The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• Well I was going to go out for a walk, but now I am not. 
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Don't let the weather stop you!

say FUCK YOU WEATHER
  • There's a massive hailstorm going on. 
  • I'm half expecting the power to go out any time now
    ...I take it back
  • Well, it's stopped and the sun is shining and there's blue sky, but there's also big black clouds that look like they are about to open up any moment now. 

But the hail storm was so heavy that it's turned the roofs on the houses outside my flat white. 
  • Toolsie said:

I'm agnostic in that I don't give a fuck

same
  • I guess the reason I'm having a mood swing is because the weather is having a mood swing. 
  • tools i feel really bad for sandwiching your post in between what was supposed to be a double post in the other thread
  • I know, I'm not mad about that.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)

I just don't appreciate my atheism being used as a punchline

I respect that. 

I wouldn't want my view to be a punchline, either.
  • It's just that I am really fucking pissed off with one of my team mates for this biology presentation, and that there is nothing I can do to make me not pissed off at her. 
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    People complain about the "she's a 700-year-old vampire but she's in the body of a 10-year-old" trope saying it's creepy

So, uh

What makes my roleplay persona's "I'm a 317-year-old alien but I can change my physical form to look like any age" thing meaningfully different so as not to be creepy?
  • edited 2016-04-25 19:08:07
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    It comes down to the purposes.

You use it to recapture the free-spirited-rambunctiousness of childhood. 

You use it to design cities and set up hilarious dialogues (with the Payne family playing the straight man).

A power fantasy, not a... other fantasy.

other fantasy
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Odradek said:

Maybe people would spend less time accusing atheism of being a religion if nu-atheists didn't habitually put political ideologies and philosophical stances in the "religion" pile whenever they want to cheaply dunk them.

on the other hand, look at conservapedia
    not that dawkins/harris aren't annoying but there are people who actually like ted cruz somehow
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Another political thing Little Alice didn't understand: government debt.

Like, the government makes the laws, right? So just make a law that says the government doesn't actually have to pay back its creditors. Problem solved!
  • Calica said:

there are people who actually like ted cruz somehow

Well, person.

Aliroz said:

It comes down to the purposes.

You use it to recapture the free-spirited-rambunctiousness of childhood. 

You use it to design cities and set up hilarious dialogues (with the Payne family playing the straight man).

A power fantasy, not a... other fantasy.

Rozzy's right. 

That makes sense.

I guess I just worry because I find it really hard to separate myself, even in the Princess persona, from my sex drive, if that makes sense. Which I'm not sure it does, now that I typed it.

Like, the government makes the laws, right? So just make a law that says the government doesn't actually have to pay back its creditors. Problem solved!

that's called defaulting, and is generally really bad because it destroys pretty much all trust.
    though there's also stuff like the platinum coin trick* that reduces the debt by magicking a trillion dollars into existence in the treasury

*The Federal Reserve HATES him!  Learn this one weird trick to reduce government debt that conservatives don't want you to know about!
  • Wrestling in MTG colors:

White: Babyfaces

Black: Heels

Red/Green: Hotheads/Nature Gimmicks

Blue: Announcers, Referrees
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Well, it's not just what Aliroz said, although, with your fantasy, it's not *about* your sex drive.  That's not something you can just will away, but like, you wouldn't want to, no?  But that's not the focus of the fantasy.

(Furthermore, your fantasy primarily exists for your personal entertainment, so like, it doesn't really seem like it's up for critique.)

But the cliché you referenced catches flak *because it's a cliché*, and furthermore one that's kind of unsettling because it appears to persist for the enjoyment of people who fetishize children.

Even so, as a 'trope', i'd say it can be deployed badly or well.  It could be used effectively to create a sense of horror, for instance, or in the hands of an especially skilled writer it could be used more psychologically to create an interesting character arc.  That's generally not what people are complaining about, though.

Odradek said:

atheism-trolling-sandbox-1597280.png

It's funny because someone said something intentionally ignorant, then acted smug when people corrected them!
    As to this, i admit i find it pretty funny, sorry.

