The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i do get way too touchy about 'anyone can fake litcrit' i guess

probably it's true to a point, you can feign understanding of it probably more easily than you can something more mathy, especially if the person you're talking to also doesn't really understand the material, or is at least self-conscious about there being stuff they don't know

thing is you're actually encouraged to look at things more than one way and see if the result is interesting, so even if someone's BSing, it's not totally implausible they'll accidentally say something of interest

besides which *actually being good at lit* is not necessarily that difficult; is writing your own opinions "BSing" if your opinions are specifically what's being asked for?  so there's no need to fake anything

even so i don't think you could sustain complete gibberish at length without being found out, because the words do have meanings and only seem opaque to onlookers due to unfamiliarity with the subject matter
    screw it i know this is annoying but

Spoiler:
    i found lit theory really, really difficult

when i first approached it i knew the meanings of some of the terms, and other aspects of the theory made sense when the lecturers explained them, so i was never really thinking "what if this is just gibberish", instead i figured if i didn't understand it it was because *i* didn't understand it

and the more i have subsequently learned about it the more convinced i am of that, even though unfortunately i didn't get to grips with it quickly enough to do very well on the theory 1 module

when i hear people talking about how easy it is and how nonsensical it is and how easy it is to fake it idk how i'm supposed to interpret that other than that i'm just an idiot

tbh that was partly why i started to take an interest in other academic subject matter, i mean, i've always been interested in science stuff to a point, but i wanted to prove, to myself mainly, that i'm not stupid, that i can handle this stuff same as anybody else

and i guess in the process i hoped i'd figure out whether it really is that i got my ass kicked by an easy subject that normal people can BS their way through, or whether the stuff that seemed hard to me really was hard and people don't know what they're talking about

i should be over this by now but i'm really not

• My dreams exceed my real life
    No that's good and right.
  • booorn to be Kings they're the masters of the uuuniverrrse
  • bandander do you like Highlander
  • you seem like the kinda guy who'd like Highlander
    I have not gotten around to seeing it
  • I'm wearing a hoodie today.

And no one can say shit.
  • Tachyon said:

probably it's true to a point, you can feign understanding of it probably more easily than you can something more mathy, especially if the person you're talking to also doesn't really understand the material, or is at least self-conscious about there being stuff they don't know

first i will say that i broadly agree with naneys post in the other thread about flexible/inflexible terminology but think of it this way: 'anyone can fake litcrit' you could read as 'anyone can do litcrit without putting in work/effort and by just winging it'. well it is also true that anyone can make art without.putting in effort just by winging it, but this is not seen as a bad thing by most. i think that if anyone can be a.critic then yknow, great! question then is why do we see things as fake litcrit? honestly reading the postmodernist essay generator stuff, yes it sounds like it could be a genuine essay, but it sounds like a bad and confusing one. so it follows that not everyone can fake litcrit well. and what is so bad about 'fake' litcrit anyway? maybe it didn't take the effort to make but duchamp's urinal didn't take much effort in and of itself to put in an art gallery either? and if it's good fake litcrit then how do we tell that it's fake anyway? is this whole post actually fake litcrit in disguise?
  • Think I've lost weight. My normally perfect fitting size 16 skinny jeans are falling down.
  • edited 2015-11-26 12:06:03
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    sunn wolf said:

is this whole post actually fake litcrit in disguise?

• does not contain repurposed Marxist, Freudian, linguistic or phenomenological jargon
    • contains only one instance of prefix "post-"
    • does not namedrop any Continental philosophers

so i doubt it, unless it's a very good disguise

but you're right and the analogy to art makes sense

naney brought up "natural aptitude" and maybe that's my problem

maybe i didn't have that, so i'm bitter that people who do have that aptitude but have no interest in litcrit can go "this is piss easy anyone can do it, whole subject is worthless"

• i think a lot of people who think they have that natural aptitude do not actually have that aptitude.
  • I have no food in the house, except for some frozen mince, gravy and pasta. Experiment a bit, or just go grab some rice or something?
  • also i think you'll find that while i didn't namedrop any continental philosophers, i did namedrop duchamp
  • I'm 5'8, but there are still things I have to stand on my tiptoes for.
    It is Thanksgiving and also my brother's 11th birthday! Here is a picture he drew

• That is kind of adorable. A+.
  • TreTre
    edited 2015-11-26 15:12:17
    In other news: I found the tackiest thing ever.

i actually thought i had a natural aptitude for lit/writing at school

since it was easier than everything else we had to learn, and my grades were good, and other people seemed to find things hard which i found easy
    informative

Wow, this kid knows two identical twin Vietnam Vet hippy brothers
    You know what Mark Trail? Thanks for teaching me this, I did not know it 

Oh my god

I finally understand this SA smilie image
  • Half three and I've only just eaten
    Toolsie said:

Half three and I've only just eaten

same ^_^;
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Happy National Novembing Day, everyheaper!

