The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    A very important reminder that Mega Man X had a boss called Rangda Bangda.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    a rather annoying, if not overly difficult boss.
    He got upgraded into Rangda Bangda W in X5, except the walls now grow spikes with no way of you knowing it's about to happen.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    FX is showing Despicable Me 2, which is a crap movie

He got upgraded into Rangda Bangda W in X5, except the walls now grow spikes with no way of you knowing it's about to happen.

and this is why you
    nuke it from orbit.
    kill it with fire
  • protection from red
    Wrath of God is a white spell, though?
  • kill it with fire

• as is, fire and brimstone
    Tenth Edition Wrath of God is the pinnacle of Magic card design and I am mad they changed it for From the Vault.
  • edited 2016-05-22 05:11:25
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Aliroz said:

The worst Twilight Zone episode that doesn't involve glasses breaking is that one with the wheelchair lady and the telephone call with a stupidly mean ending where it was her dead husband all along calling her and now he won't talk to her because she told him to stop calling her.

An

I wonder if Stephen King's "The New York Times At Bargain Rates" wasn't inspired by this. It's significantly less bleak in some respects but about as sad.

Incidentally, Stephen King is much better at writing short, quietly unsettling magical realist stories than he is at long, unabashedly sentimental horror stories. That one and "Harvey's Dream" are masterworks. But I think that might also be age.
    What about King's horror stories are sentimental?
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I'm still intent on reading It, but the shorter stuff I've read has definitely stuck with me in some fashion.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Anonus said:

Just working off my memory, quite a few of his novels involve the surviving protagonists triumphing over supernatural evil through The Power of Love or the Magic of Friendship, even if he didn't explicitly call it that.

Also, as he got older, a lot of his novels have this undercurrent of sadness and nostalgia.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.

Aliroz said:

The worst Twilight Zone episode that doesn't involve glasses breaking is that one with the wheelchair lady and the telephone call with a stupidly mean ending where it was her dead husband all along calling her and now he won't talk to her because she told him to stop calling her.

An

I wonder if Stephen King's "The New York Times At Bargain Rates" wasn't inspired by this. It's significantly less bleak in some respects but about as sad.

Incidentally, Stephen King is much better at writing short, quietly unsettling magical realist stories than he is at long, unabashedly sentimental horror stories. That one and "Harvey's Dream" are masterworks. But I think that might also be age.
    What do you think about The Dark Tower, considering that's one long, quietly unsettling magical realist story (at least from my understanding of it)?
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Anonus said:

It's best experienced through reading one of his works, but it can be boiled down to this: In most of King's works, good and evil are antithetical forces even if they are mixed within individual people, and goodness tends to be associated with nostalgic and comfy emotions in a very sentimental manner, whereas evil is represented as that which corrupts the safe world of the sentimental or as depravity in opposition to this innocent state. His short fiction tends to buck this more often, occasionally introducing the horrific not as something evil but as something inexplicable, or draws on both human cruelty and the absurdity of life as sources of unease—as in "Chattery Teeth", with its contrast between the vicious psychopath who hijacks the protagonist's car, the looming vastness of the desert storm that overtakes them, and the sinister enigma of the titular item.

I prefer writers where the implicit moral framework is more complex, less obvious, or at least more interestingly integrated (or more sufficiently divorced from the scary bits) than that. My favourites are Thomas Ligotti, Joel Lane, Elizabeth Hand and, in a different way, Angela Carter. Clive Barker might be the exemplar of flipping the script in some ways, but that's another matter.
    Related: many readers were disappointed that the final book of the epic Dark Tower series involved so many of the villains dying like chumps. Yet this was a completely intentional development on Stephen King's part. Because he believed that evil sows the seeds of its own destruction.

I have nothing against that philosophy, but it seems at odds with writing, you know, horror.

Aliroz said:

An

What do you think about The Dark Tower, considering that's one long, quietly unsettling magical realist story (at least from my understanding of it)?
    His fantasy stuff is less subject to this issue because it's less scare-oriented and, for that, less formulaic. I've also heard that From a Buick 8 is pretty unabashedly Lovecraftian in themes, so maybe it avoids those problems as well.

His most successfully scary story, for me, is "1408". The film sabotages it with a conventional ending with a blatantly supernatural ending; the story's ending is far more ambiguous and quietly horrible.
    MetaFour said:

Related: many readers were disappointed that the final book of the epic Dark Tower series involved so many of the villains dying like chumps. Yet this was a completely intentional development on Stephen King's part. Because he believed that evil sows the seeds of its own destruction.

I have nothing against that philosophy, but it seems at odds with writing, you know, horror.
    Exactly.

Although I'd say it can still work if you acknowledge that evil men are just small fish in a very big, scary pond. I'd quote the mystic's spiel about true, Capital-E Evil from Machen's "The White People", but you're probably already familiar with it.
    I am, if you can't tell, more a fan of "the weird" in horror fiction. Fatalism, absurdism, cosmicism, those sorts of schools of thought. Existential and pessimistic ideas about morality and life make for better horror than reassuring or conventionally karmic ones.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Poor Anonus. I ordered him a regular Coke but the Domino's only had Diet Coke

I am, if you can't tell, more a fan of "the weird" in horror fiction. Fatalism, absurdism, cosmicism, those sorts of schools of thought. Existential and pessimistic ideas about morality and life make for better horror than reassuring or conventionally karmic ones.

Sounds like it!

Poor Anonus. I ordered him a regular Coke but the Domino's only had Diet Coke

Yes, poor me

I've also heard that From a Buick 8 is pretty unabashedly Lovecraftian in themes, so maybe it avoids those problems as well.

Yes and no. Taken in isolation, From a Buick 8 is definitely Lovecraftian, and the protagonists never really figure out what that car's deal is.

