The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• Living tissue over endoskeleton.
    X-Men Origins: Wolverine would've been at least 4% better if it didn't have such a blatant "LOOK AT OUR NEW FRANCHISE" title.
    You could get another 2.7% if you cut out all the Weapon X stuff (since X2 already did that way better) and just focus on Team X and shady CIA adventures, but now we're squeezing blood from a stone.
  • Origins: Wolverine had that bullshit mute Deadpool thing that was Ryan Reynolds but then wasn't

I don't think I disliked it when I saw it but I do remember being distinctly disappointed by that
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I'm Princess Alice, and you're watching Queen City's CBA 2!
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Okay, bedtime for me, finally
  • @Jane Google "The Krion conquest" right. Now.
  • What I should be doing: revising for exams

What I'm actually doing: playing Plants vs Zombies 2 on my iPod
  • My dreams exceed my real life

Carpenters say a lot of pretty pretentious things for something pretty simple. In fact, a lot of carpentry hasn't even solved the same problems from thousands of years ago. There hasn't been a single advancement in carpentry since the invention of the hammer.

The deceptively simple "Hammer Method" only involves a little critical thinking. (which I'm sure most carpenters are incapable of doing)

Let's say you have a nail. Now carpenters might spend forever wallowing in angst over whether a nail is the correct implement or not.. The hammerer asks, "Is it a nail?" If the answer is yes, swing the hammer.

Maybe you have a screw. A carpenter uses a far too lengthy process that they themselves call "boring." Even they don't find it interesting, W-O-W!!! Because a hammerer recognizes that screws are just sexed up nails. The solution, as always, is to swing the hammer.

Perhaps you need to pry something open. A carpenter, the idiot that he is, might suggest a crowbar, which is just a glorified hammer claw. Even the technically right solutions are only derivative of the hammer.

Have you ever read anything by a carpenter? Its all nonsensical, unreadable stuff about measurements or wood grains or some other shitty carpenter jargon. Hammerers don't need manuals or complicated, specialized tools. "Is it a nail? It Always Is." That's the only thing you need to work with wood. Anything else is just mental masturbation.

If there are any carpenters reading this and getting ready to type up a mad comment, I'm already laughing at your useless wood studies "degree." The fact that universities will pay to teach naive students useless knowledge makes my blood boil.

Carpenters can sit in their workshops making birdhouses while us with the hammers will be building bridges and skyscrapers.

• kill living beings

yep, that's wood
  • So I gave myself a DIY haircut
  • I've done that. Sort of. Mine wasn't a full haircut so much as it was a DIY split ends trim and cutting my fringe so I could see properly again.
  • Same here. My fringe, when wet, covered my face. So I chopped it back so I could see.

Problem is, I have naturally curly hair, so if I looks short when it's wet, it's even shorter when it's dry. So I have to be careful not to cut too much off.
  • Though I am due a proper haircut soon. I'm just doing enough so that my hair is manageable until then.
  • Same here.

I need to decide if I want to go with the short pixie again, or a little longer shaggier pixie-ish thing, or if I want more of a wedge style that's short in back but still a little longer on the sides.
  • I've got a wavy long bob, so it's a pain to manage once it goes a few inches past my shoulders.
    Something Awful as a culture

Goon internet critic thread: Doug Walker is mediocre, but seems like a nice person.

Internet critic: Actually, Doug is a bad person who mishandled several extremely sensitive situations in destructive ways

Goon internet critic thread: WOW, Doug is a BAD PERSON! *watches every single movie he makes like a hawk, because a hatecrush has been provoked and they will stop at nothing to support him while whining about how bad he is*
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    goon romance sure is weird
    MY GIRLFRIEND'S GIRLFRIEND

SHE LOOKS LIKE

YOU
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Which operating system do you guys prefer: Lunatix or PriceyBSD?
  • So I'm writing our past papers by hand, and my handwriting started out really neat.

It's now just gone all squiggly and illegible.