May you eat a huge birb, if that's the kinda thing your family likes to do. ^_^
  • Tachyon said:

Toolsie said:

Half three and I've only just eaten

same ^_^;
    Really need to fix my eating pattern.

Whoops.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Tachyon said:

thing is you're actually encouraged to look at things more than one way and see if the result is interesting, so even if someone's BSing, it's not totally implausible they'll accidentally say something of interest

besides which *actually being good at lit* is not necessarily that difficult; is writing your own opinions "BSing" if your opinions are specifically what's being asked for?  so there's no need to fake anything

even so i don't think you could sustain complete gibberish at length without being found out, because the words do have meanings and only seem opaque to onlookers due to unfamiliarity with the subject matter

Tachyon said:

Spoiler:

when i first approached it i knew the meanings of some of the terms, and other aspects of the theory made sense when the lecturers explained them, so i was never really thinking "what if this is just gibberish", instead i figured if i didn't understand it it was because *i* didn't understand it

and the more i have subsequently learned about it the more convinced i am of that, even though unfortunately i didn't get to grips with it quickly enough to do very well on the theory 1 module

when i hear people talking about how easy it is and how nonsensical it is and how easy it is to fake it idk how i'm supposed to interpret that other than that i'm just an idiot

tbh that was partly why i started to take an interest in other academic subject matter, i mean, i've always been interested in science stuff to a point, but i wanted to prove, to myself mainly, that i'm not stupid, that i can handle this stuff same as anybody else

and i guess in the process i hoped i'd figure out whether it really is that i got my ass kicked by an easy subject that normal people can BS their way through, or whether the stuff that seemed hard to me really was hard and people don't know what they're talking about

To clarify my post: I do not actually think litcrit itself is easy-peasy, or what-have-you. I've faked it until I made it to trudge through school, but that's different. But just due to terminology I've seen folks fake it more effectively than in other fields; but that doesn't equate to faking it well, as I'm seeing sunn said.

Goes without saying to me that it's all pretty valuable to me, etc.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Golems in modern fantasy are always so samey. It's always flesh golems, or blood golems, or the classical elements. Where are our candy, origami, or bomb golems? :<
    Iron Council had a Time Golem
  • I wake up, I feel bloated and gross
  • aaahhh bleeehhg
    A Playstation magazine once ran a contest to win a first generation AIBO. This contest involved acting as a dog for a day. This included being taken for walks, playing fetch, and eating dog food.
  • A Playstation magazine once ran a contest to win a first generation AIBO. This contest involved acting as a dog for a day. This included being taken for walks, playing fetch, and eating dog food.

hot
    Did the 90s actually happen or were they a collective fever dream?
  • edited 2015-11-26 16:13:42
    ಠ_ಠ
    I was only alive for the last six years of the 90's, but I look at my baby photos and think "What the hell am I wearing?!"
  • Found a lone jelly bean on my desk

There is now no lone jelly bean on my desk
  • A Playstation magazine once ran a contest to win a first generation AIBO. This contest involved acting as a dog for a day. This included being taken for walks, playing fetch, and eating dog food.

hot
    I'm thinking there is no way this wasn't deliberate
    Thumbnails for files have just decided to stop appearing for me, and nothing I've tried via googling has helped.

Maybe I should install WIndows 10 or something.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I like Windows 10, but I'm amused that your solution to a minor problem is "maybe I should install an entirely new operating system"
    Crystal said:

Tachyon said:

Tachyon said:

Spoiler:

To clarify my post: I do not actually think litcrit itself is easy-peasy, or what-have-you. I've faked it until I made it to trudge through school, but that's different. But just due to terminology I've seen folks fake it more effectively than in other fields; but that doesn't equate to faking it well, as I'm seeing sunn said.

Goes without saying to me that it's all pretty valuable to me, etc.
    idk how i'd fake it tho

i literally dk

lol
    windows 10

fricken

microsoft keeps throwing up popups at me telling me to install it

i'm like NO but they won't stop
    happy thanksgiving
    to all american heap peeps
    happy national novembing day to all centralian heap peeps
    Maybe Windows 7 falling apart at the seams for me is a desperate attempt to get me to sign on to Windows 10