The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

Odradek said:

Well it's not like anyone has concrete reasons for celebrating Halloween, and St. Patrick's Day is just an excuse to get drunk.

At least Hallowe'en has some calendar significance: It's the midpoint between the equinox and the solstice.

On that note, I wonder why we don't celebrate some form Lughnasadh or Imbolc anymore...

Although you kinda do if you live here.
    Both of those are kind of foreign to my culture, but we *do* celebrate a harvest festival annually.

i guess Thanksgiving is in some ways similar, although it's later in the year?
  • My dreams exceed my real life
  • edited 2015-11-05 01:52:30
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Tachyon said:

Odradek said:

Well it's not like anyone has concrete reasons for celebrating Halloween, and St. Patrick's Day is just an excuse to get drunk.

At least Hallowe'en has some calendar significance: It's the midpoint between the equinox and the solstice.

On that note, I wonder why we don't celebrate some form Lughnasadh or Imbolc anymore...

Although you kinda do if you live here.
    Both of those are kind of foreign to my culture, but we *do* celebrate a harvest festival annually.

i guess Thanksgiving is in some ways similar, although it's later in the year?
    I mean that we kind of celebrate Candlemas in Pennsylvania, in our own special way.

I think the Mennonites and the like also celebrate Lammas, which is basically Anglo-German Lughnasadh, but that's pretty niche. Hallowe'en and May Day are the only two widely celebrated ancient mid-season fertility festivals that I can think of.
    oh, Groundhog Day

somehow i forgot that was an actual thing
    but no i meant over here we do celebrate a harvest festival, which is literally just called Harvest Festival
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Yeah. Punxsutawney Phil is our version of pardoning the turkey, really. And keeping away the accursed winterdemons with our hexing.
  • edited 2015-11-05 01:56:49
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Would zombies celebrate a Harvest Fleshtival?
  • My dreams exceed my real life

Yeah. Punxsutawney Phil is our version of pardoning the turkey, really. And keeping away the accursed winterdemons with our hexing.

You need something to counteract kids burning leaves as tributes to them in order to ensure snow days.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I can't think of any weird Ohio holiday traditions off the top of my head

Except that Columbus celebrates the Fourth of July on July 3rd and has trick-or-treat, which we call beggars night, one or two days before Halloween, driving Naney crazy.
    Odradek said:

You need something to counteract kids burning leaves as tributes to them in order to ensure snow days.
    When I was in fifth grade I got my English class to bow before a sacred snowflake I had inscribed on the chalkboard in order to beseech said awful snow demons. The teacher was highly amused.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Spoiler: HH will have HTTPS support soon, where by "soon" I mean "when Lee gets some free time to set it up"
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I wish my computer would boot up faster
    What do you mean by HTTPS support?

What do you mean by HTTPS support?

Until now, we didn't have an SSL certificate, so you're only able to view the site unencrypted.

Lee got approved for the letsencrypt.org beta, so once he gets a few things set up, you'll be able to view the site over a secure connection.
    Ohhhh!
  • edited 2015-11-05 02:55:36
    kill living beings
    not so much "unencrypted" as "unsigned"

so you don't technically know you're on HH. you could be posting on a shadow forum set up by Belgian hackers, on which they are posing as your friends and attempting to seduce you in character to get your credit card numbers.

but that will be fixed.
    I KNEW IT
  • Belgian Hackers Seduced My Ferret
    So I am going to head off and maybe watch some stuff with my mom now! See you!
  • by his mom he means the Belgian Hackers u~u
    meatspace does not have an SSL certificate

any time you talk to someone offline there is a chance they are actually a Belgian hacker
    or, better yet, a belgian waffle
    Tachyon said:

I'm sure the FBI would hate it if we did
  • Tachyon said:

any time you talk to someone offline there is a chance they are actually a Belgian hacker

the 2015 remake of The Matrix was quite controversial
    @Epitome should post more often
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    I can confirm that I am neither a Belgian hacker, nor a Belgian waffle.
  • edited 2015-11-05 03:13:26
    My dreams exceed my real life
    In Bruges is a good movie.
  • might be my fave comedy
  • meow meow meowtherfuckers

@Epitome should post more often

I'd like to imagine I summoned you with the latent magic in my words but I'm sure Jane or Cerise just told you on Skype I said that :P
  • kill living beings
    central's prayer was absorbed the darkness.
    i was summoned by the power of "eh, i'm bored, might as well check hh" 

but i mean princess magic sounds cooler so we'll go with that 
  • hi Epi Epi

what's goin on in your neck of the woods
    epiepiepiepiepiepiepiepiepi
  • I have yet to master the art of flipping an egg

I see Epitome has also come down with the Disease

it got to the point where it was so unavoidable i was just like "alright i need to get into this thing before i have the entire game spoiled for me" 

hi Epi Epi

what's goin on in your neck of the woods
    dealing with financial aid stuff for college
    except for the fact that the website isn't working and keeps giving me error pages and won't let me redeem my chump change
    AHA, FINALLY

All I had to do to solve the problem was complain about it on the internet. Amazing. 

magic
    just what we need, more complaining on the internet
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    *complains about cows*
  • cow complaint: more cows should be fluffy
    naney said:

cow complaint: more cows should be fluffy

there are fluffy cows.

complaint denied.
  • I didn't even realize this was the trash heap thread. 

I thought it had just disappeared
    Haven said:

I didn't even realize this was the trash heap thread. 

I thought it had just disappeared
    I am laughing so hard right now

I think it's your turn to rename it, now that Imi and I have had a go
  • @Epitome should post more often

Epitome said:

I laughed.
    so you missed when this was the otherkin thread, i take it
    When can we make a list of things Imi and Star Butterfly have in common