What makes it funny is the person literally claimed to be trolling in that exact tweet and people still took the bait.  That and, like, it doesn't seem that big of a deal to me?  'Atheism is a religion' is not an offensive statement, merely a factually inaccurate one.
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    Down to 238 lbs. from 274 last summer, still with no visible change in appearance and no real change in diet. Weird
  • Down to 238 lbs. from 274 last summer, still with no visible change in appearance and no real change in diet. Weird

doctors must hate you, mate
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Well at least you did it!
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Finished Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt season two. I enjoyed it.
    Doctors HATE him! Find out his secret
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

Down to 238 lbs. from 274 last summer, still with no visible change in appearance and no real change in diet. Weird

Did you cut calories
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    I've been trying to eat less overall, but not really succeeding
    Anonus said:

Did you cut calories
    Calica said:

that's called defaulting, and is generally really bad because it destroys pretty much all trust.
    Little Alice's response would have been: "You don't need trust! You just make a law that says certain groups are required to 'lend' the government money and the government is not required to pay them back. Then you throw anyone who tries to fight against this in jail."

Little Alice thought authoritarianism was the solution to all social problems.

Tachyon said:

Well, it's not just what Aliroz said, although, with your fantasy, it's not *about* your sex drive.  That's not something you can just will away, but like, you wouldn't want to, no?  But that's not the focus of the fantasy.

(Furthermore, your fantasy primarily exists for your personal entertainment, so like, it doesn't really seem like it's up for critique.)

But the cliché you referenced catches flak *because it's a cliché*, and furthermore one that's kind of unsettling because it appears to persist for the enjoyment of people who fetishize children.

Even so, as a 'trope', i'd say it can be deployed badly or well.  It could be used effectively to create a sense of horror, for instance, or in the hands of an especially skilled writer it could be used more psychologically to create an interesting character arc.  That's generally not what people are complaining about, though.

...yeah, that makes sense.

I feel like I should have more to say but I can't really think of anything.

Calica said:

Little Alice's response would have been: "You don't need trust! You just make a law that says certain groups are required to 'lend' the government money and the government is not required to pay them back. Then you throw anyone who tries to fight against this in jail."

isn't that just taxation tho
  • Wrestling in MTG colors:

Artifacts: folding chairs
    Tachyon said:

Calica said:

Well, I mean when you put it that way, yeah, but Little Alice didn't really think these things through.
  • need explosions.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    So, yeah, I reread Redwall over the weekend and...

holy crap, that's as good as I remember, and waaaaaay darker and more intense than I remember.

• Haven said:

Wrestling in MTG colors:

Artifacts: folding chairs
    Artifacts: 

• Aliroz said:

So, yeah, I reread Redwall over the weekend and...

holy crap, that's as good as I remember, and waaaaaay darker and more intense than I remember.

Anything specific? Redwall's still on the glory list, but the details have gotten sketchy over time
  • kill living beings
    I confess I don't understand the realities of production well enough to understand why a decent pair of khakis costs twice as much as some digital doohickey

and I remember redwall being more, eh, medieval, than the latter books

I confess I don't understand the realities of production well enough to understand why a decent pair of khakis costs twice as much as some digital doohickey

always wondered about this myself
  • Purrfect.

Tachyon said:

Calica said:

Well, I mean when you put it that way, yeah, but Little Alice didn't really think these things through.
    not only that, the trust i was thinking of in part included, you know, other countries
  • Also Centie was in my dream last night.

She was a magical princess who had to rescue me from Caliborn, who'd captured me for some reason involving the fourth wall and my obsession with Homestuck, and he was leaving both of us these little notes and somehow I had to send Centie the translations so she could find me.

And I wish I remembered more of it because it was a cool dream.
    That. Is. Awesome.

Really, my Princess-self should go on rescue missions more often. What good is having the most powerful magic in Centralia if I'm not saving people with it?