Anime

Comments

• edited 2013-03-16 12:02:49
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    The word that you are looking for is iyashikei. It's a term used to describe quiet, slow-moving, character-driven shows which have a soothing effect on the viewer. Record of a Yokohama Shopping Trip is a good example of this. Many slice-of-life shows fall into this category, but many of them do not.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Yes, that was it.  Thank you! :)
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    You're welcome.

Speaking of calming, Natsume's Book Of Friends is, as I had expected, a lovely little show.
  • If you want a good iyashikei show I'd recommend Kamichu!, it's devoid of most of the undesirable anime tropes, and it has just enough going on to keep it "relaxing" instead of "boring".

Also there's one purely comedic episode, which is also a parody of Fight Club. Don't ask, because I don't know.

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Cue Pixie's song.
    Don't mind if I do...

For an anime about peeps summoning scary peeps to fight it out over who gets to touch a holy relic, Fate Stay Night is rather slow.

Good thing I'm down with  the premise. 

Anyone ever start a series, realize it was going to take way too damn log to actually conclude or manage anything in the way of story structure, and then abort?
  • Watch Fate/Zero instead.  It spoils things from F/sn but doesn't actually require it to be enjoyable.

I can watch both. :P 

I've been meaning to watch Fate Stay Night for a while now, even though I sort of knew it wasn't exactly a masterpiece. 

I can definitely feel the hentai vibes from the original visual novel. It definitely feels like most the female cast should be having tons of sex with the main character for the most part. 
  • edited 2013-04-13 16:26:54
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    The sex scenes could be excised from the VN (and in fact were, for the PS2 release) and it would still make sense. And you also wouldn't have to suffer Nasu's atrocious sex scene writing.

You'd still have a bunch of girls who bend over backwards for the main character if given half the chance. 

Now, I'm not one for "If a man and a woman are on screen together for more than five minutes than they both must want to fuck the shit out of each other", but when one girl spends all her free time with the male lead and the other saves his live multiple times when it's quite likely in her best interest to let him die or even kill him herself, it's kinda hard to believe that they don't want the d. 
    This thread needs more discussion of how awesome The Tatami Galaxy is, stat:

Seriously, if you haven't seen this show yet, why aren't you watching it right now? Go do this!
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    HE'S LIKE A DEVIL BOY!
    HE LOVES GIVING OTHERS TROUBLE
    HE SPREADS PROBLEMS EVERYWHERE
    HE MADE MY LIFE TELLIBLY MISERABLE
    HE IS MY FRIEND BUT ALSO MY ENEMY
    GO TO HELL, OZU!
    Ozu actually gets pretty interesting as the series goes on, although why would be giving a lot away...
  • Ozu actually gets pretty interesting as the series goes on

Different Ozu, but a very clever reference.

Hmm. This makes me think of the use of mono no aware as a recurring theme in Kino's Journey, which everyone should also watch.
    Guillermo Del Toro and Steven Thompson are teaming up to make Monster into a series for HBO.

No, I am not kidding.

There are no words for how awesome this is.
  • My dreams exceed my real life

Anyone ever start a series, realize it was going to take way too damn log to actually conclude or manage anything in the way of story structure, and then abort?
    In hindsight, it probably seemed like I was talking about Fate/Stay Night here when I was really just asking a question.
  • edited 2013-04-25 17:41:10
    (flower path)
    So Psycho-Pass was really compelling.  I liked it, though any discussion I'd want to have would be hella spoilerriffic.
    I think that's Urobuchi in his purest form: 90% of the most interesting parts of any given work of his cannot be discussed without spoiling the plot to the uninitiated.
    So Valvrave the Liberator continues to be 900% pure unleaded anime silliness.

God do I love it.
  • edited 2013-05-25 18:53:48
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Last night I watched Evangelion 3.33.

Shiny, but I feel the story has drifted back into familiar territory, which is disappointing.

Also, I watched the first episode of Princess Tutu on Netlix...I have no idea what the hell THAT was, but I want more. 
  • edited 2013-05-25 18:56:29
    Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    I was gonna start watchin' some of the animus that were running this season

I watched the first episode of a bunch of 'em, and so far it looks like Attack on Titan, Karneval, and Devil Survivor 2 all have promise

I'll probably watch more of 'em the next time I see Jeff, he's my anime lovin' buddy

I keep hearing good things about "Attack on Titan".
  • I watched the first few episodes of Princess Tutu...to be honest, it didn't hold me.
  • edited 2013-05-25 19:32:54

spinor said:

I watched the first few episodes of Princess Tutu...to be honest, it didn't hold me.

Keep watching; it's one of those shows that really starts to build up after a couple of eps.
  • I keep hearing good things about "Attack on Titan".

I think you posted that before, however this was the first time I watched it.

It is a thing of beauty.
  • KoTH apparently has a very devoted Japanese fanbase.

they're like the opposite of people like me who watch LuckyStar and whatnot.

Yeah, or how FLCL breaks into a South Park interlude.
  • edited 2013-05-30 03:10:21

So I've been reading Lone Wolf and Cub and Liar Game recently and both are absolutely fantastic, albeit for completely different reasons.

