Anime

Comments

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Love Hina was OK, if not great...the most interesting thing they did was making Naru a bit prettier than she is in the manga. Otherwise, it's like someone took Shinji and Asuka, gave Shinji glasses and Asuka brown hair, and dumped them into a harem anime. The manga is better, if only because it gives the characters more to do.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    I had issues with the manga as it clearly wasn't heading anywhere in a hurry after many, many volumes.
  • lee4hmz said:

Love Hina was OK, if not great...the most interesting thing they did was making Naru a bit prettier than she is in the manga. Otherwise, it's like someone took Shinji and Asuka, gave Shinji glasses and Asuka brown hair, and dumped them into a harem anime. The manga is better, if only because it gives the characters more to do.

To be fair, I think a lot of people want to put Evangelion into a harem anime.
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu

My favourite SnK opening is too NSFW for this thread so I'll just post this one

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Justice42 said:I had issues with the manga as it clearly wasn't heading anywhere in a hurry after many, many volumes.

Yeah, I...kind of skipped to the end when I read it. When you stretch "will they or won't they" to tens of volumes, it
    does get tedious. That and I wanted to see the wedding, dammit. :P

spinor said:

lee4hmz said:

Yeah, they do, don't they? Then again, I've been reading an Evangelion "after fic" that's pretty much a straight romance/slice-of-life manga, not a damned harem anime plot, and it actually works pretty well.
  • spinor said:

lee4hmz said:

isn't one of the zillion alternate universe mangas exactly that?

The Shinji Ikari raising project.

Though, the premise is that it's basically engineered by NERV because...actually I don't know why they're doing it yet.

The best part is Gendo is sort of bumbling comic relief obscuring the fact that he's actually a complete bad-ass.

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    @spinor:

Justice42 said:

It's only 6 episodes long and contains one of the best Anime soundtracks of all time, OF ALL TIME!

You should watch it.

What he said. Plus, it's one of the few Gainax shows where the animation budget was used wisely, and by "wisely," I mean "nigh perfectly."
  • the manga's pretty good too.

and arguably, actually weirder.

I was lukewarm on the manga, myself. 

Weird, with some interesting deviations, but I don't think it captured the underlining theme of the show.
  • edited 2013-07-27 03:05:59
    lee4hmz said:

Yeah, they do, don't they? Then again, I've been reading an Evangelion "after fic" that's pretty much a straight romance/slice-of-life manga, not a damned harem anime plot, and it actually works pretty well.

Which one? I've read Gregg Landsman's Walking In The Shadow Of Dreams.

(Unless you meant a doujin and not a regular text fanfic.)
  • Mo' said:

isn't one of the zillion alternate universe mangas exactly that?

Only one?

Some are less haremy than others...
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Watched the first half of Eva

pretty excited for the second half

The original series, you mean?
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Justice42 said:

The original series, you mean?

Yes, not the prequels with that annoying Jarro-Jarro Binksu

Shinji is pretty much already the Jar-Jar Binks of Evangelion, so any remake or off-shoot would be hard-pressed to come up with someone worse.

Is it any wonder that most AU Manga's completely throw out his personality?

• image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Super Robot Wars Shinji is the best Shinji.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Currently I like Shinji for being an actual person (albeit a severely fucked up person) and not generic Main Character-San

I mean, he's annoying as shit and I would never hang out with him in real life or anything, but I currently like him as a character
  • Bunny said:

he's annoying as shit and I would never hang out with him in real life or anything, but I currently like him as a character
    this describes almost all of my fave characters ever
  • edited 2013-08-02 21:22:59
    I like the snarky version of him in the WIP Rebuild of Nobody Dies, which is actually kinda close to canon while keeping him somewhat likeable.

Speaking of Eva, "evangelion" is apparently the accusative singular of the Esperanto word for "gospel," according to Wikictionary. Kinda makes the series' name almost meaningless.
    RocketRunner said:Speaking of Eva, "evangelion" is apparently the accusative singular of the Esperanto word for "gospel," according to Wikictionary. Kinda makes the series' name almost meaningless.

Uh, the title is Greek (whence the Esperanto comes). It means "new genesis/origin gospel." Like a new creation myth. It makes perfect sense in the series. Of course, the ambiguity of the last word helps:
    Evangelion literally means either "good message" or "good messenger."
  • the Japanese "shin seiki evangelion" is "New Century Evangelion".
    I was aware of the difference in meaning with the Japanese title, although it still does make sense.
  • edited 2013-08-03 19:36:42
    ^^^Actually, as Myrm said on IRC, the name could mean "New Beginning Gospel," which is partially accurate to the series.

