The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• We can do anything if we do it together.
    Tachyon said:

the more Calvin and Hobbes that get posted here the more smug it seems and then i feel sad because everyone else seems to find it so witty and charming.

Here's one C&H strip I don't think is smug at all:

• Hobbes Vs. The SJWs
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    O, then, I see Queen Mab hath been with you. 
    She is the fairies' midwife, and she comes 
    In shape no bigger than an agate-stone 
    On the fore-finger of an alderman, 
    Drawn with a team of little atomies 
    Athwart men's noses as they lie asleep; 
    Her wagon-spokes made of long spinners' legs, 
    The cover of the wings of grasshoppers, 
    The traces of the smallest spider's web, 
    The collars of the moonshine's watery beams, 
    Her whip of cricket's bone, the lash of film, 
    Her wagoner a small grey-coated gnat, 
    Not so big as a round little worm 
    Prick'd from the lazy finger of a maid; 
    Her chariot is an empty hazel-nut 
    Made by the joiner squirrel or old grub, 
    Time out o' mind the fairies' coachmakers. 
    And in this state she gallops night by night 
    Through lovers' brains, and then they dream of love; 
    O'er courtiers' knees, that dream on court'sies straight, 
    O'er lawyers' fingers, who straight dream on fees, 
    O'er ladies ' lips, who straight on kisses dream, 
    Which oft the angry Mab with blisters plagues, 
    Because their breaths with sweetmeats tainted are: 
    Sometime she gallops o'er a courtier's nose, 
    And then dreams he of smelling out a suit; 
    And sometime comes she with a tithe-pig's tail 
    Tickling a parson's nose as a' lies asleep, 
    Then dreams, he of another benefice: 
    Sometime she driveth o'er a soldier's neck, 
    And then dreams he of cutting foreign throats, 
    Of breaches, ambuscadoes, Spanish blades, 
    Of healths five-fathom deep; and then anon 
    Drums in his ear, at which he starts and wakes,
    And being thus frighted swears a prayer or two 
    And sleeps again. This is that very Mab 
    That plats the manes of horses in the night, 
    And bakes the elflocks in foul sluttish hairs, 
    Which once untangled, much misfortune bodes: 
    This is the hag, when maids lie on their backs, 
    That presses them and learns them first to bear, 
    Making them women of good carriage
  • you see, he could be right, but i will never know

because, you see, im never going to hear that musical number
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    no, that strip is not smug

it's rather painful, but not a bad strip in the slightest
    I once saw an insight wanker respond to a tweet about how plain English Shakespeare proves the importance of poetry in language by saying "By your logic, shouldn't I prefer lossless mp3 files?" or something like that.

And I remember that because it was one of the most impressively thoughtless and tone deaf things I had ever heard

you see, he could be right, but i will never know

because, you see, im never going to hear that musical number
    Okay, you do not need to.
  • edited 2016-02-08 02:51:42
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    Tachyon said:

no, that strip is not smug

it's rather painful, but not a bad strip in the slightest

I may go and dig up some more non-smug C&H strips for you later.

If I do, I'll probably post them in the Newspaper Comics thread and @ you, if that's okay.

FWIW, I don't disagree that the strip did get a bit preachy in its later years, and that it was a good thing Watterson pulled the plug when he did.
    In fact it might have been politer to just ignore me in that case
  • i mainly posted that strip because my immediate thought upon seeing it was

Hobbes Vs. The SJWs

anyways, as i mentioned on tumblr, there is something about this kind of sentiment that i almost agree with, but the way that most people (including Bill here) articulate it seems deeply flawed
    @Section42L That is OK, if you feel like doing that.

i mainly posted that strip because my immediate thought upon seeing it was

Hobbes Vs. The SJWs

anyways, as i mentioned on tumblr, there is something about this kind of sentiment that i almost agree with, but the way that most people (including Bill here) articulate it seems deeply flawed
    again

FWIW, I don't disagree that the strip did get a bit preachy in its later years, and that it was a good thing Watterson pulled the plug when he did.

• i mainly posted that strip because my immediate thought upon seeing it was

Hobbes Vs. The SJWs

again

this is again the thing where i can't tell how these two things are supposed to quite mesh

i mainly posted that strip because my immediate thought upon seeing it was

Hobbes Vs. The SJWs

again

this is again the thing where i can't tell how these two things are supposed to quite mesh
    I was just pointing out that I understand if you find that strip to be a bit flawed in its phrasing.

Noted, though.
  • edited 2016-02-08 03:00:31

i wasn't thinking that the strip was irritatingly preachy, i just thought that on this subject, the mark was missed, and it's a subject where:

1. getting it a little wrong gets sticky fast

2. most people seem to get it wrong

honestly, i can't ever think of a Calvin and Hobbes strip where i thought "gee, this is preachy"
    that one about heavy metal as a commodity that got posted here the other day

also all those ones about bubblegum fanzines
  • Not tonight please
    not tonight what
    ugh i'm doing it aren't i

i complain about negativity and i'm as bad as the worst
  • I enjoy Calvin & Hobbes.

I ever tell you guys about the time my stepdad moved out and took all the comic anthologies he had bought for me as birthday gifts over the years with him? Hahahaha.

