• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    also does this dude like the Pirates and Penguins too
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    He really likes Primani Brothers sandwiches
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Primanti
    Odradek said:

Tumblr is still strongly implying John Green is a pedophile I see https://leftclausewitz.tumblr.com/post/145891398806/whats-your-opinion-on-john-green

Wild accusations are cool behavior
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    look man, by now we know tumblr is insane
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)

look man, by now we know tumblr is insane

• kill living beings
    hallucinate
  • Anonus said:

Are you going to incorporate him into anything or can I borrow him?

He might be a bit outlandish for what I'm doing though...
    I meant "character" more in the sense of a character you'd make up in an improv bit, but if you want to write about him you can.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    My favorite bit of weird art at DIA will always be the giant blue anatomically-correct demon mustang out front
    I based the appearance of Quick Draw McGraw's superhero counterpart, El Kabolt (it makes sense in context), on it
  • I feel sad for no reason.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Can you believe people are still using operating systems?
  • Got a bridesmaid dress fitting today, so naturally I've just consumed a lot of dairy so I become bloated and ill

Genius

are you going to get irritated at people who still use them when the very notion becomes outdated
    Toolsie said:

Got a bridesmaid dress fitting today, so naturally I've just consumed a lot of dairy so I become bloated and ill

Genius

:(

Anonus said:

are you going to get irritated at people who still use them when the very notion becomes outdated
    ...I get pissy over computer stuff a lot, don't I? :\
    seems like it

also, i'm sorry, tools
    Why hasn't the government figured it out yet: If you call it "Jensorship" instead of "Censorship" it won't be considered a free speech violation!

Okay, writers of the Heap, listen up.

This book is called Twisted. It's about were-roller coasters. It's written horribly, very horribly. I just read a chapter of it, and it has 7 typos, illustrations that came from Deviantart (literally), no sense of setting or realistic dialogue, and characters that make the Twilight cast look likable and human. And this book has been published. And it got three 5-star reviews on Amazon, and one of them isn't an obvious joke (though it's obviously the author or a friend trying to goldplate a mudpie).

A 17-year-old girl has written a childish wet-dream fantasy into existence with nothing resembling an editor, and people have bought her book.

What I'm trying to say is this: nothing you write will be worse than this book (which was published, mind you), and you can follow your literary dreams (no matter how far from the mainstream) and still get people to buy your book.

-throws down hat in disgust-

bringing this back
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Shit who wrote this piece of garbage

Is this a fetish thing? This feels like a fetish thing
    I wonder how many fields of study/career paths don't require a decent level of familiarity with Microsoft Excel

I'd guess not many
    People on the internet get really attached to Hard Determinism, and I have no idea why
    Excel is such a useful tool for any business so it makes sense

That said it mostly comes down to knowing the basics of excel, nothing too exciting. Don't think most places expect you to be able to do VBA scripting or anything like that
    Odradek said:

People on the internet get really attached to Hard Determinism, and I have no idea why

"But guys the Libet Experimennnttttt"

The Libet experiments were literally people choosing whether to push a right button or a left button. Even putting aside how meaningless that "choice" is and how the people were told to essentially choose randomly, and the trouble of generalizing the results, the whole thing relies on a weird pseudo-dualism to work as a proof of hard determinism.
  • edited 2016-06-14 14:46:37
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Gameplay-wise you'd be pretty hard-pressed to argue ME3 isn't the best in the series.  i prefer ME2 overall but only really when taken in isolation; its biggest weaknesses pertain to its relation to the overarching narrative, imo.

ME3, well, it's a really good, strong game with some excellent writing and character moments, but the ending really didn't work for me.  We've been over this.

The original ME had some interesting concepts and worldbuilding and the odd amusing line, but otherwise struck me as fairly dull, at least in comparison to the subsequent two.  In terms of writing it was the more thematically consistent, and i do think that's a fairly big deal, but it's clearly a lot harder to maintain that kind of consistency over a trilogy than over the course of a single game.
    I definitely enjoyed the weapon customization in ME1. Nothing like making a gun that can't overheat, or a boomstick so big it only gets one shot
    I'm also perpetually amused by how similar Mass Effect is to Star Control 2
    Real fuckin' cute, Flickr made their loading bar rainbow-colored

I should be preparing myself for an onslaught of shallow "we totally care about queer people!" from corporate brands now, shouldn't I?
  • I honestly disagree that it was even thematically consistent.

You have a reasonable arc between Eden Prime, the Citadel, Virmire, Ilos, and the final battle, but dozens of hours of sidequests and main quests separate those. Most of it essentially pointless filler. It suffocates any thematic consistency, and that's ignoring how stilted the writing is and how thin the characterization is. It's completely without focus, and the things that make it a good game shine through in relatively small moments.

