The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• the spiritual successor to Paperboy
  • Doing some late night stress induced binge eating

Because university
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    i hate dwarf gekkos i hate dwarf gekkos i hate dwarf gekkos i hate dwarf gekkos ihatedwarfgekkosihatedwarfgekkosihatedwarfgekkosihatedwarfgekkosihatedwarfgekkosihatedwarfgekkosihatedwarfgekkosihatedwarfgekkosihatedwarfgekkosihatedwarfgekkos
  • My dreams exceed my real life

i hate dwarf gekkos i hate dwarf gekkos i hate dwarf gekkos i hate dwarf gekkos ihatedwarfgekkosihatedwarfgekkosihatedwarfgekkosihatedwarfgekkosihatedwarfgekkosihatedwarfgekkosihatedwarfgekkosihatedwarfgekkosihatedwarfgekkosihatedwarfgekkos

But they're the Minions of Metal Gear!
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    So, now I have about  nine dollars in fines because I checked out a pair of headphones from the school library and turned them in two and a half hours late.

The first hour is six dollars, every hour after that is two dollars, and it increments every minute.

That's, like, for me, that's four video games and a one-dollar candy bar.  Or, three books that are on sale that nobody wants but me.  Or on a really really good day, nine books that are on sale that nobody wants because they are VCR repair manuals and guides to America Online and such things.
  • kill living beings
    please, that's at least fifteen vcr manuals

but yeah that's a steep fine
    Yeesh, that makes my bank's overdraft fees look reasonable.
    Goons are such idiots.

I heard two goons discuss internet memes today for what felt like five hours, and the idea that maybe, just maybe, you did not have to pronounce a universal normative stance on internet memes as such did not even enter their precious goony heads.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Yeah that's ridiculous, Aliroz.

And was this like a podcast, or?
    Yes.

The bad parts are increasingly invading the good parts and it sucks.

I am aware listening to podcasts is boring sperglord behavior for children who can't listen to sophisticated adult entertainment like death metal or some shit, so this is a problem for no one but me, but w/e
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Odradek said:

I am aware listening to podcasts is boring sperglord behavior for children who can't listen to sophisticated adult entertainment like death metal or some shit, so this is a problem for no one but me, but w/e
    no one here believes anything of the sort
    Also immediately after that, they make a Simpsons reference in lieu of an actual joke.

Fuckin' goons
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Odradek said:

I am aware listening to podcasts is boring sperglord behavior for children who can't listen to sophisticated adult entertainment like death metal or some shit

i'd be surprised if anyone here actually thinks this

i listen to some podcasts, sometimes
    I have multiple times tried to recommend people podcasts I like, and every time it has died and withered on the vine.
  • I don't listen to podcasts because I'm too easily distracted but

isn't listening to podcasts like, a normal thing? that normal people do?

I don't doubt there's some corner of the internet that looks on upon them but that's basically like looking down on watching tv or whatever at this point
  • edited 2016-04-06 22:20:30
    like my grandmother listens to podcasts
  • This entire forum has recently become a race to the bottom to see who can self-deprecate the most and I am getting reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal tired of it.
    Jane said:

This entire forum has recently become a race to the bottom to see who can self-deprecate the most and I am getting reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal tired of it.

Start posting this when people do it
    Make it talk son, make it talk

Ok now make it shut up
  • This is the reason I hardly post here anymore
    Odradek said:

No one here thinks that though, and I can name multiple people that are receptive to them off the top of my head. More a matter of priorities than anything (like how I somehow generally do not groove with gaming podcasts?).
  • Goodbye
    podcasts can be kinda long

i guess i'd like if people just assume that, generally, i don't have time to check out anything that's recommended to me, at this point

like i'll add it to the list if it sounds good, but even then, barring stuff i watch with my brother, i'm watching/listening to things at a rate of around one 25-minute episode a week, on average
    Toolsie said:

Goodbye

are you leaving?
  • Starcraft II has updated like 8 times in the past two days.
    Oh goddamnit I am driving people away again
  • edited 2016-04-06 23:10:40
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Tools generally says that when she goes off to do other things or sleep, doesn't she?

