The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    The Mission seems to be pretty widely loved.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    ^^ Ah, thanks, that makes much more sense now.

I noticed the damage to the sign but couldn't figure out what that had to do with "gay". :p

^ With good reason, since it's an inventive and inspirational piece of music lovingly crafted by an exceptional composer.

(When I mentioned "classical snobs", I've noticed certain classical listeners can be very dismissive of John Williams, who I guess is perceived as populist and simplistic.  If he wasn't so popular in the first place I don't imagine he'd attract that kind of attention, though.)
    They are, huh?

I think one of my favorite syndicated news music packages of recent years is Stephen Arnold Music/360 Music's 360.
  • edited 2012-05-18 00:14:41
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I wish the Robinwood Avenue Kroger in Whitehall were still there.

It was easily one of the oldest supermarkets on this side of the city, even 20 years ago or so when it was still operating. It was the 1960s-style store with an attached but separate drugstore instead of an in-store pharmacy. Said drugstore was vacant when I lived over there, but it had an obvious Rite Aid labelscar.

They tore it down in the late '90s and built a new Kroger a few blocks away. Now there's a Target store where it used to be...
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.

That is rather beautiful
    Oh, that's the 2004 version of the closing theme; here's the 1985 version.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Dammit Anonus, quit nitpicking.

And have the Superman theme while you're at it

@ Imi and squid: That was my reaction when I first heard that. :)

@ Anonus: They are.  As a film music composer, though, he's very highly regarded, certainly more so than, say, Danny Elfman or Hans Zimmer (both of whom I also like).

"360" sounds pretty good.  The choice of instrumentation is rather unconventional in places, but it works really well.

I should get to bed.  Good night.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Good night, Fouria.

^^^Intentional on their part. And good night.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis

actually do the original novel justice.

Sex with books?! 

That sounds painful.
    Never thought I'd see these two together

• edited 2012-05-18 01:38:28
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Leonard Nimoy.

I thought it was Nimoy, too.

Shame the picture is not of higher quality.
    Rather unfortunate.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    James Joyce filled a whole page with a giant S.

And then repeated it with M and P.

• edited 2012-05-18 02:07:45
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Sometimes I feel like I was a dumb kid; I was never much into books... >_<
    I didn't read that much as a kid either, truth be told. It didn't become a serious pastime of mine until my mid-teens.

Anyhow. With the sleeping.
    Good night Imi.
  • edited 2012-05-18 02:26:33
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Lazuli: That last post of mine did come off as kind of douchey, didn't it. :/

I didn't mean to be condescending; I've been a little sleep-deprived and irritable the past couple days and I think some of my grumpiness slipped out. Sorry about that...
  • The sadness will last forever.
    furballs
    roar
    la la la
    slippery
    comment youtube
    slope
    michael jackson
    In May 2017, researchers revealed that the red octagon was actually an ancient Gallifreyan symbol meaning he who stops before this sign loves to suck on big, juicy cocks.

When this discovery was made public, crash rates--and traffic ticket revenue--across the country skyrocketed. Except, curiously, in San Francisco, which reported record levels of safety at stop-controlled intersections.
  • edited 2012-05-18 04:59:54
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    But I thought Gallifreyans were more mature than that!

...now I wanna watch the old series, it had more Time Lords than the Doctor and the Master and River (and, arguably, Jenny)...
    What, you don't think Time Lords ever had middle schoolers who loved to laugh their asses off at the invocation of gay sex? I think every society has those.
    +++ChanServ has taken op from payphone
    Google Maps has the 6th Avenue freeway in Denver marked "U.S. Route 6 in Illinois."

• Sounds like Google just lost some street cred.
    I saw on AARoads that these "in Illinois" and "in Kansas" errors have been cropping up all over the country. It's bizarre.

The whole thing is made even weirder by the fact that it seems to be cribbing Wikipedia's naming convention for highway articles.

This is almost as bad as the time the entirety of US 30 was labeled "Quebec Route 366".
  • edited 2012-05-18 06:44:42
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Sudden realization: I have been doing most of my studying in the library.  In this room, the Internet is too much of a distraction.  So I've been thinking of the library as a place where there are no distractions, but it isn't.  It's actually a place where the walls are made of distraction.  So much knowledge, practically calling out, waiting to be read.

Except, I know I shouldn't be reading it, I have other, more urgent things to be doing.  So it's forbidden knowledge.  I am trying to study without distraction in a room where the walls are made of forbidden knowledge.  It's pretty offputting.

^ I'm surprised that all such errors haven't been reported and fixed by now.
    Ooh, sounds cool!
    Cool in the sense that cool things that you can't have are cool. >_<

You're up early.  Or late.  Which?
    Google Maps takes their sweet time correcting errors. I'd like to think it's because they prefer to focus on the more subtle mistakes over glaringly obvious things like Illinois being in Colorado, but who knows?
    why do i want to reblog pictures of alice margatroid
  • I'm a loser. Also, Creeper. And a woman.
    Because it's Alice?
    Late >_<
  • I'm a loser. Also, Creeper. And a woman.
    I am Irene. The Ninja! *poses*

Presuming I ninja'd you, that is.