It's quite like Dragon Age: Origins in that regard, though Origins had a much worse ratio of good stuff to filler.
  • Compare 2- which embraced episodic storytelling, and 3, which was hyperfocused and the fluff was entertaining and well integrated with the story as a whole.
    I'M SO SMART I'M LIKE THE BRITISH EQUIVALENT OF HERMIONE GRANGER
  • ME1 was a game with plenty of holes, but the novelty of its elements (as a party-based third person shooter space opera RPG) was enticing, especially since BioWare were still predominantly known for d20 cRPGs back then. It was close enough in time to BioWare's most classic games, when they were going from strength to strength, that there was trust in seeing how this panned out. I do consider the second and third games an improvement (ending notwithstanding), but I can also see why that first entry into the series and its weird combination of elements would be a fond memory. 
  • Something about it worked. I remember it a lot more fondly than I do Origins, if nothing else. 

I think one of the issues was that the most overtly BioWare-y elements to the game were its biggest weaknesses. The RPG progression and class system was functional enough gameplay-wise but diegetically nonsensical and the tutorial - four nonlinear levels - finale structure was REALLY showing its age
  • It's just a hard game to put together really. Its flaws are too minute and numerous to really quantify in any satisfying way (not to mention the ever-looming threat of stans nuh-uh'ing all of your criticisms) and the search for what about it worked is maddeningly difficult. 

I'm not sure what your point is. Are you denying that there's an aesthetic that's common in anime? When you bring up criticisms, is it not in reference to things you dislike?

This is my starting point: Anime has an aesthetic. Yes, #notallanime, but by and large, there is a collection of visual, dialogue, plot and characterization tropes that are common to the medium. I don't dig those visual, dialogue, plot or characterization tropes. I don't think it looks cool, or sounds cool, I don't respond to the dialogue ticks. They're annoying to me, or, if you'd like, they're silly in a way I dislike.

When I end up liking anime, it's when it avoids those things. Which does happen! But I'm not sure if you're saying the aesthetic isn't there (which I disagree with) or you're saying you shouldn't dislike an aesthetic (which I also disagree with). Yes, I can scour the world of anime for exceptions but why would I? I know they exist, they land on my door step sometimes, but life is too short to swim upstream for media. There's media everywhere.

• image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    99 reasons that the Pyramid of Moore is a flaming trash heap of a dungeon.
  • kill living beings

plus

(let's see if embed is allowed)
    Oh god there it is

His rollercoaster-sona

Why must we turn away from heaven's light
    (2015 self)

Toolsie said:

Got a bridesmaid dress fitting today, so naturally I've just consumed a lot of dairy so I become bloated and ill

Genius

:(

Anonus said:

...I get pissy over computer stuff a lot, don't I? :\
    Hey, not ALL of us are rich like you and can afford new computers.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    I'm not sure what your point is. Are you denying that there's an aesthetic that's common in I'm not sure what your point is. Are you denying that there's an aesthetic that's common in I'm not sure what your point is. Are you denying that there's an aesthetic that's common in I'm not sure what your point is. Are you denying that there's an aesthetic that's common in I'm not sure what your point is. Are you denying that there's an aesthetic that's common in I'm not sure what your point is. Are you denying that there's an aesthetic that's common in I'm not sure what your point is. Are you denying that there's an aesthetic that's common in I'm not sure what your point is. Are you denying that there's an aesthetic that's common in I'm not sure what your point is. Are you denying that there's an aesthetic that's common in I'm not sure what your point is. Are you denying that there's an aesthetic that's common in I'm not sure what your point is. Are you denying that there's an aesthetic that's common in I'm not sure what your point is. Are you denying that there's an aesthetic that's common in I'm not sure what your point is. Are you denying that there's an aesthetic that's common in I'm not sure what your point is. Are you denying that there's an aesthetic that's common in 
  • edited 2016-06-14 17:13:12
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    Yes. No. Maybe. I don't know...

Could you repeat the question?
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Yes, yes you do.
    (2015 self)

Yes. No. Maybe. I don't know...

Could you repeat the question?

yer naught the boss of me now.  Yernought thabbossamie now, anyer notso beeeg.
  • Odradek said:

Odradek said:

"But guys the Libet Experimennnttttt"

The Libet experiments were literally people choosing whether to push a right button or a left button. Even putting aside how meaningless that "choice" is and how the people were told to essentially choose randomly, and the trouble of generalizing the results, the whole thing relies on a weird pseudo-dualism to work as a proof of hard determinism.
    very glad I'm not the only one annoyed by this
    Yes, thank you
    (2015 self)
    I'm always watching you, Wazoowwwwwwwwwwski.  Alwaaaaaaaaaaaaaays Waaaaaaaatching.
  • kill living beings
    "weird pseudo-dualism" describes most neuroscience that goes anywhere near consciousness
  • it is summer, the season of "no bug, do not be on me. be elsewhere u goober."