TheMoreYouKnow.GIF
  • So - tomorrow I and a few other people are going to be watching this

on the HH jukebox at plug.dj, aiming somewhere around 8:00 to 8:30 EDT. Other peeps are all free to join and/or speculate.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I love that series.
  • Oh man, that was a good series.  Is this today?
  • That's the plan, unless something unexpected happens.
  • Where's the HH jukebox again?
  • Waiting out at plug - we can start now if everyone comes in
  • Today I learned that there was a Kara no Kyoukai drama CD where Shiki Ryougi, the main character, was played by Utena's voice actress.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    That sounds great spinor.
  • I watched the first episode of Bakemonogatari right now and am currently just whatting every fuck I can get my hands on.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    As I once said a long time ago, Bakemonogatari is so SHAFT it hurts.
    ^^ The scene where they are running up the stairs and all the collage stuff happens made me smile so much. It's really wonderful direction and design on basically every level.

^ It is. It entices and infuriates me.

On an entirely different note: Amazon Prime has RahXephon on free streaming. We currently have Amazon Prime. I am so happy.
  • edited 2013-08-16 05:34:06
    (flower path)
    Episode two made me what slightly fewer fucks.  I must say I like the way the dialogue flows even if I'm not really sure I like the content.  I think I'd like it more if I understood Japanese.  The rest of the direction--I still don't even know.  Fuckin Shinbou, man.  (Amusingly, someone on IRC thought I was talking about Shinobu.)

Also I really liked RahXephon.
  • edited 2013-08-16 06:51:34
    (flower path)
    ep 3: I've decided that absolutely nothing in this show actually makes sense.  It's pretty, but it's all a weird anime tone-poem composed of character archetypes, mythological references, and sexual tension.

You know all those memes about the Homestuck anime during one of those hiatus?  Come to think of it, in certain senses I think this is what it would be like.  The scale's very different from any act of Homestuck but at the very least to fit all the dialogue in the characters would have to talk as fast as they do in Bakemonogatari.  This fits very poorly but it also fits very well.
  • edited 2013-08-16 08:24:11
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Lately I've been watching Tonari no Kaibutsu-Kun ("My Little Monster") and it's...quite interesting. You have a young woman who as a kid wanted to do nothing but study, and a slacker violent young man who wants nothing more than friends who care. The young woman isn't comfortable unless she's by herself, the young man's desperate nature leads him to be taken advantage of, and circumstances throw them together into romance.

In short, they're two teenagers who have no idea how they're supposed to act (because they've never read a romance novel or seen a movie or watched other teenagers have their relationships) exploring their relationship, and they're just winging it in and it's fascinating.
  • edited 2013-08-16 12:01:43
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

RahXephon was good. Very similar to Eva, but not nearly as dense yet still felt intellectually whole. I think it did a better job of making one care about the characters so certain scenes where much more dramatic.

• ah, pancakestein

It gets better, apparently

• *don't* get in the fucking robot shinji

Evangelion Rebuild 3.0

You should (not) get in the fucking robot.
  • I recently binged Daily Lives of High School Boys. Rather fun.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Stuff coming out this fall season that looks good(shamelessly copypasted from the SA Fall Season thread)

10/ Samurai Flamenco
    noitaminA series #2, it's another original anime by Manglobe, directed by Takahiro Omori (Baccano!, Durarara!!, Hell Girl, Squid Girl, Koi Kaze, Natsume's Book of Friends) with series composition by Hideyuki Kurata (Gun X Sword, Read or Die, Now and Then Here and There). A young model for a male fashion magazine who has always longed to be a tokusatsu-style hero uses a device his grandfather invented to turn into the hero Samurai Flamenco. It's looking like a cheesy action-comedy thing. I'm going to go out on a limb and bet this will be pretty entertaining.

10/ Kill la Kill
    Studio TRIGGER's first TV anime. The story is about two badass school girls with swords on a campus ruled by the blade. The campus? Also a sword. Hiroyuki Imaishi (Dead Leaves, FLCL, Gurren-Lagann, Panty and Stocking, Inferno Cop) is directing. This is the safest bet ever in terms of being totally amazing. TRIGGER, for those not familiar with them, is essentially all of the good Gainax staff that jumped ship a couple years back in order to do their own things, and have since produced some really stellar one-offs and shorts (Little Witch Academia, Inferno Cop, Turning Girls, the Little Witch Academia 2 kickstarter, and Inferno Cop). 

10/ Valvrave the Liberator, Season 2
    The second season of Sunrise's attempt to make another Code Geass. A nation on a dysonsphere is invaded by a bunch of spacegermans with robots. A series of events ensue that result in a kid piloting a giant robot that turns him into a Dracula. The first season was... ludicrous? Insane? Kind of daft? Controversial? Those are good adjectives for it. If you like trainwrecks you will probably continue to like this.

Fall Kyousogiga
    Well, after a long time of people wanting it, it seems it’s finally happening. The Kyousogiga ONA is getting a TV adaptation. A young girl and her brothers find themselves in a bizarre parallel Kyoto, searching for a rabbit in order to return home. It's very Alice-in-Wonderland-esque. Toei Animation is still producing it, and all the ONA staff are still on. Rie Matsumoto is directing, Izumi Todo is writing it. Check out the ONA; if you like that, you will probably like this.

Speaking of train wrecks, I'm watching Burst Angel and I'm close to the end where the plot has basically completely lost it's shit.

I'm pretty sure one of the girls was just aided by some sort of ghost Samurai.