The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Odradek said:

Odradek said:

I feel like "liberal" is becoming to tumblr marxists what "prog" is to nerd fascists and insight wankers, and "pronatalist" was to antinatalists. Treating everyone outside of the clique as a subscriber to a monolithic yet ill-defined ideology.

Or "liberal" to, y'know, really conservative people.
    I have seen marxists use that "liberals liberals liberals" completely unironically multiple times
    Again: Mule boots.
  • edited 2016-04-24 22:56:36
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    I keep reading liberal as Illbleed.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.

why do printers use a different USB female argh

do not question the sexual preferences of electronics
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

no option to 'postpone' to an unspecified time, and it can't be minimized so it blocks other programs

if i click the cross, do you think it'll go away, or is it going to default to 'upgrade now' or something stupid like that?
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    choose a time
    no
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Choose time, then whatever, reschedule or cancel, cancel scheduled update. It'll come back in like four days, or whatever, but I've been doing that for some time now.
  • just do it tbh
    absolutely not

if i do, what will happen is, i will forget about it, and it'll upgrade

or i won't be able to figure out how to change it, because let's face it, i'm an idiot
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    As for reverting, this seems relatively straightforward.

By the way hey Tach.
    Hi Crystal.  How are you?

i guess if it's easy to change back that's not too bad . . . but really it's not Windows 10 itself i don't want, it's the upgrade process itself.  i don't want it to attempt to download and tie up my laggy old computer forever. :/
  • edited 2016-04-25 00:17:35
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I'm alright, I guess. Could be better could be worse. Most annoying thing is being sleepy when I want to do schoolwork. You?
    i was fine but now i am freaking out because of this stupid pop up.
    MICROSOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTT
    like if i choose a time when the PC won't be on, presumably it'll upgrade automatically as soon as i next load up my computer?  in which case i should choose a time when it will be on, so i can refuse it

unfortunately my schedule is erratic and in any case how would i know when i'm going to have the computer on
    i don't know how to be calm about this

i don't know what to do

i panicked and clicked upgrade now

shit
    it's going 'please wait'

cancel cancel cancel

it's not going to give me the option, is it?
  • open task manager and kill the program.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    You could ctrl-alt-del go to task manager and force quit it
    it didn't, but it did give me a 'back' arrow, and i clicked it

i will try that thing Jane, thank you
    what if you upgrade to 10 and it turns out to be a good thing, somehow?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

why do printers use a different USB female argh

What kind of weird-ass printers have you got?

All the printers and scanners I've had over the years have used a regular USB "B" port...

well, it's gone

that was *stressful*

like my goodness, i know this was the logical next step at the rate the pop-ups had been progressing, but i'm still kinda shocked they turned that *nasty*
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I feel weird, because, well...if I'd been exposed to the constant nagging, I'd probably hate Windows 10.

But the only reason I wasn't exposed to the constant nagging was that I upgraded as soon as I was given the chance.

:\

what if you upgrade to 10 and it turns out to be a good thing, somehow?

i have been somewhat looking forward to it, when i get a new, faster computer

but this evening's experience was so unpleasant i kinda don't want anything to do with microsoft ever again

unfortunately there exist no user-friendly alternatives that let me keep all my stuff, afaik
  • Tachyon: 

cat!

thanks Haven, i needed that
    TripleDent gum
    will make you smile
    TripleDent gum
    it lasts a while
    I have pretty much never used the multiple workspaces feature in Windows 10

Which I guess isn't surprising, because Linux window managers have had that for years and I never used it there either
  • y'all are weird
  • I use multiple desktops a lot on Linux, but I doubt I'd use it on Windows since all I do on Windows is play games.

y'all are weird

...do you use the multiple desktops?

I use multiple desktops a lot on Linux, but I doubt I'd use it on Windows since all I do on Windows is play games.

At times I entertain the idea of keeping a work (school) desktop and a play (HH, IRC) desktop separate but it just seems like more hassle than it's worth
  • no I meant like

I feel weird, because, well...if I'd been exposed to the constant nagging, I'd probably hate Windows 10.

But the only reason I wasn't exposed to the constant nagging was that I upgraded as soon as I was given the chance.

:\
    i don't see what's weird about that?

my brother uses the multiple desktops thing i think
  • I mean I don't have like a set collection of desktops, I just create and destroy em as needed. (Xfce has keyboard shortcuts for this which is nice.) Anytime I'm working on one "thing" which involves several open windows I'll make one. (For instance if I'm working on something in LaTeX I'll usually have a terminal window, text editor, and PDF viewer open in a desktop.)

I also put Steam in its own desktop anytime I have to open it because it likes to start interpreting mouse inputs incorrectly, which only affects the desktop it's open in.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    I still use Windows 7 for compat purposes.
  • kill living beings
    most of the really solid advice i got from my dad is on little things

like: to drown spices drink milk, not water
    drinking milk is good for many things

We
  • edited 2016-04-25 02:04:39

will

we

will

rock you
  • edited 2016-04-25 02:05:04
    My dreams exceed my real life
    matiasberg:    Skeksis from “The Dark Crystal”**PRINTS HERE **Skek's Art Print
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    The fact that one of the Crystal Stars is called the Garnet Star has in hindsight provided me with much amusement
    trial by stone
    At a point in time when every other person is an unblinking atheist, "A-fear-ism" offers the most cogent argument against the movement yet. Dispensing with philosophical jargon and pretentious posturing, religious educator Mat Dickie brings a refreshing dose of common sense to the debate. He exposes the ignorant assumptions made by the cynical mind, and reveals the arguments against religion to be anything but "rational". As the title of the book suggests, he considers atheism to be "the irrational fear of religion" - and leaves us in no doubt that we embrace such a negative world view to our detriment.

Gaming's most outspoken character finally speaks out about himself! For almost a decade, Mat Dickie electrified the games industry with his prolific output. He used unconventional methods to create unconventional games, and redefined what could be achieved by one man. Audiences responded accordingly and ensured his underground rumblings would resonate around the world. For the first time ever, the true story behind that fascinating period is documented in this comprehensive book. In his own words, Mat takes us on an emotional journey from the childhood dream to the adult that lived it out. Along the way, we learn about the life experiences that shaped his character and fuelled his resolve - and we get the final word on why it had to come to an end. You've played the games behind the life. Now get acquainted with the life behind the games...
    Former game designer, Mat Dickie, turns his attention to games of a different kind in this light-hearted exploration of man's favourite pastime! In his new role as a religious educator, he draws out the spiritual significance of sport and gives us a parable fit for the 21st century. From the nature of existence and the meaning of life to the benefits of meditation and the key to success, no stone is left unturned in this extraordinary interpretation of the world's major faiths. Sportuality will turn your passion for sport into passion for a life well lived.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I am so thankful that, to my knowledge, MDickie hasn't come out as a Gator and has just remained his weird self.