I also listen to podcasts now and then, but it's hard to know what to do while listening to one in the same way that it's hard to know what to do when listening to NPR or something. The main difference is that you can pause a podcast, which is convenient.

As for *this* podcast, I dunno. I've tried to stick out stuff like that before, but after a while it's simply not worth it. There are YouTube channels which I have unsubscribed from despite my generally being fine with the people running them for the simple reason that too much of their lame personal baggage was soaking into their good material. I mean, it's not fun, or easy, but neither is skipping half of a person's material to get to some genuinely interesting or funny stuff.

I do think going off on this stuff every time it happens when you know it's going to happen is stupid, though. Regardless of what you choose to do, if you want to put up with it, don't make others put up with it with you.
  • kill living beings
    I am great, though

Tools generally says that when she goes off to do other things or sleep, doesn't she?

I also listen to podcasts now and then, but it's hard to know what to do while listening to one in the same way that it's hard to know what to do when listening to NPR or something. The main difference is that you can pause a podcast, which is convenient.
    Yeah this straight up. It's easier than music, and I expect to listen to more music and podcasts when off at college, but right now it just feels... weird. It ultimately comes down to ineffectively doing multiple things unless gaming is worked in (and potentially other stuff), or focusing on that and wanting to do other stuff.
    I don't know how to make the time for podcasts

And listening to them in the background seems kind of weird to me
    I listen to it while I am walking.
    I will make a thread for podcasts I like if anyone has even the vaguest idea of trying any of them or posting about podcasts they like themselves
    well, do that

but please, don't get all antagonistic
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Yes.

It's fine to share and talk about stuff you like, but getting passive-aggressive or aggressive about people not sharing your interests is mean-spirited and rude. Being mad or sad about something else may explain bad behaviour, but it does not excuse it.
  • I used to listen to Welcome To Night Vale a lot and then I just kind of stopped.

I find podcasts hard to focus on for whatever reason.
  • me with podcasts:

1. opens 20-something tabs worth of RadioLab

2. listens to about one and a half episodes

3. remembers that time they were appallingly rude to that hmong man, and Robert's apology which is quite possibly the most "people are mad at me so i'm going to write an apology that isn't really an apology" thing i have ever read in my entire life

4. closes all the tabs, feels bad for about half an hour

me with podcasts:

1. opens 20-something tabs worth of RadioLab

2. listens to about one and a half episodes

3. remembers that time they were appallingly rude to that hmong man, and Robert's apology which is quite possibly the most "people are mad at me so i'm going to write an apology that isn't really an apology" thing i have ever read in my entire life

4. closes all the tabs, feels bad for about half an hour
    That's unfortunate, because I quite like that show and did not know about this.
  • i've tried to get over this so, so many times, but every time i remember it i cannot stand to hear them anymore until i forget about it again

i advise not looking into this, as it may very well ruin a perfectly wonderful show for you
  • edited 2016-04-06 23:47:45
    me with podcasts:

start listening

five minutes in get distracted by something

twenty minutes later realize I haven't been paying attention for twenty minutes

go do something else

I sometimes have the same problem with videos too but it's easier to stay focused when I have something to look at.
    ^^ But now you've mentioned it... :/
  • it will be fine if you... don't look into it
    I am now reminded of when I tried to listen to Hardcore History and got instantly driven away by how Rush Limbaugh-esque Dan Carlin's delivery is.
    Right now we are washing this movie, uh, American Pie. It ish quite good a movie, yesh, I like it very much. I fascht forward through most of it, until.. (sniffs)-yesh you shee thish part. He shees that there ish a pie left for him. He begins to think that this pie ish indeed what he deshires and as you shee deshides to make love to it, he wants to think that no one elshe will know. The resht of the movie ish not very important.
    A Bleary Entertainer stamps up to you in the Eclipse Tavern. Black ale sloshes out of her mug with every swaying step. "He was a friend, you know. The Absconding Devil." She downs what's left in her cup, before slamming it on your table. "Tell me: what gives you the right to decide other people's lives?"
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Things that seem perfectly normal when you live in a big city: "when you enter the courthouse, go up to the 22nd floor..."
    I'm not sure a 22nd floor even exists in my town.