feel worth the effort.
  • Tachyon said:

If a show doesn't get good within the space of the first four episodes, it doesn't feel worth the effort.

• i will say panty and stocking takes all the way until half-way through episode 5 to get good but once you hit that point damn
  • eh, I think I'll pass then.

Honestly, It's just the first three episodes that are kind of a pain, when it getting better when Professor Stein gets introduced in episodes 4-5 and 8 onwards is where the character development starts, so personally I'd still say it's worth a watch to see if you can get into it.
    Tachyon said:

I have the same rule when it comes to manga. If I can't get into it within the first 10 chapters, it gets dropped.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    I personally don't like watching anime that's longer than 26 episodes or so anyway

Too much time investment
    Monster is worth the investment. So is the first Fullmetal Alchemist. And Revolutionary Girl Utena, despite the fact that the third arc makes no goddamn sense without the fourth one.
  • I actually like hated Monster when I saw it on SyFy a few years ago, but that was a few years ago, maybe I'd be more receptive to it now, idk.
    I honestly find it hard to imagine hating Monster. Not liking it, sure, but to the point of anger or dismissal? Unless you have a really low tolerance for seriousness (even when warranted) or really dislike Liam O'Brien for some reason (assuming that you saw the dub), I honestly have no idea.
  • You guys really should see Kill la Kill, because Kill la Kill is awesome. If you can withstand the pretty ridiculous amount of boobage, it's really wacky and a fun time overall.
    A number of the people here have at least watched a few episodes of it.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I intend on catching up on it with dear this week.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)

I actually like hated Monster when I saw it on SyFy a few years ago, but that was a few years ago, maybe I'd be more receptive to it now, idk.

I really liked Monster.

Then again, I also liked Mister Bean's Holiday, so my taste is not quite reliable as a measure of quality.
    I'm planning on finally finishing Welcome to the NHK this week. Or rather restarting it and then completing it.
    Apparently the mangaka also wrote Tekkonkinkreet. This somehow makes everything about this a lot less surprising.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    So my school's anime club met up with a nearby anime club (the one at University of Michigan Flint) in an attempt to get more members at both of them.

U of M is showing Princess Jellyfish and Fractale and to be honest, both of those look really awesome. Can't wait to start watching those.

In other news, this Saturday we'll be watching Tiger and Bunny. I've got high hopes for that one.
  • Bunny said:

So my school's anime club met up with a nearby anime club (the one at University of Michigan Flint) in an attempt to get more members at both of them.

U of M is showing Princess Jellyfish and Fractale and to be honest, both of those look really awesome. Can't wait to start watching those.

In other news, this Saturday we'll be watching Tiger and Bunny. I've got high hopes for that one.
    I only saw one episode of Princess Jellyfish but it looked pretty fun.

Tiger and Bunny is a great show, so I think you'll enjoy it. Plus, Kotetsu is freaking adorable.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Fractale is... well, disappointing. And the director is an infamous drama queen, but that's neither here nor there.

Fractale is... well, disappointing.

I have read this a lot.

Fortunately, I have read the exact opposite of Princess Jellyfish. So that is positive. It also has a fantastic opening theme.
  • edited 2014-01-17 19:00:52
    Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Good. To the Princess Jellyfish thing, not the Fractale thing.

Princess Jellyfish interests me because it seems to be an exceptionally positive version of the transgender (or transvestite, I don't really know the character enough to say) type of character, who is usually only used as a quick laugh. Especially in anime.

The only other such character I can think of is one of the characters in Steins;Gate, and even she was used for a joke or two, even though otherwise she was done quite well.
    is Another any good?
  • edited 2014-01-23 03:05:15
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Not that I've heard. You're better off seeking out Mouryou no Haku or Monster or even Mononoke if you want creepy mystery/suspense stuff.
    Anonus mentioned Mononoke the other day... maybe i should check it out

What's Mouryou no Haku like?
    Fun fact: There was a live-action adaptation of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time made years before Mamoru Hosoda's version... by the fellow who directed Hausu, of all things.
    Tachyon said:

That one has been on my to-watch list forever, so I'm recommending it more on the word of people that I trust than personal experience. Apparently it is very elegantly plotted and very unsettling.

Mononoke I have seen twice. It is exceptional. Watch it.
    will do

thanks for the recommendations
    You are very welcome.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis

Does Soul Eater significantly improve after a few episodes?

Yeah, it does. It takes about 8-10 episodes to hit it's stride and start getting better, but it's good until episode 37, where it splits off from the manga but stays semi-decent, at least until the last arc where it starts getting worse, which is a pattern that continues to the ending, which I did not like at all.
    This is a very accurate assessment.
    how do you find the time to watch so much, or the patience to sit through things you don't enjoy?

i barely find the time to watch stuff i actually like
  • edited 2014-01-23 04:56:02

Finally sitting down to watch Tonari no Totoro.

