The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• fight. dream. horse. love.
    "millennial John Updike" is the single worst phrase in the history of the English language
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

pumping lemma problems are super annoying

:agreed:

i can't remember anything where the pumping lemma is the best way to do it
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

Charles and Sarah are a typical New York creative class couple -- he's in finance, she works at a hipster small press, yet both are indie-rock East Village veterans who aren't above snorting a little heroin on the weekends. But when they decide to take the logical next step and buy a condo in one of the glass-and-steel skyscrapers now dotting the waterfront of Williamsburg, their lives start to fall apart almost the moment after they sign their mortgage; and this is to say nothing of their creepy neighbors, their possibly haunted apartment, job crises in both their industries, and former friends still in Manhattan who are determined to pull them back into the debauchery. A touching ode to the a--holes ruining Brooklyn, this literary debut of "the Millennial John Updike" is a funny yet wistful dramedy about young urban life during the Great Recession, and you do not need to be a New Yorker yourself to enjoy his smart insights about city living and growing older...although that certainly doesn't hurt.

This basic premise could be genuinely funny if they just took it to the really dark places it clearly seems to want to go and kept running without looking back.
  • kill living beings
    i should get serious about one of my writing things. gotta read up on the influence of geography on the bogomils

i should get serious about one of my writing things. gotta read up on the influence of geography on the bogomils

That would probably help me, too, bizarrely. Wanted to do something with the Bogomils...
  • kill living beings
    i'm just thinkin mountains is a good place to hide from crusaders. or a khanate.

also, i guess croatia (modern dubrovnik) had a maritime republic on par with venice? whoa dude. i guess that's why the fascists claimed that whole strip
  • kill living beings
    oh, italy controlled the area for a few hundred years too. whatever. irredentists.
    Ragusa said:

Its motto was "Non bene pro toto libertas venditur auro", which translated from Latin means "Liberty is not well sold for all the gold".

yep, definitely venice-y
    Ahhhh, the Dalmatian principalities!

I gave one of my main characters the surname of a notable Ragusan merchant family for a reason.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    who here has seen Zootopia?
    other than me?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I haven't, but I want to
  • I'm going onto it on Friday with a friend

(also, happy St. Patrick's Day, y'all, hope you're wearing lots of green)
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Zootopia hasn't quite enthused me to go see it like Deadpool did, but that might change.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    How do other heapers feel about casual use of magic?

*levitates my mug back to the Keurig because I can't be bothered to get off my fat ass*
  • How do other heapers feel about casual use of magic?

*levitates my mug back to the Keurig because I can't be bothered to get off my fat ass*
    there was a weekly world news article about how there was a severe obesity epidemic amongst psychics because they used their psychic powers for everything
  • kill living beings

Ahhhh, the Dalmatian principalities!

I gave one of my main characters the surname of a notable Ragusan merchant family for a reason.
    unfortunately i have like no understanding of western european history, and everything else is even worse

maybe i should read that massive book i stole found gathering dust on a shelf at school
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Oh, just fine, most of the time.

Makes Centie's Keurig explode
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    don't blow up keurigs, Crystal, even if they are environmentally dubious
    Welp, that leaves me with only one way to heat up my coffee now!

• kill living beings
    god, that thing. that fucking thing
    Or I could heat up the coffee with magic but turning magical energy into heat energy isn't very efficient.
  • I'm curled up in bed, sleeping away, and then someone revs up their motorbike outside my flats and now I'm wide awake.

I needed to get up anyway because I need to finish my lab book, but still.

How rude.
  • Anonus said:

I have!

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    *holds empty raspberry punnet under boiling water dispenser in attempt to clean glue out of it so it can be recycled*

*a second before the water comes out, the thought occurs that the clear plastic punnet probably won't be a great insulator, and puts it down under the nozzle, to be safe*

*boiling water comes out, MELTS THE WHOLE PUNNET, reducing it to a clear plastic pancake*

um
    it is now a flat piece of plastic with glue on it

turns out the glue is more resiliant than the plastic
  • Damnit Tach, don't make me laugh during a serious lecture on alcohol. 
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Dentists started using anesthesia before surgeons did, and for a while, surgeons considered anesthetic cheating.