So illegible that even I can't read it.
  • My arm is about to drop off.
  • No more writing tonight.

My wrist is very nearly in need of a wrist support.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Tre said:

Origins: Wolverine had that bullshit mute Deadpool thing that was Ryan Reynolds but then wasn't

I don't think I disliked it when I saw it but I do remember being distinctly disappointed by that

i felt similarly, i remember i liked him for the very brief portion in which he was Ryan Reynolds, though
  • same

I'm glad he was finally able to do the role in a way that actually made sense, he'd been pushing for it for a long time and he clearly loved doing it
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

I dunno, it would be nice if I could build a sustainable lifestyle around staying home and avoiding people as much as possible

Instead of having to go out and work a job every day

i've thought this a bunch of times (though if i catch myself thinking it these days i remind myself how depressed i was when that *was* more or less my lifestyle, and then the idea becomes less appealing)
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I liked Deadpool so much that part of me actually wants to watch Green Lantern now.

I suspect I might like that more than a lot of people did. After all, I liked John Carter more than a lot of people did.
    A Dell Dimension 8400 came in.

Customer wanted data retrieved off of it, which is fine. However, she's giving the computer away to another person. It's still running Windows XP and I cannot in good conscience suffer an XP install to exist while I can do something about it. Problem is, Ubuntu won't even run on it: The 8400's got a Pentium 4 with 1 GB of RAM, and Ubuntu wants something slightly more capable.

I don't even have XP install media in the shop. What do I do? Do I just leave the install there? Do I wipe it blank? Can I even find a modern Linux that will run on early 2000s hardware?
    You are going to have to run an copy of Ubuntu that is no longer supported. Or you just tell them hey you have XP this thing is as good as hacked and you can't put a newer OS on it. I'm getting the data off of this but you need to throw it out.
    "Accidentally" drop a big hammer on it instead? Why the fuck anyone would bother with a P4 laptop in tyool 2016 is beyond me.
    Goons can be such technology snobs

I'm not gonna encourage anyone to run XP but if you have a functioning computer that can't run anything newer, it's stupid to throw it out
  • kill living beings
    if you're going to be that hardline you should at least have the due diligence to find a working Linux distro
  • edited 2016-04-28 21:24:54
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Dude, I am using an XP at this second.  My sister's school computer that she won't need anymore now that she's got a newer computer.  (The one I was using before this, Novus Computador, successor to El Computador, successor to the great La Computadora, died a couple months ago)

Nameless Computerbox is really a super great computer.

Dangit, I remember when XP was the great new thing!
  • Using XP is probably fine as long as you're not trying to keep any serious personal information on it while also browsing the internet.

And anyway, this reminds me of people being fucking baffled that anyone still buys PS2s. Not everyone tries or even wants to keep on the cutting edge at all times.
  • kill living beings
    it would be nice if computer software lasted longer, but it does not, and so I avoid singingthe praises of asbestos
  • I've still got my brother's old PS2 laying around. Might still work if I could find a way to connect it to my TV.
  • Though I do have a PS3 and PS4 now...
  • I am definitely coming down with something. I can't sleep very well, I'm burning up, I have headaches and sore throats all the time...
  • WTF is going on with these thread titles?!
  • Fuck it, I'm out
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    see ya, Tools from two hours ago
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    I remember when the Television show House came out and it was, like, the show with the jerkface doctor who got away with stuff that would get real people fired in a heartbeat and it was all "adult" and stuff, because at least he was saving lives or whatever.

And, like, today I realize that it was a reference to Sherlock Holmes the entire time because Holmes = Homes = House.

note the street address
  • edited 2016-04-29 00:58:36
    kill living beings
    Wikipedia said:

House's address is 221B Baker Street, a direct reference to Holmes's street address.

really now

ninja
    also Dr. House and Sherlock Holmes were both drug addicts
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Gregory?

I woulda gone with "Basil house".  Like Basil Rathbone.