But From a Buick 8 isn't in isolation. It's connected to the Dark Tower Cycle (it even says so in the later Dark Tower books), and with that additional context, it's very clear exactly what's going on with the car. So, the question is, how well does a novel about the unknowable and inexplicable work, if the characters can never figure out what's going on, but the reader can?

I don't exactly have the answer for that.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    As someone who read From a Buick 8 but never the Dark Tower series, it certainly worked as Lovecraftian for me
    In Colorado, ambulances and fire trucks have red and blue lights and that was really confusing to me for a bit
    MetaFour said:

I've also heard that From a Buick 8 is pretty unabashedly Lovecraftian in themes, so maybe it avoids those problems as well.

Yes and no. Taken in isolation, From a Buick 8 is definitely Lovecraftian, and the protagonists never really figure out what that car's deal is.

But From a Buick 8 isn't in isolation. It's connected to the Dark Tower Cycle (it even says so in the later Dark Tower books), and with that additional context, it's very clear exactly what's going on with the car. So, the question is, how well does a novel about the unknowable and inexplicable work, if the characters can never figure out what's going on, but the reader can?

I don't exactly have the answer for that.
    This is an interesting conundrum. Perhaps the key here is the reaction within the story and the understanding that the characters are unprepared to deal with this thing which, even if it has an explanation in a greater story, is utterly alien to them. Which changes the kind of horror from purely enigmatic to nastily ironic.

In any case, I feel like horror works best if it conveys the sense that even if there are rules and reasons for things to happen, the one breaking the rules does not know or understand them, and perhaps could not understand their implications or logic even if they were told them. You find a strange coin and take it home: You have broken the rules, and you will be punished. You walk down an unfamiliar street in a familiar neighbourhood: You have broken the rules, and you will be punished. You sleep in by half an hour, and take a later bus than usual: You have broken the rules, and you will be punished. And so on.

As someone who read From a Buick 8 but never the Dark Tower series, it certainly worked as Lovecraftian for me

We need to talk more about books and things because you're always surprising me even when, in retrospect, I shouldn't be surprised at all.
    Anyway, off to bed or whatever now. See youse.
    I should read more, because Centie has mentioned Stephen King before and I never got around to it, and I want to talk about books with her :<
  • kill living beings
    holy shit you can put hexes in a rectilinear grid by warping the axes what the fuck [excited gifs]
  • Hey Klino is there a mathematical reason why no equilateral polygon with more than six sides can be tesselated?
  • kill living beings
    yeah, but i don't understand it. something to do with the symmetry group of the polygon.
  • Symmetry groups: a concept I'm vaguely aware of maybe

I think it was mentioned in that video about turning spheres inside out that I didn't watch in its entirety
  • re, horror: the scariest horror to me is stuff where The Scary Thing is something non-understandable.

That's why black holes freak me out

just sittin up there in space

eating light and time itself.
  • Rivers Cuomo is way too old for his shtick

...is an observation I made independently, but has likely been made many times before
  • kill living beings
    if you read a relativity textbook then black holes become either cool (physicists) or remind you of a lot of dull maths (me)
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Kexruct said:

Hey Klino is there a mathematical reason why no equilateral polygon with more than six sides can be tesselated?

regular polygons? you can't fit three of 'em together, the angles are too big
    the angle is (n-2)180/n which only divides cleanly into n when n is 3,4,6
  • if you read a relativity textbook then black holes become either cool (physicists) or remind you of a lot of dull maths (me)

Kexruct said:

Rivers Cuomo is way too old for his shtick

...is an observation I made independently, but has likely been made many times before

indie rock in a nutshell in some ways, eh?

not that it can't produce good results.
    the symmetry thing is that if you have fivefold symmetry or sevenfold or more symmetry then you can't have translation symmetry too because you can imagine the plane as the complex numbers and rotation as multiplying by a root of unity; then add the root and its inverse and you get like 1+sqrt(5)/2 or someshit that isn't rational and then you can show it has to have arbitrarily small translation symmetry which lol
  • Tenth Edition Wrath of God is the pinnacle of Magic card design and I am mad they changed it for From the Vault.

Thank you!

Stupid Theros upsetting a perfectly good thing
  • I'm genuinely unsure if there is any alternative to Rivers's "look at me and my nerdiness" vibe at this point.

I'd argue that Weezer is probably still around because it resonated so well with that crowd of young dorks that were into power pop in the 90's, and even though most of the fans ended up growing out of it the band still clung to the style for fear of alienating their audience.

Their most reviled album, released in 2009, is a perfectly fine pop album, with decently written hooks and slick production values, but it's so far from the boys that sung about having X-Men and Kiss posters in their garage that the public couldn't make left or right of the thing.

More recently they've done a better job of replicating the old feel and it's led to the best critical reception they've had in a decade if not more.
  • (They're one of my favorite bands, if it wasn't obvious. I still haven't heard The White Album but I've always appreciated the majority of their work, fan reception thereof be damned.)

Pinkerton is still my favorite tho. You listen to it and you wince at how damn awkward the lyrics are, but that awkwardness and how it makes growing up a pain in the ass -- feeling old even when you're still young, unrequited love, falling in lust with a Japanese schoolgirl (okay maybe not that one) -- is what makes it relatable and what really defines it as a work, moreso than any other release of theirs.
  • Honestly? I totally dig the White Album. I... kind of detest a lot of their stuff though like every other nerd.
  • Getting used to this dieting thing.
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    Kexruct said:

Honestly? I totally dig the White Album. I... kind of detest a lot of their stuff though like every other nerd.

"like every other nerd" - is this a thing? I didn't know this was a thing
  • Noise cancelling earphones are great.

Until you take them out and can't hear anything because your ears are plugged up.
  • I think I'm not straight