The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
    I am so deeply disappointed Dinosaur Planet: Broncosaurus Rex is weird confederate apologism.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    How can an RPG setting be confederate apologism?  i'm not doubting you, just wondering how that works
    Taken from this post on the phenomenal Out of Context D&D tumblr. Go follow it! 
    Tachyon said:

How can an RPG setting be confederate apologism?  i'm not doubting you, just wondering how that works

The Union is portrayed as racist dirty greedy assholes who don't care about the finer things in life.

The Confederacy is portrayed as having freed the slaves a few years after the Civil War ended in a stalemate(somehow this did not collapse their economy) and now they are a magical land of honorable gentlemen who love to live in beautiful plantations, and the black people just don't own plantations because they don't want to.
    oh yuck

sounds dire

I know it's a looping gif of the same kitten but it's fun to imagine the door is actually a portal to the World of Infinite Kittens.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Acererak said:

Crystal said:

What's the appeal of Beavis & Butt-head? Like, what caused it to gain such a following, what resonated with its viewers or whatever.

I've read the Wikipedia article several times over the years, and I feel like I understand it, but don't get it.
    You know how Tom and Jerry cartoons derive humor from the physical pain they inflict on their characters? Beavis and Butthead is like that, but for teenagers.
    ... hm. That sounds strangely compelling, given I've always at least appreciated T&J.
    Kexruct said:

Crystal said:

What's the appeal of Beavis & Butt-head? Like, what caused it to gain such a following, what resonated with its viewers or whatever.

I've read the Wikipedia article several times over the years, and I feel like I understand it, but don't get it.
    Beavis and Butt-Head live in a world that is bending over backwards to teach them morals while somehow managing to avoid learning anything.

Acererak said:

It's not even morals, the world's trying desperately to teach them common sense and basic self-preservation and somehow they avoid all long-lasting harm from the repercussions of their actions.

This was all helpful, thanks. Definitely going to give it a fair shake sometime.
  • Eating for the first time in seven hours

• ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Food is good for you, tools.  You should eat food.
    as opposed to, like, rocks

do not eat rocks

rocks are not good for you
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Rock is though. Well, probably not good for you, it's pure sugar, but details.

Wish they'd release the price for the Vive already. Other things I want to buy, and it's hard to budget with missing data.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    you can eat rocks if you are a Goron
    Gorons are adorable
    i wanna give them a big hug, but my arms wouldn't reach around them
    especially Biggoron
    Especially Biggoron.
    Rito > Zora > Gorons
    i can't choose
    Darunia > Ruto though

in my opinion
    I like the cows

Ruto is kind of obnoxious, at least as a kid
    Dekus are jerks and so don't get listed.
  • TIL that lab technicians used to go up to the roof of the science centre and smoke up there.
  • kill living beings

I am so deeply disappointed Dinosaur Planet: Broncosaurus Rex is weird confederate apologism.

Update: The setting defeated itself hilariously, because in order to have cool dinosaur adventures, they made all the dinosaurs have human-level intelligence and their own societies and morals.

The Confederates still use them as farm animals though, because the book had a boner for agrarian plantation gentry, and didn't realize that they'd made the idealized confederates reinstate slavery, but with dinosaurs.

holy shit

I'm amazed how hard the douchebag(s) who wrote this fucked up something as simple as Dinosaur Planet
  • I am so deeply disappointed Dinosaur Planet: Broncosaurus Rex is weird confederate apologism.

Trying to rewatch Firefly was awkward because the American civil war analogy was stronger than I remembered. Like a general sci-fi "rebellion vs an evil empire thing"? Ok that's cool. Mal literally saying "we will rise again"? Uh.
    I am so glad I never watched Firefly because I didn't want the fandom to win.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    haven't you said the same thing about TTGL
  • edited 2016-02-02 22:39:41

nvm i am not doing this
    Yes
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    [insert negative reaction image here]
    Wait did I do something stupid?
  • Wait did I do something stupid?

it's like being the gamergate guy who wanted to like Pony Island but couldnt because Anita Sarkeesian liked it so it had girl cooties
  • We can do anything if we do it together.

Wait did I do something stupid?

it's like being the gamergate guy who wanted to like Pony Island but couldnt because Anita Sarkeesian liked it so it had girl cooties
    Pretty much this.

I'm saying this as someone who doesn't even like Firefly, too.
    I wasn't that interested in it.

I did watch Gurren Lagann, so my injunctions not to watch it are jokes, as are my injunctions for Firefly.
    The only thing you should watch/read/play/listen to/eat/etc. is Spirit: Stallion of the Cimmaron.

The only thing you should watch/read/play/listen to/eat/etc. is Spirit: Stallion of the Cimmaron.

true
  • The only thing you should watch/read/play/listen to/eat/etc. is Spirit: Stallion of the Cimmaron.

can confirm
  • i could half-sing half tunelessly hum every song from that movie from memory
  • edited 2016-02-02 22:55:01

you're a sooooldier nooooow
    riiiding into battleeee
    so be na na naaaaa, na na naaaaaaa
  • Angsty hipsters, with words: conceited
    The precepts of language: mistreated
    But with transcendent verse,
    China lifted this curse,
    The Bad Teenage Poets: defeated.
    from the afterlife Ezra Pound sheds a single tear
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I'm going to start a religion called CHRISTIANITY 2 and we'll go out on college campuses and preach about how heterosexuality is a sin
    Can I just say how utterly irritating it is that Pastafarians are campaigning to wear colanders on their heads for drivers license photos because Muslim women can wear hijabs?

Remember when that stupid fake religion was just about not teaching pseudoscience in schools? Neither do I.
  • Christianity 
    Christianity 2
    Christianity With A Vengeance
  • I think that everyone should be able to wear those giant jewish fur hats whenever they want because they're fucking awesome
    Church of the Sub-Genius and Pastafarians can go to hell.

The World Dog commands it.