The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind

personal incredulity

Because you found something difficult to understand, or are unaware of how it works, you made out like it's probably not true.

Complex subjects like biological evolution through natural selection require some amount of understanding of how they work before one is able to properly grasp them; this fallacy is usually used in place of that understanding.

Example: Kirk drew a picture of a fish and a human and with effusive disdain asked Richard if he really thought we were stupid enough to believe that a fish somehow turned into a human through just, like, random things happening over time.

• I'll be honest, the spamming of.....stuff. Here does sometimes get a tad exasperating when I just want to talk about something.

Should we make a thread that's just for talking about things

cuz it would be rude to ask people to not spam here when spamming stuff is half the point of the forums

This is amusing.
  • edited 2012-05-29 00:19:22
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
  • I did not know that.

also

I just got a random message on Facebook from my friend that moved to Alabama a few months ago.

weird

• I'm just here to gay the place up
    It does seem as though some here are just hung up on post count.
  • um, Anonus that link does not appear to go anywhere
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Lazuli: It should now; I fixed the link for him once I saw it was broken.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Also, I'm going to bed now. Good night!
  • i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind

good night, lee, good morning elvis

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Someday I want to quit the internet forever
  • edited 2012-05-29 00:42:51

Me too.

Kinda.
  • Sometimes I feel like the only person on the internet who likes the internet.

Like, I've gotten to meet a lot of people and learn a lot of things I wouldn't have otherwise. I don't see why being here is inherently a bad thing.

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I like the Internet but I feel like I spend too much time on it.
  • edited 2012-05-29 00:54:03
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Seeing that the light had gone yellow, Abigail sped up through the 21st Avenue intersection. She was not so lucky with 22nd Avenue, however--the light turned red right as she approached, and she reluctantly slowed the car to a stop.

"Which way am I going, anyway?" Abigail asked her friend Peter, who was sitting in the passenger seat.

"Go straight for now, then left on Central Avenue," he replied. "It's the quickest way to the North Side."

"How can that be?" Abigail glanced out the window down 22nd Avenue. "It's just a quick shot up 22nd, isn't it?"

"I...don't like to use 22nd."

Abigail looked up and down 22nd Avenue. To the right, 22nd was a busy thoroughfare, clogged with the traffic of Capital City. To the north, the street was deserted--not a single car in sight. She stared at the street for a moment longer, trying to recall if she had ever seen anyone go up that section of 22nd.

"Ok, Peter...what's the deal with 22nd Avenue?"

"It's a long story."

"It's a long red light."

Peter sighed. "Okay...a long time ago--it must have been about 13 years now--a boy from this neighborhood was elected mayor. He pledged to do his part to fix up this side of town--better schools, lower crime...the whole shebang. So some folks from the neighborhood decided to throw a parade in his honor."

"Ooh, neat. Was it fun?"

"Well, at first it was fun. Just another silly parade, an easy way to kill a three-day weekend...but then things went wrong."

"What happened?"

"Well the parade started, and everything was fine and dandy. They went through the planned route, everything was fun and festive. But then...they reached the end of the route...and everyone kept going. It was still early in the day, so the spectators just assumed the participants had decided on a second run.

"But things started getting stranger. They reached the end of the route again, but kept on marching. Then it happened a third time. And a fourth. By now, it was nearly midnight, and the people just kept on marching. Nobody knew what to do, so they called in the police department. The police decided to set up a roadblock to stop the marchers...but---"

"But what?" Abigail asked.

"Well, the cops got all ready to block off the road...but once they stepped in front of the parade...they became part of it. As soon as their feet hit the pavement, they were part of this endless march. Same thing happened to anyone who tried to intervene--once you joined the parade, there was no way out.

"And, well...it's kinda been that way ever since. To this day, people parade around the neighborhood around 22nd Avenue. Never stopping, never slowing down. They don't even seem to get tired or hungry or thirsty. They just keep parading around and around and around."

"That's...amazing," said Abigail. "But how do we stop it?"

"Nobody knows," said Peter. "if we did, we would have already--"

Honk!