I don't know if it's my Blu-Ray player or if I fucked up the download, but the sheer amount of visual artefacting is really annoying and it's making it difficult for me to actually pay attention to what's happening in the movie.
  • Tachyon said:

I can't speak for the anime, since I've only read the manga, which is only partially scanlated, but it's pretty good. Only speaking for the manga, the pacing can be a little slow at points, but other than that I have no complaints.

Mononoke is incredible and I'm gonna second the recommendation for it. The first arc is a little weak, but it gets better after that and it's pretty great all the way through after that. Also, before watching the series proper, watch episodes 9-11 of Ayakashi: Samurai Horror Tales, which is a horror anthology anime. The first two arcs were pretty bland but the last arc is excellent and led to the creation of the Mononoke anime, so it's a good introduction.
    Tachyon said:

how do you find the time to watch so much, or the patience to sit through things you don't enjoy?

i barely find the time to watch stuff i actually like

At the risk of making a "no duh" kind of statement, I make time. I'll usually set aside at least an hour every few days to watch or read something new.

Speaking about Soul Eater specifically, I read the manga before I watched the anime, so it only took me 5 minutes to read a chapter, as opposed to 22 to watch an episode, so there was a lot less initial buy in time and by the time I got to the anime, I was already a fan of the series.
  • edited 2014-01-23 05:40:09
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

Also, before watching the series proper, watch episodes 9-11 of Ayakashi: Samurai Horror Tales, which is a horror anthology anime. The first two arcs were pretty bland but the last arc is excellent and led to the creation of the Mononoke anime, so it's a good introduction.

thanks for the advice; i will do that

i guess i'm bad at managing my time

it doesn't help that 10 episodes is practically an entire season's worth by UK standards
  • edited 2014-01-23 08:48:03
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Well, that's the whole run of the show: Thirteen episodes divided into five arcs, plus a preceding arc of three episodes that serves as the stealth pilot. All of them are only about twenty-three minutes to whit.
    ah no... i was referring to Soul Eater, not Ayakashi
    I was talking about Mononoke, but... eh. Much confusion here now.
    lol communication

sorry about that

In defense of myself and anyone who sat through all of soul eater, the initial awesomeness and good episodes simply had enough momentum to carry me through to the end.

Mostly, it was the very end that was a hackneyed let down. 
  • In defense of myself and anyone who sat through all of soul eater, the initial awesomeness and good episodes simply had enough momentum to carry me through to the end.

Roll 1d20 to crack Asura's face.
  • spinor said:

I've heard that for Fullmetal Alchemist, once BONES realized they were going to catch up with the manga, they pulled in the mangaka Hiromu Arakawa, who proceeded to spoil to them the rest of the series...and then told them to do something completely different.

I'd heard as much, although I would have expected it anyway given how both progress.

Tachyon said:

i liked the ending

it was sad but i liked it

I feel the same way.

Tachyon said:

may count as an FMA spoiler

Spoiler:
    That episode was...
    I love that no matter how many kids they shoot, minorities they kill off or innocent souls they eat, even the homunculi cannot hope to be as universally loathed as Good Mr. Tucker.

Acererak said:

In defense of myself and anyone who sat through all of soul eater, the initial awesomeness and good episodes simply had enough momentum to carry me through to the end.

Roll 1d20 to crack Asura's face.
    Mostly, I HATED the fact Maka wins because she believes in herself. This should only work if the show also has established such things are usually accompanied by over-the-top super-moves that leave craters where enemies once where. Not something you make up because you can't write out a proper climax. 
    Acererak said:

I love that no matter how many kids they shoot, minorities they kill off or innocent souls they eat, even the homunculi cannot hope to be as universally loathed as Good Mr. Tucker.

This is more true of the manga; in the first series, the hate gets... complicated.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Honestly, the attempts in the first anime to humanise Tucker and Envy felt like they were trying to avoid overshadowing the loathsomeness of Pride, Kimblee and [SPOILER]. (Can't do spoilers on the mobile site, so.)

Although maybe I'm misinterpreting it and they were just trying to show how horribly petty Envy really is.
    I think it's the latter case with Envy: They are pitiable in their obsession with vengeance, and clearly screwed up to an astounding degree, but their total lack of empathy and the utter petty viciousness of everything they do keeps them from being truly sympathetic.
    i felt sorry for the Homunculi in the second anime at times, although they were prone to doing horrible things whenever i started to feel too sympathetic