Lone Wolf and Cub is a great jidaigeki period piece about Ogami Itto, the Shogun's executioner who is framed by the Yagyu so they can steal his post and has his whole clan destroyed as a result. He then takes up the job of an assassin, with his 3 year old son daigoro, to build up funds to take revenge on the Yagyu, charging 500 Ryō a head and the reasons for asking for his services. The pacing can be a little slow at points, with the beginning of the series starting out as episodic assassinations while only barely touching on the main arc, but those episodic bits are kind of fun in and of themselves. The plot builds to a head for an initial climax (or local max, if you will) around chapter 50, but then goes back to the episodic assassinations for a while and it kind of threw me for a loop, just because after this big climax, even though the story obviously isn't over it just feels a little hollow compared to the the previous chapters. It does recover it's strength after a few chapters though.

As for characterization, there are enough little moments of subtlety and introspection that I wouldn't call the main characters flat or 2-dimensional my any means, but it hasn't felt like the characters are incredible dynamic or deep either. Ogami Itto more or less keeps his stoic demeanor thorough out the whole series (that I've read up to this point, still not done with), only breaking that stoicism a select few times. When he does break it however, it's rather powerful. The story, as a whole is very well researched and an accurate depiction of the culture from that time period, from what I can understand. Also, the art is phenomenal, particularly the author's skill at shading and contrast between light and dark. Plus, the character designs are wonderfully realistic.

Liar Game is follows the story of Nao Kanzaki, an incredibly clumsy, honest to a fault and straight forward person who unwittingly opens a mysterious package and discovers her admittance into the Liar Game, where players compete with each at lying. At the start of the game, at least for the first round, you and your opponent are loaned 100 million Yen and you have to try and steal that money from each other. At the end of the round, the Liar Game officials come to collect the money. If you managed to steal the money from your opponent, you can keep the extra 100 million and go on to the next round, but your opponent has a debt of 100 million Yen thrust upon them. Just opening the package is taken as assumed consent of playing the game and to drop out of the game costs 50 million Yen.

I've only started reading this series, so I can't really comment too much on it, but if you're a fan of psychological thrillers, this manga is absolutely fantastic. I'm only 30 chapters in and I'm completely hooked. The characterization and mind games are both really well done.
  • edited 2013-06-08 00:05:54
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

I just watched the first three and a half minutes of the Squid Girl dub.

It is like Fefri wrote an anime and Let Meenah edit the script in case it lacked fish puns.
    I sadly do not get the meaning behind that reference...
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Squid Girl, I remember that title. It was an intriguing title.

I know nothing else.

feferi fish puns quicklist

op-perch-tuna-ty : Opportunity

Shore - Sure

Hershell/Himshell/Yourshell/Myshell - Herself/Himself/Yourself/Myself

Cod - God/Could

Eeling - Feeling

Whale - Well

Reelly - Really

Min-now - Know

Sea - See

Gillarious/Gillarity - Hilarious

Splashing/Swimming/Floating - Hanging/Being/Etc

Cull - Kill

Carping/Glubbing - Talking/Chatting/Etc

Kelp - Help

Salmon - Seldom/summon

Debait - Debate

Sardinonic - Sardonic

Cullshit - Bullshit

Krilling - Killing

Doofish - Doofus

Shingle - Single

Appiers - Appears

Crayative - Creative

Haddock - Had

Waded - Walked

Roe - Row

Beach - Bitch

Buri - Bury

Knot - Not

Manta - Meant

Outraygeous - Ray

Cuttle - Cuddle

Codn’t - Couldn’t.

Aboat - About

Pike - Like

Melan-Coley - Melancholic

Pacific - Specific

Crabby - Crappy

Crappie - Crappy

Porpoise - Purpose

Halibut - Hell of it

Ruff - Rough

Plaice - Place

Discus - Discuss

Water - What are

Koi - Coy

Betta - Better

Shellfish - Selfish

Bluefish - Sad

Tail - Tell/Trail

Fintastic - Fantastic

Fintasy - Fantasy

Fin - Find

Otter-wise - Otherwise

Sole - Soul/Sole

Floundering - Fumbling

Lobsta - Lotsa

Clam up - Shut up

Aquainted - Acquainted

sea-rious - serious

bereef - believe

anemone - anyone

sea eeled - sealed

brisling - i dont know

shrimply - simply

mackerel - mack

bereef - believe

bouys and gills - boys and girls

sturgeon = surgeon

mullet = mull it

brill-iant = brilliant

shoal = show

clam-ering = clamoring

batter = better (this one is a stretch but ehh)

moray-eel = moirail

grunter = grunt (or someone who grunts, i guess)

shad = tad

Meenah is WORSE believe it or not.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
  • So I've got some uploaded eps of Utena on Youtube - anyone wanna watch the series on Plug sometime?

You guys call the time when you'll be free.
    In case anyone was interested, here is my review of S1 of Valvrave

That too
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I liked Monster and Full Metal Alchemist.

Your tastes seem to be very similar to my wife's.
    I liked Monster and Full Metal Alchemist.
    Those are both excellent shows.

Forgot to mention: For those of you that can view it, the dub of Kino's Journey can now be seen in its entirety on Hulu. Do yourselves a favour and watch it at your nearest convenience, please. It is lovely.

*high-fives for episodic magical realism*
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Also, I am watching Trigun, and I like it quite a bit.