Abigail quickly glanced up at the traffic light to see that it had long since turned green while they were talking. In a moment of pure impulse, she quickly flipped on her left turn signal and barreled onto the deserted portion of 22nd Avenue, cutting off an oncoming delivery truck in the process.

"Where the hell do you think you're going?" Peter said.

"To do something I've wanted to do since I was a little girl," she said. "Go and see a parade."
  • Well that's one thing.

I mean I should by all rights spend less time here too, but I simply don't have anything better to do with my time right now. I suspect that'll change at least somewhat when I get a job.

Oh, I don't regret spending a lot of time on the internet. I've learned all kinds of things I might not have otherwise.

However, I feel like ultimately the diminishing returns are gonna make it more worth my while to quit.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I keep telling myself that I don't have anything better to do with my time, but that's wrong. I think the fact that this forum is pretty much the extent of my social life is part of why I'm here so much.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Anonus said:

I keep telling myself that I don't have anything better to do with my time, but that's wrong. I think the fact that this forum is pretty much the extent of my social life is part of why I'm here so much.

This.

I have no social life outside the internet, so I cling to the internet like nobody's business.
  • Am I the only person who feels that there's nothing inherently wrong with that?

I do go out with my friends very rarely, but truth be told I prefer to be alone most of the time.

• edited 2012-05-29 01:02:34
    ^^You go to community college. You just don't want to make friends because you're too nervous.

^Not really, but at the back of my mind there's some part of me that tells me wanting to be alone a lot is/was wrong.
    I feel like I would be healthier/happier with a more active social life, yet I have no particular desire to actually do that.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

I feel like I would be healthier/happier with a more active social life, yet I have no particular desire to actually do that.

Same here.
    I am conflicted within myself.
    also nobody cares about my parade story

just as well; i'm sure the idea has been done before
  • Henry Bowers is the coolest fucking Swedish person.

meanwhile in the arena of Nordic rap, Follow Him To The End Of The Desert has the most awkward MC name ever.

• I'd pretty much dump the internet if it wasn't for Bunny.

And music stuff.
    I'm over 9000 now
  • also nobody cares about my parade story

actually I really liked it, I just don't really have anything constructive to say about it.

I like most of the things you write, actually.

• edited 2012-05-29 01:07:48
    It's easier to find people with niche interests on the Internet than in real life, which is a boon to me.

I cared about your parade story, Centie!

^Same here.
  • holy shit I found the original Desert Burner.
    I think I heard that one.
  • edited 2012-05-29 01:17:12
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    See, for like 6 years now I've been toying with the idea of an otherwise typical American city that has strange-ass shit like that going on in various parts of it. I call it "Capital City", a reference to my hometown.

But I've yet to figure out how to turn this into a coherent work. Perhaps as a series of short stories, each one detailing another instance of weirdness in Capital City?

I'm very tempted to make that my wallpaper.
  • It was the first thing I ever released to the public, if memory serves.

But I've yet to figure out how to turn this into a coherent work. Perhaps as a series of short stories, each one detailing another instance of weirdness in Capital City?

I'd read it.

I remember liking Desert Burner.

I'm very tempted to make that my wallpaper.

Looking at it, I'm impressed by the attention to detail.
  • Skimming over it, I think it's actually kind of stupid. All I really did was paste together a bunch of slowed down samples from the Free Music Archive, which, that's still sort of what I do, but I like to think I do it much better now.

Unrelatedly, I think that float zombies is undeniably my stupidest album.

I almost wish Belle and the Beast weren't in it; the background has very clearly been painstakingly painted, so having the cel-animated characters there is kinda distracting.

so i am listening to smooth jazz on the radio at 12:32 AM

it is nice to know that smooth jazz and radios are still things, as well as 12:32 AM

Why does the eponymous song from Beauty and the Beast still have sentimental value to me

Am I a fucking five year old girl
  • are there seriously people who argue that this series isn't by Bomber Grape

I mean

it

it's either him, or a Ditto pretending to be him.

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis

this comic is funny but also kinda awkward for me cuz my mom's name is Wendy.

PICKLE RELATED INTERNET CONTENT!
    Imi G: Commence sleeping.
  • PICKLE RELATED INTERNET CONTENT!

Dear God....