It was sometimes referred to as "the Yankee dodge" because American dentists had started it.
    Toolsie's timetable:

15:00
    A Serious Lecture on Alcohol*

*BYOB
  • I wish.

Although I did have a bit to drink yesterday >_>

Just the one cocktail! 
    off to work
  • Have fun.

This lecture is two hours long.

There are 55 slides in this lecture.

It's nearly one hour into the lecture and we're only on slide 18.

18 slides out of 55 in one hour. 
  • All of me
    How dare you try to take all of me
    Can’t you see
    I exist wholly, with unbreached self-esteem, without you

My lips are mine
    How can I lose myself in you? I am still myself
    My arms are my arms
    Romantic love is a conscious expression of philosophy

Your goodbye
    Left me with eyes that cry
    But then I incorporated my own well-being into my hierarchy of values and acted accordingly

You took the part
    That once was my heart
    Love is not self-sacrifice, it is inherently selfish and I decline utterly any concept of love that does not take personal pleasure into account
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I was woken up today by somebody having a VERY LOUD conversation outside about hockey.

yntkt
  • There’s a saying old, says that love is blind
    in fact, a person’s sexual choice
    is the result and sum of their fundamental convictions
    Show me the person you sleep with and I will show you your philosophy of life
    and your valuation of yourself
    So I’m going to go seek a certain lad
    I’ve had in mind
    He is my equal and I want him to crush me.

Looking everywhere,
    haven’t found him yet
    He’s the big affair
    I cannot forget
    Only man I ever think of with regret
    I am in love with the concept of integrity

I’d like to add his initial to my monogram
    as a free choice only, never as a sign of ownership

There’s a somebody I’m longing to see.
    I hope that he turns out to be
    someone whose total and abject surrender permits me to celebrate myself

I’m a little lamb who’s lost in the wood
    I know I could be always be good
    To someone who sees a reflection of his deepest vision of himself in me

Although he may not be the man some girls think of as handsome,
    sex is an expression of self-esteem

Won’t you tell him please to put on some speed,
    follow my lead,
    Oh, how I need
    someone who’ll respond to my highest values
  • kill living beings
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    So, when I was a kid, Diablo was supposed to be the terrifying game for grownups.

So, for the last day of spring break, I thought, "I'm in college, I can take this.", and asked my uncle to let me play it on his computer with m cousins.

I noped at the Butcher.  
    Kexruct said:

Anonus said:

I have!

Yay

I've been worried that one of my ideas is way too similar to it >_<
    I've heard Diablo 2 is better.
    "Art is long, life is short" did not originally mean what it now means. It was originally said by Hippocrates, the Greek father of medicine. When he said "art" he was using the Ancient Greek word "Tekne" which is better defined as a technique or a craft, such as boat-building or cooking. Practical things you did with your hands to accomplish a certain purpose. The Greeks had arguments over whether medicine was a real craft, just as we have arguments as to whether sociology is a real science.

By "Art is long, life is short" Hippocrates was actually saying that medicine is a complex topic, and one only has a relatively short life to learn it. The statement was translated into Latin as "Ars longa, Vita brevis" and from there to English as the expression we are familiar with.

Of course, unlike "the exception that proves the rule" both senses are true observations, so it's easier for one meaning to replace the other without people complaining.
  • kill living beings
    my parents never let me play Doom 64 because it was rated M, and then when I played it anyway, the lighting was messed up so I couldn't see anything, so I never even beat the first level
  • I was woken up today by somebody having a VERY LOUD conversation outside about hockey.

yntkt

THIS ISN'T 'NAM, SMOKEY! THIS IS HOCKEY! THERE ARE RULES!
  • You know that feeling when you twang your shoulder and it hurts for the rest of the day?

Yeah, that happened to me.
  • Anonus said:

Kexruct said:

Anonus said:

I have!

Yay

I've been worried that one of my ideas is way too similar to it >_<
    Man it sucks that an idea of a modern city populated by intelligent animals was the completely unique and original basis of that movie, and that movie alone, darn, guess you can't use that anymore huh?
  • I've noticed that I walk much more quickly than I used to

I've noticed that I walk much more quickly than I used to

And yet silently, because you are a maximum stealth cat!
  • pfthehehehe oh please, more like maximum klutz cat
  • I've noticed that I walk much more quickly than I used to

Welcome to my world. I walk so fast that people struggle to keep up with me.