Ha.
    ^^^^^ Yeah, I get you now. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

^^^^ I admit that I like those strips, but can understand why you don't.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Tachyon said:

that one about heavy metal as a commodity that got posted here the other day

also all those ones about bubblegum fanzines

It's worth noting, I think, that those were from later in the strip's run, around 1994-95...for the vast majority of its run, it wasn't like that
    i dunno

i didn't bring this up before because it feels like . . . i dunno, like i'm complaining about Fred Rogers or something like that, the way people talk about those cartoons

i feel uncomfortable, my opinions are bad
  • I think I miss the Far Side one more, those are harder to find online.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Jane said:

I enjoy Calvin & Hobbes.

I ever tell you guys about the time my stepdad moved out and took all the comic anthologies he had bought for me as birthday gifts over the years with him? Hahahaha.

Ha.
    :/
    Tachyon said:

i dunno

i didn't bring this up before because it feels like . . . i dunno, like i'm complaining about Fred Rogers or something like that, the way people talk about those cartoons

Looks to be, to me, not much more than you having differing tastes and that the jokes you're not fond of might be common around here, so you don't get proper representation.

Even so, doubt anyone here would mind if it ended up being a different strokes for different folks deal.
  • Tachyon said:

i dunno

no they're not

if you didn't read them as a kid (and if I may make a small assumption, I don't think many American newspaper strips are popular in the UK) you don't have the nostalgia associated with them, so you're seeing them as an adult for the first time and make different judgments about them that are not necessarily better or worse.

Honestly, again people, we're doing this thing where someone doesn't like A Thing we have decided is important to us and then jumping on them for it. Let Tachyon not like C&H.
  • edited 2016-02-08 03:16:56
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    ^^ maybe

i should note there've been plenty of C&H i liked that got posted here, i just kinda, idk, assume that people post the strips here because they're especially good ones, so the ones i didn't like i took as more representative of the tone than they maybe are
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Jane said:

Honestly, again people, we're doing this thing where someone doesn't like A Thing we have decided is important to us and then jumping on them for it. Let Tachyon not like C&H.

Uh...I don't think any of us were doing that, though? Section and I agreed that the later C&H strips got a bit on the preachy side, even...
  • My personal favorites came from the middle of the run and the very, very end, like the last 50 or so I remember being very good.

The stuff where Calvin and or Hobbes complains about something tended to be filler basically. 

That said you are allowed to not like them, and you're certainly allowed to not like the strip, in general.
    Jane said:

Tachyon said:

i dunno

no they're not

if you didn't read them as a kid (and if I may make a small assumption, I don't think many American newspaper strips are popular in the UK) you don't have the nostalgia associated with them, so you're seeing them as an adult for the first time and make different judgments about them that are not necessarily better or worse.

They liked that one strip that I linked, and I still intend on linking them others that they might like.

If they don't, I won't argue it further.

Is that okay?
  • Jane said:

you... sure about that?

like, the strongest thing stated has been me saying "I don't find these strips preachy", and for the most part the discussion hasn't even been directed at Tach
  • Oi.

I'm going to go find out how hard it is to get Heretic working on Windows 8.
    fwiw i didn't feel like anyone was seriously having a go, it's fine

and i think you may be right, Jane, about the nostalgia, since i never saw those strips as a kid

i read some Garfield, some BC, quite a lot of Peanuts and quite a lot of The Far Side, but i don't think i ever even heard of C&H before encountering fans online

I finally figured out what goons mean by "anime"

They mean "Thing that is silly in a way I dislike, and which I can in some way blame on a certain Japanese aesthetic"

Acknowledge my wise insights
  • kill living beings
    insufficient obsequience to Apollo
  • I finally figured out what goons mean by "anime"

They mean "Thing that is silly in a way I dislike, and which I can in some way blame on a certain Japanese aesthetic"

I have been to Something Awful like three times in my entire life.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Tachyon said:

^^ maybe

i should note there've been plenty of C&H i liked that got posted here, i just kinda, idk, assume that people post the strips here because they're especially good ones, so the ones i didn't like i took as more representative of the tone than they maybe are

I honestly wouldn't know. I never read them as a child, and have read them very randomly as an adult. Enough to get an idea, just not speak on it like Centie would.

Generally I assume they're posted as a referential joke or touching on something similar, rather than something to do with quality.
    Jane said:

Acknowledge them regardless!
  • Jane said:

Acknowledge them regardless!
    acknowledge these
  • kill living beings
    that's pretty nineteenth century Italian dance music of you
    Deez
    i feel like you are right Myr

but since i don't generally read SA and don't believe i've ever read them talking about anime, i'm not sure  where i get that impression
  • apparently American McGee made a DOOM II level once.
    that was his original claim to fame before he started making his own games

the first McGee's Alice was made using the Quake III Arena engine
  • kill living beings
    BECOME A GREAT ARTIST IN JUST TEN SECONDS

Lots of game dev types started out that way. Brendon Chung did a bunch of quake levels or whatever before moving to his c urrent Block-Based Storyish Games thing
    McGee's Alice strikes me as a series that holds a lot of fond memories for me, but which i probably wouldn't like as much if i discovered it for the first time now

at this point i'm pretty definitely of the mind that the first is the better game in every respect, except the visuals

but the sequel is incredibly pretty
    ugh i've got that persistent sound in my ears again

like this constant high-pitched whine
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Jane said:

apparently American McGee made a DOOM II level once.

He made level E4M4 of Ultimate Doom